Shailene Diann Woodley (born November 15, 1991) is an American actress. Originally receiving some attention for her lead role on ABC Family's The Secret Life of the American Teenager, she's since appeared in films like The Descendants as George Clooney's daughter, Hazel Grace in the film adaptation of John Green's The Fault in Our Stars, and Tris in the Divergent film series, based on the book series of the same name.
- The District (2001 — 2003) as Kristin Debreno
- Crossing Jordan (2001 — 2004) as Young Jordan Cavanaugh
- The O.C. as Kaitlin Cooper (2003 — 2004) note
- Jack & Bobby (2004 — 2005) as Chloe Benedict
- Felicity: An American Girl Adventure (2005) as Felicity Merriman
- Once Upon a Mattress (ABC, 2005) as Molly
- Final Approach (2007) as Maya Bende (voice only)
- The Secret Life of the American Teenager (2008 — 2013) as Amy Juergens
- The Spectacular Now (2013) as Aimee
- The Descendants (2013) as Alexandra
- The Divergent Series (2014 — 2017) as Beatrice "Tris" Prior
- Divergent (2014)
- The Divergent Series: Insurgent (2015)
- The Divergent Series: Allegiant (2016)
- The Divergent Series: Ascendant (2017)
- The Fault in Our Stars as Hazel Grace Lancaster (2014)
She provides examples of:
- All-Natural Snake Oil: According to this article, she eats a tablespoon of clay in order to "remove metals" from the body, and gargles coconut and vegetable oil afterwards instead of brushing her teeth and using mouthwash.
- Does Not Like Shoes: She has frequently gone barefoot after premieres and parties, even attending the premiere for The Spectacular Now with no shoes, and seems to be very comfortable doing so. She has even admitted to having a foot fetish
- Intergenerational Friendship: Shailene is so close to on-screen mom Laura Dern that she lives part-time in Dern's house.
- Ms. Fanservice: She has few qualms about being nude onscreen.
- The Pete Best: On The OC, she played Kaitlin in season 1. In Season 3 when the writers decided to make Kaitlin a more important character, the role was recast to Willa Holland.
- She Really Can Act: Before The Descendants most people had only seen her on Secret Life.
- Star-Making Role: Although she was well known as Amy in Secret Life and Alexandra in The Descendants, Tris in Divergent and Hazel in The Fault in Our Stars really launched her career into the stratosphere.
- Their First Time: As of 2015 she's played characters who have lost their virginities onscreen five times.note Her favorite scene she's filmed is even her love scene with Miles Teller in The Spectacular Now.
- Those Two Actors: With Ansel Elgort in Divergent and The Fault in Our Stars.
- Type Casting: All of her best-known and highest-praised roles are as angsty teenagers either dying, self-destructing or close friends with someone who is in movies adapted from Young Adult Literature (The Descendants somewhat straddles the line, being told by a middle-aged man but mainly about teenagers). Her role in Secret Life also fits this mold.
- What Could Have Been: She was cast to play Mary Jane Watson in the The Amazing Spider-Man Series; while she did film scenes intended for use in its second (and ultimately final) installment, her part was deleted altogether in the final product. The Amazing Spider-Man franchise itself fizzled out when Sony partnered with Marvel Studios to produce a new Spider-Man film series, meaning her iteration of the character may likely never see the light of day.