Student and Master Team
"Always two there are, no more, no less - a master and an apprentice"A variant of Odd Couple featuring an older veteran character, and a younger novice. Often the former is a Retired Badass who is somehow rendered powerless (or just helpless against current threats) and has to rely on a newbie, who happened to be around and accidentally shows a lot of promise, so he tutors him. Perfect setup for Red Oni, Blue Oni - the Hot-Blooded younger character is kept in check by their Older and Wiser Mentor. If they're cops, this is Old Cop, Young Cop. If they're father and son, see Badass Family. If they happen to be a gay male couple, see Lover and Beloved, and if heterosexual, see Mentor Ship. With magic users, see Merlin and Nimue. See also Sempai/Kohai. Master-Apprentice Chain is when this trope is recursed over several generations.
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- The first season of Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, with Yuuno getting injured and going ferret mode to recuperate, requiring him to rely on the then ordinary elementary school student Nanoha. Except that Nanoha completely overshadows him in a few eps.
- The StarS and Lightning Teams in StrikerS consisted of two experienced instructors and two students. However, Vita is the only instructor to help the students during the missions, and Nanoha and Fate end up situations where they are rescued by their students in the Grand Finale.
- In Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha Vi Vid, "Riot Force 6 Instructor (Nanoha) and Student (Erio) vs. Fate".
- Robin Mask and his disciple Warsman form the Choujin Master/Student Combo in Kinnikuman's Dream Tag Team Touranment arc. Though the two are on more equal footing than most examples.
- Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple: When ever Kenichi gets thrown into one of these with any of his masters (and it happens a lot), it's not because he's needed, its because the masters want to train him by having him fight their opponents' disciple.
- Puella Magi Madoka Magica: Across its various spin-offs and timelines Mami has been the master to three different students: Kyouko, Sayaka in A Different Story and Madoka in the main series' original timeline. She taught each one the basics of Magical Girl life and fought alongside them against witches.
- Both the Jedi and the Sith in Star Wars tend to work in teams like this such as Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan, Obi-Wan/Anakin, Obi-Wan/Luke, Sidious/Maul and Sidious/Vader.
- That's what happens with Aahz (who is Brought Down to Normal mage) and Skeeve (who learns magic from him) in Myth Adventures by Robert Asprin.
- Amara (student) and Fidelias (master), at least at the start of Codex Alera.
- Ding Chavez (student) and John Clark (master) from the Jack Ryan novels. They've worked together for so long that it is unthinkable for either of them to go into the field without the other.
Live Action TV
- Doctor Who: The Doctor and his companions, although less so with the reboot's tendency for younger (-looking) Doctors. Also, there's never any suggestion of them filling his shoes, for obvious reasons.
- With a few almost exceptions - Romana leaves to serve a similar role in another universe, while the never completed plot arcs may have had Ace eventually becoming a Time Lord. Sarah Jane also gained a similar role in her own spin-off, complete with apprentices of her own.
- A staple of Highlander, where veteran immortals would train newborns.
- The MST3K episodes "Master Ninja" and "Master Ninja II" feature a team like this, in the form of Lee Van Cleef and Timothy Van Patten, as does "The Master," the TV show from which the movies were hastily spliced.
- Power Rangers sometimes uses a team version, where the Mentor suits up and takes the field with his students as a Sixth Ranger. Mentors that have done this include Dr. Tommy Oliver, Commander Cruger, Daggeron (and Udonna and Leanbow on occasion), and RJ.
- Buffy and Giles in Buffy the Vampire Slayer, the television adaptation of the film mentioned above. The job of a Watcher is to train and look after The Slayer, though the Watcher doesn't always engage in combat.
- While not a particularly noteworthy tag team, The Great Muta and Akebono are such legends that the fact one was trained by the other and they have teamed together makes them worth mentioning.
- Fresh and Master, a tag team who wrestled for International Championship Wrestling in the English loving Quebec Canada area.
- Ultimo Dragon teamed on and off with his mentor, El Gran Hamada, for twenty four years.
- Navajo Warrior and his trainee Shooting Wolf, the Ultimate Pro Wrestling tag team known as Native Blood. Shooting Wolf later shed his master's likeness and became Hawaiian Lion, but they still acted as a tag team, now going by The Native Warriors in Impact Zone Wrestling and NWA Pro.
- Homicide with several of his trainees, such as The Hit Squad (Dan Maff and Mosta Mack) in Jersey All Pro Wrestling, Low Ki and Julius Smokes in The Rottweilers.
- Ace Steel with his student CM Punk in the Second City Saints. Punk has also teamed with Danny Dominion, his other trainer, less frequently.
- Master: Shelton Benjamin, Student: Brock Lesnar. The Minnesota Stretching Crew.
- MsChif added her two Nightbreed proteges, Jackal and Cabal to Diabolic Kaos to turn it from a tag team to a Power Stable.
- Delirious whenever he teamed up with Daizee Haze, whom he had a personal hand training with Kid Kash or Leech Landa, whom he was one of the trainers of in the ROH Wrestling School.
- The Elite Canadian Championship Wrestling and All Pro tag team "Girls Gone Wrestling" made up of Cheerleader Melissa (master) and Tiffany (student).note
- The Dirty Rotten Scoundrel William Regal and his simple minded savant Morality Pet Eugene on Monday Night Raw.
- Chris Hero and his student Claudio Castagnoli have frequently teamed as the "Kings Of Wrestling" and are the group's two most consistent members. Another student of Hero's who has teamed with him is Nadia Nyce, whom he aided against one of her other trainers, Dave Prazak.
- Alex Koslov is a student of Rocky Romero, who is also his partner, them being the first team to hold IWGP and ROH gold at once, Forever Hooligans!
- Sheamus O'Shaunessy and his loyal if unpredictable student, Mad Man Manson in Irish Whip Wrestling.
- Christina Von Eerie student of and backup to Big Ugly in the Northwest Wrestling Alliance.
- The Australian Pink Ladies, Jessie McKay and Madison Eagles, after a year long student-teacher feud.
- The Pantheon Of Gods featured master, the greatest manager who ever lived, Austin Aries and student Rhett Titus. Oh, Kenny King was a member too.
- Two thirds of Trouble 2 Maker, Yoshiko and her teacher Natsuki*Taiyo. The third wheel, Act Yasukawa, ended up turning on them.
- Advanced V.G. II: Invoked near the end of the game's story mode, when Yuka finally accepts Tamao as her student and teams up with her to face the Material Twins and Miranda Jahana.
- The King of Fighters has two such teams on its roster: The Kyokugen Team, which consists of Takuma Sakazaki, who's the team's patriarch and founder of their school, along with his son/heir (Ryo), his daughter (Yuri), and his other student, Robert Garcia. The other is the Psycho Soldier Team, which has Chin and his two students, Athena Asamiya and Sei Kensou.
- In Star Wars: The Old Republic, if you play as either a Jedi or a Sith (regardless of the class), one of your companions will be your apprentice. Sith Inquisitors get two of them: the Light Side-leaning Ashara and the very Dark-Sided Xalek.
- In Suikoden, the hero's mentor is one of the Loads and Loads of Characters you can recruit. They can even do a Combination Attack called "Master-Pupil Attack", where they beat up every enemy on screen together.
- Disgaea has an entire mechanic where characters can serve as mentors to other characters they were used to create with useful advantages for both (for example masters can use the skills of any apprentices that are nearby).
- League of Legends has a few potential team-ups:
- Master Yi (master) and Wukong (student). This pair is terrifying for the enemy team, as Wukong is able to create picture-perfect setups for Master Yi, and both champs have a great deal of Magikarp Power.
- Aatrox and Tryndamere are a twisted version of this, though Aatrox considers Tryndamere a work of art more than a student.
- Singed was the apprentice of Warwick in the past, though whether this still holds true after Retcons is anyone's guess.
- Batman Beyond: Years after Bruce's retirement, he meets Terry, who he trains to become the new Batman.
- Zuko and Iroh from Avatar The Last Airbender, also counts as Badass Family.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars has Anakin/Ahsoka on the good side, and Darth Maul/Savage Opress on the evil side.