Eating Pet Food
Alice and Bob
are at a party and Bob starts to get a little hungry. So when he sees some food on a tray he helps himself to it. Cue Alice coming over and telling Bob he just ate the pet's food. Bob is either disgusted and spits the stuff out or shrugs
and keeps eating the food.
Similar to You're Drinking Breast Milk
and sub trope to I Ate WHAT?
. This is the unintentional version of Dog Food Diet
May be related to Feed by Example
Anime and Manga
- A Public Service Announcement for Food Stamps had an old woman with her cat in the kitchen. She opens a can of cat food, puts it on a plate, then instead of putting it on the floor for the cat, she puts it on the kitchen table for herself.
- In an early episode of Pokémon, Brock shows the gang the food he developed for Pokémon. The Cloudcuckoolander scientist who's joined them for the episode tries it (not accidentally, this is after Brock's shown it to the group) and says he likes it, but every other non-Pokemon character finds it disgusting.
- In the beginning of A Far Off Place Harry mistakes the cat food for pate. When he finds out what he ate, he is so embarrassed he takes another bite.
- In UHF, Weird Al's friend accidentally eats dog biscuits during the filming of a kid's TV show.
- Happens to Fiona's dad the King in Shrek II.
- Happened in Superman III.
- In Lethal Weapon 3, Murtaugh helps Riggs quit smoking by feeding him dog biscuits.
- The last verse of Run-D.M.C.'s You Be Illin'
For dinner, you ate it, there is none left
It was salty, with butter, and it was def
But Holmes, you did not read, it was a can of DOG FOOD!
- In The Men From The Ministry whenever One and Two are hiding an animal in the office Two is sometimes forced to eat the animal's food to fool Sir Gregory into thinking it's just his breakfast or medicine.
- Our Miss Brooks: In Poison Ivy, Mrs. Davis sets out dog biscuits in place of cereal for breakfast. Miss Brooks and Walter Denton both fall victim.
- A tragic example with Mrs. Avery in the nineties claymation sitcom/Eddie Murphy vehicle The PJs. Subverted in that she can actually afford food, it's just that she's won a lifetime supply of dog food and didn't know what else to with it.
- In SpongeBob SquarePants "Missing Identity", SpongeBob comments that he has been feeding his pet snail Gary for years and doesn't even know what it tastes like. He doesn't like it, but later has to keep on eating it when he retraces his steps to find his eponymous identity.
- In the episodes Have You Seen This Snail and Gary's New Toy, Patrick is known to often eat pet food.
- In Big Top Scooby-Doo!, animal trainer Doubleday absent-mindedly shoves a dog biscuit into Shaggy's mouth. Shaggy doesn't mind and eats it anyway.
- An episode of Rugrats has Angelica running away from home and hiding at Tommy's house. She orders the babies to get her some cookies, but when they can't reach the cookies on a high shelf, they opt to give her dog biscuits instead. Angelica eats them with enjoyment until the babies tell her what she's eating, she reacts with disgust and anger. The babies themselves don't understand and remark that they eat them all the time.