Evil has a beginning.Maleficent
is an upcoming live-action Perspective Flip
of Sleeping Beauty
that reveals the origin story of its iconic villainess Maleficent (Angelina Jolie
Maleficent, it seems, was once a good, beautiful fairy princess who lived in peace until her kingdom was attacked by humans. She stands up against them and protects her land until a betrayal breaks her heart
and turns her into the Mistress of All Evil
. She gears up for revenge against the culprit, the invading king's successor Stefan (Sharlto Copely), which culminates in her cursing his newborn daughter Aurora (Elle Fanning
). As the princess grows up, though, Maleficent begins to rethink her actions...
The film will be released on May 30, 2014. The first trailer was released on the film's Facebook page
on November 13, 2013. The second trailer premiered during the Grammy Awards on Jan 27th, 2014, introducing the film's haunting rendition of "Once Upon a Dream" by Lana Del Rey
Tropes here include:
- Actor Is The Title Character: Used in the teaser trailer.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: Maleficent creates a giant dragon/serpent made out of plants to fight the king's army.
- Badass Beard: Stefan, in keeping with his animated counterpart. Might also qualify as a Beard of Sorrow.
- Badass Boast: A more subdued one:
Aurora: (speaking to what she clearly believes to be a benevolent, timid little fairy hiding in the bushes) Don't be afraid.
Maleficent: I am not afraid.
Aurora: Then come out.
Maleficent: Then you'll be afraid.
- Badass Cape: Stefan sports an impressive one made of fur.
- Bastard Bastard: Stefan is the human king's illegitimate son, and he does something to piss Maleficent off.
- Dark Is Evil: Maleficent is this, although she may come off as an Anti-Hero in this film.
- Darker and Edgier: Compared to the original 1959 animated film.
- Dark Reprise: The teaser released the night of the Grammy Awards features one of "Once Upon A Dream", sung by Lana Del Rey.
- The Fair Folk: Maleficent is one, and many others are prominently featured.
- Green Thumb: Plant-based magic seems to be this Maleficent's specialty.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Stefan is half-human and half-fairy.
- Live-Action Adaptation: Sorta; it's drawing heavily from Disney's Sleeping Beauty, only delving into Maleficent's past.
- Logo Joke: In the teaser trailer, the Disney text is pale blue and the normal castle is replaced with King Stefan's castle. The camera then swings around to focus on some distant mountains, starting the action.
- One-Winged Angel: Diablo the Raven turns into a dragon.
- Perspective Flip
- Start of Darkness
- Villainous Cheekbones: Angelina Jolie's have been prosthetically enhanced to extreme degree.
- When Trees Attack: Maleficent's forces are comprised of Plant People.
- Winged Humanoid: The trailers show that Maleficent used to be one (though they were aquiline, angel-type wings rather than the more insectoid ones fairies stereotypically have), and they were "stolen" in some unspecified way.