Fan Fic: Fantasy Of Utter Ridiculousness
"You want to surpass an oni? You're interested in a fight? Fine with me. Let's you and me fight."Fantasy of Utter Ridiculousness is a Megas XLR / Touhou Project crossover Fan Fic written during May 2012 by Curtis Wildcat. The story can be found here. Six chapters and an Alternate Ending have been posted, and a message from the author has been posted implying that he still has some work on the story to do.While Coop is putting the moon back together during the aftermath of the Glorft's failed attempt to crash it into the Earth, Megas is attacked by a Lunarian mech. During the fight that follows, an attempt is made by the Watatsuki sisters to warp them directly into the Lunar Capital, all the better to sate the Earthlings' curiosity about the previously-unknown inhabitants. Instead Megas, with Coop and his friends inside, are sent to Gensokyo when the teleportation technology malfunctions.For a land that just got done facing off against the worst weather in its history, the perpetrator of that disaster surely can't be what they need...
Fantasy of Utter Ridiculousness contains examples of the following tropes:
- Arbitrary Skepticism: Averted with Jamie, who points out that they ride around in a stolen robot from the future to fight space squids (also from the future) on a fairly regular basis, also bringing up some of their more outlandish adventures as well, as reasons why they shouldn't dismiss the existence of magic.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking:Jamie: So, who else are we going to meet today? Living phantoms? Talking cats? Tofu enthusiasts?
- Artistic License – Engineering: Lampshaded with Megas's Plot Sensitive Button when it reads "Technology does not work this way", just before Coop fires a reverse MIRV at Suika.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: The giant fairies.
- It's a crossover with Megas XLR. Does anything more really need to be said?
- Big Damn Heroes: Marisa is able to accomplish this, although she isn't aware of it.
- In Chapter 4, Alice is preparing for the unsavory task of dodging attacks from three giant fairies, whose danmaku have become massive to match. Cue the sun, literally, as the investigative Patchouli drops her Royal Flare spell card on their heads.
- Big "NO!": Patchouli's reaction when she discovers that most of the Mansion's library was destroyed in the Alternate Ending.
- Cool Versus Awesome: Megas. Versus. Suika. The author has even gone on record as saying this matchup is the main reason why he wrote the story in the first place.
- Credits Gag: The explanations in the Author's Notes are separated by one-paragraph depictions of events taking place during later visits to Gensokyo, mimicking the style used throughout Megas XLR's run.
- Culture Blind: Alice realizes this about Coop when he, as a visitor, gave her something to drink instead of the other way around.
- Deconstruction Fic: One common plot in Touhou fanfiction involves one or more characters being dropped into Gensokyo and adjusting to life there, usually because of Yukari (or in this story, because of the Lunarians). The problem here arises when its Coop and the others, with Megas in tow, that are warped on in; by the time the battles run their course, Reimu and Yukari are both in agreement that they do not belong.
- Destructive Savior: The Lunarians thank Coop (albeit not in person) for getting rid of the Glorft base in the Moon, but they deemed him so dangerous that they decided to put him down. Then again, this pretty much is Coop's MO...
- Didn't See That Coming: Yukari admits as much after witnessing the lunar explosion, and is later sidelined when Megas makes its sudden arrival in Gensokyo.
- Dope Slap: In the credits, Koakuma does this to Jamie, so that he stops hitting on Patchouli.
- Fear of Thunder: Flandre, of all people. The weather patterns caused by the lunar explosion were long-lasting and intense enough that she was scared sane.
- Fish out of Water: Patchouli's fate in the Alternate Ending. May also be a case of temporal water as well, given the difference in the settings.
- Foreshadowing: Throughout the story, a trapped Marisa can be seen struggling to grab her mini-hakkero that's just this... much... out of reach. No guesses for what happens when she finally reaches it.
- Genre Savvy: When Coop announces that if they leave now, they'll be able to catch a program he's wanted to watch, Jamie points out that it's more likely that they'll run into something they could have avoided if they left earlier. Sure enough, cue the Lunar Defense Corps...
- Golem: Megas is mistaken for one by Alice and the residents of the SDM.
- Half-Human Hybrid: At one point, Jamie announces to Patchouli and Kiva that one of his ancestors was a Youkai... before immediately turning this around by saying that he was just messing with them.
- I Know Mortal Kombat: Since it comes off as one big game, Coop is able to get the hang of Spell Card-based combat rather quickly.
- Kill It with Ice: Megas's frost sword. Fittingly, it's powered by a Strawberry Mega Slush.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: The characters notice that there is music in the background of each battle.
- At the end of the story, Jamie points out something else out of place: everyone in Gensokyo, situated in Japan, was speaking perfect English.
- Let's You and Me Fight: Suika says this when she thinks Coop is deliberately withholding her prized gourd from her. One of the giant fairies Megas was fighting was responsible, albeit accidentally.
- Magitek: In the Alternate Ending, Coop combines Patchouli's "Philosopher's Stone" card with Megas's systems. The resulting multi-element attack finishes off Suika and demolishes most of the Scarlet Devil Mansion's library in one go.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Destruction visited upon the Forest of Magic? Marisa trapped in her own house? The giant fairies, and the subsequent showdown with Suika? Yukari, who could've prevented it all at the outset, getting decked on accident when Megas first arrives? Just another day in the life of Coop.
- The Lunarians admit that they had no idea what the Glorft were planning and were mostly hiding from them, but that if MEGAS (and her crew) hadn't been there, they probably would have stayed hidden until the Glorft would have gone away... meaning that both the Lunarians and the Earth would have been destroyed. They give this realization to themselves and resolve to be more decisive next time.
- Ship Tease: Jamie and Patchouli.
- Commentary from Yukari during the prologue implies that Road Rovers took place in the same universe.
- Part of Flandre's panicked ranting in Chapter Two suggests that she has seen Danny Kaye's The Inspector General.
- Yukari dreams of The Far Side. "No, Mister Larson, I'm not afraid of ducks watching me..."
- Z, a show discussed later by Coop and Jamie, is meant to be an in-universe take on V.
- Coop at one point says "Trust me. I know what I'm doing" before attempting to use a sledgehammer against Suika. Patchouli even notes that she doesn't feel that confident in his tactics.
- When chewing out Remilia in the final chapter, Patchouli directly quotes Mr T.
- Jamie comments to Yukari that pitting her against R.E.G.I.S. would be like pitting a bazooka against a soccer ball. You can tell that she's getting ideas about that.
- Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny: See Cool Versus Awesome above.
- Victimized Bystander: Pop TV memorabilia and the Three Mischevious Fairies don't mix.
- Water Wake-up: The inquisitive fairy maid tasked with waiting on Yukari at the SDM doesn't seem to realize that a pitcher of water is not how you're supposed to wake sleeping people up. A minute after doing this, the frightened fairy is forced to flee from the "scary eyeball gap lady's" wrath.