Sonic Generations: Friendship is Timeless is a Crossover Fan Fiction between My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic and Sonic Generations, created by GreenSonic21. It can be found on Fanfiction.Net here and on Fimfiction.Net here.The events of the intro cutscene of Sonic Generations still occured like in the original: Sonic's friends set up a surprise birthday party for him, Sonic shows up to it, and then the Time Eater shows up shortly afterwards, sending Sonic's friends to different parts of Sonic's history.However, before that happened, the Mane 6 and some of their friends were having a picnic in Ponyville when the Time Eater also shows up and sends the ponies to different parts of Sonic's history.Now the ponies must join these strange new creatures from another world and destroy this eminent threat that is threatening both of their worlds. Truths will be revealed, lies will be ripped out, and two worlds' fates and a friendship will hang in the balance.Like in Sonic Generations, the story is divided into three parts:
- Classic Era: Chapters 2-6 (Green Hill, Metropolis, Ice Cap)
- Dreamcast Era: Chapters 7-11 (Lost World/Windy Valley, Mission Street, Frog Forest)
- Modern Era: Chapters 12-15 (Flame Core, Dragon Road, Sweet Mountain/Planet Wisp)
- Sonic the Hedgehog 2: Dummied Out Hidden Palace Zone
- Sonic and Knuckles: Lava Reef Zone, Hidden Palace Zone
- Sonic 3D Blast: Flickies' Island
- Sonic CD: Final Fever
- Shadow the Hedgehog: Central City
- Sonic Adventure: Twinkle Park
- Sonic Heroes: Casino Park
This Fan Fic contains examples of the following tropes:
- Adaptation Expansion: Despite the fanfic still taking the same games that Sonic Generations took, it does not take most of the levels. Green Hill is still used, but the levels after that are completely different. Some of the events of the original game are also modified: Tails fights Metal Sonic instead of Sonic himself, Nightmare Moon is the boss of the Classic Era instead of the Death Egg Robot, and the Final Hazard takes Perfect Chaos's place, to name a few examples.
- In addition, even though the story takes mostly elements from the 360/PS3/PC versions of Sonic Generations, it also uses elements from the Nintendo 3DS version of the game.
- Always Check Behind the Chair: One portal was found inside a book. Another one was found under a bed.
- Ascended Extra: Marine plays an important role in chapter 14, despite not being featured at all in the original game. Orbot and Cubot also make an appearance, despite only showing up in a flashback in the original game.
- Author Appeal: Chapter 14 uses five different pieces of music, all from Delta Brony. They're all in this page, by the way.
- Bait-and-Switch Boss/Giant Space Flea from Nowhere: Chapter 10 makes you think that Sonic will be battling Shadow like in the original game, but then Queen Chrysalis and her army of changelings show up...
- Shadow having a question mark next to his name in the chapter's title is kind of a hint to this.
- Berserk Button/Beware the Nice Ones: Do not make Amy angry. Spike learns this the hard way.Spike: WHY WOULD YOU LEAVE ME WITH SOMEONE LIKE HER?
Sonic: WHY DO YOU THINK I SAID DON'T MAKE HER ANGRY? WHAT, YOU THINK I WAS BEING CUTE?
- Also, don't insinuate that Shadow's decision to move on means that he doesn't love Maria any more. Too bad Shining Armor didn't know when to stop.
- For that matter, Luna was also livid after learning from Applejack that Eggman blew up his world's moon in half, to the point that she ordered Shining Armor to arrest him.
- Big Bad Duumvirate: Dr. Eggman and Discord.
- Brought Down to Normal: During the Changeling attack on Ponyville, Sonic uses the Chaos Emeralds to disable their ability to change shape. Given Chrysalis' reaction, this is probably permanent.
- Call Forward: Chapter 1 of the Adventures on the Friendship Express includes a reference to Sonic Lost World, even though, as far as Sonic canon is concerned, this occurs before that game begins.
- The Cameo: Lyra and Bon-Bon follow the group to Chun-nan in chapter 13 and Lyra freaks out when she sees the humans there.
- Canon Discontinuity: As season 3 of FiM was being broadcasted during the creation of the fic, the author's done a great job incorporating its canon into the story. Twilight's still not an alicorn, though (she does, however, gain wings in chapter 17). The events of "Keep Calm and Flutter On" also seem to have never happened (at least, not yet), since Discord is one of the Big Bads. According to the bonus chapter "The Doctor and the Chaotician", the events of this fanfic happen not too long before "Keep Calm and Flutter On".
- Continuity Nod: More to the FiM side than the Sonic side (as if the original game didn't already have enough Continuity Nods as it is...):
- Derpy says a line quite similar to the one she said in her first appearance in chapter 1.
- The numbers that Tails' radar displays in chapter 3 are the original North American release dates for the first three main Sonic games.
- When battling Nightmare Moon in chapter 6, Applejack uses Twilight like a gatling gun, the same way Pinkie Pie did.
- When battling the changelings in Ponyville in chapter 10, Pinkie Pie once again uses her party cannon.
- When Princess Celestia asks Sonic why the Chaos Emeralds are named as such, Sonic gives a brief summary of the backstory of Sonic Adventure.
- When Tails asks if everypony is familiar with mind control, Twilight glances in her brother's direction before answering that they "kind of are..."
- King Sombra's horn, which flew off into the distance after he was destroyed at the end of "The Crystal Empire", shows up in chapter 13.
- Discord once again drinks a glass of chocolate milk, throwing the milk away. Sonic wonders if he puts nitroglycerine in the milk.
- Eggman's "The Reason You Suck" Speech is full of continuity nods to previous FiM episodes.
- Crisis Crossover: In much the same way as the original game, just replace Classic Sonic with the ponies.
- Demoted to Extra: Perfect Chaos is the boss of the Dreamcast era in the original game. In this fanfic, Chaos does shows up, but in his Chaos 0 form, to help the heroes in the Changeling battle in chapter 10.
- Drama Queen: Rarity, of course, from the second she turns back to normal. The narration even refers to her as such. (She's the trope image and the page quote for a good reason.) Even what she says is reminiscent of what she said before:Rarity: What are you talking about? That was utterly terrifying! My beautiful body was completely white! And I was floating around like a ghost! Of all the worst things that could happen, that was the. Worst. POSSIBLE. THING!
- Eleventh Hour Superpower: Sonic turns into Super Sonic during the Final Boss fight, of course, but the Mane 6 also gain Super forms of their own.
- Facepalm: Sonic, twice.
- When they save Amy and Spike in Metropolis Zone, Sonic does this after Amy says she thought she would never get to flirt with him again.
- After Rarity's initial Drama Queen moment.
- He even does a step-by-step on how to do it: 1:Raise hand. 2:Open palm. 3: Connect palm to forehead.
- Fastball Special: Twice during the Final Battle. First, after Discord summoned the Werehog from Sonic's own Chaos Energy in the hopes of getting an extra ally, only for the Werehog to have a Heel–Face Turn after it was summoned, Super Sonic used it in this manner to distract Discord. Then, after Discord managed to have a little more success with a Black Knight version of Excalibur Sonic that was created from the Shadowbolts being blasted by the Element of Loyalty, after it turned on him because it was loyal to Princess Luna, when Discord pulled a You Have Outlived Your Usefulness and made Black Knight Sonic start to disintegrate, he got a Dying Moment of Awesome by using his BFS to pull one of these with Super Sonic, sending him right at the Time Eater so he could retrieve the Element of Magic.
- Foreshadowing: Before Discord reveals himself as one of the Big Bads, he has made his presence known at several points in the fanfic. The Author's Notes of chapter 16 should explain everything for you.
- Gesundheit:Applejack: Ah don't what that is, but Ah don't think Pinkie Pie knows anythin' about no nin… ten… du…
Rainbow Dash: Gesundheit.
- Green Hill Zone: Unlike in the original game, only the Trope Namer's used.
- Planet Wisp is also used, but is not the main focus of the Sonic Colors section like in the original game.
- Hammer Space: Referenced in passing, but also might explain how it works: stick object in quills/tail/mane/what-have-you, and done.
- Hey, That's My Line!:Dr. Eggman: We'll see who has issues after I've taken care of both Sonic and the Spirits of Harmony… FOREVER!
Pinkie Pie: HEY! That's my line!
- Hub Level/Hub City: Ponyville is stuck in the White Void in this story. AS it progresses, more of it appears and is subsequently restored. Apploosa, Cloudsdale, and the village part of the Chun-Nan/Dragon Road chapters also might qualify. The portal to the Final Boss is located in Canterlot, with a puzzle like in the games, but using the pedestals from the Gaia Temples in Unleashed.
- Interspecies Romance: Between a pony (Twilight Sparkle) and a hedgehog (Sonic). Sonic claims they're Just Friends, though — that, and Princess Cadance saw no signs of love between the two of them.
- I Will Show You X:Shadow: I won't have to chase you down like the coward you are.
Queen Chrysalis: COWARD?! I'll show you who's a coward!
- Lampshade Hanging: Pinkie Pie. 'Nuff said
- Let's Duet: Sonic and Twilight sing Crush 40's "Live Life" together in chapter 13. Tails and Trixie also sing a couple of lines.
- Let's Split Up, Gang: The group does this sometimes when searching for a portal in a specific location.
- Loads and Loads of Characters: This story features a lot of Sonic characters (moreso than the original game) and plenty of ponies, including background ones, get some time in the sun.
- Mythology Gag: When battling the Egg Wyvern, Sonic teases Eggman by using his taunt lines from Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain: The power of the Chaos Emeralds was able to prevent the discording from being successful, and if anything, Discord and Eggman's attempt to destroy it only strengthened the friendship that the Mane 6 have! And naturally, they don't understand why that happened!
- No Indoor Voice: Princess Luna, obviously. "WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING?!"
- Offscreen Moment of Awesome: During the trip to Canterlot, the train passes through the Arabian Nights and Camelot and actually stops for Rainbow Dash, Spitfire, and Soarin to race (and win against) Lightning Dust and the Babylon Rogues.
- Word of God assures us that we will get actual chapters of these events, however.
- Overused Running Gag: Espio has clearly had enough of Vector telling the group to "find the computer room" or something similar:Tails: We should be right under the control room.
Vector: Right under the computer room?
Espio: Vector, if you say that one more time…
Vector: What? I'm just asking a question!
- The Overworld: Ponyville. It's not exactly "neutral", though, as that's where the changeling battle in chapter 13 occurred.
- Painting the Medium: There are links to music (well, the URLs are listed, anyway) at the end of the chapter to be used as events in the story. It's not quite as effective as it is in Ace Combat The Equestrian War or Chaotic Harmony, though.
- This could have something to do with the story being hosted on Fanfiction.Net, which does not allow links to be placed in stories, while the other stories are hosted on FIMFiction.net, which does.
- The version of the fanfic found on FIMFiction.net fixes this problem by having the actual links to the songs show up exactly where they are supposed to be played, as opposed to the version of the fanfic found on Fanfiction.Net that simply lists the links at the end of the chapter.
- Parrot Expo-what?:Sonic: Who’s Discord? That snake-looking thing up there?
Twilight: That’s right, Sonic. Discord is a draconequus.
Sonic: A what?
- The Password is Always "Swordfish": This is initially subverted in chapter 14, when accessing Eggman's system, which requires a password. Tails suggests "EGGMAN", which doesn't work. This is then Double Subverted with the password actually being "PASSWORD".Spike: He must've been going for 'so obvious it's overlooked'.
Rainbow Dash: Yeah, I can imagine.
- Plot Coupon: There are 13: the 7 Chaos Emeralds and the 6 Elements of Harmony. One of each even gets Taken for Granite, but like the Pure Hearts in Super Paper Mario, they still work after returning to normal.
- Power Gives You Wings: Twilight's Super form has shard wings.
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis!: "I. SAID. OPEN. THIS. DOOR!"
- Also from chapter 18: "STAY… FOR… THE… PARTY."
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Eggman calls out the rest of the Mane 6 for their refusal to trust Twilight in the past, even managing to completely break Princess Celestia by calling her out for treating Twilight as a tool for using the Elements.Dr. Eggman: Stop. Just stop right there, Celestia. You've embarrassed yourself enough. I let you speak because I was willing to give you a chance to prove me wrong about your relationship with Twilight, but you've done nothing but disappoint me! You haven't told me anything I don't already know, and you clearly can't take a bone when it's thrown at you... why do you hardly ever see her on your own time anymore? Why does your faith in her seem to be off and on? Why can't you just be open with her? Because you image is more important than anything you care about?! If you do care about her, Celestia, you have a funny way of showing it... you still think that, despite everything, you and Twilight share something special? I believe you had some good words of wisdom for this kind of situation. How did they go again? Oh yes, I remember: You have a lot to think about.Dr. Eggman: Oh, shut up! Don’t embarrass yourself the way Celestia did! Hang on to whatever dignity you have, you pathetic excuse for an intelligent being! You gave Twilight some minor comfort, yes, but it’s meaningless when you consider that, whenever one of you does something, she’s often there to comfort you and you can’t return the favor! Like the friendship report incident. When all was said and done, it was out of sight, out of mind. Just like with the whole time travel loop. After all, it’s Past Twilight’s problem, isn’t it, Pinkie Pie? And of course, her brother’s wedding. You think you can ignore what your decision to not trust Twilight could have led to after it was over and the problem and everything associated with it will go away, just like that? Well, get a load of THIS, ponies: it doesn’t work that way!
- The kicker? He's not even halfway done with his speech at this point. He then rips into Shining Armor, pointing out that as much as Shining wanted to deny it, what he said to Twilight the night of the rehearsal was completely his own doing and had nothing to do with Chrysalis's brainwashing.
- The Reveal: In Chapter 16, it is revealed that Discord was posing as Nightmare Moon, the Shadowbolts, and Mephiles the Dark the entire time.
- Rhetorical Question Blunder: Rainbow Dash asks a question she doesn't want an answer to; she notices Pinkie Pie is about to answer said question and quickly states she wasn't looking for an answer.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: Princess Celestia and Princess Luna actually do some fighting at several points in the story. Shining Armor also counts, since one of the guards refers to him as a prince and he does take place in the action.
- Sequel Hook: Tails gives Twilight the Warp Ring the group's been using throughout the whole adventure, claiming that it could serve as a memento of their adventure. Sonic then claims that Twilight's magic could probably "find a way to turn it into a trans-dimensional portal or something."
- She Is Not My Girlfriend: When Spike claims Amy is Sonic's girlfriend, Sonic quickly places his hands on his hips, telling him she is not (even though Amy thinks otherwise).
- And when Gilda claims Sonic is Rainbow Dash's boyfriend, Rainbow Dash quickly retaliates.
- Cadance and Shining Armor thought Sonic and Twilight were going to have a relationship, but it gets shot down when the two in question point out they're just friends, and that's final.
- Shout-Out: There's a separate page for that.
- Shown Their Work: GreenSonic21 has clearly done plenty of research on not only pretty much all of the Sonic games, but also the Sonic cartoons and comic books, and it clearly shows. He's even referenced events from the FiM comic books into the story.
- Spoiler Title: Averted. Chapter 13 is listed with a ? in place of Trixie's name, hiding her presence in the chapter.
- Twitchy Eye: When Spike pushes Amy's Berserk Button and leaves Sweet Apple Acres, one of Amy's eyes twitch as she follows the baby dragon.
- Unexpected Character: Where did Babs come from?
- As a matter of fact, where did half of the ponies come from? They weren't with the rest in chapter 1.
- Villain Has a Point: Eggman is an evil man, but his "Reason You Suck" Speech to the Mane 6, Celestia, and Shining Armor about how they've treated Twilight as a tool, and have ignored her feelings is pretty dead on, especially since neither of them could really argue with it (and he brings up events from the fanfic itself where the characters do exactly that).
- Wins by Doing Absolutely Nothing: The Trope Namer is referenced in chapter 7 of Adventures on the Friendship Express:Rarity: So we're all taking part in this?Sonic: Seems that way. Unless you want to hope you'll win by doing absolutely nothing?
- You Are Not Alone: Like in the original game, everybody (and everypony) shows up to help Sonic and the Mane 6 during the final boss battle. And it's more than twice the amount of characters than in the original game.
- You Monster!: Cadance says this to Dr. Eggman after he crushes Sonic and the girls with the Time Eater.