Christopher B. Candito
(1972-2005) was an American Professional Wrestler
from Spring Lake, New Jersey
under the name Chris Candido
. He started his career as a teenager, training under his grandfather Chuck "Popeye" Richards, working for "Pretty Boy" Larry Sharpe
's World Wrestling Association in New Jersey, It was during this time that he met and fell in love with Tammy Lynn Sytch, who would be both his onscreen valet/manager and Real Life
girlfriend and later wife. Candido first got noticed while wrestling in NWA Eastern Championship Wrestling
as a member of the Tag Team
the Suicide Blondes, who would have two runs with the NWA ECW Tag Team Titles
until Candido left the promotion. He then turned up in Jim Cornette
, which is where Sytch, under the name "Tammy Fytch", made her television debut. Candido would go on to hold every title in SMW and also won the NWA World Heavyweight Title
that was vacated after Shane Douglas
had won it and thrown it down and proclaimed himself to be the ECW World Heavyweight Champion
. In 1995, Candido and Sytch arrived in WWE
as the Bodydonnas, Skip and Sunny
, doing an evil fitness trainers gimmick
. Sunny would lead Skip and Zip (Dr. Tom Prichard) to the WWE World Tag Team Titles
in 1996 before the team broke up in the fall and Candido returned to ECW. While there, he and Lance Storm
would win a Three-Way-Dance
for the ECW World Tag Team Titles over the Champs Doug Furnas and Phil LaFon and Balls Mahoney
and Axl Rotten. After losing the belts to Sabu
and Rob Van Dam
, Candido and Storm would feud into late 1998 until personal issues led to Candido taking time off. He would have a feud with Taz
in 1999 before he and Sytch, who had departed WWE in June 1998
, left for the independents. They would spend a few months in WCW
, where Candido would win the WCW World Cruiserweight Title
in Spring 2000, before leaving. He eventually turned up in TNA
in 2005. Sadly, just when it seemed like he finally had his life on the right track, he would suffer ultimately fatal injuries in a cage match at the TNA Lockdown
PPV, and complications from the surgery led to his death on April 28th.
As usual, you can find the basics about his life and career at The Other Wiki
"These are No Gimmick Needed Tropes":
- Arch-Enemy: (in ECW): The Super Destroyers, Taz, Lance Storm, Rob Van Dam, Sabu; (in SMW): Tim Horner, Bobby Blaze, Cactus Jack; (in WWE): Barry Horowitz, who got a brief Day in the Limelight in Summer 1995 by ending Skip's undefeated streak, the Godwinns, the Smokin Gunns
- Bash Brothers: With Dr. Tom Prichard, Brian Lee, Lance Storm, Shane Douglas, Bam Bam Bigelow
- Blond Guys Are Evil: He was a heel for the majority of his career.
- Breakup Breakout: From the Suicide Blondes
- Costume Copycat: Of Terry Funk in WCW.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: He and Shane Douglas kicked Triple Threat prospect Storm out of the group, with Bigelow turning on Taz to rejoin it, because Candido claimed that Storm was trying to impress Tammy. This led to the Dream Partners Match at ECW Living Dangerously 98. The Triple Threat (Douglas/Candido/Bigelow, w/Francine) were cutting promos running down Storm, Taz and Al Snow, in re a clip of Snow buried up to his neck at a beach talking to Head, when Candido momentarily walked off camera and came back ranting into a cell phone saying something about finding a partner, with Chris Benoit (who, in 1995, had been part of the original Triple Threat with Douglas and Dean Malenko) being mentioned in there, and his stablemates and Joey Styles looked both concerned and confused.
- Downer Ending: His death at 33.
- And he had finally gotten ahold of his life and was turning it around and was getting praise and working his butt off in TNA to help the company and being a mentor to the younger wrestlers on there as well makes it all sadder.
- Expy: Mike Bucci's evil infomercial fitness guru gimmick Simon Dean drew comparisons to the Bodydonnas.
- Finishing Move: Blonde Bombshell (top rope powerbomb), Superplex, Diving Headbutt.
- High School Sweethearts: With Tammy Lynn Sytch.
- Hot-Blooded: Seriously, go back to any of his promos.
- In Memoriam: On December 6, 2008, IWA Mid-South held a tag team tournament called the Candido Cup 2008.
- Large Ham: Again, look at his promos.
- Mean Character, Nice Actor: Despite being a heel for most of his career, most people who talk about Candido reflect on what a decent guy he was.
- Odd Friendship: With New Jack, of all people. Jack acknowledged it during his online feud with Tammy.
- Perfectly Cromulent Word: Bodydonna. No definition seems to exist other than that it was the name of a tag team.
- Popularity Power: As an example of how the ECW fans did appreciate good wrestling, they would cheer for him even though he was a Heel and aligned with Shane Douglas as part of the Triple Threat.
- Power Stable:
- The Triple Threat
- (in WCW): The New Blood
- (in the LCW promotion in Texas): The International Playaz Club
- (in TNA): Planet Jarrett
- Real Song Theme Tune:
- The Suicide Blondes used INXS's "Suicide Blonde," of course, and Candido also used it in SMW.
- He later used Extreme's "Get the Funk Out" in SMW
- During his second run in ECW, he used AC/DC's "Back in Black"
- Red Baron: "Suicide Blonde," "No Gimmicks Needed"; (in WCW): "Hard Knocks"
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The Red Oni to Lance Storm's Blue Oni.
- Tag Team:
- The Suicide Blondes
- The Bodydonnas
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: After Douglas and Candido kicked Storm out of the Triple Threat, while Candido and Storm were still Tag Team Champions, the storyline was that, as long as they had the belts, they had to cooperate or they'd be fired.
- Tempting Fate: Was supposed to have faced Storm at ECW's first PPV, ECW Barely Legal, April 13, 1997, but he had suffered a broken arm, leading to Rob Van Dam being plugged into Candido's spot. Before the match, Candido went off on a rant about how he had been on the first ECW show at the ECW Arena, how a year earlier he had been at WrestleMania XII winning the WWF World Tag Team Titles, and how he came back to ECW and they had gone Extreme and were nationwide and on PPV and he was part of the show, "or, so I thought." He then talked about how he wasn't on the poster (which emphasized the Taz vs. Sabu match), saying that he hopes they tear each other part. He then went off on the Sandman, who was in the semi main, facing Terry Funk and Big Stevie Cool (Stevie Richards) in a Three Way Dance where the winner would get to challenge Raven for the ECW World Heavyweight Title in the main event. Candido called out the Sandman, except he had two objections, saying he was "allergic to cigarette smoke," and that the Sandman carries around a Singapore Cane, "Well, Singapore's a big pussy country, if you've got a Jersey cane, why don't you hit me with that?" It's this trope instead of the usual Bullying a Dragon/Too Dumb to Live since, although Sandman was in the building at the time, he did not come out and attack Candido here.
- Wrestling Family: His grandfather Chuck "Popeye" Richards and his brother Johnny Candido