Hot Sauce Drinking
A gag where a character drinks hot sauce
without realizing that they are, mistaking it for something else or being forced to.
Or, alternately, a character having Bizarre Taste in Food
and using it as a condiment, often adding much too much, much to the disgust of the other people.
This is a Comedy Trope
. May result in a Fire-Breathing Diner
See also You're Drinking Breast Milk
and Eating Pet Food
- This happens during "Somethin's Cookin'", the animated short at the beginning of Who Framed Roger Rabbit. A funnel is attached to Roger's face. A bottle of "Acme Chili Sauce - Extra Hot" falls down and sticks in the funnel, pouring its contents into Roger's mouth. Flames spray out, turning him into a rabbit rocket.
- John Cusack's character in War, Inc. is often seen drinking shot-glasses of hot sauce as a method of self-flagellation (he's an assassin).
- There was a Hardy Boys book with a scene where Chet mistook some kind of extremely hot sauce for soup. He thought he'd been poisoned.
- The aliens in the Roswell High series put Tabasco sauce on almost all their food and combine flavors in ways that would make Earthlings vomit. This was carried over into the TV show based on the books (see below).
- Fringe: Observers will cover their food in peppers and douse it in Hot Sauce before eating it.
- The aliens in Roswell put Tabasco sauce on almost all of their food and even bake it into brownies.
- Red Dwarf: Dave Lister has been known to drink tabasco sauce after spreading it on his cornflakes.
- In Everybody Loves Raymond, Butt Gorilla Robert Barone at first refuses to believe his father has lost his sense of taste and smell. He argues that the bottle of jalapeno sauce under debate has been hanging around his mother's kitchen since before the Korean War and has denatured. He then proves his argument by taking a long swallow. Thirty seconds later he is hanging on his back underneath the kitchen cold tap and Debra is berating him to at least use a glass.
- Played for Drama in the Fallen Angels episode "Tomorrow I Die" (based on a story by Mickey Spillane). A gang of psychotic criminals forces a waitress they've taken hostage to drink a glass of Louisiana Hot Sauce, saying she'll stay alive only as long as she keeps drinking. She manages a few gulps before stopping, and gets shot dead.
- Hot Pepper Gaming will do this sometimes with some kind of Blazing Inferno Hellfire Sauce, tasking reviewers to drink shot glasses full of it before reviewing, or dunking an already spicy pepper in the stuff and eating that. Some reviewers make it through in one piece. Quite a few more are reduced to tears and profanity.
- In one of the Put it in your Mouth videos, the panels (Noah, Wes and Sohinki) must eat shaved ice poured with hot sauce on it. The final sauce (ghost pepper) was enough to send everyone aside from Sohinki into a screaming mess of snot and tears.
- Vinesauce streamer Joel admitted in his Pokemon Gold randomized stream that he likes drinking hot sauce, straight from the bottle.