Russia's only real geostrategic option - the option that would give Russia a realistic international role and also maximize the opportunity of transforming and socially modernizing itself - is Europe.Any sort of setting in which Russia (or Kievan Rus', if in this continuity it never disintegrated into Russia, Belarus and Ukraine) is an inalienable part of the Western community, closely integrated with the Atlantic powers, and a member state of EU, NATO or whatever conglomerate of Western countries. If the storyline involves any sort of geopolitical confrontation, it would generally be between this alliance of countries and some Eastern bloc, usually led by China or Islamic states. In Real Life, it is a matter of debate whether Russia should be seen as a Western country or as a separate entity (possibly a "bridge" between East and West); however, most agree that Russia is culturally closer to Europe and West than to any other civilizational type (such as Middle Eastern states or Central Asian countries, which were previously part of the Russian empire).
ExamplesAnime and Manga
- In Code Geass, Russia is initially a part of the European Union, and later becomes a part of the Holy Britannian Empire (with St. Petersburg becoming the Empire's capital). The third bloc, which opposes both EU and Britannia, is the Asiatic Chinese Federation.
- In Ada, or Ardor by Vladimir Nabokov, most of the world is ruled by a Russo-Anglo-American dominion (North America is settled extensively by Russians, and Russian is one of its languages, along with English and French). They are fighting the Golden Horde in this world's version of the Cold War.
- In The Bear and the Dragon by Tom Clancy, US and Russia cement a friendship after the Cold War, and join forces to confront China.
- Land of Confusion by Disturbed is a negative version of this trope: the Russian president is depicted alongside the evil Western leaders who oppress the world.
- A common outcome in Crusader Kings 2 if the 867 start date is picked. The Rurikids who rule over Rus will often convert to Catholicism due to proximity to, and power of the western catholic realms, and will not convert to the orthodox church. This will lead to close diplomatic relations with western kingdoms, them joining crusades, etc.
- Empire Earth 2: Russia was added in the expansion as part of the Western civilizations (the Far East had Korea, Japan and China, while the Middle East had Turkey, Babylon and Egypt), allowing them to build Wonders such as the Parthenon, the Brandenburg Gate, and the Pentagon.
- From the cultural aspect, Russia (particularly its literature, music, painting, philosophy and architecture) is classified as a part of the West.
- The Islamic countries invariably see Russia (and all the other Christian states) as a part of the Western world; a number of European scholars are also inclined towards this point of view (for details, check out the Other Wiki).