Van Canto (stylized as van Canto) is a metal band from Germany, founded in 2006 and composed of five singers and a drummer. Although the group is often classified as an a cappella
ensemble, because their vocalists pretend to be/act in the stead of other instruments, which is a hallmark of the style, "a cappella
" means "without instruments," so their drummer technically disqualifies themnote
. Let's just say they're half and half
Van Canto fuses a cappella with heavy/power metal, creating what they call "a capella hero metal". While only two of the five singers perform the lead vocals, the other three will instead use their voices to imitate the guitars and the bass, using amplifiers to sound closer to the original instruments.
- Dennis Schunke (Sly) – lead vocals
- Inga Scharf – higher lead vocals
- Stefan Schmidt – lower rakkatakka vocals, wahwah solo guitar vocals
- Ross Thompson – higher rakkatakka vocals
- Ingo Sterzinger (Ike) – lowest dandan vocals
- Bastian Emig – drums
They provide examples of:
- A Storm Is Coming: The title of their first album is A Storm to Come.
- And their 4th album, "Break the Silence", had a bonus track by the same name.
- Cover Version: Including "The Bard's Song" by Blind Guardian, "Stormbringer" by Deep Purple, "Rebellion" by Grave Digger, "Fear of the Dark" by Iron Maiden, "Kings of Metal" by Manowar, "Battery" and "Master of Puppets" by Metallica, "Primo Victoria" by Sabaton, and "Wishmaster" by Nightwish
- Also, they have an Interview where they did a shortened version of The Trooper by Iron Maiden.
- An example that might also qualify under Covered Up: "Black Wings Of Hate" is a song that was originally by Fading Starlight, a band Inga was part of before joining Van Canto. The original version was only released on Fading Starlight's final (and self-released) demo, so most people are completely unaware of the fact that it's not an original track by Van Canto.
- Filk Song: They refer to their music as Hero Metal. Songs like Last Night of the Kings come to mind.
- Heavy Mithril: Some of their music comes closer to this genre such as "Frodo's Dream".
- Heavy Meta: To Sing a Metal Song is about how what their band does is basically what metal fans do when singing along to any other band.. They also covered Kings of Metal (which is specifically about how awesome Manowar is).
- Instrumentals: Inverted. Normally they have drums playing during their songs, but a few of their tracks have no drums at all, Last Night of the Kings for example.
- Letters 2 Numbers: One to Ten features this in the lyrics
- Neoclassical Punk Zydeco Rockabilly: Power Metal+A Cappella (Played on rakkatakkas.)
- Power Metal
- Serial Escalation: well, they can't possibly cover anything surp- Master of Puppets!?
- Shirtless Scene: Bastian.
- The Smurfette Principle/Ms. Fanservice: Inga Scharf, lone female, and has joined the countless other ranks of beautiful and talented female metal singers.
- Song Style Shift: While not as long as some other entries in the category, their song A Storm to Come fits the bill, as it varies in intensity before closing to a fast-paced beat, clocking in at 9 minutes.
- Soprano and Gravel: Dennis and Inga.