open/close all folders
- Really, any Death Battle that is a close call where the (eventual) loser nearly takes the win is a CMoA.
- Sometimes Awesome Moments occur in the actual rundowns of the characters, usually when their ultimate weapons/techniques are analyzed or their greatest feats are listed. For some particularly awesome examples, the rundowns for Doomguy's BFG, Metal Sonic, and Goku's Super Saiyan forms are accompanied by intense music and preceded by dramatic buildup.
Akuma vs Shang Tsung
- Shang Tsung transforms into Akuma and gains the upper hand. He goes for the finishing blow... and Akuma catches him mid strike with the Raging Demon..
Haggar vs Zangief
- Two paragons of Manliness falling off a building at terminal velocity while both perform a spinning piledriver on each other. It ends as a swirling ball of Briefs, Boots, Trousers, and Men impacting the ground.
Vegeta vs Shadow
- Super Vegeta throwing the moon at Super Shadow.
- The fact that the voice actor of Vegeta is the voice of Abridged Vegeta of TFS.
Mario vs Sonic
- Two of the greatest rivals in video game history fighting each other to the death. And it is as every bit as glorious as it sounds. Especially the montage where they start bringing the Final Boss music of Super Mario Galaxy 2.
- Despite losing the battle, you gotta give it to Mario for being able to use the Metal Cap, Starman, and Giant Mushroom to tank Super Sonic.
- "Tank" nothing! Super Sonic could barely even move Mario in his powered-up forms, while Mario was actively knocking Sonic around, all with a carefree look on his face.
Starscream vs Rainbow Dash
Wily vs Eggman
- Probably the highest scale Death Battle in the series history with tens of animated robots attacking each other. And it is awesome!
Peach vs Zelda
- The ending for Zelda vs Peach. The princesses have a projectile war with Peach's turnips and Zelda's fireballs. All of a sudden the Sleepy Time sheep Peach cast earlier lands on Zelda, knocking her out. Peach jumps back, grows wings and kicks Zelda in the face so hard it explodes!
Link vs Cloud
- Animated with 3D graphics rather than sprites, exceptionally close, no way to tell who would win, and possibly the longest battle yet. What's not to like? Except the result, for Cloud fans?
- The final exchange of blows is the crown jewel: Link blocking the Omni Slash by parrying every strike, slashing Cloud on a Single-Stroke Battle, bombing him and finishing with his down-stab Meteor Move from Zelda 2.
- The reason for the outcome? USE STRATEGY, KIDS!
Batman vs Spider-man
Goku vs. Superman
- The reveal. At first, there is darkness. Then, as a familiar voice chants the name of his most famous attack, a peculiar shape is partially shadowed by the glow of energy gathering. When the beam is finally released, the shape is revealed to be the symbol of the world's most famous superhero. This makes Wiz and Boomstick go absolutely wild.
- Much like Shadow vs. Vegeta, they lined up a pair of well-known internet voice actors for the fight, this time being MasakoX of Team Four Star and It'sJustSomeRandomGuy of I'm a Marvel... and I'm a DC.
- Think there was a Schedule Slip? That's because they've been researching everything about these characters, doing their most thorough analysis yet to provide the ultimate, irrefutable, and unquestionable answer to this most ancient of fandom rivalries, with the release date of 12-21-12, just to expound the significance. As of 12/21/12, there has been a Schedule Slip. This is because Lange is taking a while to animate the fight. However, it's thanks to this slip that we are let in on some info about this Death Battle that's never been done in any Death Battle before: Half-hour. That's right, this Death Battle is going to be about 3 or 4 times longer than the average Death Battle!
- The very premise itself. Son Goku, the anime hero and cultural icon of Japan, versus Superman, the superhero and cultural icon of the United States! No way!
- The first thing before the death battle actually begins? The famous "World of Cardboard" Speech itself followed by Superman going all out.
- Superman not being the least impressed at Goku's After Image technique.
- How the battle went from lighthearted and comical to the two heroes having a friendly spar to getting more and more heated by the minute the more serious both became and the soundtrack and animation (dark clouds, the blackness of space) helped set the ambiance. Even Goku's voice darkened after his final transformation.
- Every time Goku transformed beyond the initial Kaio Ken.
- "You think this is a game? I haven't even begun to play..."
- Goku Dragonthrowing Superman.
- Several following Goku going SS4:
- Goku's Beam-O-War with Superman's heat vision bolstered by the soundtrack playing at the time.
- The climactic battle-ending punch of Goku's Dragon Fist VS Superman's Infinite Mass Punch.
- Goku slamming Superman to the ground with his Power Pole and then Superman grabbing said Power Pole and using it to slam Goku (Who was on the other side of the pole) into the ground.
- Both warriors firing energy attacks at each other from near point blank range. By point blank we mean at the face!
- Superman smashing a car onto Goku's head in a Shout-Out to Superman's earliest comic cover.
- Superman powering straight through Goku's Kamehameha and smashing him into the core of the earth.
- And as a meta continuation of the above praise for the episode, consider this: less than twenty-four hours after it was originally posted, the number of Facebook recommendations for Goku vs. Superman (~49,000 as of the 21-hour mark) was higher than all the other episodes of Death Battle combined (~46,426).
- Another meta example for the above, just the sheer amount of research and math they put into determining the limits of their strengths. They've Shown Their Work before, but this took it Up to Eleven.
- The main theme for Goku vs Superman, created by The Blake Robinson Synthetic Orchestra. It really gets everyone who waited so long for this legendary fight all hyped up, and makes the episode seem like an epic movie.
He-Man vs Lion-O
- He-Man lifting an entire mountain to hurl at Lion-O.
- Lion-O retaliates by completely destroying said mountain with a well-placed blast from the Sword of Omens, equally as awesome.
- Also, the fact the fight plays homage to both shows from playing their theme tunes to giving them voice overs and saying quirky 80's one-liners. It felt very much like a dream battle for both fans. Well, the He-Man ones anyway.
- Every time He-Man does something awesome we are treated to his theme "HE-MAN!"
Shao Khan vs M. Bison
Ryu Hayabusa vs Strider Hiryu
- The Single-Stroke Battle near the end. It's a pretty sweet Shout-Out to the original Ninja Gaiden, even though it's Strider's moment of triumph.
- Considering Strider won was there any other way the end of the fight could've been animated other than a Ragnarok finish? I think not.
- Hayabusa uses all of his melee weapons in the fight at some point and Strider counters by destroying everything except the Dragon Sword, with the use of Falchion.
- Strider directs an entire battalion of Option 2 and 3 drones at Ryu, Ryu's response? Effortlessly dice them all into metal chunks before they could so much as even touch him.
Ivy vs Orchid
- Ivy countering Orchid's death flash.
Fox vs Bucky
- While getting your legs blown off in most battles would mean defeat in Death Battle, not so for Fox McCloud. What does he do after becoming Half the Man He Used to Be? Simple. Amp up his jetpack, rocket right into his opponent causing the momentum to dislodge both combatants' jetpacks and sending both fighters to the ground. Upon choking Bucky, Fox whips out his blaster, charges it up and blows his head off.
- Considering that Bucky had killed his closest friend, Slippy Toad, at the start, that was some pretty thorough payback.
Robocop vs Terminator
- The shining moment has to be Robocop's solution to the Terminator's unstable hydrogen cells. He straps him to what's left of his jetpack and watches him rocket off before the big kaboom. Right before the final explosion, Terminator roars, "I'll be Back!"
- Terminator's Defiance to the End really deserves some recognition. Does any other losing Death Battle combatant spend their last moments telling off their opponent?
- Robo's deadpan list of felonies to Terminator whilst setting him ablaze and knocking him off a tall building.
Robocop: "Property damage, Resisting arrest, Assaulting an officer, murder... your hot streak ends here."
Terminator: "Fuck you, dickwad!"
Robocop: "You have the right to remain silent." *kicks T-850 off the building* "I suggest you exercise it."
- "YOU. ARE. TERMINATED." Okay, so it doesn't really work, but man that line is cool and the delivery is so awesome!
- On a meta level, the voice actor for the Terminator does a spot on imitation of Arnold's performance.
- How does Robocop get past the Terminator's gatling gun? He shoots into the barrels of the gatling gun and jams it.
Luigi vs Tails
- Luigi & Tails' brief mid-air cyclone clash.
- Anytime Luigi utilizes his Thunder Hand technique in his moves, which Tails hardly does anything about because he's afraid of lightning.
- Luigi destroying most if not all of Tails' inventions throughout the fight with nothing but his hammer.
- Tails, for a young 11 year old fox, being able to endure all of Luigi's punishing blows.
- In a blink-and-you'll miss moment, Tails attaching a bomb on Luigi's Poltergust while he was dazed. It fails to finish Luigi, but it does destroy the Poltergust and blow Luigi far away, setting things up for Tails to go for the final blow.
- Luigi whipping out a Smash Ball from HIS POCKET to use the Negative Zone, all with a shit-eating grin on his face that says, "Yeah, I'm doing this."
- Tails finishing the fight in a flash with the Magic Hook, plowing through Luigi's chest and the Warp Pipe.
- Tails not even flinching as a cluster of bombs heads straight for him.
Pokemon Kanto Starter Battle Royale
- Venusaur and Charizard's beam struggle turning the forest around them into a wasteland just shows how powerful the two Pokemon are.
- Blastoise's primal roar after finishing off Charizard is nothing short of epic.
- Blastoise ripping off Charizard's wings is a quite the holy shit moment.
- The combatants invoking Battle Amongst the Flames and Battle in the Rain at the same time!
- After Venusaur's death, the last two standing see each other and trigger a Pokemon style scene transition. Especially awesome for those who grew up with Red or Blue.
Fulgore vs Sektor
- Fulgore vs. Sektor did have some pretty awesome moments, like the fact that it's two awesome cyborgs from violent fighting games fighting each other
- There was the lightsaber moves from Sektor followed by an epic combo breaker from Fulgore
- Fulgore stopping Sektor's Compactor fatality and then finishing it up with an Ultra Combo complete with Devastation Beam finisher
- The preview of the next Death Battle showing off Godzilla!!!!
Godzilla vs Gamera
- Two of the most famous Giant Monsters in history finally going head to head!? It's literally the Goku vs Superman in Kaiju and one that people have been waiting for for years.
- The preview shows that it looks set to be the biggest Death Battle to date, both literally and figuratively.
- While the rundown was lost due to Ben's hard-drive dying, we didn't lose the fight animation! It premiered on July 11th at SGC and broadcasted on Twitch for all to enjoy! And there was more tension filled pauses in the fight than you could shake a stick at.
- Heck, the fact that Ben/Wiz and Chad/Boomstick made the episode look awesome even as a short, quickly-made Powerpoint presentation (complete with live, improvised jokes) proves how much dedication the both of them have.
- Remember that hilariously bad Flight scene Godzilla pulled off? Death Battle turned that ability into something awesome, using the Atomic Breath to slow down and redirect Gamera's path and slow down his fall back to Earth from Gamera's attack.
- Godzilla Ripping Gamera's arm clean off The live audience at SGC gave out a huge gasp of the HOLY SHIT! variety when that happened.
- Credit to Gamera for carrying on fighting with all his might, even after that loss.
- Godzilla no-sells Gamera's Mana Cannon, throws Gamera into the air when he tries his Suicide Ejection Technique, and uses the Red Spiral Beam to not only push him far enough that the explosion doesn't hurt him but pierces Gamera's shell.
- Gamera grabbing Godzilla, flying with him out of the earth, then performing a Suplex Finisher from space. As mentioned above, Godzilla managed to escape, but had he been against a less versatile or durable Kaiju, Gamera would have won the fight right there.
- At SGC's Death Battle panel, Ben and Chad said they were thinking of battles where previous combatants return to fight, but we would have to wait and see. That alone would have made fans excited, especially if there favorite character lost. When Godzilla vs. Gamera was finally released on ScrewAttack's site, they changed the next time from being Zechs Merquise vs. Tommy Oliver. Instead, the next fight will have Captain America. Who is his opponent? The Batman, back from the grave after his fight with Spider-Man, another Marvel hero
Batman vs Captain America
- Just the fact that Cap successfully gave Hulk a Groin Attack, even Boomstick is impressed.
- Batman using all of his stealth tactics for the win. He disarms Cap of his shield, lather it with explosive gel, throws it back, and detonate the gel right next to Cap. Next he attacks Cap's pressure points while he's dazed, steals his shield again, uses it to launch Cap into the horizon. He whips out his grappling hook, strangles Cap mid-air with said grappling hook, and finally tethers Cap around a lamppost with said grappling hook with enough force to break his neck. He does all this in one fluid motion.
- Every one of Cap's blows carry a much greater degree of crunch to them than Batman's. He seemed to be pressing the offensive far better than Spider-man did, dominating up close. Unlike Spider-Man, Cap lost
Gundam Epyon vs White Tigerzord
Ryu vs Scorpion
- From a meta-perspective the very notion that Scorpion becomes the first fighter ever to avoid the trivia of "if anyone attacks before the FIGHT! sound clip they lose".
- Following that same perspective, the close-ups of Ryu and Scorpion before they're both brought to the Netherrealm is pretty cool.
- Ryu reduces Scorpion to a skeleton. There's even a slight pause of silence that would indicate that that's the end of it as would normally happen along with the usual KO sound effect. NOPE! Scorpion's skeleton moves and unleashes a massive hellfire attack and reduces Ryu to a pile of ashes.
- The fight, in general, is extremely well animated for a sprite battle, with both Ryu and Scorpion's animations looking very nice. It may be one of the best animated Death Battles, and it's backed up by having A Soul Can't Be Cut playing during some of it!
- Scorpion literally tanks everything in Ryu's arsenal. Even the two super forms didn't make a difference. What makes it work is that he doesn't simply go into No Sell mode - he is literally thrown around like a ragdoll, but keeps getting up and coming after his opponent.
Deadpool vs Deathstroke
Kirby vs Majin Buu
- The whole thing is one for Kirby. There were plenty of fans, even among his own fanbase, who thought he didn't have a prayer of surviving the fight with Majin Buu, yet come the fight proper not only is he holding his own, he's landing some good hits, even killing Buu by the end. Perhaps the greatest example of Badass Adorable and Killer Rabbit in Death Battle history.
- Kid Buu tearing his way out of Kirby's stomach dimension after being eaten, perhaps the first creature who's ever succeeded in such a feat.
- The final moment of the fight, naturally. Kirby completely incinerates Buu by redirecting his strongest attack back at him with the Hypernova and pushing him into the sun. Practically everyone was saying their prayers for the poor little Star Warrior and he actually won. It was like Yoshi vs. Riptor in a much heavier weight class.
- The best part is just how hopeless things looked for Kirby- He was crying and lying in defeat as Buu charged his best attack while looming over him mercilessly... but then the second he turns into Hypernova Kirby and the Hypernova theme begins playing, it becomes pretty clear who's about to win.
- While it is debatable that he might have been running for his life, it almost looks as if Knuckle Joe was running to Kirby and offering his Fighter-ability to fight Kid Buu. If true, it would technically go against Death Battle rules, but it is still awesome to think this was his intention. Especially considering Kirby and Joe are allies in the anime.
- Then when Kirby gains the Fighter-ability, he punches his "fists" together and proceeds to kick Buu's ass, using a shoryureppa and hadoukens, until Buu lands the one mighty hit necessary to take away his ability. Fact of the matter is that Fighter Kirby, master martial artist, managed to keep up with one of the most powerful DBZ characters in hand to hand combat despite the speed disadvantage (Instant Transmissions) is incredible.
Ragna the Bloodedge vs Sol Badguy
- The fight itself until Ragna turns into the Black Beast is the kind of second-to-second action you expect to come from One Minute Melee, except this one lasts more than 60 seconds.
- Sol interrupts—the first time anyway—Ragna attempting to activate the Azure Grimoire. In this battle talking is not a free action. Even better is that Ragna learns from this and traps Sol with his Dead Spike before trying again, successfully now.
- Speaking of which, when Ragna first uses the Azure Grimoire and starts to show Sol why he got that 90,000,000,000 bounty.
- Ragna and Sol pulling out all the stops, unleashing their respective Power-Ups against each other, before Ragna finally manages to get the upper hand, grab a weakened Sol, and run him clean through while holding him up. Especially impressive when you realize that Sol is the strongest character in the Guilty Gear universe, so to be able to overpower him, even if only for a short time, is a feat worthy of itself.
- And then Sol returns the favor, showing he's not down and out just yet.
- The fact that Sol wiped out the Black Beast in one attack. Nobody in BlazBlue has that kind of power. Not to mention the setup to it, with Ragna, now the Black Beast, and Sol, in full-out Gear mode with DragonInstall, going at each other for the final clash of blows. You know, one way or another, it's gonna end awesomely.
Gaara vs Toph Beifong
Samus Aran vs. Boba Fett REMASTERED
- Two words: Light-saber Duel
- After getting the shit beat out of him by Samus, Boba lays a trap and is able to malfunction Samus' suit and force her out of it.
One Minute Melee
- Jin Saotome vs Gambit
- Gambit throws Jin into the wall with several explosive cards.
- Terry Bogard vs Burai Yamamoto:
- The entire fight is very close, with each of them trading combos after combos, but Burai wins, bouncing Terry off the floor again and again before he finally stays down.
- Akuma vs Kenpachi Zaraki:
- The tone is set when Akuma, a pseudo-demon powered by the Surge of Murderous Intent, makes Kenpachi laugh by challenging him to a fight.
- During the fight, Kenpachi leaps, slices Akuma's chest open, and punches him so hard that he sets off a giant shockwave. The normally fragile Akuma still fights on.
- Akuma's Bare-Handed Blade Block and his subsequent disarming of Kenpachi. Kenpachi doesn't even care. He just compliments Akuma and goes back in bare-handed. While it doesn't work out for him, that kind of determination is awesome.
- Akuma ends the battle by launching Kenpachi into the air, whipping him with a Tatsumaki Zankyuyaku, and kicking him so hard that he gets launched into the distance like Team Rocket!
- Captain Falcon vs Captain Commando:
- Falcon gets knocked around by Captain Commando's squadron, but a 5 on 1 situation isn't enough to keep him down.
- Falcon avoids one of Commando's attacks and delivers a devastating Knee of Doom to the face. Commando returns the favor by avoiding the Falcon Punch and pulling off a spirited counterattack.
- At the end, Falcon uses Blue Falcon to run over Commando's team, rams into Commando himself, and outruns the Blue Falcon to finally Falcon Punch Commando into the nearest mountain!
- Batman vs Albert Wesker:
- Kim Kaphwan vs Juri Han:
- The fight ends with Kim kicking Juri so hard that he collapses a giant temple with her as the wrecking ball!
- Zero vs Meta Knight.
- An utterly badass sword duel and the closest melee to date.
- Bowser vs Dr. Eggman
- The video and animation is inspired by the Super Mario Bros. Z series, which is also a bit heartwarming, too, considering that the series is what inspired One Minute Melee in the first place.
- The ending. When Eggman shoots rockets at Bowser, sending him flying away. But Bowser rides the rockets back into Eggman's mech, destroying it and ending the match. Then, to pour more salt in the wound, Bowser dropkicks Eggman away, Super Smash Bros. style. Literally kicking him when he's down.
- While it isn't a Death Battle, it's at least worth noting that this is the first time a Mario character has defeated a Sonic character in one of ScrewAttack's videos.
- Deadpool vs Deathstroke
- The rematch between the two mercenaries, while not on the level of their Death Battle appearance, is still a worthwhile minute of Crazy Awesome moves from both combatants.
- The ending. Deathstroke simultaneously shoots and beats the crap out of Deadpool with his sniper rifle, right before firing a shot that reduces Deadpool to a bunch of assorted limbs and a head, taking the win for himself.
- Dante vs Ragna the Bloodedge
- The beginning implies an Off Screen Moment Of Awesome for Ragna, as Dante comes across him over the prone bodies of Hakumen, or at least what appear to be copies of him, yet Rags decides to fight Dante regardless.
- The fight itself is quite impressive, the two warriors trading combo after combo yet getting back up regardless, with Dante pulling an especially impressive moment by surviving Ragna's Black Onslaught.
- The ending, arguably. Ragna gets hit with Dante's Million Dollar hyper, but gets back up, activates the Azure Grimoire's Blood Kain, and finishes Dante off with a single strike.
- Sakuya Izayoi Vs. Dio Brando
- The beginning is probably one of longest in One Minute Melee, involving Dio throwing a bus at Sakuya, then throwing her into the bus while time is frozen, rapidly punching the said bus once she's inside it until it blows up... only to Sakuya cut the bus in half, being all fine. And that happened before the proper battle even began.
- Sakuya blocking The World's Rapid-Fire Fisticuffs long enough for her to find an opening to cut its arm off (which cuts Dio's arm as well). Having been done at the last few seconds, this would have normally meant the end of the match, but...
- Dual ZA/THE WORLD! Thanks to Time Stands Still hijinks, the battle ends up drawing out way longer than mere one minute.
- After looking like Sakuya had finally beaten him, Dio proceeds to beat her up with his sliced off arm, causing her to let go of her Luna Dial clock and trapping her in the time freeze.
- The finale where Sakuya throws a knife at Dio's throat to silence him, throwing Pinball Projectile knife around what eventually pierces through Dio before ending it with a Flechette Storm.
- What makes it even better is that Sakuya reenacts Jotaro's fake out and time stop at the end of Part 3's final battle right before she pincushions Dio.