"When you guys first came in, we were as wholesome as the family in The Brady Bunch. Now we're as dysfunctional and incestuous as the cast of The Brady Bunch".Cast Incest is a variant of Romance on the Set, where two actors from a TV series or film start dating in real life, after they've been playing family members in the show. Or maybe they were cast into a part specifically because they were already dating/married. Sometimes it can come from a bad Actor Allusion if two people are playing a couple in a production when they had previously played family members or vice versa. For the far squickier inversion, see Incestuous Casting.
open/close all folders
- Ferris Bueller's Day Off: On-screen siblings Matthew Broderick and Jennifer Grey dated after appearing in this film together. The actors who played their parents, Cindy Pickett and Lyman Ward, met on the film and were married for several years.
- Blades of Glory: Will Arnett and Amy Poehler, who play the sibling ice skating duo, were married in real life when the film came out and were together well before the film was made. And it's not exactly platonic in the film either.
- Mrs. Miniver: Greer Garson married Richard Ney, who was her on-screen son.
- The Chronicles of Narnia. In the early years, it was actually implied that the actress who played Lucy Pevensie had a Precocious Crush on her co-star who played her older brother, due to the fact that she constantly mentioned him in the audio commentaries, tried to attract his attention, and said how she missed him the most. The movie's producers and executors even named one of the audio commentaries Georgie loves Skandar.
- Robert Pattinson, who plays Edward Cullen in Twilight, was seen dating his co-star Nikki Reed, who plays Rosalie Hale, his adoptive sister in the movie. Made even funnier by the fact that, in the book, their characters were supposed to fall for each other but never did.
- Nikki Reed also dated for two years Victor Rasuk, who played her onscreen brother in the movie Lords of Dogtown.
- Loverboy (not the one with Patrick Dempsey): Kevin Bacon plays his real-life wife's father. No wonder the character's screwed up.
- The Evil Dead (1981): Bruce Campbell revealed in a Q&A session that he lost his virginity to Ellen Sandweiss.
- A strange Actor Allusion version with Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort. In Divergent they play siblings Beatrice and Caleb Prior. In The Fault in Our Stars they play lovers Hazel and Augustus.
- The Sound of Music: Charmian Carr, who played Liesl, admitted she had a crush on her onscreen father, Christopher Plummer. Plummer would admit the feeling was mutual, but never went beyond flirtation.note
- In House of D, a semi-autobiographical film written and directed by David Duchovny, the Duchovny character's neglectful, alcoholic, pill-popping mother was played by his then wife Tea Leoni. Richard Roeper described this as "a bit of casting that would knock Freud off his chair".
- Married couple Ford and Elle become siblings Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch.
- Noted on the DVD commentary for The Squid And The Whale: Anna Paquin and Jeff Daniels play lovers, which squicked out fans of their previous collaboration as a father and daughter on Fly Away Home.
- Tom Felton has admitted to having had a crush on Helena Bonham-Carter, his onscreen aunt in the Harry Potter franchise.
Live Action TV
- Doctor Who: David Tennant, the Tenth Doctor, is married to Georgia Moffett, who played the eponymous character in "The Doctor's Daughter". Not only that, but Georgia Moffett is the daughter of Peter Davison, one of Tennant's predecessors in the role. They now have a daughter, so there is now a child out there that has the Doctor as a father and a grandfather. To sum up: A Doctor's daughter who played the Doctor's daughter and then had the Doctor's daughter.
- Dexter: Michael C. Hall (Dexter Morgan) and Jennifer Carpenter (Debra Morgan) are playing onscreen siblings. For a couple of years, they were married in Real Life.
- Everwood: Emily VanCamp ("Amy") and Chris Pratt ("Bright") dated in real life while being siblings on the series.
- Averted with Life With Derek's main actors, Michael Seater and Ashley Leggat, who played Derek and Casey respectively. The most popular rumors are that they used to date and sleep together due to the fact that their characters had too much UST, but none of the actors had ever confirmed such rumors. In fact, they were best friends who hung out a lot in their free time and were, unconventionally, quite touchy-feely with each other. Even after almost 10 years, with Ashley being married and Michael having other relationships, they still hang out as best friends and have fun together.
- Wizards of Waverly Place's actors, Selena Gomez and David Henrie, who play brother and sister, were seen, in Puerto Rico, dining at a restaurant known by locals as a "dating hotspot". It doesn't help the fact that they seem to like each other a lot since their own characters, in the movie, appear to have UST problems, according to many fans. Selena even said in an interview that she actually had a crush on David when they were younger. They later admitted that they used to casually date, but they don't want to get involved into something serious, due to the fact that, well, they are Justin and Alex Russo after all.
- Ryo Narushima (formerly Keiko Hayase) and Ryuhei Kobayashi, the actors who played the twin Hoshikawa siblings of Remi and Fumiya in Chikyuu Sentai Fiveman, dated each other while filming the series. They were married after the show ended and have since raised three children.
- Heroes: Heroes co-stars Hayden Panettiere (Claire Bennet) and Milo Ventimiglia (Peter Petrelli) dated while playing an onscreen uncle and niece. They've since broken up, but that hasn't stopped the shippers — or the writers — from shipping Peter/Claire, who are uncle and niece.
- The Brady Bunch: Barry Williams (Greg) went out to dinner once with Florence Henderson, his TV (step) mom, and the media made a bigger deal out of it than it actually was. A full-fledged relationship did not come of it. There was a behind-the-scenes special that revealed that just about everyone ended up hooking up to one extent or another, usually with their counterpart.
- Due South: Paul Gross is married in real life to the actress who played his character's mother's young ghost. She also played his (off-and-on) lover in Slings & Arrows a few years down the road. Not only that, but much of this series, which is an employment comedy about theatre, revolves around the (dysfunctional) familyishness of said theatre.
- Lost: Michael Emerson is married to the woman who plays Ben's mother. Somewhat offset by the fact they never share screen-time with each other.
- Ian Somerhalder (Boone) and Maggie Grace (Shannon) briefly dated.
- This also happened to be canon incest for the characters. They're step-siblings, but they call each other brother/sister. It's confusing and awkward.
- Brothers and Sisters had to do a serious retcon due to the sexual chemistry between the actors playing half-siblings Rebecca and Justin. Supposedly these two dated early on in the run of the show.
- Which is especially funny as the actress playing Rebecca, Emily VanCamp, is also mentioned in the Everwood entry.
- David Annable, who played Justin, also allegedly dated Sally Field, his onscreen mother.
- On Roswell, the actors who played Max and Isabel (siblings) were dating in real life.
- David Cassidy and Susan Dey, who played siblings on The Partridge Family, slept together shortly after the series ended. She had a huge crush on him; he claimed he loved her like a sister, but made an effort anyway. It didn't work out.
- Bruce Boxleitner married Kathryn Holcomb, his TV sister from How the West Was Won.
- Early on in the run of Nip/Tuck onscreen mother and son Joely Richardson (Julia) and John Hensley (Matt) were dating in real life.
- Lauren Graham and Peter Krause who play siblings on Parenthood are currently dating, which is naturally becoming a Running Gag for Lauren on media tours to joke about dating her "brother".
- In Strangers with Candy, Stephen Colbert's wife briefly appears as his character's mother in a flashback. To make things interesting, in The Movie, she's his character's wife (who was played by a different actress in the series).
- In the 80s mini-series North and South (the Second Book), Kirstie Alley and her then-husband Parker Stevenson played siblings Virgilia and Billy Hazard, respectively.
- John Travolta became romantically involved with Diana Hyland after she played his mother in The Boy in the Plastic Bubble.
- Blue Bloods: Alluded to in an interview, where Tom Selleck had to remind himself not to have any chemistry with his on-screen adult daughter.
- Real-life married couple David and Tamela Mann play father and daughter on Tyler Perry's Meet the Browns.
- Degrassi: Ray Ablack briefly dated Melinda Shankar, who plays his younger sister.
- Mrs. Brown's Boys: Almost all of the main characters are played by relatives by blood or marriage of series creator Brendan O'Carroll, who also plays Mrs. Brown. Perhaps the oddest example is Jennifer Gibney, who is Brendan O'Carroll's wife in real life but plays Mrs. Brown's daughter Cathy on screen. Mrs. Brown's friend and neighbour Winnie McGoogan is played by O'Carroll's sister Ellish. Mrs. Brown's daughter-in-law, Maria Nicholson, is played by O'Carroll's daughter Fiona, while her real-life husband, Martin Delany, plays Mrs. Brown's son Trevor. Maria's husband, Dermot, is played by Paddy Houlihan, the lifelong best friend of O'Carroll's son Danny, who plays Buster Brady... and Danny's wife, Amanda Woods, plays Betty, the wife of Mrs. Brown's son Mark.
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. has one of a purely Actor Allusion variety: Clark Gregg and Amy Acker play love interests, having previously been cast as uncle and niece in Joss Whedon's film version of Much Ado About Nothing.
- Jason Priestley and Shannen Doherty, who were on screen twins on Beverly Hills 90210, were involved for a short period in real life too, while filming the first season of the show.
- In most episodes of the BBC series The Supersizers Eat, the characters played by Giles Coren and Sue Perkins are husband and wife. However, the Regency episode makes their characters brother and sister. Sue lampshades this by suggesting that Giles's Regency character has incestuous feelings for hers.
- A sibling example: Young & Hungry features Emily Osment and Jesse Mc Cartney as a couple. Emily's older brother is Haley Joel Osment, who's most noticeable role in the 2010s is Sora of the Kingdom Hearts video game franchise. Jesse McCartney is also involved in that franchise as Sora's Nobody, Roxas. Yes Emily, your ex-boyfriend is an alternate version of your brother.
- Ken Shamrock dated Alicia Webb, who portrayed his Kayfabe sister 'Ryan Shamrock'. There was even a plan to do an "incest" storyline with them, but this was dropped once Webb was released by WWE.
- Best known for her work in ECW from 1995-1998 as Beulah McGillicutty, Trisa Hayes had a short-lived role in Stampede Wrestling in the mid-1980s as Brian Pillman's "sister" Theresa, as she and Pillman had been dating in Real Life at the time.
- Rebecca Caine played Cosette in the original, 1985 London production of Les MisÚrables, opposite Colm Wilkinson as Jean Valjean, Cosette's father-substitute. Then, she was cast as Christine in the original Canadian company of The Phantom of the Opera - opposite Colm Wilkinson as the Phantom.
- George Hearn (The Broadway replacement for Len Cariou as Sweeney Todd) and Betsey Joslyn (replacement for Johanna, Sweeney's daughter) were married in real life before the production. This can be seen on the tour DVD.
- Sierra Boggess played Ariel and Norm Lewis her father Triton in The Little Mermaid, and the two ended up playing Christine and Erik/the Phantom in The Phantom of the Opera.
- Jasmine Cephas-Jones (Peggy Schuyler/Maria Reynolds) and Anthony Ramos (John Laurens/Philip Hamilton) of Hamilton are dating. Peggy is Philip's aunt.
- Kevin & Kell also gives an In-Universe example: one arc featured Rudy's high school putting on a production of West Habitat Story, that universe's version of West Side Story. His girlfriend Fiona is cast as Maria. Rudy himself? Cast as Maria's brother Bernardo. As they put it, "awkward...". At least until Rudy forgot it was a play and slugged Edgar (Tony) for kissing Fiona. The director's response was to promptly recast him as Chino, Maria's would-be suitor. But for about a week it still counted!
- A flashback in Axe Cop has the title character's mother voiced by Megan Mullally (who voices most of the female characters in the show). She's the wife of Nick Offerman, who plays Axe Cop.
- Happens in-universe with BoJack Horseman and his former TV co-star Sarah Lynn, who played his daughter on the Show Within a Show Horsin' Around: The two have sex with each other in one episode while under the influence.