I snap my glove and SCARE MYSELF!
"But if I weren't a scout, a doctor I would be! Bend down, touch your toes, this won't hurt a bit!"
— "If I were not a... scout", campfire song.
When the Mad Doctor
is ready to "operate", this almost always includes shoving his hands into big latex gloves with a (usually upward) thrusting motion while tugging on the back of the glove with the other hand; then there's a loud snap at the end when the back of the glove is released. Pretty much a Mad Doctor
staple, and also pretty common in cartoons. Usually meant to inspire fear
or to startle; usually part of the Creepy Physical
Compare Gloved Fist of Doom
. Also see Ass Shove
, which frequently uses this as a family-friendly suggestion. Not to be confused with the Glove Slap
- Dilbert has a comic where Dilbert opens a package, and by doing so agrees to a full cavity search at any time. Enter woman with the glove snap.
- The infamous glove-snapping scene in The Rocky Horror Picture Show.
- Latex glove snap done by a fearsomely large nurse in Armageddon.
- Implied in one scene in Kung Pow! Enter the Fist:
Master Tang: As you know, I am a man of special needs. One of you will now receive... the Fist of Fury!
(cut to students looking anxious)
Master Tang: Prepare... the long rubber glove. (sound of latex snapping) Eeny... meeny... miney... moe... I wonder where... my glove will go...
- Undercover Brother. One of Mr. Feather's minions does this repeatedly, greatly to Mr. Feather's annoyance.
- Fletch. A proctologist does this before giving Fletch an examination, as shown here.
- Jim Carrey's Count Olaf does this in his herpetologist disguise in Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events
- Rush Hour 3 - The two protagonists have been detained by security in a French airport.
Chris Tucker: Can we go now?
* this will just take a moment.
- The Mad Doctor in The Rescuers Down Under does this. "All right, girls, let's snap to it!" *snap* Oh! That smarts..."
- Played for Laughs in Wayne's World, when the Big Bad is being "searched for drugs".
- Judge Doom does this before putting a toon shoe in "the Dip."
- Missing in The Hand That Rocks the Cradle when the gynecologist, right before performing a vaginal exam, holds his hand up high enough for the patient, already in the stirrups, to see him put on his glove. As he brings his hand down and out of view, he slips the glove off and pockets it, so he can do the exam with his bare hand. He was a bad man.
- In The X-Files, Mulder accuses Scully of enjoying doing this.
- Tony of NCIS; though it's more comedic than sinister.
- NCIS: Los Angeles has used it for comedic affect, even more so in that it was the Geek that did the snapping.
- The Medic in Team Fortress 2 does it◊ with his Syringe gun taunts.
"Anuhza successful procedure!"
"Woops! Zat was not medicine."
"Did zat sting? Sorry!"
"Zat, vas doctor-assisted homicide!"
- He also does it in the ''Meet the Medic'' video, before he and the Heavy return to the battlefield. Notably, what he had been doing previously—open thoracic cavity surgery to implant an Uber Charge module—he did without benefit of gloves.
- During the 2008 American presidential campaign, Mitt Romney had the spectacularly bad luck/judgment to have this picture◊ taken of him.