Fanfic: Superwomen of Eva 2: Lone Heir of Krypton
Having been conceived by donor sperm, Asuka never knew who her biological father was, but she assumed he was someone extraordinary. She had no idea how right she was, but she's going to find out.Superwomen of Eva 2: Lone Heir of Krypton
is a Superwomen of Eva
story that casts everyone's favorite boastful and brash Fiery Redhead
, Asuka Langley Soryu, as the Flying Brick Power Girl
, at least at first
. The story follows Asuka from her first discovery of her powers, her pitched battles against supervillains, and beyond.
Currently under construction. Please add tropes as you see them!
This Superwomen of Eva 2 story contains examples of the following:
- Almost Kiss: Kaji ruins the moment.
- Anger Born of Worry: Shinji is on the brunt end of this from Asuka after instinctively running to try and save a little girl from a collapsing building, only to be saved by Supergirl.
- Anything You Can Do, I Can Do Better: The whole reason Asuka becomes a superhero is so that she can upstage Wonder Girl in the headlines of the local tabloid.
- Apocalypse Cult: The Light of the Divine, who believe the Angels are God's judgment.
- Attention Whore: Asuka, at the beginning.
- Back-to-Back Badasses: Asuka and Wonder Girl team up a few times in the story.
- Once when fighting off Brainiac.
- Again when facing down Parasite.
- Becoming the Boast: Asuka.
- Big Damn Hero: Shinji when he uses an Eva power cord to rescue Asuka and Unit 02 from Leliel.
- Broken Pedestal: Kaji to Asuka.
- Bull Fight Boss: Supergirl and Wonder Girl defeat Parasite using this tactic to cause a Phlebotinum Overload.
- The Cape: The real point of this story is Asuka growing out of being a self-centered girl and into this trope and as well as an Ideal Hero.
- Character Development: Asuka gets this. Lots of it. In spades.
- Clark Kenting: Subverted. Asuka takes an effort into masking her identity, including using a blonde wig and a mask when she's in her superhero persona. Misato and Rei may have figured things out, though.
- Combo Platter Powers: Asuka gets whole Kryptonian package, including:
- Comes Great Responsibility: After being shown Jor-El's message Asuka strives to live up to the ideal of hope that Kal-El could have been.
- The responsibility of being a superhero is also one of the major overarching themes of the story.
- Continuity Nod: An interesting one: When Asuka is testing her powers, she comes across the scrapped wreck of the rail-mounted mortar that the Fifth Angel destroyed during his rampage. Her surprise when she's able to lift it up is palpable.
- Deadpan Snarker: Shinji, in one omake.
Shinji: "Oh, gee, I'm so sorry. I don't know why I'm reacting like this. It's not like I'm surrounded by beautiful women who are tearing their own clothes off or anything."
- Designer Babies: Asuka is born via artificial insemination from an unknown father.
- Distracted by the Sexy: Happens to Shinji a few times during the fic, and to Asuka when she notices how much the weight training has helped Shinji.
- Does Not Know Her Own Strength: Naturally, Asuka has no clue how strong she is once she starts developing her powers. Her first attempt to find out ends in fire and destruction. And that's before she gets heat vision.
- Domino Mask: What Asuka wears as both Power Girl and Supergirl to prevent someone from figuring out who she is. Also wears a blonde wig.
- Enemy Mine: The first time that Asuka and Wonder Girl are on the same battlefield is during the Brainiac crisis. The first time they have to work together is when Parasite kidnaps them both to use as "power chargers". Asuka finds a lot of respect for Wonder Girl on that day-time will tell if they become Fire-Forged Friends.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Fuyutsuki has several moments showing this throughout the fic, such as chewing out Gendo over not even trying to feign concern over his son, and almost having a heart attack when Gendo tells him he's starting to crack the Scroll's intel on the Anti-Life Equation.
- For Want of a Nail: Several nails influence this fic: The first one is a minor miscalculation on Jor-El's part, which results in Kal-El's ship crash-landing in Germany, killing him, and STAR Labs taking it for analysis; the second one is STAR Labs's funding being cut heavily by Seele as part of their Evil Plan, eventually turning it into a glorified sperm bank; the third one is Kyoko Zeppelin Sohryu wanting to have a baby and so going to STAR Labs to get an in vitro fertilization; and the fourth and most important one is her being good friends with Emil Hamilton, who does the procedure... and as the former head of the Kryptonian retrieval project and knowing how powerful Kal-El would have become (and seeing how screwed up the world is becoming), takes a brief dip in the (benevolent) Mad Scientist pool and fertilizes the ova that will be Asuka with Kryptonian DNA.
- Friend or Idol Decision: Brainiac tempts Asuka with a knowledge orb of Krypton. She doesn't gives as much of a damn about it as Brainiac thought she would have, but she does try to save it when Brainiac's ship starts to explode. She fails to but manages to save a knowledge orb with recordings of Kyoko when she was sane, instead. Later on she has a similar moment when Leliel starts to swallow Evangelion Unit-02 and she tries to decide whether to eject from the Eva and be Supergirl all the time or not. Shinji saves her before her Evangelion completely falls into the Dirac Sea, rendering it (temporarily) moot.
- And now she's quit being an Eva pilot for good.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Asuka. Half-human, half-Kryptonian.
- Heroes Want Redheads: Shinji is infatuated with Asuka.
- How Do I Shot Web?: Asuka's powers start to manifest during the battle with the Sixth Angel. Some Hilarity Ensues during the next couple of chapters as Asuka tries to find out her capabilities.
- I Have No Daughter: Superman tells Asuka this during the Mind Rape illusion.
- Ideal Hero: As she undergoes Character Development Asuka begins to truly try to live up to this lofty ideal.
- Kingpin in His Gym: A heroic version. Knowing that becoming stronger (even if she's holding back a lot) and the muscles she's developing because of her powers triggering will look suspicious otherwise, Asuka starts to spend a lot of time on NERV's gym, doing weights. Shinji starts to exercise alongside her for the company, and the results draw Asuka's eye during some downtime.
- Kryptonite Factor: Well, duh.
- Leotard of Power: Asuka's uniform as Power Girl (little change from the 'canon' design is Asuka having a V-shaped cut which shows her cleavage instead of the classic "boob window"). As Supergirl she uses the Pre-New52 "cheerleader" outfit, with plenty of Bare Your Midriff. Needless to say, both can be pretty Stripperiffic at times (and this is pointed out in the fic and the omake).
- Meaningful Rename: When people stop calling Asuka Power Girl and start calling her Supergirl you know there's been a significant change in her character.
- Mind Rape: Happens like in canon, and completely smashes Asuka. Her worst nightmare becomes "true" as the Angel pulls an Inception and has her think that she broke out of the canon Mind Rape by going berserk and killing everybody she loves (and the Angel, and Wonder Girl) with her bare hands, plus an appearance by Superman to give her a rather scathing speech. Shinji also was affected, but turns out that what remained of his Extreme Doormat tendencies gave him some amount of resistance.
- Mythology Gag: Like many versions of Superman, Power Girl makes her debut rescuing a falling aircraft.
- Later on, she saves a teenage girl from a mugger and then helps her find her cat. The cat's name? Streaky.
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain:
- Non-Action Guy: Shinji.
- Oblivious to Love: Of the "deep, deep denial" variety.
- Official Couple: Shinji and Asuka.
- Panty Shot: Happens to Asuka in an omake. Much to the continued good health of the poor bastard who gets a view while she was saving him from a burning building, Asuka is Genre Savvy enough to not kick into (superpowered) Pervert Revenge Mode.
- Patchwork Fic: The Superman aspects of the fic are taken from many different sources, including the comics, the DCAU, and the various live action films.
- Replacement Scrappy: After Arael Asuka begins to see herself as this In-Universe to the dead Kal-El, thinking that he is far more deserving of their powers.
- Secret Keeper: Emil Hamilton to Asuka. Also Kaji. And now Shinji.
- Secret Secret Keeper: Possibly both Rei Ayanami and Misato Katsuragi.
- Shooting Power Girl: It works about as well as you'd expect.
- Soft Glass: At one point, a Seele commando smoothly breaks a car window and knocks out the driver with the butt of a rifle in one stroke.
- Stripperiffic: Both of her superhero outfits. Played for Laughs in an omake where Asuka has a Catapult Nightmare concerning wearing a Supergirl outfit that can only be described as a very tiny bikini (It Makes Sense in Context).
- Superpowerful Genetics: What kicks off the entire plot.
- Tempting Fate: During a power outage, Bridge Bunny Makoto has this to say:
Makoto: "And I thought it couldn't get any worse than having to pick up Misato's dry cleaning for her. Honestly, could this day possibly get any worse?"
- Thou Shalt Not Kill: Averted. Asuka holds back when facing common criminals, but when going up against the Angels or a supervillain like Brainiac or Parasite she shows no compunctions about killing.
- Tsundere: Asuka.
- Wham Episode: Several.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Unintentionally given by Jor-El's recording to Asuka. Superman, of all people, gives her a much more brutal and direct one during her Mind Rape illusion, which completely breaks her.
- When He Smiles: ...Shinji makes Asuka's heart race.