A gag where a character drinks hot sauce
without realizing that they are, mistaking it for something else or being forced to.
Or, alternately, a character having Bizarre Taste in Food
and using it as a condiment, often adding much too much, much to the disgust of the other people.
This is a Comedy Trope
. May result in a Fire-Breathing Diner
See also You're Drinking Breast Milk
and Eating Pet Food
- This happens during "Somethin's Cookin'", the animated short at the beginning of Who Framed Roger Rabbit. A funnel is attached to Roger's face. A bottle of "Acme Chili Sauce - Extra Hot" falls down and sticks in the funnel, pouring its contents into Roger's mouth. Flames spray out, turning him into a rabbit rocket.
- John Cusack's character in War, Inc. is often seen drinking shot-glasses of hot sauce as a method of self-flagellation (he's an assassin).
- There was a Hardy Boys book with a scene where Chet mistook some kind of extremely hot sauce for soup. He thought he'd been poisoned.
- The aliens in the Roswell High series put Tabasco sauce on almost all their food and combine flavors in ways that would make Earthlings vomit. This was carried over into the TV show based on the books (see below).
- Fringe: Observers will cover their food in peppers and douse it in Hot Sauce before eating it.
- The aliens in Roswell put Tabasco sauce on almost all of their food and even bake it into brownies.
- Red Dwarf: Dave Lister has been known to drink tobasco sauce after spreading it on his cornflakes.