Irregulars are people who opened the door to the Tower themselves and entered from the Outside; generally, they are among strongest and most terrifying creatures in the whole Tower. Most of them are Shrouded in Myth, and rumors about them never give much away except that they are pretty dangerous.
Since Zahard and the Heads of the 10 families entered from outside the Tower, they are technically irregulars as well (see Ashul Edwaru's comments in Of the Tower's Weapons from the author's blog, or Yu Han Sung's comment in in Chapter 58 that an Irregular is "...one who opened the door himself, just like the great Zahard or Urek Mazino"); but they are generally not considered as such in casual conversation, and are listed under Tower Of God Zahard Rulers.
See Main Characters.
See Main Characters.
A mysterious and highly dangerous Irregular. He is the most powerful entity in the Tower and is an Axis, which is a concept from SIU's older stories which are no longer available for viewing. In this sense, Phantaminum is older than the Tower of God story.
He is ranked 1st for the famous incident where he broke into Zahard's palace on the 134th floor, killing everyone he came across, all of them powerful High Rankers. Only two survived this rampage; a young Yuri Ha who refuses to talk about the incident, only saying that Phantaminum was "a dirty one", and Zahard himself. Phantanimum disappeared without a fight after meeting with Zahard, and any appearances afterwards are only rumors that cannot be proven.
His mysterious appearance and disappearance raised a lot of questions, which is why he left behind a legacy as the "Riddle" of the Tower. With no clear motivations, affiliations, or relationships, every Ranker is on the watch for any action he may make. He is rumored to be the only High Ranker capable of ascending to the 135th Floor.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: He vs anyone. Period.
- This is due to the fact that his status as an Axis means that nothing other than another Axis of greater power can defeat him due to their Reality Warper status. Not that any of the inhabitants of the Tower are aware of this fact.
- The Dreaded: He, along with Enryu, created the prejudice against the Irregulars. The few witnesses to his rampage either died or lost their minds from whatever he did.
- The Ghost: We get a brief glance of his shadow, or his hair, or weapon, or clothes. Really we don't know.
- One-Man Army: Any of the highest Rankers qualifies as this, but Phantaminum explicitly stormed the most fortified and powerful fortress in the world, which was guarded by the most powerful people in the world, all on his own.
- Outside-Context Problem: From the perspective of the rest of the Tower. He appeared from nowhere using a type of weapon none of them had ever seen before, completely slaughtered their strongest champions for reasons nobody understands, then vanished just as mysteriously.
- Reality Warper: According to Word of God this is what an Axis is.
- Red Baron: The Riddle. No further explanation needed, or possible.
- Run the Gauntlet: Stormed the 134th Floor's palace, where many High Rankers as well as Zahard himself resided. He killed everyone he came across, with only Yuri Ha as the sole survivor, and supposedly came to face Zahard but left without doing anything.
- Satellite Character: An odd example of this, but despite his minimal importance to the story, it had been noted that the reason why Urek entered the Tower was probably because he was pursuing Phantaminum.
- Shrouded in Myth: Inside the Tower, what is known about him basically amounts to "scary guy who can flatten anybody". And, a lot of shrugging.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Pentaminum?
- Storming the Castle: Attacked the fortress of the king (where nearly all the strongest Rankers in the Tower were) singlehandedly. And before he decided to stop (for unknown reasons), he was winning. Easily.
- Story-Breaker Power: Word of God says he could destroy the entire story of Tower of God if he wanted to.
- Unknown Rivals: Supposedly with Enryu, people may talk about it, but the have never met before. Possibly with Urek Mazino as well, as Urek expressed a desire to fight or at least find Phantamium. Whether or not he knows about Urek searching for him or even knows he exists at all is unknown.
- Was Once a Man: He is noted to be an "Awakened" Axis, in other words he used to be a normal person before becoming whatever he is now.
- World's Strongest Man: Definitively. The only guy people are giving a snowball's chance in hell to defeat him is Enryu. And Word of God is that since Phantaminum is an Axis, even Enryu would have no chance whatsoever against him.
The first Irregular (discounting Zahard himself, who technically entered as an Irregular but predates the Irregular/Regular system) and second strongest Ranker in the Tower. Enryu became a legend when the rumors spread that he managed to killed a Guardian (which had previously been considered to be impossible). He is described by Garam as a messenger of God who came to deliver his Thorn to the child of Arlene's prophecy.
Enryu appeared suddenly after Zahard built a shrine on a Floor Arlene loved dedicated to him, and appeared because he could not seem to tolerate this defilement. Denouncing Zahard as the false king, he swept aside his Rankers that tried to attack him and fought the Guardian of the floor, which ended in it being killed. He hid his Thorn behind for the one to kill Zahard to find before departing.
Currently, Enryu's whereabouts are unknown and no one knows what he is doing, but it is rumored Headon is looking for him.
- Blade on a Stick: Summons great quality of these.
- Beyond the Impossible: The Guardians, who can control shinsoo freely and manage the flow of shinsoo on each floor? Yeah, Enryu's shinsoo control is actually greater than theirs; it's a "heretical ability that breaks the laws of the Tower".
- Creating Life: Is rumored to have the ability to create living things from Shinsoo.
- Death from Above: Sure, you can focus on him. But, that means you're not watching where the attack is likely to come from...
- Death of a Thousand Cuts: Subverted. While he does summon THOUSANDS of spears, each one is strong enough to significantly damage a Physical God.
- The Dreaded: He, along with Phantaminum created the prejudice against the Irregulars.
- Flechette Storm: Subverted; Enryu's spears are absolutely massive and he can make countless amounts and fling them at his enemy with a gesture. No Ranker could hope to stand against this and not even the Guardian could endure.
- The Ghost: It is rumoured that Enryu will appear during the middle of the story.
- Though you have to remember that the creator is SIU. The middle could be anytime.
- He eventually appeared in Garam's recounting of his exploits. Whether or not he will appear in person has yet to be seen.
- Kill the Guardian: To let the people know that Guardians weren't absolute beings, and possibly to hide his Thorn for the child of prophecy.
- Munchkin: The author literally describes him as such (in the power-gamer sense) in his character notes.
- Off the Rails: Because of the murder of the 43rd Floor Guardian, Regulars simply advance through the middle area of 43th Floor without taking a test.
- Over Nine Thousand: Literally. Enryu is the only known person to handle over 9000 baangs of shinsoo. Most likely a Shout-Out.
- Reality Warper: In his presence, all Shinsoo turns red. No one in the Tower really knows why, although many have guesses.
- Red Baron: Is called the Red Tower due to the fact that all Shinsoo turns red when he is around.
- Shrouded in Myth: A lot of things are said of Enryu, most notably that he can create life using shinsoo.
- Signature Move: "Red Rain". It's notorious enough as the only move he was shown using. Even here, there are 7 tropes (including this one) currently describing it.
- Spam Attack: Red, pointy death comes in bulk. He likely has other attacks along similar lines, given how abilities usually build on each other.
- Storm of Blades: His Red Rain ability.
- Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny: He and Phantaminum have never met and have nothing to do with each other, but since they're the first and second-strongest Rankers who ever lived, fans of each within the Tower constantly speculate about who would win in a fight. The outcome would obviously be Phantamium's victory due to him being an Axis, but no one knows this.
Urek is an Irregular that entered after Phantaminum and Enryu (possibly tracking down Phantaminum) and climbed the Tower in just 50 years, a fraction of the time a normal Ranker takes. Urek is currently the 4th strongest and the strongest active Ranker (with Phantaminum and Enryu's whereabouts unknown and Zahard in hibernation). He is the most recent Ranker to enter the Top 5.
He is one of the co-founders of Wolhaiksong, a group that has influence comparable to that of the 10 Great Families. Combined with his unmatched strength, Urek's every move influences the future of the Tower.
Urek also has data on the Hidden Floor, but there is something strange about it...
- Always Someone Better: Phantaminum. And it pisses him off.
- Arc Villain: Towards Viole and Team Tangsooyook during the Flower of Zygaena Story Arc. Though it turns out later on that the 21st Floor Test Administrator, Noma, was the true villain.
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy: Of course, he can back it up; he obliterates Karaka with a single finger and not even 1% of his full power.
- Attention Whore: Seriously, he could probably out-spotlight-hog most Princesses, given half a chance to mug for a camera. Even with a small audience of soon-to-be-victims, he showboats every move he can.
- Big Damn Heroes: His whole role in the Floor of Death boils down to this Up to Eleven.
- Blood Knight: Boasts that a thousand Rankers should be brought to face him instead of three so he won't feel embarrassed to talk about it later. He also greatly approves of Viole standing his ground and not running away from him.
- Boisterous Bruiser: He loves having a good time (read "getting out and causing havoc"); and, his off-the-wall energy levels are hell on other people. Hence, some of the ribbing he gets.
- Calling Your Attacks: His Emperor's Scorching Fist of Death, particularly. Notable since Viole successfully managed to learn it after seeing Urek use it; but, he outright refuses to add it to his repertoire as-is, since he finds the name too embarrassing.
- The Ditz: It's not that he's completely thick, spaced-out or unplugged-in (you can't afford to be, in the Tower), but... well... you get the impression he needs assistance to think in straight lines and/or to stay grounded a lot of the time. He's bright enough to know that, too, even if he does slip his Winged Tree crew from time to time.
- The Dreaded: Inverted. Despite being considered the most powerful currently-active Ranker, he is mostly treated as a joke — particularly by those who know him well. (See below.) However, for unenlightened Regulars who might come across him unprepared, he's genuine, 100%, high-octane Nightmare Fuel personified.
- In-Series Nickname: The Winged Tree Organization still calls him Urek Loser-no, Loser-rek Mazino, U-Loser Mental Mazino-seon ever since he got owned by the deputy head of the Ranking Office. Of course, no one in the series thus far has dared to call him that to his face.
- Hellish Pupils: Red vertically slit pupils.
- Lightning Bruiser: All High Rankers are most likely this at minimum, but Urek is famous for being one.
- Mr. Fanservice: Is there a reason he doesn't wear a shirt?
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: He acknowledges that giving Hell Joe the Red Thryssa wasn't a good idea due to it taking over Joe and corrupting his lofty goals.
- Rated M for Manly: He is popular with guys, but unpopular with women, precisely because he so thoroughly embodies this trope.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Damn creepy ones... until he starts being his dude-bro self at you. That greatly mitigates the effect.
- Space Compression: As a power. He once shrunk an entire forest and put in a suit case. Then carried it all the way to the 77th Floor upon which he re-expanded the forest.
- Super Speed: Fastest flash-step so far seen; he went from standing still to being in the middle of kicking a Ranker in the back of the head from one panel to the next.
- The Magnificent: Ray Barracuda due to his incredibly aggressive and powerful but impossibly fast fighting style.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: In his debut. This was, perhaps, purely to show off his tattoo.
- World's Strongest Man: He refers to himself as this, even though he technically isn't.note
- Worthy Opponent: For Arie Hon and Koon Eduan, Koon Aguero's father.
- Unrequited Love: For Garam Zahard, no less.
Original Tower Climbers
See Zahard Rulers.
An Irregular that climbed the Tower alongside Zahard and the 10 Great Family leaders, and said to be the cause of all the problems that plague the Tower in the current day. The reason being because Zahard had fallen in love with Arlen, but couldn't have her, because her heart was already set on another of their companions, V.
After Zahard became the new Tower King, Arlen revolted alongside V against Zahard and the 10 Great Family leaders so that they could one day continue climbing the Tower after Zahard locked the door to the 135th Floor. However, the two of them lost the war, and were forced to go on the run as fugitives. Zahard would hunt them down to the point of killing Arlen and V's newborn child, which resulted in V committing suicide to allow Arlen to return to Zahard's side, and live a better life. However, Arlen chose not to do so, and became a wanderer of the Tower to try to find a way to bring her dead baby back to life. Eventually, Arlen claimed to have found a means of escaping the Tower desiring to see the free starry sky outside the Tower, and begged to the God outside the Tower to bring her child back to life one day. Her dead child possibly being Baam.
In the present, Arlen and V's existence have been erased to make it seem like it was only Zahard and the 10 Great Family leaders that originally climbed the Tower. However, Arlen hid away her Pocket detailing her erased story, which was found by Princess Enne Zahard. In addition, Rachel is shown to have some sort of connection to Arlen as well, and is determined to be the one who makes Arlen's wish of going outside the Tower come true.
- Chekhov's Gun: Arlen's existence was foreshadowed due to the 28th Floor's Hand of Arlen structure that was the setting of the "Devil of the Right Arm" Story Arc.
- Complete Immortality: Arlen is unable to die since she's part of the immortality contract that Zahard made with the Tower Guardians.
- Determinator: She was determined to bring her baby back to life to the point of placing a spell on her baby's corpse so that it never rotted away.
- Driven to Madness: The loss of her baby took a toll on Arlen's sanity, which led to V committing suicide.
- Driven to Suicide: She attempted multiple times to kill herself after the death of her baby, but given her Complete Immortality, she was unable to do so.
- Love Triangle: Got stuck in a tragic one between Zahard and V. Zahard loved Arlen, but she loved V, who loved Arlen in return.
- Official Couple: With V.
- Revenge: She offered her murdered baby's corpse to God in order to create Baam, and use him as a weapon to slit King Zahard's throat.
- Wandering the Earth: Instead of going back to Zahard's side after V committed suicide, Arlen chose to wander the Tower alone searching for a means to escape the Tower, and bring her dead baby back to life.
An Irregular that climbed the Tower alongside Zahard and the 10 Great Family leaders. V was the one who Arlen had truly fallen in love with, which causes her to reject Zahard's marriage proposal. Similar to Arlen's story, the two of them ran away to revolt against Zahard after he became the Tower King, and locked the door to the 135th Floor. However, they lost said war, and became fugitives on the run. After Zahard killed their baby, V chose to commit suicide after seeing Arlen continuing to lose her sanity in the hopes that she would go back to Zahard's side to live a better life. However, she didn't choose to do so.
In the present, V and Arlen's existence have been erased to make it seem like it was only Zahard and the 10 Great Family leaders that originally climbed the Tower.
- Character Death: Killed himself for Arlen's sake.
- Driven to Suicide: After witnessing how much sanity Arlen lost due to the death of their baby, V killed himself so that she could live a better life without him.
- Love Triangle: Got stuck in a tragic one where he was up against Zahard for Arlen's affection. In the end, Arlen chose V.
- Official Couple: With Grace Arlen.
- One-Letter Name: Known only as V.
- Signature Move: He was the best at utilizing Shinsoo "Tension".