open/close all folders
- An ad campaign for Lynx deodorant used the tagline "angels will fall", and showed hot female angels plunging from Heaven to earth to be near the guy spraying on Lynx. Axe ran a similar campaign in the US.
- The Victoria's Secret Angels
Anime and Manga
- With a series like High School Dx D filled with attractive demons you'd expect there'd be at least one. We do get this in the form of Saint Brave Irina Shidou. Archangel Gabriel is also said to be the Most Beautiful Woman in Heaven, but we never see her face.
- Nanael from Queen's Blade is almost always shown flying around via Panty Shot close-ups, as well as just being all-around promiscuous for an angel. Of course, for an ecchi series so extreme that it borders on hentai with a plot, this is to be expected.
- Most of the angels of Neon Genesis Evangelion are of the Eldritch Abomination variety, but Tabris, aka Kaworu Nagisa, fits this.
- Saint Beast features a cast full of beautiful man-angels.
- In Ah! My Goddess, every Goddess (who are themselves Hot Gods) has a very hot and barely-dressed angel to assist them with supernatural stuff.
- Dark and Krad of D.N.Angel are technically two halves of a living artwork (literally, not figuratively), but the angel motif in their designs is clear even without the manga's title. Dark in particular is portrayed as a bad boy heart breaker womanizer.
- Saki: Nodoka's virtual form.
- AIR: Kannabi-no-Mikoto. Misuzu who is the current incarnation of Kanna is often depicted this way outside the anime.
- Digimon plays with this extensively. For the most part, their faces are obscured by helmets, but Angemon and Angewomon otherwise qualify well. Ophanimon's unmasked artwork◊ clinches this in her case. Cherubimon is a non-human example.
- Card Captor Sakura
- Nadeshiko Kinomoto... and that was before she died and transformed into an angel in Heaven. (Lampshaded by her husband when they first met.)
- Yue is evocative of this to many fan girls, though whether he is an angel or not isn't clear. He's a creation of Clow, so it's possible he's not a real angel any more than Kerberos, Clow's other creation, is a lion. He certainly looks the part, though.
- Black Butler: Ash and Angela both count, though being pretty is hardly a rare trait. May become less (or more) sexy when you find out they're the same person.
- Makai Ouji has some of these, but the most of the devils are just as pretty.
- The imaginery surrounding the Winged Humanoid race from The Vision of Escaflowne often invokes the trope.
- In-story, Van and Folken's very lovely-looking mother Varie was one of them and her husband Gaoh met her when she had her wings extended, which completely fascinated him.
- When Hitomi sees Van shirtless and with his wings spread for the first time, she's extremely impressed and pretty much tells him "But your wings are beautiful!"
- The final ghost of Ghosts Of Girlfriends Past appears as an incredibly beautiful angel.
- In Date With An Angel, the eponymous angel, who gets stranded on Earth after breaking her wing in a collision with a satellite, becomes the face of the 'Celestial Beauty' campaign being run by a cosmetics company.
Live Action TV
- Ambassador Kosh in Babylon 5 is seen as such by various races due to the Vorlon's Ancient Conspiracy to manipulate the younger races into being Vorlon pawns for the coming battle with the Shadows.
- Several examples in Supernatural: Castiel is this to many fans; Michael, in the form of Michael Cohen and Jake Abel; Anna from Season 4 and 5; Season 6 briefly introduced another female angel named Rachel. Averted with Zachariah. These may not count as this trope however. They use hosts, so technically the fanbase is finding the human hosts pretty, not the actual angels. The only angel whose celestial form is explicitly described in-story as "beautiful" is Lucifer. The angels themselves are actually of the Eldritch Abomination variety, but the show has never shown their true forms.
- Angels in Lamb take the form of ridiculously attractive blondes. The main angel, Raziel, is sufficiently handsome enough to regularly fluster Biff despite Biff's insistent heterosexuality and Raziel's infuriating stupidity.
- Aylwyn from The Tales Of Paul Twister combines this with Amazonian Beauty. Paul seems to think she's hot because she's tall and strong and beautiful and also because of her wings.
- According to Moby, you are greeted into the afterlife by Cristina Ricci.
- The girl in Ed Sheeran's "Give Me Love" music video is a cupid and she is clearly meant to evoke this.
- A number of angel pictures on Magic: The Gathering cards fit this, with the first Serra Angel picture (up to 4th edition) just being a mild one.
- Half-celestial races in Dungeons & Dragons, currently known as devas, are known to have an otherworldly beauty.
- For related reasons, Aasimars (those with a celestial being in their ancestry) are also frequently quite beautiful.
- While most demons in Demon: The Fallen drive mortals who witness their true forms insane with horror, the few who still have low Torment do so with the angelic beauty they retained since the Days of Creation.
- Sanguinus, Primarch of the Blood Angels legion in Warhammer 40,000 qualifies, as does his counterpart Fulgrim of the Emperor's Children. Both are Long Haired Pretty Boys and described as the most beautiful of the Primarchs; Fulgrim seemingly being the most physically attractive and Sanguinius radiating a sort of ethereal, not-all-there beauty. This trait also to a lesser degree applies to their chapters, who share a genetic heritage with them.
- Kyra, the Angel of Light, from the mythology of Septerra Core.
- Most angels of the Disgaea universe, most prominently Archangel◊ Flonne and Vulcanus(?).
- Any time a being of angelic origins shows up in the Neverwinter Nights modding community, she will be in possession of Angelic Beauty. Evanine in Tales of Arterra, Anera in Shadowlords, Melissa in Trials of the Academy, any others I haven't mentioned yet...
- Pokémon: The Gardevoir species has a beautiful, feminine appearance (though it's just as likely to be male as female). According to Word of God, it is supposed to resemble an angel, and its Pokédex entries emphasize its protective nature.
- The Shin Megami Tensei series largely averts this. The root-standard "Angel" is a young winged woman... covered in bondage straps, including one over her eyes; it's actually pretty creepy. After that, angels come in two categories: harsh, masculine warrior, or Humanoid Abomination (in other words, close to the Biblical depiction). The only angels that could be described as pretty are Gabriel and Lucifer's angelic form (the one Persona 3 FES dubbed "Helel").
- While not exactly an angel (more like a member of the Heron, a Winged Humanoid race), Leanne from Fire Emblem Tellius fits in nicely. Her older brothers Reyson and Rafiel are both examples as well.
- Bayonetta: Zigzags this trope all over the place. Angels take on a wide variety of non-sexualized forms (Winged Humanoids, Dragons, Wheels, and hot rods for starters). However, hit them hard enough and that all falls off. What's underneath is NOT pretty. Played more or less straight however with the Joys, who appear as hot, jiggly women-like humanoids. Gets mixed in with Hot as Hell considering their behaviour however, given their tendency for Immodest Orgasm.
- The trope is also played straight with Jubileus.
- In True Love Junai Monogatari, the Cat Girl/Magical Girlfriend Anze's true form is this through and through. You must have sex with her to unlock it, though.
- Sort of the case in Kid Icarus: Uprising, where both Pit and Dark Pit are angels who look like cute boys. Played straight with Palutena.
- Uriel (yes, that Uriel) from Darksiders is, as a notable departure from traditional biblical depictions, a Dark-Skinned Blonde Action Girl.
- The Mortis arc of Star Wars: The Clone Wars features the Daughter, embodiment of the Light Side of the Force, who usually takes the form of a beautiful, young woman, who visibly glows.
- When Sabrina and Salem go back in time to King Arthur's days in Sabrina: The Animated Series...
Arthur: Am I in heaven? For thou must be an angel.
Sabrina: (giggling) Thanketh thee a lot.
Salem: I thinketh I'm gonna be sicketh