Top row: Quagmire, Magellan, Bogge, Middle row: Mr. Knack, Eureeka, Batly, Bottom row: Emma, Cooey, WebsterEureeka's Castle
was a children's show that aired on Nick Jr. from 1989 to 1995 created by R.L. Stine
. It followed a similar format to Sesame Street
in that it was a Puppet Show
that also featured animated and live-action segments. In its original run, it was two hours long. Between 1999 and 2004, Noggin
picked up a shortened version of the show.
The main puppet sketches took place in a castle owned by a witch named Eureeka, and featured characters such as Magellan, the dragon, Batly, the bat, twin monsters who lived in the moat, and Mr. Knack, a peddler who worked in the courtyard.
This series contains examples of the following tropes:
- Axe Crazy: Emma, in the sketch where Magellan gets a cold.
- Big Eater: Emma, who usually has to apologize for eating all of the food.
- Blind With Out Em: Batly is even clumsier when he loses his glasses.
- Butt Monkey: Batly always finds himself hitting walls and falling over, as well as continually losing to other people even at the things he's supposed to be good at.
- Catch Phrase: Batly's "I meant to do that" (when he crashes), and Eureeka's "Aw, wand whiskers!" (when one of her spells fails to do what she wanted it to).
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Most of the characters to some extent, but especially Mr. Knack.
: Hm... this phone was working until I fixed
- Collector of the Strange: Bogge and Quagmire like to collect anything they can find, sometimes even if they know it belongs to someone else.
- Failure Is the Only Option: Bogge and Quagmire will never successfully con Magellan out of his peanut butter sandwich. Ever.
- Gentle Giant: Magellan, and the giant who turns the castle's key. Both tower over the other characters but are very friendly, especially Magellan, who is one of the nicest characters on the show.
- Hammerspace: Mr. Knack's cart. In at least one episode, you can peer inside and see some items, some relevant and some not, floating in a rainbow-colored void.
- Hiccup Hijinks: Several times, and always involving Magellan, whose hiccups can shake the whole castle.
- Hollywood Tone-Deaf: Batly, although he can sing well too at times depending on the episode.
- "I Am" Song: A couple.
- Batly gets one, talking about how much of a Klutz he is (not).
- One sketch gives one to the entire cast, with each verse focusing on a different character.
- Inept Mage: Eureeka usually ends up failing her spells except in the bumpers. One example: she tried to make an ice cream float with magic and ended up with the ice cream floating in the air.
- "I Want" Song: "Put it on The List" sung by Bogge and Quagmire in the Christmas episode
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Batly, especially when it comes to his friendship with Magellan.
- The Kirk: Eureeka, often when the Moat Twins fight.
- The Klutz: Batly, whose Catch Phrase is "I Meant to Do That". Magellan, who Does Not Know His Own Strength also qualifies.
- Sibling Rivalry: The moat twins pretty much always annoy each other and fight except for when they team up to try to steal Magellan's sandwiches.
- Sick Episode: Magellan gets a cold in one sketch. The following three sketches also relate to health; one is a "Them Bones" music video, one involves a bird getting laryngitis, and one is about one clay guy Playing Sick to get out of building the boat.
- Sidekick: Superdragon's "Super Tail" (Magellan's tail in a cape). The tail usually qualifies anyway because of its seeming autonomy.
- Small Name, Big Ego: Batly thinks he's this amazing genius, but is really just a klutz who's inept at most things he tries. His "I Am" Song plays this up completely.
- Sneeze of Doom: Magellan's sneezes shake the whole room and himself due to his size.
- Stealth Pun: Batly wears glasses and crahes into things alot while flying. A play on the saying "blind as a bat" .
- Stop Copying Me: Bogge ends up copying Quagmire because she told him to copy her dance moves.
- Super Hero: Superdragon(dragon-dragon-dragon) and (Fanfare) Batboy, the imaginary superheroes who are almost the same as Superman and Batman.
- Team Mom: Eureeka is easily the most mature of the main characters, but she's not particularly mature either.
- Team Pet: Cooey, Magellan's bird... thing and Batly's Webster the Spider.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Peanut butter, for both Magellan and the Moat Twins.
- We Want Our Jerk Back: Happened with both Batly and the Moat Twins when a couple of Eureeka's spells accidentally made them nice.
- World of Pun: What causes a lot of Eureeka's Inept Mage-ness is nature interpreting her spells as puns.