(b. 1963 in Minneapolis, MN
) is a retired American Professional Wrestler
best known for his work in ECW
from 1997 until the promotion closed in 2001. He debuted in 1988 and worked in various independents in the Midwest and as a TV Jobber
. He first got noticed for his series with The Lightning Kid
in the Dallas
-based Global Wrestling Federation. WCW
picked him up in 1995 as a masked jobber named "Mr. JL." While he was not pushed, he did get to make his PPV debut in a loss to Sabu
at WCW Halloween Havoc 95.
He debuted in ECW in September 1997 and went right into a feud with the debuting Justin Credible. His most high-profile work in ECW was his series with ECW World Heavyweight Champion Rob Van Dam
in 1999. While he never defeated Van Dam for that title, he did
defeat Credible for the ECW World Heavyweight Title at ECW Anarchy Rulz 2000
. After ECW closed, WWE brought him in and he debuted by defeating Crash Holly for the WWF World Light Heavyweight Title
. He lost the title to Jeff Hardy
a little over a month later and WWE released him in February 2002. He would go on to TNA
, where he would be one of the early stars of the X-Division. He has also competed for New Japan Pro Wrestling
, Ring of Honor
and many independent promotions.
As usual, you can find the basics at The Other Wiki
"New F'n Tropes":
- Arch-Enemy: The Lightning Kid, Justin Credible, Rob Van Dam.
- Ascended Extra: From a TV jobber to a World Champion in ECW and ROH.
- Bash Brothers: Tommy Dreamer, (in MLW): Mikey Whipwreck, Christopher Daniels (in TNA): AJ Styles, Chris Sabin, the Amazing Red (in ROH): Delirious, Daizee Haze.
- Blond Guys Are Evil: As a heel.
- Cool Old Guy: Was 39 when he joined TNA and wrestled for the company into his mid 40s.
- Couldn't Find a Pen: During his match with Steve Corino at ECW Heatwave 2000, he used Corino's blood as war paint and scrawled the word "DIE" on his own stomach in Corino's blood.
- Demoted to Extra: Became a road agent after an accident.
- Dull Surprise: Austin Aries claimed he was not entertaining and dry when it came to cutting promos anyway.
- Face-Heel Turn: In MLW. After losing some matches, he joined forces with Whipwreck and Daniels under the leadership of the Sinister Minister.
- Fail O'Suckyname: "Mr. JL"
- Finishing Move: Cradle Piledriver, Tornado DDT.
- Masked Luchador: Mr. JL
- Named by Democracy: The ECW fans started calling him "The New F'n Show" during his feud with RVD. Eventually, this was acknowledged.
- No Sell: Mr. JL and his opponents WCW in order to get in more moves as their match time continually shrank and was further detracted from with cuts to "the back".
- Passing the Torch: To Mike Bennett in Ring Of Honor
- Real Song Theme Tune:
- (in ECW): an instrumental version of Megadeth's "Trust"
- Fear Factory's "Replica" and "Scapegoat" (he also used the latter in ROH and IWA Mid-South)
- Coal Chamber's "El Cu Cuy"
- (in ROH): Dividing Light's "A Test of Faith."
- Red Baron: Came into ECW as "Dynamic" Jerry Lynn.
- Summon Bigger Fish: In the United Wrestling Federation, Austin Starr had Christy Hemme in his corner. So Jerry Lynn teamed up with Hemme's mentor, Lita.
- The Rival
- Would Hit a Girl
- He gave Trinity, Kid Kash's manager, a cradle pile driver while in Gateway Championship Wrestling
- Jim Cornette prevented him and Eric Young from demonstrating this on Traci Brooks with a folding chair.
- Maria interfering at ROH Final Battle 2012, which really was going to be one of his last matches ever. Yeah, she got a DDT.