Helena Bonham Carter is incapable of uttering a single word without charm, unless she has to for a role.
Helena Bonham-Carter (born 1966) is an acclaimed and versatile English actress who, for the past decade, has been better known as Tim Burton
's girlfriend/leading lady in everything
. They met while he was directing The Remake
of Planet of the Apes
in 2000, and have been together ever since and have two children together. Before that, she was briefly Kenneth Branagh
's girlfriend/leading lady; although they only made one film during the relationship (not counting Mary Shelley's Frankenstein
, which was made before they got together). She is the great-granddaughter of British Prime Minister Herbert Henry Asquith
Filmography (in alphabetical order):
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette: Gets typecast into this role fairly often. See Harry Potter, Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, and Fight Club.
- Elegant Gothic Lolita Clothing: Sometimes wears clothes inspired by this style, especially in films where she plays a darker character (Harry Potter and Alice in Wonderland).
- English Rose: Some of her older roles. Still gets these now and then (e.g. as Queen Elizabeth—granted, the Queen Mum was actually Scottish, but she played her as a grown-up English Rose).
- Fake American: In Fight Club, Dark Shadows and The Lone Ranger.
- Hide Your Pregnancy: She was pregnant during Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince and Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street. This is why she spends parts of those movies hiding behind the furniture, and her costume seems to change size and shape.
- Large Ham: Whenever she plays a villainess.
- Loners Are Freaks: When she was younger.
- Mean Character, Nice Actor: Some of her roles have her playing very nasty, cruel and unlikeable characters (Fight Club and Harry Potter stand out). She is, of course, absolutely incapable of being close to any of those traits.
- Messy Hair
- Ms. Fanservice
- Older Than They Look: Would you believe she's in her late forties?
- Perky Goth: Since Tim's page proclaims him the king, then she is undoubtedly the queen.
- Platonic Life Partners: With Johnny Depp.
- Type Casting: Once upon a time, she was most famous for playing rosy-cheeked ingénues?note Breaking out of one type (read: Fight Club) led to it becoming her new type!
- What Could Have Been: Was nearly cast as Sarah in Jim Henson's Labyrinth. Was also the first choice for Bess in Breaking The Waves but dropped out due to personal problems with the film's ending. She was one of the actresses considered for the lead role in Bridget Jones's Diary, so if she had that role she could've starred in two movies with Colin Firth as her paramour.