Fanfic: Stallions On Strike
A My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic fanfic by Aegis Shield, found here.Big Macintosh goes on strike when he sees he's the one doing all the heavy lifting and harder work at Sweet Apple Acres while his sisters frolic. His idea catches fire throughout Ponyville, and soon every stallion (and Spike) is up in arms!This is one of the more satirical fanfics for the show, showing what the feminist movement would look like if it were stallions taking charge in a matriarchal society like Equestria. Common gender-related tropes and stereotypes are reversed, with the female characters getting the male-end of the stick and vice-versa.
This Fanfic contains examples of:
- All Mares Are Perverts: Well, Mrs. Cake and Pinkie Pie are, at least.
- Aroused by Their Voice: Before Sombra gets his dental appliances out of his mouth, he's The Unintelligible ("Wargh-rawrgh-snargh, Karg-argh?") After he gets them out, however...Sombra: Forgive my mild lisp up to this point, friends.Sombra’s voice was deep, syrupy, and rang like a bronze bell over the crowd. Something in it shook the air, vibrated it like the tones of a church signal bell or a tuning fork. It was a powerful thing meant for great speeches, soothing reveries, and wise statements. Everypony in the room oooh’d appreciatively, hoping he had more to say.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: When Spike asks Sombra to become leader of the SOS movement, he agrees simply because Spike sent him a crystal-growing kit for a Hearths' Warming Eve gift (presumably the only one he got).
- Double Standard: Abuse, Female on Male:
- Subverted; Twilight goes to jail for a week when she struck Snowflake. She was treated the same way a human man would get if he struck a woman in public.
- Of course, as with every other gender trope, it's inverted as well. Big Macintosh smacks some random mare who, in a very friendly way, asks if it's his birthday by way of explaining why he's not at work and she acts as if it were somehow her fault she got hit.
- Exiled to the Couch: Mr. Cake banished his wife to the couch. And Pinkie Pie, even though she has her own separate bedroom. They both went willingly.
- Furry Reminder: Stallions can have a herd of mares, like in real life.
- Gender-Inverted Trope: Good god, does it ever.
- Lifetime Movie of the Week: Fancy Pants and Fleur de Lis' side story, gender flipped of course, is a rather amusing send up of these. Fancy Pants is poor, abused and put upon while Fleur is a conniving, abusive bitch who only cares about herself.
- Mares Act, Stallions Are: One of the complaints stallions have.
- Mood Whiplash: The wacky antics of stallions mimicking the feminist movement are interspersed with distressingly frank discussions of rape and domestic violence.
- Persecution Flip: Oh very much. Common gender-related tropes are reversed here.
- To bring the point home, Rainbow Dash refers to stallions as the "fairer sex" in one chapter.
- Spotlight-Stealing Squad: Big McIntosh starts the whole thing but he quickly falls into the background. Sombra and Mr Cake have more focus than him.
- The Unintelligible: Subverted. Sombra's lines are largely gibberish except for the odd "cryyystallls". Turns out he's using braces the entire time and once he has them removed he can speak just fine. In fact, Sombra can speak so fine, its effect borders on Aroused by Their Voice.
- Intelligible Unintelligible: Though Spike, Twilight, and a number of other characters understand him perfectly.
- The Unreveal: The conditions around Sombra's Heel-Face Turn, as they're described by Sombra himself. Whatever it was it must've been pretty moving to convince Twilight (and everyone else) to trust him.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Sombra calls out the S.O.S. for storming Canterlot and imprisoning Celestia and Luna because they heard a rumor that Celestia had dismissed their petition outright, without bothering to check if the rumor was real. It was, but the summit to discuss the petition hadn't happened yet.