Fanfic: Tails of the Old Republic
Tails of the Old Republic
is a crossover/ Fusion Fic
based on Sonic the Hedgehog
and Star Wars
: Knights of the Old Republic
. First published in January of 2010 on DeviantArt
by Pyre Vulpimorph
, the story attempts to weave Miles "Tails" Prower from the Sonic 'verse into the narrative of Knights of the Old Republic, starring the Mobian fox boy as the Player Character
Still a work in progress.
Available at Fanfiction.net
here: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9560510/1/Tails-of-the-Old-RepublicPyre Vulpimorph
page can be found here: http://pyre-vulpimorph.deviantart.com/Chapter 001Complete (current) Table of Contents
For an image of Tails as (mostly) envisioned by the author, see Red Hot Fox BoyCover art
by Undergr0und Furry
Tails of the Old Republic contains examples of:
- Ace Pilot: Tails had never ridden a Swoop Bike before, and although he struggled with with one at first, he could soon compete with the swoop racing champions of the Lower City of Taris.
- Action Girl: Both Mission Vao and Bastila Shan qualify.
- Alternate Continuity: The Mobius Tails comes from takes elements from the American cartoons and comics, the Sega video games, and Sonic X.
- Anatomy Arsenal: There's a reason Miles' nickname is Tails!
- Absurdly Sharp Blade: Tails’ primary power, his tail-blades, can cut through both steel and monsters with ease. Said blades are nothing but his tail fur, but hardened and flattened into flexible blade-like ribbons!
- Adaptive Armor: Related to the above, by powering up his tails, he can form nearly impenetrable barriers with them. Problem is, they don’t work so well against blasters or lightsabers.
- Prehensile Tail: Both of them! Tails can exercise fine control over his namesakes like an extra pair of hands. Can overlap with Combat Tentacles when he wants them to.
- Tail Slap: When he just wants to painfully bludgeon you instead of slice you in half. Each two and a half meter-long appendage can whip you with the force of a truck.
- Whip Sword: When in blade-mode, the boy’s tails are typically whip-like ribbons, not rigid swords.
- Awesomeness by Analysis: Part of how Tails learns new tech. He could disassemble a headset and a blaster and even reconfigure them more to his liking just by studying them.
- Armor Is Useless: Tails holds this opinion throughout much of his stay on Taris, believing armor would just slow him down without providing any real benefit. And seeing how both lightsabers and blaster bolts burn through anything not designed stop stop them, its practically justified. But after Kebla Yurt designs a custom-fitted armor kit for him, made from very tough and advanced ablative ceramics, Tails starts to see some benefit. The armor saves Tails' life multiple times in his duel with Bendak.
- Badass Bookworm: Tails the fox most definitely qualifies as this.
- Balloon Belly: Happens regularly when Tails stuffs himself food.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: The reason Sarna invited Tails to her late-night Sith party, much to Yun Genda’s drunken frustration.
- Berserk Button: DO NOT hurt someone or even threaten them where Tails can see or hear. You will regret it.
- Beware My Stinger Tail: Tails' namesakes are quite versatile in this story and form the center of his combat abilities.
- Big Eater: Taken to Running Gag levels as he regularly stuffs himself whenever he can shovel food into his mouth. Carth Onasi lampshades this when he asks, "Were you chronically starved on your planet?!?"
- Brain Uploading: Desperate to find ways to help the Outcasts of Taris before he leaves, Tails finds a way to download his brain, or rather his knowledge of science and engineering, into several datapads so the Outcasts can build up their own self-sustaining civilization and break free of their Scavenger World existence.
- Break the Cutie: Tails begins to suffer this as he experiences the death and destruction around him.
- But I Read A Book About It: Tails being who he is, this is also how he learns. When confronted by all the shiny new tech the Star Wars verse has to offer him, he seeks any and all technical documentation he can find. When Zelka Forn gives him the docs on some medical equipment, Tails squees so hard.
- Can't Catch Up: How Tails compares himself to his friends and allies back on Mobius, much to his frustration. It's what lead him to install the cybernetic augmentations in his body
- Carnivore Confusion: Discussed by Tails and Carth.
- Cartoony Tail: Two of them, of course. In this story, now that he's a teenager, they've grown to twice the length of his own body.
- Chairman of the Brawl: After Sarna invites Tails to a late-night Sith party, the party goes bad. Tails smacks at least one Sith with a chair.
- Character Alignment: Pyre-Vulpimorph has specifically stated that Tails' Dungeons & Dragons alignment is "Neutral Good", although his new teenage impulsiveness is edging him more towards "Chaotic Good" like Sonic.
- Chick Magnet: Chapter 005 describes in great detail what adolescence has done to Tails' body. While still short and wiry by Human standards, Tails is now much taller and more muscular than before. Think 'highly athletic teenager' and you're on the right track. Tails gets hit on by multiple characters, much to his confusion and embarrassment.
- Chronic Hero Syndrome: Tails' perennial MO, with him even referring to the trope by name. It very nearly gets him killed, and Carth Onasi calls him out on it during a Timed Mission.
- Cruel Mercy: Tails planned to defeat Bendak, keep him alive, and have him go to jail for the rest of his life. Bendak instead decides to pull a Taking You with Me and activates a bomb in his armor...
- Cyborg: Tails is one, by his own choice. He has reinforced bones, organ function monitors/regulators, nanomachines, and a secondary neural network.
- Damsel in Distress: How Tails initially views Bastila. She gets out on her own. Couldn't admit she needed help, though.
- Darker and Edgier: Tails' backstory is much more brutal and violent than in the SEGA games.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Tails slowly drops hints that, while he tries to be a moral and upstanding guy, his record isn't entirely squeaky-clean. After waking up in the abandoned apartment on Taris, we get our first glimpse that Tails has killed before.
- Deadpan Snarker: Both Tails and Carth Onasi have their moments.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Bastila. She even stops Carth from laying too hard into Tails after the duel with Bendak.
- Eat the Bomb: In his duel with Bendak, Tails suffers from the effects of multiple sonic grenades thrown at him. Retreating from them and even plugging his ears does absolutely nothing to lessen their damage. But then he gets the idea to use his Hammerspace — when one sonic grenade gets chucked his way, he lashes his tail at it, not to destroy it or slap it away, but absorb it. Given the stasis-like nature of Tails' Hammerspace, he gets a day or two to dispose of it before it blows up.
- Emotion Suppression: Tails uses his cybernetics to clamp down on his emotions when he needs them to. They also keep his teenage male libido suppressed.
- Evil Is Not a Toy: Tails thinks back to several occasions where Robotnik tried to control forces beyond his ken and failed, like Perfect Chaos, Tabuu and Dark Gaia.
- Extreme Omnivore: Tails. Justified due to the fact that he has abnormally strong stomach acid, cybernetic implants in his digestive system, and gut flora he genetically engineered. He does however have some issues with too much starch and sugar, and can't really eat chocolate due to the risk of theobromine poisoning.
- Fantastically Indifferent: How Carth reacts to Tails’ reveal that he can fly as a Heli Critter. Oh, sure, he punched Tails on the nose, but that was for (seemingly) jumping to his death and then treating it as a game. Afterwards, Carth has little trouble letting Tails carry him.
- Fantastic Fighting Style: Tails’ own, self-taught battle techniques, honed and refined after a decade of experience fighting Eggman’s robotic armies alongside Sonic. Also, the seven lightsaber forms of the Jedi.
- Flat "What.": Whenever Tails says or does something extraordinary, baffling, or stupid this shows up. And it's always directed at Tails.
- Furry Confusion
- Good Is Not Soft: Tails would rather avoid killing you if he can help it. However, he might just break every bone in your body to stop you.
- G-Rated Drug: Chocolate is a controlled substance on Mobius.
- Groin Attack: Considering how hard Tails kicked him, Yun Genda might no longer be in the “male” category…
- Jack of All Stats: Tails isn't as fast as Sonic, as strong as Knuckles, etc. The only thing he really excels at among his friends is his skill with technology and his tail-blades. This let to him making himself a Cyborg in order to catch up.
- Half-Dressed Cartoon Animal: Mobians view the hands and feet as the most private parts of the body, and thus covering them is a top priority, everything else being a matter of personal preference. Tails has to subvert this by wearing clothes though.
- Half the Man He Used to Be: More than one rakghoul in the Undercity met this fate.
- Hammerspace: Used and discussed by Tails, much to Carth's bewilderment. Tails basically carries a portable pocket dimension in his tails, and he even calls it Hyperspace Inventory (though he did call it Hammerspace at one time due to Amy's pulling her Piko Piko Hammer out of her pocket dimension)! Carth Onasi eventually dubs it "tailspace". Apparently time moves slower in it.
- Hates Being Touched: Or rather, hates being touched without having given permission. Tails notes that he likes female contact, but he hates it when random females start touching him in random places without his prior authorization. Which leads to a hilarious moment when he catches someone snuggled against him while sleeping.
- Healing Factor: Even without the Power Rings from his home, Tails can still heal fairly quickly from traumatic injury. His healing factor can be overwhelmed, however, and it does scavenge healthy tissue if there’s not enough free protein and calories in him to go around. Tails’ Big Eater habits are more than justified because of this.
- Heli Critter: Of course. In here, Tails has two flight modes: his general-purpose 'helicopter mode' that has great versatility and a top speed of about 200 MPH, and a much faster and energy-intensive 'turbofan mode' (similar to a jet engine) that can propel him up to 600 MPH or higher. Carth lampshades how absurd this is when Tails carries him down to the Undercity.
- Heroic BSOD: After Bendak blows himself up, Tails flees back to the hideout and curls up into a ball until the others arrive.
- Hope Is Scary: This is referenced by Tails.
- I Did What I Had to Do: How Tails rationalizes killing to survive or to save his friends.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Rakghouls? Meet the pointy end of the fox’s tail-blades. Also, Bendak Starkiller gets taken down with a stab through both his lungs.
- Implausible Fencing Powers: Tail-blades, how do they work?! Also, all Jedi by default.
- Info Dump: Consciously avoided by the author throughout the fanfic’s run, with tidbits of information about Tails’ backstory and the world he’s now in being delivered chapter by chapter. Then, in Chapter 044, Bastila delivers a 750-word rundown of the seven lightsaber combat forms. This was immediately lampshaded by the author in the description box. Justified, perhaps, by Tails' natural curiosity on the subject.
This might be my first chapter I've written an actual infodump
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Tails can't remember anything between leaving his home planet Mobius and waking up aboard the Endar Spire. He estimates about six months of memories are missing. Having no clue how or why he left Mobius to fight for some inter-planetary government he knows nothing about causes him no end of consternation.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: after Tails gets some much-needed healing at Zelka's clinic.
Tails: Whoa... I feel like I leveled up, or something.
Zelka: Leveled up?
Tails: Sorry, it's a video game term. I'm a nerd like that.
- Made of Iron: Tails take heaps of abuse and keeps on trucking.
- Mood Whiplash: The author can shift from dark and serious subject matter to Hilarity Ensues in the span of a paragraph.
- Mr. Fanservice: TAILS of all people. Not even two weeks on Taris, and at least four females fall for him. He handles it with all the (lack of) grace you’d expect of a teenage boy. By the way the author describes him, Tails is supposed to be this for the audience as well. One image the author has is even titled Red Hot Fox Boy.
- Multi-Armed and Dangerous: Let’s see, two arms, two legs, and oh yeah, two tails of spinny, whippy death!
- My God, What Have I Done?: Tails' reaction to killing the Sith troopers aboard the Endar Spire.
- Neck Snap: In the sewers of Taris, Tails had no choice but to dispatch a Gamorrean this way. Tails also suffers a brutally realistic one in a nightmare aboard Revan’s flagship!
- Nightmare Sequence: Several.
- In the very first chapter, a young and weak Miles Prower battles the Egg Walker, taking traumatic injury. It solidifies his status as a Determinator and forms his Establishing Character Moment for the whole series.
- In Chapter 017, Tails has a brief happy memory with his parents, then degrades 'like a corroded video tape in an old cassette player with scratchy heads' as his parents vanish and he's attacked by the Battle Kukku Army.
- A particularly trippy one in Chapter 038 symbolizes his insecurities and his separation from his childhood friends.
- In Chapter 040, Tails remembers what he believes to be the final assault on Eggman's fortress, only for the dream to glitch out wildly, putting Tails on Revan's flagship just moments before Malak's betrayal.
- Noodle Incident: In the Undercity, Tails off-handedly mentions he feels like “Dulcy’s uncles tried to eat [him]”. Dulcy is a dragon…
- Off with His Head!: How Bastila finishes Brejik.
- Omnidisciplinary Scientist: When Tails was on Earth he was awarded eleven PhDs and eight master’s degrees in the fields of science, engineering, and mathematics, with some minoring in biotechnology and cybernetics.
- One-Hit-Point Wonder: Averted for Tails in this series; he takes damage like anyone else does. He starts pining for Power Rings as his injuries start piling up, though.
- Our Nudity Is Different: Mobians view the hands and feet as the most important parts of the body to cover up, everything else is optional for them.
- Parental Abandonment: Tails notes his parents vanished when he was very young, and only recently did he discover their names were Rosemary and Amadeus Prower. No one knows what happened to them.
- Parental Substitute: Sonic filled this void for Tails. He was the one person there for him while growing up and fighting Robotnik.
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse: Tails is barely four feet tall (125 cm) and a hundred and ten pounds (50 kg), but he’s the single fastest and second-strongest member of the party (after Zaalbar) and can kill you with a mere touch of his long, whip-like namesakes… like slicing you in half. Failing that, Tails can easily break all your bones with conventional melee tactics.
- Plot-Relevant Age-Up: Tails has been aged to 14 years old here, up from his canonical age of 8.
- Power Creep, Power Seep: Tails is much stronger and tougher here than is implied in the games or other media he regularly features in, though this is justified due to both him being older and him making himself a Cyborg.
- Punctuated Pounding: Deep in the Black Vulkar base, Tails & Co. fight one last battle to retrieve the stolen swoop bike accelerator. After a brutal melee with Kandon’s bodyguard, Tails finally finishes her by rearranging her face.
Tails: "Now! Sit! Still! And! Take! Your! Lumps!”
- Reluctant Warrior: Tails. It doesn't help that he has a self-admitted case of Chronic Hero Syndrome.
- Product Placement: Invoked in-universe by Kebla Yurt when Tails buys armor for his duel with Bendak. Tails lampshades this.
- Scars Are Forever: Tails' body is a circuit board of old bullet wounds and lacerations, and he knows them all by "date, opponent, and serial number". To him, his scars are much like the medals pinned to a soldier's uniform. Unlike Sonic, who can perform suicidally stupid stunts and escape mostly unscathed, Tails has to work for his heroism.
- Ship Tease: Between Tails and Mission! It does make some sense, as both of them are the same age in this story. Word of God says he never actually intended this to happen, it just… did.
- Shout-Out: Being Star Wars and Sonic the Hedgehog crossover, there are references aplenty to both franchises. A few Shout Outs stand out:
- Tails channels Darth Vader in chapter 008, finding Carth's lack of faith in him disturbing.
- Tails has an emotional response in chapter 020 to drinking Tarisian Ale.
- When talking to Holden in chapter 024, Tails notes that going Super Smash Bros. on his dumb butt wasn't exactly Plan A.
- In chapter 039, Tails hopes the swoop bike he's about to ride has a G-Diffuser in it.
- In chapter 047, Tails wants you to know he built the Tornado II in a cave! With a box of scraps!
- Sleep Cute: Twice with both Tails & Mission. The first time was an accident, with Tails falling into a panic-induced meltdown when he realizes what’s happened. The second time, Tails accepts her offer to sleep in the same bed as him with minimal grumbling. After what happened last chapter, Tails really, really needed her presence.
- Steel Eardrums: Played with. In Tails' death duel with Bendak in Chapter 043, the boy notes how grenade explosions were greatly muffled in previous duels because of the arena's energy suppressors. With them off, grenades would be much more powerful and deadly — and LOUD. Tails manages to weather several such explosion without too much damage, but then the sonic grenades come out.
- In Chapter 007, Carth tosses a pair of frag grenades to wipe out a pair of Sith and their droids. Tails suffers tinnitus temporarily, but apparently no one else does.
- Super-Powered Evil Side: Strongly hinted at in the second Vulkar Base chapter, where Tails nearly loses it in his fight with Kandon’s bodyguard. Tails’ vision turns red, his strength and reflexes spike, he bites her arm, slashes her face with his bare claws, and snaps her arm like a celery stalk. Tails has to desperately struggle to restrain himself.
Tails: "No! I am NOT letting you out today!"
- Super Reflexes: Fighting rampaging robots all your life tends to require this of you. Tails isn’t Sonic, however, and he can still get out-maneuvered or overwhelmed if he isn’t careful.
- Super Senses: Super-hearing, especially, but Tails’ vision and sense of smell are well above the typical Human’s.
- Sensory Overload: When his night vision is active, bright lights will temporarily blind him. Then there’s those sonic grenades…
- Super Speed: Tails is an excellent sprinter who could give Usain Bolt a run for his money, but flying is where Tails shines. He notes he can’t break the sound barrier like Sonic or Shadow can, but he can still get up to 200 MPH/ 300 KPH in “helicopter” mode, and up to 650 MPH/ 1050 KPH in “turbofan” mode.
- Super Strength: Subverted for Tails. He’s is now one of the strongest Mobians alive, and only a few like Knuckles, Big, and Shadow outclass him. The catch? He’s only as powerful as a very strong, well-trained Human athlete. Zaalbar has Super Strength, and Tails notes that the big Wookiee could easily rip him in half.
- Swallowed Whole: After a brief but desperate struggle, the rancor beast in the sewers scoops up a critically wounded and De Powered Tails and gulps him down.
- Kill It Through Its Stomach: Tails had a blaster, but he was so near death by that point already that he almost didn’t get a chance to use it. It took a valiant struggle inside the rancor, but Tails was able to reposition himself inside its stomach and shoot it through its heart.
- Take That: a mild example, but the author goes out of his way to ensure the Outcasts have a future in chapter 047.
- Teeth Flying: Tails literally gets two teeth punched out of his face in his duel with Bendak.
- Taking You with Me: Tails wins his duel with Bendak without killing him, planning on having the duelist arrested. But when Tails refuses to kill him, Bendak activates a bomb in his armor, killing himself, and Tails only narrowly escapes.
- These Hands Have Killed: Tails takes it very, very badly when he's the cause of someone's death.
- Thou Shalt Not Kill: Part of Tails' philosophy on life. He's unable to keep it.
- Translation Convention: All spoken languages are presented as English to the reader, even those not speaking Galactic Basic.
- Translator Microbes are averted, however, with Tails being an Omniglot. When Trask Ulgo bursts in on him in chapter 002, Tails specifically notes that the man's not speaking any Earth-Human language and certainly not any Mobian dialect. Tails hesitantly tries a few words in Basic, and then doesn't speak a line of Mobian afterwords (except as sleep-mumbling).
- Try Not to Die: Just before Tails’ death match with Bendak, Mission harangues him a bit about the wisdom and morality of his decision. As she departs, though, she looks back to tell him this trope.
Mission: Please don’t die.
- Ungrateful Bitch: Bastila, who doesn't show much gratitude towards Tails and Carth's efforts to rescue her, to the point that Carth is obviously annoyed and Tails has to resist the urge to bitch-slap her, and when she finally admits that he did at least "help" in her escape, it's very grudgingly.
- Wake-Up Call Boss: The rakghoul swarm of Chapter 029. Tails gets absolutely shredded.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: Tails loses his shirt between Chapters 017 to 022, and again between 030 and 038. People comment.
- What Measure Is a Mook?: After meeting Sarna, a junior officer with the Sith, Tails ponders the nature of this trope if he had to face her in battle. He even notes how, in her Sith armor, Sarna would be just another faceless mook and completely dehumanized.
- Wild Child: Tails was one before he met Sonic.
- Year Outside, Hour Inside: Tails has figured out that in his "tailspace", one day outside equals approximately one second inside. Or, more accurately, 27 hours & 45 minutes equals one second
- You Are Better Than You Think You Are: Tails tells this to Sarna before he departs.
- You Wake Up in a Room: Tails wakes up aboard the Endar Spire with no recollection of how or why he got there.