"I was a teen star. That's disgusting enough."John Paul Cusack (June 28, 1966-) is an American actor and the brother of actress Joan Cusack. He started off as a teen idol in The '80s before he progressed into playing quirky offbeat characters in various films, including broader comedy roles.He has appeared in such films as Grosse Pointe Blank, Being John Malkovich, and 1408. He was also in Con Air, although given his refusal to discuss it in interviews, he apparently wishes he wasn't.
- Better Off Dead (1985) — Lane Myer
- The Journey of Natty Gann (1985) — Harry
- Stand by Me (1986) — Denny Lachance
- Say Anything... (1989) — Lloyd Dobler
- Grosse Pointe Blank (1997) — Martin Q. Blank
- Anastasia (1997) — Dimitri (voice)
- Con Air (1997) — Vince Larkin
- The Thin Red Line (1998) — Capt. John Gaff
- Being John Malkovich (1999) — Craig Schwartz
- High Fidelity (2000) — Rob Gordon
- Identity (2003) — Ed Dakota
- Runaway Jury (2003) — Nicholas Easter
- 1408 (2007) — Mike Enslin
- War, Inc. (2008) — Hauser
- Igor (2008) — Igor (voice)
- 2012 (2009) — Jackson Curtis
- The Raven (2012) — Edgar Allen Poe
- The Numbers Station (2013) — Emerson Kent
- Love And Mercy (2015) — the older Brian Wilson
John Cusack's roles provide examples of the following tropes:
- Author Appeal: Cusack is a big fan of The Clash, and often sports a Clash t-shirt, especially in his earlier films.
- Production Posse: Cusack has appeared in 11 films each with his sister Joan and Jeremy Piven (not all the same films), plus 9 with Tim Robbins and 4 with Jack Black. (To date, no one film has featured all five of them.)
- What Could Have Been: He was approached by AMC to take the role of Walter White, the protagonist of Breaking Bad, but declined, leaving the role to Bryan Cranston.
- He auditioned to play Marty McFly in Back to the Future.