courtesy of Mn27
. Used with permission.
You are a wolf in rabbit's clothing taking advantage of a poor innocent little rabbit!
Take two characters: one sweet, innocent, kind, loving, naive, maybe even virginal, etc. In other words: an angel
. The second character is malicious, rude, possibly perverted, seductive, sadistic, etc. In other words: a devil
. Then you pair them up with each other. The main aspect here lies in the fact that the Devil character can do all sorts of things to torment the Angel character, or vice versa, and in the end the two characters will fall in love despite everything or perhaps because of everything (or not if the pairing is one-sided).
Generally, a combination of Mind Game Ship
and Opposites Attract
, with a dash of Draco in Leather Pants
, depending on whether the 'ship is canon or not. In Slash Fic
or some yaoi, the Uke
is often the angel while the Seme
is the devil.
We all know the appeal of Mind Game Ship
, playing another person's mind like it's a game and what not, but this trope can go hand in hand with that one. It may overlap with Foe Yay
or Dating Catwoman
. Compare Beast and Beauty
. Sometimes a I Have You Now, My Pretty
scenario may occur from the devil to the angel. A Bastard Boyfriend
, Depraved Bisexual
, Depraved Homosexual
, Psycho Lesbian
, or a Yandere
may be the devil, and The Ingenue
, All-Loving Hero
, Plucky Girl
, or Nice Guy
may be the angel.
Sometimes for this trope in fanfic a previously tough character may be made into a more sensitive innocent character
and vice versa. Sometimes the devil character may try to force another rebellious character to submit. More often than not the devil is male and the angel is female
, though the gender-flipped variant is not unheard of.
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Tohru/Akito from Fruits Basket, the latter being the 'devil' as Akito is a Domestic Abuser and Tohru being the 'angel' as she redeems with love. One could make an argument for a Tohru/Shigure ship as Shigure's character is morally ambiguous.
- Katekyo Hitman Reborn! Chrome/Belphegor, Tsuna/Belphegor, and Uni/Byakuran exists too. Basically just Tsuna/every villain considering his sweet naive Messiah nature. Also some Tsuna/Reborn fanfics portray them as this.
- Axis Powers Hetalia:
- Anyone/Belarus is this too. Ironically, Russia/Belarus falls into this as well, because, despite Russia being evil, his little sister, Belarus, is much worse. It's even more horrific with their genderbent versions, since Male!Belarus has higher chances of getting to rape his sister, Fem!Russia, than their counterparts. A◊ few◊ examples◊ are◊ here◊.
- A good chuck of Taiwan/Japan, which is pretty popular for a het pairing, is set during the Japanese occupation of Taiwan, and so tends to fall into this category.
- Seeing as how France regularly hits on and gropes the other nations male or female any pairing involving him can sometimes turn out to be this.
- Bleach: Orihime/Ulquiorra, especially when symbolism is taken into account (Ulquiorra's released form looks like a fallen angel and his second one is a devil).
- GrimmHime is the second most popular Orihime Foe Yay ship behind UlquiHime, with Grimmjow as the Devil and Orihime as the Angel. (It helps that Orihime is the only person Grimmjow ever did a favor for, even if it was for selfish reasons.)
- Momo being paired with Gin or Aizen exists, too.
- In fanfics where Ichigo is made to be a sensitive Uke he can be involved in this if he is shipped with Grimmjow, Gin, Hollow Ichigo, or Aizen.
- When paired with anyone Nnoitra (devil) gets this. Orihime and Nel are frequently paired with him possibly due to several suggestive scenes they have with him in canon.
- Light/Anyone in Death Note, but especially Misa or L, though L has usually been Uke-fied in such instances because it isn't really canon for him to just sit back and let Light screw with him, he can do plenty of mind screwing himself. The same is true for Beyond Birthday/Anyone probably due to his psychotic obsession with L and how he refers to himself "an aggressive top." Even Light tends to get Uke-fied whenever Beyond decides to play Kira.
- Digimon has both Angewomon/LadyDevimon and Angemon/Devimon as literal examples.
- Naruto/Itachi, Naruto/Kabuto, Naruto/Orochimaru, Naruto/Sasuke, generally Naruto/any villain considering his sweet naive All-Loving Hero Nice Guy nature. Also, Naruto/Sai at times.
- Since Shippuden and Sasuke's Face-Heel Turn, fanfic of him and Sakura of this nature exists as well.
- Naruto/Karin, even though they didn't officially meet until her Heel-Face Turn. That, and they're cousins, though no one knows exactly how close, since Karin is a member of Naruto's mother's clan.
- Hinata/Neji, as Neji is often seen as a dark, cynical guy who abuses and forces himself on Hinata, a lot of fans ignoring his Heel-Face Turn.
- Sasuke/Itachi, too. Both Hinata/Neji and Sasuke/Itachi are seen as this, especially by people who don't ship them, as Neji and Itachi are still seen as quite dark characters, despite that they both proved that Hinata and Sasuke, respectively, were the persons they cared about the most when they sacrificed themselves for them.
- In some Yu-Gi-Oh! Slash Fic Yugi is often made to be the sensitive Uke to Yami Yugi's Bastard Boyfriend.
- In Fullmetal Alchemist Slash Fic Ed is sometimes made to be the angel to either Envy or Roy.
- Mavis Vermilion and Zeref in Fairy Tail.
- Lucy/Edmund Pevensie from the The Chronicles of Narnia. Apparently, many people often like to forget that Edmund has actually turned into a good guy since the first book, because dark! Edmund is much more interesting. Most often, Edmund is a stoic, witty or snarky bastard who still mocks and abuses sweet, naive, innocent Lucy. He's also sometimes portrayed as a violent guy who forces himself on Lucy.
- Little Red Riding Hood / Big Bad Wolf, quite often.
- Good Omens has Aziraphale and Crowley, a pair of literally an angel and a demon and probably the most popular ship in the fandom. Although, admittedly at the time of the book, both of them have spent too much time with each other and with humans to be quite so purely good or evil.
- House is like this to everyone, though Wilson isn't really content to sit back and let House mind screw him and does plenty of mind screwing himself. In Slash Fic though Wilson (angel) and House (devil) play it straight, probably helped by all the Ho Yay they have together in canon.
- Smallville: There is an unholy amount of Chloe/Kalnote shipping fan fiction. Often ends with Kal corrupting Chloe and Coitus Ensues. Chloe has also been paired with Davis Bloome may count. He is usually a nice guy though. When he is not busy being Doomsday.
- Supernatural: Dean/Castiel had a huge following already, but with the season 9 finale turning Dean into a demon, the pairing has literally become this.
- Powerpuff Girls has Him and Bubbles, Him is a Camp Gay demon who enjoys psychological torture and may or may not be Satan himself and Bubbles is a cheerful and naive girl who can communicate with animals, Bubbles is often the victim of Him's mind games and they are of course Arch Enemies.
- Kim Possible has the hugely popular Les Yay pairing of Kim/Shego.
- Invader Zim Slash Fic has Zim and Dib switching around the angel and devil roles.
- Adventure Time has Finn and Marceline, even if Marceline isn't really evil only dark. A LOT of people also ship Princess Bubblegum and Marceline.
- Flaky and Flippy from Happy Tree Friends. Even more so with their anime versions, where Flaky is portrayed as a sweet, naive, fearful, kind girl, while Flippy is an evil, obsessive, sadistic murderer (sometimes rapist).
- The page image is the somewhat-popular fan-pairing of Discord (Mad God, The Trickster, Reality Warper, the "chaos" of Order Versus Chaos) and Celestia (The High Queen, Physical God, Light is Good, the "order" of Order Versus Chaos)
- And when not paired with Celestia, Discord will often be paired with Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, or Twilight Sparkle, which would fulfill this trope just as well. Pinkie is an over-energetic party pony who lives to spread happiness and laughter, Fluttershy is bashful, gentle, and kind, and Twilight takes after her mentor Celestia and likes to keep things orderly, especially with her schedules and checklists.
- The Legend of Korra gives us Korra/Amon. Amon is a creepy mind rapist who's able to reduce the normally badass Korra to tears through psychological torture.
- Winx Club Bloom gets shipped with one of the villains, either one of the Trix (Icy mostly), or Valtor.
- Ed, Edd n Eddy: Edd (Angel) and Marie (Devil). Double D is an Adorkable Nice Guy and Shrinking Violet with not a single malicious bone in his body along with being ambitious in school. His Kanker counterpart Marie however, loves bad boys, comes on to him against his will, is a slacker in school and at the same time being The Bully along with her sisters to everyone on the cast. Oh, and she also has a crush on him. For some reason.
- Actually, any of the Eds with the Kankers could apply (the Eds being angels and the Kankers devils), but Edd and Marie stands out the most since Edd has higher morals and timidity than the other Eds.
- Also Edd/ Eddy's Brother.
- A lot of people have been fascinated by applying this trope to Joan of Arc and her comrade Gilles de Rais, who after the war became one of history's most infamous pedophile Serial Killers and an inspiration for the character of Bluebeard. Not helped by the fact some reports do mention that the two of them got along well (though no solid proof of a romance exists) and it's likely that Gilles de Rais went mad long after the war.
Anime and Manga
- Akihiko/Misaki may counts as this in Junjou Romantica. Akihiko is the demon, since he is very perverted and possessive towards Misaki, while Misaki is the angel.
- Daisuke/Krad in D.N.Angel. There's also some Daisuke/Dark interpretations in fanfics and Daisuke/Satoshi shows up in canon and fanfiction as well.
- Xelloss/Filia in Slayers, as Xelloss is part of the Monster Race, which feeds off dark emotions, and Fillia is a priestess of light.
- Vincent Nightray of Pandora Hearts has a bit of this going on with everyone, but especially with his brother Gil and Ada.
- Black Butler's Sebastian is a seductive demon who is the devil to anyone really in both canon and fanfics.
- Played fairly canon in No. 6 with all the Ho Yay between Shion (angel) and Nezumi (devil).
- Akio in Revolutionary Girl Utena actively seeks to be the devil in all his relationships, be they with males or females.
- Utena/Anthy also shows up given Anthy's true nature and the amount of Les Yay subtext/text they have in canon.
- During the Eclipse in Berserk Casca is made into the angel for Griffith as Femto as he renders her helpless and brutally rapes her.
- Aoshika/Haguro in Wolf Guy - Wolfen Crest is a particularly disturbing pairing as he actually does target and rape her.
- Gender flipped in Neon Genesis Evangelion where plenty of Shinji/Asuka fanfiction portray them as having this type of relationship. In canon, they're attracted to each other though Asuka sometimes flirts aggressively with the very shy Shinji and Shinji ultimately ends up both masturbating to Asuka's comatose body and strangling her.
- In Princess Tutu, Ahiru (angel) and Fakir (devil) initially have this dynamic, with Fakir being a sarcastic Jerkass and Ahiru being a kind-hearted Cute Clumsy Girl. However, said Jerkass defrosts later on.
- Puella Magi Madoka Magica:
- Sayaka and Kyouko are angel and devil, respectively. But the angel is an insane Knight Templar and the devil has a certain soft spot.
- After the release of the Rebellion movie, we can add Ultimate Madoka ("Godoka") and Ultimate Homura ("Homucifer").
- Maka/Giriko in Soul Eater with Giriko targeting Maka and wanting to rape and kill her. And then there's Chrona/Medusa.
- Yukiteru (angel) and Yuno (devil and epic Yandere) in Future Diary. And Yukiteru/Tsubaki also counts as he once gets a Forceful Kiss complete with spit trail from her.
- Aoshima makes unwanted advances on the innocent Bellydandy and Skuld (when she aged up) in Ah! My Goddess. Both times, he got shocked for his attempts.
- The existence of Urd flat out states that God and the Devil (specifically the Almighty One Tyr and Daimakaichou Hild) not only had a relationship but one that produced children.
- Sousuke in Full Metal Panic! Slash works is sometimes made to be an innocent angel character to Gauron's canon devil character. Also, in the novels, being the sick pervert he is, he shows interest in humiliating and possibly molesting/raping Tessa (to "break" her spirit, since he's annoyed with "righteous" people). He makes it very clear to the other submarine personnel that if they try to do anything, he ''will' do "X-rated" things to the cute captain. When she acts defiant towards him, it "pleased him from the bottom of his heart," and he exclaims, "Ohhh, she's cute!" and proceeds to jokingly ask the Mithril traitors if they're sure they want to leave, since this place seems like a nice place to work.
- Tetsunosuke and Suzu become this in the sequel manga of Peacemaker Kurogane.
- Eyeshield 21 has the Devil Bats' "Commander from Hell" quarterback Youichi Hiruma and their Team Mom manager Mamori Anezaki.
- Sangatsu no Lion: Rei/Kyoko, with Rei being the Angel and Kyoko as the Devil. While there are fans of the work that don't want this to happen precisely because of this dynamic they share, there are also fans that are excited by the prospect of it once the romantic undertones of their relationship become more overt.
- Makai Ouji has Jeanne d'Arc (Joan of Arc) and Gilles de Rais (see Real Life above). Jeanne has become a "Pawn of Heaven" and is expected to become an archangel, while Gilles is a nephilim (a human turned into a demon) who is in love with her.
- Bubblegum Crisis inculdes a song called "Devil and Angel's Kiss"
- Consummate Nice Girl Krista and blunt, cynical (and canonically in love with Christa) Ymir from Attack on Titan.
- In PS238, Malphast's parents are an angel and a devil.
- Rachel/The Joker in The Dark Knight. He acts all flirtatious towards her, calls her beautiful repeatedly, appears to sniff her, and threatens her with a knife. Subverted when she knees him in the groin to get him away from her and he likes it.
- A demon and an angel produced a child together in the comedy Little Nicky.
- With all the Ho Yay they have, Gerald Tarrant and Damien Vryce from the Coldfire Trilogy. The former is a demon/vampire, and the latter is a priest.
- Christopher Carrion and Princess Boa from Abarat would've been this; he's from the lands of Night, and she's from the lands of Day.
- Sebastian Verlac appears to be the devil to Clarissa FrayMorgenstern in Mortal Instruments. That is, when one ignores the fact that he killed the REAL Sebastian Verlac and is actually her older brother, Jonathan Christopher Morgenstern, and has incestual feelings for her.
- This trope is the subject of Devil's Love Song by Tishamingo.
- Laharl/Flonne from Disgaea: Hour of Darkness is a literal example (albeit with a Noble Demon). There's also Flonne/Etna for non-canon ships as well.
- Disgaea 4 adds in another literal example Valvatorez and Artina, though the former never admits it.
- In Togainu no Chi Shiki tries to be the devil to Akira's angel.
- Fire Emblem Awakening: Olivia, a sweet, bashful young woman prone to blushing intensely, is commonly paired up with Henry, a sociopathic magician who always looks forward to physically tearing someone to pieces. The best part is, you can make this happen in-game.
- Like any of Henry's other prospective wives, this is a canon example of the devil character slowly toning down their devilish characteristics because of his interaction with the angel. Whoever Henry gets married to (as well as the couple's child/children) ends up becoming his Morality Chain, and while Henry will never fully get rid of his violent tendencies, he turns out to be both a faithful husband and good father.
- Devil May Cry: Protagonist Dante, and his brother Vergil, are the product of a relationship between a human woman named Eva and a demon lord named Sparda, who ended up turning good before their relationship started, while the reboot shakes this up so that Dante's mother was actually an angel, making this a literal case of the trope (but still not figuratively). Dante himself ends up playing Angel to Trish, a demon created to seduce him in the image of his mother, who like Dante's father ends up becoming heroic and sides with him.
- anti-HEROES: The chief protagonist and the chief antagonist are the Krylorn twins, children of an archdevil and a celestial falling in love.