Haruka, Minako, Ayahi and Aki
J-Pop group consisting of seiyuu Haruka Tomatsu
, Minako Kotobuki
, Ayahi Takagaki
, and Aki Toyosaki
When the group was formed in early 2009, only Haruka had released solo singles (not counting Images Songs
for shows), while the other three were most known for their voice acting, but since then all members have solo careers with their own singles, albums and concert tours, while still being members of the band.
In 2011 they starred in Sphere Club
, their own 15-minute variety show which lasted for 22 episodes. The following year saw the launch of the Anime First
vehicle Natsuiro Kiseki
, in which they played the four main characters, and did a Image Song
for each episode in various lineup combinations. Since they're all both singers and actors, live concerts often include a 15-20 minute play performance in addition to the songs.
They made a quick animated cameo as themselves in an episode of Yuusha Ni Narenakatta Ore Wa Shibushibu Shuushoku O Ketsui Shimashita
Not to be confused with a 1987 sci-fi novel
and it's 1998 film adaptation.
Releases by Sphere:
- A.T.M.O.S.P.H.E.R.E (2009)
- Spring is Here (2011)
- Third Planet (2012)
- 4 colors for you (2014)
Associated with the following tropes:
- A Cappella: The only instrument on "Niji wo Kakeru Melody" is a piano at the very end.
- Audience Participation Song:
- "A.T.M.O.S.P.H.E.R.E": For the verses the crowd shouts the name of each member during the three syllable "A.T.M." part.
- "Let Me Do!!": The final "WHOA-OH-OH" part is often at least 3-4 times longer than normal at live shows.
- Boke and Tsukkomi Routine: Haruka and/or Aki tend to play the Boke in skits with Ayahi and Minako being straight men.
- Color-Coded Characters: Each member has their own color, which they also use in their solo concerts and merchandise.
- Aki: Green
- Haruka: Orange
- Minako: Purple
- Ayahi: Pink
- During one point in the Athethic Harmonies concert they all wear sports outfits and Aki points out that they look like "SpheRangers", except that they're missing a red member.
- Cover Version: Contributed with "Glory Colors ~Kaze no Tobira~" on a ZONE tribute album, and has performed it live as well.
- Cute Little Fang: Aki.
- Girl Group
- Lucky Charms Title: "Watashi ♪NOTE to #Pencil", which also works as a pun (the #-sign is "sharp" in Japanese)
- Lyrical Cold Open: "GENESIS ARIA", "Super Noisy Nova".
- The Napoleon: Ayahi takes this role from time to time.
- Non Uniform Uniforms: Their outfits usually have minor differences between them, sometimes at the sleeves.
- Numbered Sequels: Their third album being titled Third Planet, and fourth 4 colors for you.
- One, Two, Three, Four, Go!: The title for the 5th anniversary concert was "Ready Steady 5th Anniversary"
- Singing Voice Dissonance: Ayahi singing opera. Her English pronounciation is also very good while singing.
- Statuesque Stunner: Haruka and Aki. In 90+% of the group photos — such as above — they can be found standing at each side, with Minako and Ayahi in-between.
- Title Track: A.T.M.O.S.P.H.E.R.E, and Spring is Here had them, while the main new track on Third Planet was "Planet Freedom" instead.
- Vocal Tag Team: All members sing on all songs. Often the verses are split in either two or four.
- Yukata Fanservice: At the Natsuiro Kiseki Festival event.