Top row: Quagmire, Magellan, Bogge, Middle row: Mr. Knack, Eureeka, Batly, Bottom row: Emma, Cooey, WebsterEureeka's Castle
was a children's show that aired on Nick Jr. from 1989 to 1995 created by R.L. Stine
. It followed a similar format to Sesame Street
in that it was a Puppet Show
that also featured animated and live-action segments. In its original run, it was two hours long. Between 1999 and 2004, Noggin
picked up a shortened version of the show.
The main puppet sketches took place in a castle owned by a witch named Eureeka, and featured characters such as Magellan, the dragon, Batly, the bat, twin monsters who lived in the moat, and Mr. Knack, a peddler who worked in the courtyard.
This series contains examples of the following tropes:
- Axe Crazy: Emma, in the sketch where Magellan gets a cold.
- Big Eater: Emma, who usually has to apologize for eating all of the food.
- Blind With Out Em: Batly is even clumsier when he loses his glasses.
- Butt Monkey: Batly always finds himself hitting walls and falling over, as well as continually losing to other people even at the things he's supposed to be good at.
- Catch Phrase: Batly's "I meant to do that" (when he crashes), and Eureeka's "Aw, wand whiskers!" (when one of her spells fails to do what she wanted it to).
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Most of the characters to some extent, but especially Mr. Knack.
: Hm... this phone was working until I fixed
- Collector of the Strange: Bogge and Quagmire like to collect anything they can find, sometimes even if they know it belongs to someone else.
- Don't Call Me Sir: One of the running gags involves Mr. Knack insisting on the others calling him Nick, causing them to reply, "Oh… Nick Knack," to which someone else (usually one of the mice) will chime in and sing, "Paddywack, give a dog a bone!"
- Failure Is the Only Option: Bogge and Quagmire will never successfully con Magellan out of his peanut butter sandwich. Ever.
- Gentle Giant: Magellan, and the giant who turns the castle's key. Both tower over the other characters but are very friendly, especially Magellan, who is one of the nicest characters on the show.
- Hammerspace: Mr. Knack's cart. In at least one episode, you can peer inside and see some items, some relevant and some not, floating in a rainbow-colored void.
- Hiccup Hijinks: Several times, and always involving Magellan, whose hiccups can shake the whole castle.
- Hollywood Tone-Deaf: Batly, although he can sing well too at times depending on the episode.
- "I Am" Song: A couple.
- Batly gets one, talking about how much of a Klutz he is (not).
- One sketch gives one to the entire cast, with each verse focusing on a different character.
- Inept Mage: Eureeka usually ends up failing her spells except in the bumpers. One example: she tried to make an ice cream float with magic and ended up with the ice cream floating in the air.
- "I Want" Song: "Put it on The List" sung by Bogge and Quagmire in the Christmas episode
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Batly, especially when it comes to his friendship with Magellan.
- The Kirk: Eureeka, often when the Moat Twins fight.
- The Klutz: Batly, whose Catch Phrase is "I Meant to Do That". Magellan, who Does Not Know His Own Strength also qualifies.
- Sibling Rivalry: The moat twins pretty much always annoy each other and fight except for when they team up to try to steal Magellan's sandwiches.
- Sick Episode: Magellan gets a cold in one sketch. The following three sketches also relate to health; one is a "Them Bones" music video, one involves a bird getting laryngitis, and one is about one clay guy Playing Sick to get out of building the boat.
- Sidekick: Superdragon's "Super Tail" (Magellan's tail in a cape). The tail usually qualifies anyway because of its seeming autonomy.
- Small Name, Big Ego: Batly thinks he's this amazing genius, but is really just a klutz who's inept at most things he tries. His "I Am" Song plays this up completely.
- Sneeze of Doom: Magellan's sneezes shake the whole room and himself due to his size.
- Stealth Pun: Batly wears glasses and crahes into things alot while flying. A play on the saying "blind as a bat" .
- Stop Copying Me: Bogge ends up copying Quagmire because she told him to copy her dance moves.
- Suckiness Is Painful: The others seem to feel this way about Batly's singing. In one episode, he caught Magellan's sore throat, rendering him unable to sing. The moment he said that, the whole castle rejoiced.
- Super Hero: Superdragon(dragon-dragon-dragon) and (Fanfare) Batboy, the imaginary superheroes who are almost the same as Superman and Batman.
- Team Mom: Eureeka is easily the most mature of the main characters, but she's not particularly mature either.
- Team Pet: Cooey, Magellan's bird... thing and Batly's Webster the Spider.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Peanut butter, for both Magellan and the Moat Twins.
- We Want Our Jerk Back: Happened with both Batly and the Moat Twins when a couple of Eureeka's spells accidentally made them nice.
- World of Pun: What causes a lot of Eureeka's Inept Mage-ness is nature interpreting her spells as puns.