Girly Skirt Twirl
Firo: Why'd you spin around?Tomboy with a Girly Streak will likely do this when she has a pretty dress she wouldn't normally wear. A Sub-Trope of Everything's Better with Spinning. Compare Cape Swish and Every Proper Lady Should Curtsy.
ExamplesAnime and Manga
- Sister Princess. When the sisters play 'bridal dress up' for pretend weddings with the protagonist, some of them do this. All fun and games.
- In Slayers, when Lina has a 'princess fantasy' early in the first season, it involves a pimped out dress and this trope. The girliness is likely to contrast what she she's usually like.
- In Axis Powers Hetalia, Chibitalia twirls around after Hungary gives him (yes, him) one of her dresses to wear. Holy Roman Empire is enamoured.
- Disney's Cinderella gets a magic dress. Twirl occurs almost instantly, during the line "have you ever seen such a beautiful dress?".
- Played for Laughs in Shrek Forever After when Shrek crashes a wedding early on in the Alternate Universe part of the film. No points for guessing who he's dressed as in this scene.
- In the "Somewhere That's Green" song in Little Shop of Horrors, Audrey spins around her dream house after dusting it (since a life of a housewife is still much better than the life she's currently living).
- Taken Up to Eleven in Disney's Mary Poppins. During the dance scene on the roof, the title character twirls so hard she goes flying for a few seconds (although the flying bit isn't focused on the skirt, because it's part of the choreography).
- In a male example that's played unusually straight, T.E. Lawrence does this in Lawrence of Arabia after he is given Arab-style robes to replace his British Army khakis.
- Thistlewit does this in Maleficent upon changing into her peasant woman form.
- Seen in the "Put on Your Sunday Clothes" scene in Hello, Dolly!, as the girl with Dolly shows off her nice dress.
- Claudia Walken from the Baccano! Light Novel greets Firo this way.
- When the District 12 team of The Hunger Games watches the replay of the interviews in the sitting room, Katniss thinks that she seems frilly and shallow, twirling and giggling in her sparkling dress, although the others assure her that she is charming.
- In The John Larroquette Show, the normally tough cop is a bridesmaid for a Cinderella themed wedding, and twirls around the room in her dress, accidentally tripping over a chair.
- In the Doctor Who episode "The Web of Fear", Victoria shows off her new dress by twirling in front of Jamie, but he's more interested in his plate of sandwiches.
- In BioShock Infinite, Elizabeth does this when dancing on the beach. That entire sequence's purpose is to demonstrate her innocence and childlike attitude after spending most of her life locked in a tower.
- In an episode of Rugrats, Phil and Chuckie decide to wear dresses and naively perform these for fun.
- In "Monty Can't Buy Me Love" from The Simpsons, Homer does this while wearing a kilt, revealing that he's not wearing underwear.
- If you've ever worn a skirt before, you've probably done this.