"You are a wolf in rabbit's clothing taking advantage of a poor innocent little rabbit!"Take two characters: one sweet, innocent, kind, loving, naive, maybe even virginal, etc. In other words: an angel. The second character is malicious, rude, possibly perverted, seductive, sadistic, etc. In other words: a devil. Then you pair them up with each other. The main aspect here lies in the fact that the Devil character can do all sorts of things to torment the Angel character, or vice versa, and in the end the two characters will fall in love despite everything or perhaps because of everything (or not if the pairing is one-sided). Generally, a combination of Mind Game Ship and Opposites Attract, with a dash of Draco in Leather Pants, depending on whether the 'ship is canon or not. In Slash Fic or some yaoi, the Uke is often the angel while the Seme is the devil. We all know the appeal of Mind Game Ship, playing another person's mind like it's a game and what not, but this trope can go hand in hand with that one. It may overlap with Foe Yay or Dating Catwoman. Compare Beast and Beauty. Sometimes a I Have You Now, My Pretty scenario may occur from the devil to the angel. A Bastard Boyfriend, Depraved Bisexual, Depraved Homosexual, Psycho Lesbian, or a Yandere may be the devil, and The Ingenue, All-Loving Hero, Plucky Girl, or Nice Guy may be the angel. Sometimes for this trope in fanfic a previously tough character may be made into a more sensitive innocent character and vice versa. Sometimes the devil character may try to force another rebellious character to submit. More often than not the devil is male and the angel is female, though the gender-flipped variant is not unheard of. Has nothing to do directly with Angel, though interestingly he could be on either side of the pairing.
— Sharon, Pandora Hearts
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Tohru/Akito from Fruits Basket, the latter being the 'devil' as Akito is a Domestic Abuser and Tohru being the 'angel' as she redeems with love. One could make an argument for a Tohru/Shigure ship as Shigure's character is morally ambiguous.
- Katekyo Hitman Reborn! Chrome/Belphegor, Tsuna/Belphegor, and Uni/Byakuran exists too. Basically just Tsuna/every villain considering his sweet naive Messiah nature. Also some Tsuna/Reborn fanfics portray them as this.
- Axis Powers Hetalia:
- Anyone/Belarus is this too. Ironically, Russia/Belarus falls into this as well, because, despite Russia being evil, his little sister, Belarus, is much worse. It's even more horrific with their genderbent versions, since Male!Belarus has higher chances of getting to rape his sister, Fem!Russia, than their counterparts. A◊ few◊ examples◊ are◊ here◊.
- A good chunk of Taiwan/Japan, which is pretty popular for a het pairing, is set during the Japanese occupation of Taiwan, and so tends to fall into this category.
- Seeing as how France regularly hits on and gropes the other nations male or female any pairing involving him can sometimes turn out to be this.
- Bleach: Orihime/Ulquiorra, especially when symbolism is taken into account (Ulquiorra's released form looks like a fallen angel and his second one is a devil).
- GrimmHime is the second most popular Orihime Foe Yay ship behind UlquiHime, with Grimmjow as the Devil and Orihime as the Angel. (It helps that Orihime is the only person Grimmjow ever did a favor for, even if it was for selfish reasons.)
- Momo being paired with Gin or Aizen exists, too.
- In fanfics where Ichigo is made to be a sensitive Uke he can be involved in this if he is shipped with Grimmjow, Gin, Hollow Ichigo, or Aizen.
- When paired with anyone Nnoitra (devil) gets this. Orihime and Nel are frequently paired with him possibly due to several suggestive scenes they have with him in canon.
- Light/Anyone in Death Note, but especially Misa or L, though L has usually been Uke-fied in such instances because it isn't really canon for him to just sit back and let Light screw with him, he can do plenty of mind screwing himself. The same is true for Beyond Birthday/Anyone probably due to his psychotic obsession with L and how he refers to himself "an aggressive top." Even Light tends to get Uke-fied whenever Beyond decides to play Kira.
- Digimon has both Angewomon/LadyDevimon and Angemon/Devimon as literal examples.
- Naruto/Itachi, Naruto/Kabuto, Naruto/Orochimaru, Naruto/Sasuke, generally Naruto/any villain considering his sweet naive All-Loving Hero Nice Guy nature. Also, Naruto/Sai at times.
- Since Shippuden and Sasuke's Face–Heel Turn, fanfic of him and Sakura of this nature exists as well.
- Naruto/Karin, even though they didn't officially meet until her Heel–Face Turn. That, and they're cousins, though no one knows exactly how close, since Karin is a member of Naruto's mother's clan.
- Hinata/Neji, as Neji is often seen as a dark, cynical guy who abuses and forces himself on Hinata, a lot of fans ignoring his Heel–Face Turn.
- Sasuke/Itachi, too. Both Hinata/Neji and Sasuke/Itachi are seen as this, especially by people who don't ship them, as Neji and Itachi are still seen as quite dark characters, despite that they both proved that Hinata and Sasuke, respectively, were the persons they cared about the most when they sacrificed themselves for them.
- In some Yu-Gi-Oh! Slash Fic Yugi is often made to be the sensitive Uke to Yami Yugi's Bastard Boyfriend.
- In Fullmetal Alchemist Slash Fic Ed is sometimes made to be the angel to either Envy or Roy.
- The◊ advertising◊ for Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie: Rebellion adds a sexual element to Madoka and Homura's relationship that isn't present in canon. They also portray the characters in their deity forms—Madoka as the benevolent, white-clad Goddess of Hope and Homura as the Obviously Evil demon she becomes at the end of the movie—even though they never appear onscreen together like this; in fact, the "devil" wants to prevent the "angel" from taking on this form.
- Sousuke in Full Metal Panic! slash works is sometimes made to be an innocent angel character to Gauron's canon devil character. Also, in the novels, being the sick pervert he is, he shows interest in humiliating and possibly molesting/raping Tessa (to "break" her spirit, since he's annoyed with "righteous" people). He makes it very clear to the other submarine personnel that if they try to do anything, he ''will' do "X-rated" things to the cute captain. When she acts defiant towards him, it "pleased him from the bottom of his heart," and he exclaims, "Ohhh, she's cute!" and proceeds to jokingly ask the Mithril traitors if they're sure they want to leave, since this place seems like a nice place to work.
Film - Live Action
- Lucy/Edmund Pevensie from the The Chronicles of Narnia. Apparently, many people often like to forget that Edmund has actually turned into a good guy since the first book, because dark! Edmund is much more interesting. Most often, Edmund is a stoic, witty or snarky bastard who still mocks and abuses sweet, naive, innocent Lucy. He's also sometimes portrayed as a violent guy who forces himself on Lucy.
- Little Red Riding Hood / Big Bad Wolf, quite often.
- Ralph and Jack from Lord of the Flies, which is obvious in both their looks and personalities, Ralph representing the calm, rational, civil part of the human mind (also, blonde-haired), while Jack represents the basic, primal instincts, the savage part of the human mind (red-haired).
- Good Omens has Aziraphale and Crowley, a pair of literally an angel and a demon and probably the most popular ship in the fandom. Although, admittedly at the time of the book, both of them have spent too much time with each other and with humans to be quite so purely good or evil.
- Scarlet (an angel) and Frank (The Anti-Christ) have a lot of romantic chemistry in the Demon Squad books. It helps the latter is an Anti Anti Christ.
- Harry Potter and Voldemort/Tom Riddle have a lot of Foe Yay in canon and in fanon. A lot of fics features Harry acting defiant against becoming like Voldemort and Voldemort trying to get Harry under his sway.
- House is like this to everyone, though Wilson isn't really content to sit back and let House mind screw him and does plenty of mind screwing himself. In Slash Fic though Wilson (angel) and House (devil) play it straight, probably helped by all the Ho Yay they have together in canon.
- Smallville: There is an unholy amount of Chloe/Kalnote shipping fan fiction. Often ends with Kal corrupting Chloe and Coitus Ensues. Chloe has also been paired with Davis Bloome may count. He is usually a nice guy though. When he is not busy being Doomsday.
- Supernatural: Dean/Castiel had a huge following already, but with the season 9 finale turning Dean into a demon, the pairing has literally become this.
- Also provides the very literal version of this with Meg/Castiel fans.
- Some of the fandom like to pair Cosmos with Chaos from Dissidia: Final Fantasy. They're actually not too far off — Cosmos was created as a copy of Chaos's adoptive mother..
- Kingdom Hearts: Ventus/Vanitas is one of the most popular pairings in Birth by Sleep. Also Larxene/Namine.
- In the Guilty Gear games, it's surprisingly common to ship the sweet-hearted British time-traveller Plucky Comic Relief Axl Low with the dangerously psychotic Dark Action Girl I-no.
- The Powerpuff Girls has Him and Bubbles, Him is a Camp Gay demon who enjoys psychological torture and may or may not be Satan himself and Bubbles is a cheerful and naive girl who can communicate with animals, Bubbles is often the victim of Him's mind games and they are of course Arch Enemies.
- Kim Possible has the hugely popular Les Yay pairing of Kim/Shego.
- Invader Zim Slash Fic has Zim and Dib switching around the angel and devil roles.
- Adventure Time has Finn and Marceline, even if Marceline isn't really evil only dark. A LOT of people also ship Princess Bubblegum and Marceline.
- Flaky and Flippy from Happy Tree Friends. Even more so with their anime versions, where Flaky is portrayed as a sweet, naive, fearful, kind girl, while Flippy is an evil, obsessive, sadistic murderer (sometimes rapist).
- The page image is the somewhat-popular fan-pairing of Discord (Mad God, The Trickster, Reality Warper, the "chaos" of Order Versus Chaos) and Celestia (The High Queen, Physical God, Light Is Good, the "order" of Order Versus Chaos)
- And when not paired with Celestia, Discord will often be paired with Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, or Twilight Sparkle, which would fulfill this trope just as well. Pinkie is an over-energetic party pony who lives to spread happiness and laughter, Fluttershy is bashful, gentle, and kind, and Twilight takes after her mentor Celestia and likes to keep things orderly, especially with her schedules and checklists.
- The Legend of Korra gives us Korra/Amon. Amon is a creepy mind rapist who's able to reduce the normally badass Korra to tears through psychological torture.
- Winx Club: Bloom gets shipped with one of the villains, either one of the Trix (Icy mostly), or Valtor.
- Ed, Edd 'n' Eddy: Edd (Angel) and Marie (Devil). Double D is an Adorkable Nice Guy and Shrinking Violet with not a single malicious bone in his body along with being ambitious in school. His Kanker counterpart Marie however, loves bad boys, comes on to him against his will, is a slacker in school and at the same time being The Bully along with her sisters to everyone on the cast. Oh, and she also has a crush on him. For some reason.
- Actually, any of the Eds with the Kankers could apply (the Eds being angels and the Kankers devils), but Edd and Marie stands out the most since Edd has higher morals and timidity than the other Eds.
- Also Edd/ Eddy's Brother.
- A lot of people have been fascinated by applying this trope to Joan of Arc and her comrade Gilles de Rais, who after the war became one of history's most infamous pedophile Serial Killers and an inspiration for the character of Bluebeard. Not helped by the fact some reports do mention that the two of them got along well (though no solid proof of a romance exists) and it's likely that Gilles de Rais went mad long after the war.
Anime and Manga
- Akihiko/Misaki may counts as this in Junjou Romantica. Akihiko is the demon, since he is very perverted and possessive towards Misaki, while Misaki is the angel.
- Daisuke/Krad in D.N.Angel. There's also some Daisuke/Dark interpretations in fanfics and Daisuke/Satoshi shows up in canon and fanfiction as well.
- Xelloss/Filia in Slayers, as Xelloss is part of the Monster Race, which feeds off dark emotions, and Fillia is a priestess of light.
- Vincent Nightray of Pandora Hearts has a bit of this going on with everyone, but especially with his brother Gil and Ada.
- Black Butler's Sebastian is a seductive demon who is the devil to anyone really in both canon and fanfics.
- Played fairly canon in No. 6 with all the Ho Yay between Shion (angel) and Nezumi (devil).
- Akio in Revolutionary Girl Utena actively seeks to be the devil in all his relationships, be they with males or females.
- Utena/Anthy also shows up given Anthy's true nature and the amount of Les Yay subtext/text they have in canon.
- During the Eclipse in Berserk Casca is made into the angel for Griffith as Femto as he renders her helpless and brutally rapes her.
- Aoshika/Haguro in Wolf Guy - Wolfen Crest is a particularly disturbing pairing as he actually does target and rape her.
- Gender flipped in Neon Genesis Evangelion where plenty of Shinji/Asuka fanfiction portray them as having this type of relationship. In canon, they're attracted to each other though Asuka sometimes flirts aggressively with the very shy Shinji and Shinji ultimately ends up both masturbating to Asuka's comatose body and strangling her.
- In Princess Tutu, Ahiru (angel) and Fakir (devil) initially have this dynamic, with Fakir being a sarcastic Jerkass and Ahiru being a kind-hearted Cute Clumsy Girl. However, said Jerkass defrosts later on.
- Maka/Giriko in Soul Eater with Giriko targeting Maka and wanting to rape and kill her. And then there's Chrona/Medusa.
- Yukiteru (angel) and Yuno (devil and epic Yandere) in Future Diary. And Yukiteru/Tsubaki also counts as he once gets a Forceful Kiss complete with spit trail from her.
- Aoshima makes unwanted advances on the innocent Bellydandy and Skuld (when she aged up) in Ah! My Goddess. Both times, he got shocked for his attempts.
- The existence of Urd flat out states that God and the Devil (specifically the Almighty One Tyr and Daimakaichou Hild) not only had a relationship but one that produced children.
- Tetsunosuke and Suzu become this in the sequel manga of Peacemaker Kurogane.
- Eyeshield 21 has the Devil Bats' "Commander from Hell" quarterback Youichi Hiruma and their Team Mom manager Mamori Anezaki.
- Sangatsu no Lion: Rei/Kyoko, with Rei being the Angel and Kyoko as the Devil. While there are fans of the work that don't want this to happen precisely because of this dynamic they share, there are also fans that are excited by the prospect of it once the romantic undertones of their relationship become more overt.
- Makai Ouji has Jeanne d'Arc (Joan of Arc) and Gilles de Rais (see Real Life above). Jeanne has become a "Pawn of Heaven" and is expected to become an archangel, while Gilles is a nephilim (a human turned into a demon) who is in love with her.
- Bubblegum Crisis inculdes a song called "Devil and Angel's Kiss"
- Consummate Nice Girl Christa and blunt, cynical (and canonically in love with Christa) Ymir from Attack on Titan.
- In Fairy Tail, Mavis Vermilion and Zeref used to be a common fanon example. Then chapter 340 revealed that they had known each other before, and Fairy Tail Zero showed how they first met. Chapter 450 finally made them canon, though with tragic results.
- Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun has Wakamatsu/Seo. Wakamatsu is rather a sweet, naive, and innocent Keet and Seo is The Dreaded Anti-Role Model for the basketball team (of which Wakamatsu is part of) that tends to Rooting for the Empire when watching movies. However, it couldn't be plainer Seo very much fancies Wakamatsu, and while Wakamatsu has a thing for the pure-voiced Lorelei (who, in reality, is Seo), he's also jealous of the prospect of Seo having a boyfriend.
- In PS238, Malphast's parents are an angel and a devil.
- Rachel/The Joker in The Dark Knight. He acts all flirtatious towards her, calls her beautiful repeatedly, appears to sniff her, and threatens her with a knife. Subverted when she knees him in the groin to get him away from her and he likes it.
- A demon and an angel produced a child together in the comedy Little Nicky.
- With all the Ho Yay they have, Gerald Tarrant and Damien Vryce from the Coldfire Trilogy. The former is a demon/vampire, and the latter is a priest.
- Christopher Carrion and Princess Boa from Abarat would've been this; he's from the lands of Night, and she's from the lands of Day.
- Jane/Hoyt in Rizzoli & Isles during the episodes Hoyt was on the show when he instilled within her a sense of fear and made her feel vulnerable.
Dean: Now that's what I call peace on Earth.
- In "Heaven and Hell", demon Ruby and angel Anna (both occupying very attractive bodies at the time) are sitting in the backseat of the Impala with Dean at the wheel. Dean apparently ships them, since he can't resist comparing the scenario to a Penthouse forum letter.
- Played for Laughs when Dean is having an Erotic Dream of two strippers in angel and devil costumes dancing for him.
(after being kissed by him) Meg: I feel so... clean.
- Meg (demon) and Castiel (angel) share a lot of subtext throughout their interactions. Then she decides to make out with him in one episode. She openly expresses her love for him in season 8.
- Crowley, the King of Hell, intimates he had a past relationship with the Angelic leader Naomi in Mesopotamia. It's left ambiguous whether they knew each other's identities at the time.
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Whistler is half-demon who appeared in season 2. In the season 9 comics, he reveals that his parents were one of the Powers That Be (the closest beings the Buffyverse has to angels) and a pure-blooded demon. This is compared to (as in being a lot more taboo than) the Slayer/Vampire pairings (Buffy/Angel and Buffy/Spike).
- Hannibal and Will Graham get this, with Will Graham being a FBI profiler who has a special gift that allows him to empathize with criminals and Hannibal being Will's psychiatrist and secretly a serial killer and cannibal. They gradually come to obsess over one another.
- This trope is the subject of Devil's Love Song by Tishamingo.
- Laharl/Flonne from Disgaea: Hour of Darkness is a literal example (albeit with a Noble Demon). There's also Flonne/Etna for non-canon ships as well.
- In Togainu no Chi Shiki tries to be the devil to Akira's angel.
- Fire Emblem Awakening: Olivia, a sweet, bashful young woman prone to blushing intensely, is commonly paired up with Henry, a sociopathic magician who always looks forward to physically tearing someone to pieces. The best part is, you can make this happen in-game.
- Like any of Henry's other prospective wives, this is a canon example of the devil character slowly toning down their devilish characteristics because of his interaction with the angel. Whoever Henry gets married to (as well as the couple's child/children) ends up becoming his Morality Chain, and while Henry will never fully get rid of his violent tendencies, he turns out to be both a faithful husband and good father.
- Devil May Cry: Protagonist Dante, and his brother Vergil, are the product of a relationship between a human woman named Eva and a demon lord named Sparda, who ended up turning good before their relationship started, while the reboot shakes this up so that Dante's mother was actually an angel, making this a literal case of the trope (but still not figuratively). Dante himself ends up playing Angel to Trish, a demon created to seduce him in the image of his mother, who like Dante's father ends up becoming heroic and sides with him.
- The Gray Garden: Etihw and Kcalb (sometimes) show affection toward each other, despite the war that happened between them in the past. Plus all those canon bonus comics on the official website.
- The All There in the Manual backstory for Diablo establishes that this is where humanity came from; Sanctuary was created as a world for rebellious angels and demons to hide from the Forever War between the High Heavens and the Burning Hells. They started getting cosy with each other, and the ancestors of humanity were literally born as a result.
- anti-HEROES: The chief protagonist and the chief antagonist are the Krylorn twins, children of an archdevil and a celestial falling in love.
- In Megatokyo, Piro has a Good Angel, Bad Angel pair called Seraphim and Asmodeus, respectively. They seem to have had some sort of relationship in the past, and Asmodeus still hits on her occasionally.
- In the Teen Titans episode "Birthmark" Raven is made into the angel for Slade's devil during his highly suggestive pursuit and mind rape of her which instills in her a sense of terror.
- Codename: Kids Next Door: Kuki/King Sandy. And it's canon on Sandy's side anyway.
- Angel's Friends: The main couple, Raf and Sulfus, are literally angel and demon.
- For one with a female devil and a male angel, Blackarachnia and Silverbolt of Beast Wars. Blackarachnia is a sultry, scheming, deadly Dark Action Girl with a taste for treachery. Silverbolt is a noble, dedicated, chivalrous, sometimes downright corny Knight in Shining Armor. They bond while stranded together and cut off from their respective factions.
Blackarachnia: I like being a bad girl. And you know something else? Somewhere deep beneath this squeaky clean armor-plating of yours, I think you like it too, hmm?