Faced with an impassable obstacle, such as a body of water, characters create improvised platforms in order to transverse safely.
The ability to create platforms to cross wide gaps is a common Power-Up
in platformers/action-adventure games. A Barrier Warrior
can use his/her powers to make these.
See also Stepping Stones in the Sky
and Lily Pad Platform
. May overlap with Bridge Logic
Anime and Manga
- In the Mabinogion, the giant Bendigeidfran lets his men use him as a bridge. A fo ben, bid bont ("He who would be a head, let him be a bridge")!
- BIONICLE: Kopaka uses his ice Elemental Powers to create a pillar of ice for him and Matoro to land on after being ambushed near a cliff by a Nui-Rama.
- Donkey Kong Country 3: one level requires the Kongs to throw barrels in the water as platforms, since the water is occupied by a Nibbla.
- Squitter, one of the animal companions in Donkey Kong Country 2 and 3, lets you create platforms out of webs.
- One of the brush techniques in Ōkami creates lily pads on water for you to stand on.
- Super Mario Galaxy 2 has the Cloud Cap which makes clouds under Mario.
- Several of the Mega Man games have a power that lets you summon up to three platforms.
- The first game had a weapon that allowed you to fire a temporary platform from his arm cannon, and was necessary to complete the game.
- Mega Man 2 had the "1", "2", and "3" devices, which created platforms of various types: "1" were platforms that floated up in midair, "2" was a platform that traveled horizontally, and "3" climbed against walls.
- Later games featured Mega Man's canine sidekick Rush, whose "Rush Jet" functioned as a moving, midair platform. Rush also gained Spring and Marine versions.
- Mega Man 5 had the "Super Arrow", which stuck to walls and could be used as temporary platforms.
- Mega Man 9 had the "Concrete Shot", which upon impact created a temporary block to stand on.
- In Mega Man Powered Up, when playing as Ice Man, his Ice Slasher turns enemies into blocks of ice that can be stepped on.
- In the first Mega Man X game, it was Ice Shot, when charged to full.
- X2 had Crystal Hunter, which trapped weaker enemies in crystal blocks that you could step on.
- A Charged Frost Spear in X3, but only when in the water (it becomes a large ice block underwater).
- Lightning Web from X4 creates an improvised wall to Wall Jump on.
- Ice Burst from X6 fires out a snowball accompanied by two ice projectiles. X can move the snowball and stand on it.
- Half-Life 2: You can put bits of scrap and other rubbish on the sand to avoid disturbing the Antlions.
- In Scribblenauts, you can write the name of any object you want, such as "dock" or even "floating platform".
- I Wanna Be the Guy: in the second screen, you need to shoot one of the spikes on the wall to knock it over and use it as a platform.
- Also, when fighting Birdo and Zangief, you have to jump on the things they shoot at you to be able to shoot at the boss.
- Metroid: the Ice Beam and Ice Missile are used to make improvised platforms out of things such as enemies.
- From Super Metroid on, the fight against Kraid always features Samus needing to jump on the things Kraid shoots at her in order to reach his face.
- Valkyrie Profile has Lenneth able to use her crystal shots as platforms to get to higher places.
- The ice arrows are used to make platforms on the water in the Great Bay Temple of The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.
- Similarly, Batman: Arkham City introduces the freeze blast, a grenade using Mister Freeze's cryogenic technology to create breakable platforms on the surface of water.
- Battle Engine Aquila lets you land on any surface big enough to hold you, including enemy battleships and aircraft. Ocean levels will require you to do this, since there's nowhere else to land.
- This is one of the many jobs of The Engineer, and the variety of improvised methods available can be truly impressive. Everything from a Rope Bridge (at it's most basic, a rope or cable strung across the gap) to fascines to more sophisticated or specialized methods can be and have been used.