Warning! Tropes and character descriptions will contain spoilers!
Main Characters (Twenty-Fifth Bam) | Organizations (FUG, Wolhaiksong) | Regulars (First Batch, Second Batch, Third Batch, Fourth Batch, Fifth Batch) | Rankers | Irregulars | Jahad Empire (Princesses of Jahad, 13 Month Series) | Floor Guardians | Others
Rankers are people who have already climbed the Tower, and are further split between normal Rankers and High Rankers, who achieved a high ranking even among them. In short, they are all pretty badass. Other than the main characters, Irregulars, members of the Jahad Empire, and Princesses of Jahad are largely Rankers as well, but are listed on their own pages.
- The Ageless: Climbing The Tower gives them eternal youth (with the exception of Hendrock Family - they are... special). This immortality (more specifically greatly lengthened life spans) is a specific reward for passing a Floor near the very end, so some very high Regulars also fit in with this.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: All of them are kinda odd compared to the more normal Regulars, but as individual Rankers they get focus it's shown to be more of a coping mechanism to deal with the trauma of climbing the Tower.
- Knight in Sour Armor: All of them that aren't outright evil are pretty world weary with the current system. This is because, to climb the Tower, they had to abandon friendships and betray people for personal advancement.
- Older Than They Look: As Rankers who have climbed the Tower with the power to use Shinsu, they are all nigh immortal and much older than they look.
- Really 700 Years Old: Some border on Time Abyss.
Second Floor Rankers
Voiced by: Kenjiro Tsuda (Japanese), Trent Mills (English)
Tower Position: Light Bearer, Lightning User
Ranker and exam supervisor for the 2nd Floor, he takes care of the Regulars that arrive on the Floor of Tests. He also trains the Light Bearers, and Aguero confides in him.
After the events of the Submerged Fish Hunt test, Lero-Ro quits his job on the 2nd Floor and goes to meet Wolhaiksong on the 77th Floor to find out the truth about what's going on with the odd events surrounding Bam. After finding Hachuling, Lero-Ro becomes a new intern for Wolhaiksong, and takes on a job to infiltrate the Workshop Battle to stop the creation of a dangerous weapon that FUG is trying to create.
- Almighty Janitor: Despite being young, praised by most of his peers (even Smug Super Quant and Insufferable Genius Yu Hansung) and revealed to be equal in power to a prodigy RED member Ren.
- Badass Baritone: You wouldn't guess it from his youthful looks, but the anime adaptation gives him a very deep, gravelly voice courtesy of Kenjiro Tsuda. This does surprisingly fit with his "friendly, but no-nonsense" personality.
- Badass Lab Coat: Sooooooo white...
- Beware the Nice Ones: He may be the nicest of the 2nd Floor admins, but him being serious is enough to force Anaak to back down and tell sore losers to fuck off.
- Clark Kent Outfit: He is ripped under that labcoat.
- Curtains Match the Window: Golden hair, and gold eyes
- Facial Markings: Two black dots on his face, one under each eye.
- Friend on the Force: He does not like how Irregulars and deviants are sorted out from the climb and is Bam and Aguero's go-to-person.
- Hartman Hips: In his first appearance. Downplayed later.
- Mission Control: His job as a Light Bearer.
- Mysterious Past: With Yuri Jahad.
- Neutral No Longer: When he quits his Test Administrator position to enter Wolhaiksong.
- Nice Guy: Of all the Rankers, he is the most decent. Except for that one time he made clear that "those who are not worthy, should FUCK OFF!" (And even that can be seen as him being nice, since he's trying to save their lives.)
- Precision F-Strike: See above.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Very, very much. Even after quitting, he's still on the trail of what happened and willing to help when he can.
- Shock and Awe: According to Word of God, he is capable of using shinsu to generate electricity.
- Shout-Out: To Pikachu: Electric powers, dots on his cheeks. SIU said it was, so it was.
- Spell My Name with an "S": The name changes from Leo-ro to Lero-Ro.
- Super Senses: Hearing.
Voiced by: Hiroyuki Yoshino (Japanese), Xander Mobus (English)
Tower Position: Scout, Flame User
The 2nd Floor Instructor of the scouts with a temper as fiery as his hair and all the maturity of a elementary school kid. Despite having such a persona, he is still a fierce and sharp-witted fighter. He served as the primary opponent to the Regulars during the Hide-and-seek test, and he's also related to Quaetro.
After being fired from his job on the 2nd Floor, he left with Lero-Ro to go to the 77th Floor and find Wolhaiksong. Alongside, Lero-Ro, Quant becomes a new intern for Wolhaiksong as the two of them go about infiltrating the Workshop Battle.
- Ambiguously Brown: His skin is dark.
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy: Oh, sweet boxed baby chickens, is he ever. He just loves showing off to the "unworthy".
- Dark-Skinned Redhead: A Family trait, as it happens.
- Fiery Redhead: That one is in full effect.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Yup. Just about anything will set him off.
- Honor Before Reason: A very idiosyncratic take on this, but, yes. Diss Scouting and he'll come at you.
- Inferiority Superiority Complex: Hachuling likes to exploit this for fun.
- Innocent Innuendo: Due to a mistaken translation, Quant became his widely accepted English name. However SIU later showed his actual English name in a character profile later, meaning he's unfortunately named Qunt. Due to this being a somewhat offensive term (and fan inertia), the fan translators have continued to use Quant.
- I Was Just Passing Through: Towards Lero-Ro, even as friends.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: When he gives Bam hope to save Rachel during the Hide and Seek test.
- Large Ham: Lampshaded by Lero-Ro and Yu Hansung during the Hide and Seek test.
- Manchild: Let's just say he really hates losing.
- Overshadowed by Awesome: He just isn't as awesome as he thinks he is and surrounded by others who outclassed him.
- Playing with Fire: His stat cards state he is very proficient in using fire shinsu.
- Smarter Than You Look: Khun and Shibisu express surprise over Quant's perceptive judgements, having mistaken the latter being blinded by his hot temper or emotional immaturity for a lack of intelligence.
- Smug Super: Modesty really isn't his thing.
- Unwitting Pawn: In Yu Hansung's schemes.
Voiced by: Daisuke Kishio (Japanese), Lucien Dodge (English)
Tower Position: Wave Controller, Anima, Cutter, Circle User
The Test Administrator of the Floor of Test, second in command to Evankhell. He is a genius in many ways, looks like a very attractive woman and is known among the Regulars for two things: His devious, scheming personality and his complete and utter addiction to instant coffee. He really likes any kind of instant food.
Yu Hansung also has a younger data version of himself within the Hidden Floor. His data self works alongside Bam and company in an attempt to escape from said Floor's data rulers.
- Agent Peacock: Dresses quite well, even when in casual. Always has fabulous hair.
- Almighty Janitor: Based on ability alone, he became ranked as a High Ranker. His power was even said to surprise the Vice-Commander of RED.
- Badass Boast: His entire confrontation with Ren boils down to that.
- The Beastmaster: He is an Anima.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Appears to be a Reasonable Authority Figure at first. The reality is quite different.
- The Chessmaster: Most of the events in season one can be traced back to his plotting. His data-memory self proves he's always been the plotting kind.
- Curtains Match the Window: Yellow/Gold.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Very feminine looking, especially with his hair down.
- Foreshadowing: Yu Hansung's smile after Bam responds to him about the garbage at the top of the Tower hinted heavily at his true feelings on the matter. He, himself, does not care about any of those riches and wants something that would change the Tower. Bam likely proved himself to be just the person to make those waves with his response.
- Inseries Nickname: Coffee Machine.
- Insufferable Genius: Called the "genius Wave Controller", and he is quite fond of his intelligence. Even as a Regular, his skill was way OP for his Floor Level — and, bleeding proud of it, thanks. If his data-memory is anything to go by, that is.
- Kick the Dog: Blackmailing Bam. Messing with Bam — past, present; same difference.
- Manipulative Bastard: Very good at making others play along with his schemes without them being aware of it.
- The Mole: He is a member of FUG pretending to be a part of Jahad's Empire.
- Mole in Charge: He serves as a Test Administrator on the Floor of Tests for Jahad's Empire when in actuality, he's a member of FUG that's fighting against Jahad.
- Must Have Caffeine: Subtle, but there: the sheer number of times he's spotted with a cup of the stuff... And, yes: there's a personal ritual, too. Which. Will. Be. Followed.
- No One Gets Left Behind: A copy of his younger self tries very hard to escape with his fellow companions without leaving them behind, leading Endorsi and Bam to wonder whether he was always the Bitch in Sheep's Clothing he is today. According to the Snake Charmer, yes, he was, and he was only trying to help all his fellows escape for the sense of accomplishment and making himself look good. But considering the Snake Charmer is a Manipulative Bastard himself, it is questionable how much that was actually true. Since Yu Hansung continues to show genune concern for the data people well after the opportunity to make himself good has passed.
- Obstructive Bureaucrat: Has the authority and strength to do whatever he wants on the Floor of Test.
- Rapunzel Hair: Nobody thought that the Director was a GUY.
- Red Baron: Submerged Fish.
- Summon Bigger Fish: Pulls this on Ren and it is awesome. His epithet itself is the "Submerged Fish".
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: He and Bam are technically on the same side and fighting for the same cause, but due to him Bam doesn't exactly enjoy working with a copy of his younger self.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Instant anything, but particularly coffee. The quicker the better, so oodles of noodles are go! The story behind it, however, is much less goofy than you'd think.
- Villainous Rescue: Is one of the FUG Rankers that helps fend off Jahad's Royal Army to protect Bam and the other Regulars.
Lo Po Bia Ren
Tower Position: Wave Controller, Anima
Introduced as Yuga, he seems to have taken that Wave Controller Instructor's guise (a sheeplike, horned costume that you wear like a ghost costume of bed sheets and a smile that looks like mustard on rice). He has multiple Shinheuh stored inside his body/suit and has the ability to control these creatures, especially aquatic ones, like the Bull. Moreover, the youngest/newest member of the RED.
Ren was tasked by the Jahad Family to sneak himself into the 2nd Floor in order to assassinate Anaak due to her being a Fake Jahad Princess. However, his efforts are stopped by the arrival of the Ranker Princess, Yuri Jahad.
- Arc Villain: For the 2nd Floor's final exam where Ren put his plan into action to try to kill off Anaak during the Submerged Fish Hunt test.
- Badass Boast: His entire confrontation with Yu Hansung boils down to that.
- Bald of Evil: From what we've seen of his actual face he appears to be this.
- The Beastmaster: He is an Anima.
- Blood Knight: Gets very excited at the prospect of a good fight.
- Combat Sado Masochist: As seen in
- Does T His Remind You Of Anything: His release of murderous feelings homicidal orgasm?
- Eccentric Mentor: As Yuga. He wears a costume that makes him look like a rice ball with horns and a smiles made of mustard.
- The Faceless: We do not know what he truly looks like. Then again, You Don't Want to Know with Ren.
- Fatal Flaw: Pride.
- Inseries Nickname: Rice Ball.
- Put Ona Bus: Established as an important player in Part 1 (or at least part of an important group), then never seen again.
- Sadistic Choice: Offers one to Endorsi.
- Secret Police: RED.
- Slasher Smile: Has a VERY creepy smile.
- Smug Snake: Picks fights against people way above his skill level.
- Smug Super: His promotion to RED has made him a tad arrogant.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Len or Ren?
Tower Position: Wave Controller, Fisherman, Flame User
The director of the Floor of Test. Very strict and very tall, Evankhell has agreed to a complex testing system of the Second Floor for reasons unknown. Doesn't appear during the actual events on the Floor of Test, but appears much later.
- Asskicking Equals Authority: She gained her position as ruler of the Floor of Test by killing the previous ruler.
- Blood Knight: Considering how she got her job, it should come as no surprise that she loves to fight strong enemies. She was willing and able to take on two high rankers close to her level and an army of about 30 normal rankers at the same time without even using her full power.
- The Dreaded: Everyone speaks in an at least very respectful tone about her, and everyone fears what might happen if she finds out how screwy things went.
- The Ghost: For the entire 1st Season (despite it taking place on her floor), since she's on vacation. Only descriptions from Rankers allude to her history. Really, it was the only way for the plot to happen. If she was there half of the events would not have been able to occur.
- The Mentor: She takes Bam as her apprentice, for fun.
- Playing with Fire: Her elemental nature. The orb she created contained enough fire inside to become a small sun and nearly incinerated all the other combatants on the 44th Floor.
- Samus Is a Girl: Turns out to be a woman when she finally makes her appearance.
- Sink-or-Swim Mentor: Her idea of training Bam is to send him to appropriate battle locations. She selects the battlegrounds and forbids Bam from using the red thorn or Black March without her permission (to build his basic skills).
- Statuesque Stunner: Not bad looking and capable of shifting her size to be seven meters tall.
Test Admin Rankers
Tower Position: Spear Bearer, Circle Ability User
Cute but serious, the Administrator of the 20th Floor Test. He oversaw the Survival Round, the "World's Strongest Regular" challenge, and created the Trustworthy Room test for Viole. He has a "I do what I want type of attitude."
- Badass Adorable: Weird but fun and cute character design? Check. Incredibly powerful and awesome? Check.
- Baseball Episode: His fight with Viole including 2 giant pitching gloves, attacks like Straight Ball and Pitch Change-up, even the Trustworthy Room test for Viole is baseball themed.
- Big Eater: He eats 50 chickens per day.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: It's hard to take him seriously, at first.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: He is a member of the Chicken Love Club.
- Cute Bruiser: Adorable looking, and very capable of kicking your ass.
- Dark and Troubled Past: His parents were killed by a FUG member.
- Flash Step: His Slider technique.
- Hidden Depths: Admits that Viole is incredibly talented, and gives him another chance despite his hatred of FUG.
- Lightning Bruiser: Is able to easily match Viole's speed, and greatly surpasses him in power.
- Non-Standard Character Design: Even in The Tower world, he looks a bit... Off.
- Pintsized Powerhouse: Very strong despite his size.
- Readings Are Off the Scale: Compared to the 20th Floor Regulars. And he wasn't even trying. Justified since he's a Ranker.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: When Wangnan interrupts his duel with Viole.
- Revenge: He once sought it against FUG for the murder of his family, but after the Jahad Empire killed off his second family, he gave up, though he continues to hold grudges against both of them.
- Tricked-Out Gloves: His giant, hovering baseball glove.
- Unmoving Plaid: Subverted.
- Wingding Eyes: Filled with scribbles.
The Test Director of the 20th Floor, and Mule Love's superior.
- Bling of War: His attire.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Is a member of Chicken Love Club.
- Code Name: Gusgus. Not that hard to guess.
- Da Chief: A rather mild example, but an example nonetheless.
- Manipulative Bastard: Easily manipulates Love by acting like the latter screwed up trying to face off against Viole one-on-one in the Trustworthy Room test since it basically announced Viole's existence to the Tower. In actuality, Love did exactly what FUG wanted.
- The Mole: Secretly a member of FUG while working under the Jahad Empire.
- Mole in Charge: Works as the 20th Floor's Test Director for Jahad's Empire when in actuality, he's a mole for FUG that fights against Jahad.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Not shown in battle, but his status as a Ranker and his appearance automatically earns him this.
- Technicolor Eyes: Has a red sclera and golden irises.
- White Hair, Black Heart: A white-haired Ranker who's a part of FUG.
The Test Administrator of the 21st Floor. His test for Viole, and company, is to kill Urek Mazino for stealing the Zigena flowers.
- Arc Villain: Revealed to be the true overall villain of the Flower of Zigena Story Arc.
- Asshole Victim: His cruel farming operation on top of how he tried to get rid of Viole's entire team? You will not be missed, gitface.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: He seems like an innocent Ranker at first, only to be discovered later on that he has been making black market deals behind the scenes.
- Blush Sticker: Permanately on his face, even during his Oh, Crap! moment.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Effortlessly beaten by Urek Mazino. Also has tinges of Ironic Death crossed with a little Too Dumb to Live: ineffectually and repeatedly prodding Urek even by proxy? Dude should have guessed what was going to head his way.
- Eyes Always Shut: Classic example.
- Goggles Do Nothing: Except sit there.
Voiced by: Kazuyuki Okitsu (Japanese), Kyle McCarley (English)
Tower Position: Guide
Princess Yuri's Guide, and a High Ranker who gave Bam a high-grade Pocket when the boy first entered the Tower. Evan sees himself reflected in Bam, and travels around with Yuri wherever she desires to go.
- Badass Adorable: Word of God says his rank is "about 100th".
- Butt-Monkey: Constantly suffers through Yuri's physical abuse.
- Chew Toy: Being Yuri's Guide does not come without a price.
- Cowardly Lion: One of the biggest worrywarts and borrowers of trouble in the whole Tower. Packs more punch than most, as well as a surprising amount of durability.
- Determinator: A fairly quite one, for sure. But, no matter how off-script Yuri is going to try throwing herself, he's always there to make sure she at least looks before she leaps over the worst cliffs. When he seriously puts his foot down, she does pause to take it in. Grit... and, the patient drip of water on stone.
- Expy: The Archer to Yuri's Rin Tohsaka, as the more powerful but beleaguered assistant to a spirited Ojou.
- Our Dwarves Are All the Same: Not this time. Evan is one of the Silver Dwarves, a race known for their short stature, silver hair, and being Guides. Only the stature is common with fantasy dwarves, since neither he nor his race are known for their tinkering or facial hair.
- Precision F-Strike: He utters one at 2nd Floor when Yuri threw him down from cliffs while others present lampshading someone really needs to utter those words. The word crazy, I mean.
- — Evan: "YOU DAMN 'CRAZY PRINCESS!!!"
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl: Poor sod; he got saddled with one of the worst.
- Hyper-Competent Sidekick: He is ranked higher than Yuri, although according to SIU, Guides (which Evan is) are generally weaker at combat, while Yuri appears to be a combat-focused Fisherman, so she might still be tougher than him in a fight. His higher ranking is most likely due to his influence as Chief Guide of Jahad Royalty.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Blue to Yuri's red.
- Tiny Guy, Huge Girl: While Yuri isn't as big as other examples, Evan is one of the smallest people to have appeared.