Dead Island 2 is the long-delayed sequel to Dead Island. It was originally announced for release in 2015, developed by Yager (Spec Ops: The Line) and published by Deep Silver. However, Yager was moved off the project, with another developer, Sumo Digital, taking their place, only for Sumo Digital to get moved off as well and replaced with Dambuster Studios.
It's been months after the events of Banoi and now the U.S. military has gotten the state of California in a full quarantine due to a zombie outbreak. But are the citizens freaking out? Nope! Not by a long shot! Instead, California's become a super-bloody paradise for those who either don't want to leave the Golden State or want to do their part in the zombie epidemic and deal with them by force. Or do it just because it's fun.
Check out the E3 2014 trailer right over here.
This game provides the following tropes:
- Body Horror: The E3 2014 trailer alone had a healthy-looking jogger devolving into a zombie. With detail.
- Fake Muscles: In the E3 2014 trailer, the jogger's biceps are revealed to be implants when his infection turns him into a zombie and his decaying flesh and skin can't keep the implant in one of his arms in place. His wig also falls off and the skin on his nose falls off revealing he's had a nose job.
- Headphones Equal Isolation: The jogger in the E3 2014 trailer has on some headphones which start blaring out "The Bomb" by Pigeon John, and so he fails to notice the escalating chaos erupting behind him: a woman rollerskating that is attacked by zombies and screams at him for help, a guy shotgunning zombies who eventually gets overwhelmed, an out-of-control limo which almost clobbers him, and then a helicopter crashing...
- Hellish Copter: In the E3 2014 trailer, a news chopper careens into view with (presumably) zombies hanging from the landing struts. It crashes into a building and explodes.
- Obvious Beta: Played With. A version of the game offering a snapshot of it's development status in 2015 was leaked, showing why Yager were taken off the game and why it failed to materialise at all in the same year, since the game could barely be considered more than a glorified tech demo at the time, and likely wouldn't have been out before 2016 at the earliest.
- Robbing the Dead: In the E3 2014 trailer, after the zombified jogger gets killed (well, disassembled) by a melee weapon in the face by two survivors, one of them gets out and steals the shoes the zombie jogger was wearing.
- Sequel Number Snarl: Despite being titled as the second game in the series, Dead Island 2 is actually the third game, with Riptide as the actual second game.
- Soundtrack Dissonance: The E3 2014 trailer has a guy jogging to the tune of Pigeon John's "The Bomb". As he's going, it turns out that he's jogging in the middle of a Zombie Apocalypse. Hell's breaking loose, innocent people are being attacked left and right, but is he freaking out? Nah. But he's already been bitten, and soon decomposes and turns into a zombie himself.