Walk Two Lifetimes is an ongoing Bleach Self-Insert Fan Fiction by Coolio101  . It is available on both AO3 and FF.net.
Doctor Christina Dalton dies of cancer and is reborn in Japan, a little over a hundred and fifty years before Kurosaki Ichigo would meet Kuchiki Rukia and become a Shinigami to defend his family. Yukimura Hisana, who in one world would become Kuchiki Hisana before dying of illness, is born with enough spiritual power to see souls and hollows as well as fuzzy memories of maybe the first two or three Bleach arcs. The same year her younger sister a Rukia is born, when Hisana is ten years old, a tsunami strikes their village and Hisana wakes up in the 78th district of South Rukongai with a baby to take care of.
Walk Two Lifetimes has a companion fic in the form of a collection of extra scenes and snippets going by the title Sidewalks, on both AO3 and FF.net.
Walk Two Lifetimes contains examples of:
- Action Girl: A plethora of them, including Hisana herself.
- Action Survivor: Early on, Hisana was this.
- Affably Evil/Faux Affably Evil: Akiyama straddles the line between them.
- Aint Too Proud to Beg: Hisana, when Akiyama tortures/experiments on Eiji, resorts to begging him to stop - which played a large part in why Eiji forgave her for working for him.
- Almost Kiss: Between Hisana and Byakuya in chapter 19.
- Almighty Janitor: Hisana grows into this over time in Seireitei, being an Academy student intern in the 4th Division with the duties and influence of a Lieutenant. It comes to an end in chapter 35, when Unohana officially makes Hisana her Lieutenant shortly before Hisana dies.
- Annoying Patient: Hisana has to deal with a lot of these during her internship in the Fourth Division, as Unohana intentionally assigned her the difficult patients. They dont keep their attitude long if Hisana has to deal with them.
- The Apprentice: Miwa, to Hisana.
- The Assimilator: Khimaira, and Hisana by proxy.
- Back From the Dead: Hisana, technically, as benefitting her phoenix motif.
- Badass Adorable: Hisana and Yachiru, most notably.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: Between Kazuki and Kaori as well as Hisana and Byakuya.
- Beneath the Mask: Hisana is always putting up a mask when talking to Yakuza bosses, people she immensely dislike but have to play nice with, and Aizen, though Gin glimpsed beneath it and her fear of that man during their first meeting.
- When Hisana takes control of Khimaira, the first person she sees is Gin. Being unprepared, she doesnt quite manage the role of Khimaira, giving Gin a glimpse under the mask once more.I suggest ya move before I make ya. Trust me, ya wont like the latter option, he drawled. It stared at him for another moment, some unreadable emotion flickering through its eyes for the briefest second. Then it blinked and its expression returned to its usual deference.
So sorry Ichimaru-san, I must have gotten lost in my own head for a moment there. Of course Ill move, it said, a guileless smile on its face, before it began walking away.
What do ya think youre doing? He called out sharply.
Moving, Ichimaru-san, it replied without looking back. Gin watched its departing figure, tilting his head in thought. Granted, it was certainly possibleverging on likelythat it really was stupid enough to misinterpret his words in that way. Still, there was something different about it today. He just couldnt put his finger on it.
It was only later that he realized it had addressed him by -san instead of -sama.
- When Hisana takes control of Khimaira, the first person she sees is Gin. Being unprepared, she doesnt quite manage the role of Khimaira, giving Gin a glimpse under the mask once more.
- Berserk Button: Do not insult or disrespect the medical profession in front of Hisana, and hurting her family is a surefire way to earn her animosity, especially if you hurt Rukia.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Hisana, in spades.
- Big Brother Instinct: Hisana has a big sister instinct towards Rukia and Renji, most notably. Kaori, Kazuki, and Mitsuo also displays this protective instinct.
- Big Damn Heroes: One of the first examples of this is when Hisana comes to the rescue of Renji and a young girl with high spiritual energies, electrocuting the man attempting to kidnap them.
- When Hisana first activates her Shikai, she ends up on the back foot after faltering when a dizzy spell hit her. Before the Hollow ends up taking advantage of her slowing Healing Factor, Gin appears and kills it for her. Hisana is displeased.
- The Big Damn Kiss: Hisana tackles and kisses Byakuya after he finally talks to her about the courtship, which is the start of their official romantic relationship.
- Big Eater: Hisana and Renji.
- Bi the Way: Rangiku.
- Blatant Lies:Tsukabishi: Are the two of you intoxicated right now?
Hisana: No, sir.
Tsukabishi: You reek of alcohol, girl.
Hisana: It makes an effective mosquito repellent, sir.
Tsukabishi: A mosquito repellent. And him?
Hisana: There are a lot of mosquitoes after him, sir.
Tsukabishi: And the clothes arent enough of a deterrent?
Hisana: They are very determined bugs, sir.
Tsukabishi: So they are.
- Blue Blood: The Kuchiki, which causes problems when Byakuya starts courting Hisana.
- Break Them by Talking: While Gin is the one who does this for fun when hes not just messing with people, Hisana also has quite a few instances to do this although with a different intention.
- Broken Bird: Chiyo had become this when Hisana meets her as one of Akiyamas prisoners.
- Bunnies for Cuteness: Rukia has a noticeable love for bunnies, including having pet bunnies.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Kaien has difficulties admitting to Miyako that he loves her at first, and just rambles due to how flustered he is when talking to her.
- Cant Hold His Liquor: Shirai.
- Catapult Nightmare: Hisana has one in chapter 16.
- Combat Medic: Hisana is the main example of this as the main character, but she is not the only one.
- Combat Pragmatist: Hisana, with one of the primary examples being her throwing a spider on her sparring partner.
- Cradling Your Kill: Hisana cradles Akiyama in his dying moments. Later on, Aizen cradles her after Gin stabs her.
- Creepy Good: Hisana can be this at times, especially after becoming a Hollow, and so can her idol Unohana.
- Damsel in Distress: Byakuya, when he first meets Hisana. Eiji, Hiro, and Chiyo, when held captive by Akiyama. Hisana, when forcefully in the employ of Akiyama.
- Damsel out of Distress: Hisana, when she gets the opportunity to turn on Akiyama by tipping off Kaien about the location of the Shinigami he was sent to save.
- Dangerous Forbidden Technique: The offensive ability of Hisanas Shikai.
- Deep Sleep: Often as a response to reiatsu exhaustion, Hisana may fall into a deep sleep to recover. It extends to a coma when she nearly kills herself through reiatsu exhaustion to save Rukia from high-level Hollows.
- Defiant Captive: Hisana, Eiji, and Hiro.
- Determinator: Hisana, in spades.
- Did I Just Say That Out Loud?: Hisana accidentally wondered if Aizens chest was made of bricks out loud, right in front of him, as their first meeting.
- Difficulty Spike: From dealing with Tatsuya to Akiyama to Gin to Aiken, Hisana has a very steep difficulty curve with the kind of dangerous people shes dealing with.
- Dirty Business: Having been part of a gang, Hisana also healed anyone who came to her door, no matter who they were or what they had done.
- Dissonant Serenity: Gin. Unohana. Aizen. Hisana.
- Double Meaning: Hisanas first conversation with Aizen about veers chess sharply into it at the end.Hisana: I dont know if Ill ever beat you. But you dont know that I wont.
Aizen: Thats true, you may surprise me. You already have. Either way, I look forward to our game.
Hisana: As do I. I hope that when the time comes, Aizen-fukutaicho, I prove a worthy opponent.
- Don't Sneak Up On Me Like That: Hiro almost guts his mother when she sneaks up on him, and draws a blade on Hisana for the same reason.
- Dropping the Bombshell: Hisana revealing to Rangiku who she is, after Rangiku had gossiped about her with her.
- Drowning My Sorrows: While upset with Byakuya for starting courtship negotiations with his clan without asking her first, Hisana decides to go drink her concerns away.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Byakuya, according to Rukia and Renji.
- Eating the Enemy: Hollows, and Hisana as of chapter 36.
- Elegant Classical Musician: Christina was one, a violinist, and as such Hisana is one when she picks up the violin as well.
- Embarrassing Rescue: Hisana's rescue by Gin and then carried back to Soul Society by him in chapter 21.
- Everyone Can See It: Both Kazuki and Kaori's feelings for each other, Hisana and Byakuya's, and Kaien and Miyako's.
- Evil Counterpart: Akiyama for Tatsuya. Gin for Hisana.
- Extranormal Institute: The Shinigami Acadamy.
- Face Death with Dignity: Akiyama.
- Famed In-Story: Hisana, the Angel of Inuzuri, was famous in as well as the darling of Inuzuri.
- First-Name Basis: Aside from Gin, who calls Hisana by her first name despite her protest, Hisana quickly gets on a first name basis with Byakuya and later gets on first-name basis with many Shinigami of varying rank, including Kaien.
- Food as Bribe: Gin bribes Hisana with persimmons, Hisana bribes Urahara with steak.
- Foodfight!: After Hisana helped Yachiru bake the cake and then get Yumichika out of hiding in his room, a food fight started. Hisana had to duck out when Ikkaku ducked an egg she threw and it hit Zaraki Kenpachi in the face.
- Force Feeding: Akiyama threatened with it when Hisana informed him the Shinigami he held captive wasnt eating.
- For Want of a Nail: Hisana causes more than a few ripples in this fashion. Most recently, Hisana's presence saved Kaien's life at the cost of him becoming a Visored, and her attempts to save the Visored had Aizen kill her and frame the Visored which led to them being actively hounded by Soul Society for a century and counting.
- Frame-Up: Aizen framed Kaien for Hisana's death.
- Friendly Enemy: Hisana and Gin's relationship is a mixture of this and Vitriolic Best Buds.
- Functional Magic: Expands on the functional magic of canon.
- Giant Wall of Watery Doom: The cause of Hisana and Rukia's death, along with the rest of their village.
- Girlfriend Bluff: When a guy who cannot take a no starts hitting on Hisana in a bar, a woman appears, pretending to be her girlfriend. Hisana plays along and after he leaves, she strikes up a friendship with the woman who turns out to be Matsumoto Rangiku, there to celebrate a promotion with Gin - who never showed up.
- Gosh Dang It to Heck!: Shirai curses by using food.Shirai: Soggy biscuits! Cold pea soup! Sour prunes!
- Groin Attack: Hisana at ten years old manipulating a Rukongai citizen into a position to do this to him and knock him out with a brick to steal his possessions was what drew Tatsuya's attention to her.
- Gut Punch: Hisana's death.
- Happy Flashback
- Harsher in Hindsight: Rukia's If You Ever Do Anything to Hurt Her speech to Kaien when Hisana is killed by him. Byakuya asking Hisana to marry him and Unohana making Hisana her lieutenant not long before Hisana is supposedly killed by Kaien.
- Healing Factor: Hisana's Shikai. Later, one of Khimaira's main abilities.
- Good Thing You Can Heal: Hisana would be dead if she had not activated her Shikai and had her Shikai not had the ability it did when a Hollow decided to gut her.
- Healing Hands: Healing Kido.
- Height Angst: Downplayed. Hisana really wishes she was taller, and is often teased about her height.
- He is Not My Boyfriend: Hisana has to correct people on this in regards of her and Byakuya enough that in her narration she thinks she could recite the speech in her sleep.
- Hellhole Prison: Where Eiji, Hiro, and Chiyo was kept under Akiyamas care.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Tenshi no Tsubasa sacrificing herself so that Hisana can live.
- Horror Hunger: Hisana develops one of these after being fed to one of Aizens experiments.
- Implied Death Threat: Gin delivers one to Rukia, after Hisana's rescue of her sister lands her in a coma.Gin: So fragile.
Rukia: Shes not weak.
Gin: Never said she was. You can be the strongest person in the world, and still be fragile. With a person like Hisana, if ya wanna break them, ya dont face them head on. Its like breaking tempered glass. You find their weak points, apply just a bit of pressure, and you wait for them to shatter. Luckily, a soul is more flexible than glass. Theyre malleable, susceptible to change. To toughen them, all you have to do find the weak spots in a persons life and remove them. Either by ironing them out so that theyre as strong as the rest of the soul or, if need be, by cutting them out entirely. Either way, any weaknesses should be eliminated. Dont you agree, Rukia-chan?
Gin: Im glad to see we understand each other. Dont keep me waiting too long, Rukia-chan. I wont be patient forever.
- Impossible Task: Kaien sets one for Hisana - to catch Shihouin Yoruichi, the Goddess of Flash, with the promise of a pet pig and getting his sister to teach her to make fireworks if she does. She succeeds by Byakuya walking up on her with Yoruichi.
- Incurable Cough of Death: With the death part being subverted and the incurable cough being justified, Ukitake, as in canon, but with the additional bonus of Hisana actively researching it and even finding a treatment.
- Im Standing Right Here:Rukia: Nee-chan, youre friends with this guy?
Hisana: I know. I cant believe it either.
Ikkaku: Oi! Im still here!
Hisana: Im aware.
Rukia: Your point?
- In Spite of a Nail: Despite all changes Hisana brought with her, Aizen still creates the Visored, and the Visored alongside Urahara and his friends have to flee Soul Society.
- Insult of Endearment: Rukia and Renji calls Byakuya Oni-sensei, and Hisana calling him Hime is a mixture of this and Affectionate Nickname.
- Inter-Class Romance: Byakuya the noble from Seireitei falls in love with Hisana the Rukongai commoner from one of the least respectable districts. His grandmother and elders do not approve.
- In the Back: Hisana dies by Gin's sword as he stabs her through the heart from behind.
- Invisible to Normals: Ghosts, Shinigami, and Hollows alike.
- I Thought Everyone Could Do That: Hisana has no idea not everyone can treat Captains and Lieutenants or even highly seated officers as if they were equal, especially not when you are an Academy student.
- It's Personal: The hunt for the Visored, Urahara, and Yoruichi became personal for a large part of the high-ranking Shinigami after Hisana's death.
- I Warned You: Gin tried to warn Hisana from trying to save the Visored.Gin: I tried to warn you.
Hisana: I know.
- I Want Grandkids: Byakuya's grandmother continually tries to set Byakuya up with noble girls in hope he finds a future wife to give her great-grandchildren with.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Hisana in regards of Byakuya.Hisana: Love him, like him, care for himit doesnt matter. Theyre just labels. I want him to be happy, thats all. And if hes happy with me being his friend, thats what Ill be.
- If You Ever Do Anything to Hurt Her: Rukia gives a non-romantic version of this to Kaien when he is to bring Hisana to Seireitei.
- King Incognito: Byakuya tries to pull this off in his first visit to Hisana, but his body language and that he hides his sword gives him away.
- Let Us Never Speak of This Again: Hisana ended up demanding that those who knew how she ended up succeeding Kaien's Impossible Task (see above).
- A less humorous example, Hiro tells Rukia that the fact she was the one who (accidentally) brought the Hollow bait outside of the Twelfth Division, which led to it being activated, stays between them.
- Like Brother and Sister: Hisana and Kaien, which is entirely platonic.
- Locked Up and Left Behind: Hanataro was a victim of this kind of prank, causing him and Hisana to miss the Shikai demonstrations as Hisana picked the lock to help him out.
- Love Epiphany: Hisana has one of these, or rather a crush epiphany, as she practices sensing reiatsu with Byakuya.
- Byakuya has one of these much later, when Gin decides to take the opportunity to troll him and Hisana in one go.
- Love Informant: Hisana learns that Byakuya wants to court her from Kaien, who was unaware that he had yet to tell her.
- Mad Scientist: Akiyama, Urahara, Kurotsuchi, even Aizen has shades of it.
- Magnetic Hero: Hisana.
- Manipulative Bastard: Aizen, Gin, and Urahara, all with different goals and intentions.
- Master Actor: Aizen, but Hisana also has her moments.
- The Medic: Hisana, Miwa, Unohana, Iemura, and the entirety of the 4th Division.
- Mental World: Every Shinigami has one, as does Hollows, and Hisana survives in Khimaira's mind for a century as she prepares to usurp control of their body.
- Metaphorically True: Hisana uses these kind of lies both to avoid Aizen catching onto her being onto him and to mess with people, such as saying that Kaien gave her her child, in reference to the pig Kaien gave her - which she dotes on as if it was her child.
- Moment Killer: Hisana's family, including Hisana, have a habit of vetting/scaring off potential love interests of the others before it gets anywhere. This includes Hisana introducing herself with her hands still dripping with blood from surgery, Kaori chasing Kazuki around with an axe, Rukia throwing her least behaved rabbit on a girlfriend that was allergic to rabbits, and several of them volunteering to make food and making the love interests food absolutely terrible.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Rukia when she realizes she was the reason the Hollow bait was outside of the 12th Division lab and allowed for the accident that had it activated, leading to Hisana ending up in a coma.
- My Greatest Failure: Early on, Hisana is driven to improve as a healer after failing to save Tatsuya and Horio.
- Nausea Fuel: Upon finding Tsukuda Ayame crying after being harassed into making cake for a patient, Hisana takes over and makes him a cake that looks like him but bleeding from every orifice and makes a wet squelching sound when Hisana cuts into it. He and his friends ended up shell-shocked, horrified, and/or looking like they were going to be sick.
- Noodle Incident: There are noodle incidents aplenty mentioned in the main story, some of which are expanded on in Sidewalks.
- The time one of the girls Tatsuya was flirting with turned out to be a cross-dressing man in disguise.
- Whatever had Hisana use up all the Fourth Division's wasabi, which in Sidewalks is revealed to be tricking at least one Eleventh Division Shinigami to eat a mouthful of it.
- The tranquilizer incident that had Iemura actually ban Hisana from having Gin as her patient.
- The time Hisana accidentally-on-purpose set Matsushita on fire for slapping Isane, getting herself banned from Kido classes.
- The time Hisana set off fireworks inside of Kukaku's house.
- The time Rukia and Renji set loose a bunch of black cats in the Academy the day Yoruichi was supposed to visit.
- Not a Morning Person: Renji.
- Nothing Is the Same Anymore: The story revolved around Hisana and her growth from a Rukongai urchin to a Shinigami, and followed her as she made friends and allies in each Division as well as enemies while working to make things better for her friends and family. It followed her blossoming romance with Byakuya. And then, when she has reached the rank of Lieutenant and is engaged to Byakuya, she is presumably killed by one of her closest friends while surviving in the body of a Hollow.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Downplayed, but Hisana hides how good she is with Healing Kido in Inuzuri, showing only enough skill to keep people alive rather than heal serious injuries fully.
- Over-the-Shoulder Carry: Gin attempts to carry Hisana this way in chapter 21, after coming to her rescue, and Hisana bites him to get out of it.
- He proceeds to do it anyway, with Hisana bound into ropes like a caterpillar, as revenge when she turns out to have stolen his money when he dropped her from the previous attempt to carry her.
- Overshadowed by Awesome: How Rukia often feels in comparison to Hisana, and what happens to Miwa as Hisana is forced to leave to become a Shinigami.
- Pass the Popcorn: At some point, Hisana starts carrying small bags of popcorn with her for precisely this trope. It makes its first appearance when she gets Iemura drunk and sends him into a game of capture the flag in the Eleventh Division.
- Physical Fitness Punishment: Rukia and Renji are at the receiving end of this more than once from Byakuya.
- Playing with Syringes: Akiyama used a variety of drugs injected in his victims on top of other methods in his experiments.
- Precision F-Strike: While she is prone to use creative swears, Hisana has dropped these when she feels especially heated about something.
- Promotion to Parent: Hisana, at the age of ten, is forced to take on the role of mother for Rukia after their death.
- Rags to Royalty: Hisana goes from a street urchin to a respected and loved healer to a promising but poor Academy student to being courted by a nobleman.
- Rant-Inducing Slight: Two Shinigami of Third Division putting down and treating Hisana's senpai Iemura as a servant rather than an equal and then proceeding to insult the Fourth Division and her occupation.Hisana: I must be stupid then, because I dont. I really, really dont. For some unfathomable reason, you seem to think that our job is easy, that were replaceableworthlessand that you can treat us like shit because of it. But someday, maybe tomorrow, maybe a century in the future, youre going to get hurt. Youre going to get hurt really badly, and youre going to feel yourself bleeding out, and as you suffer in agony trying to keep your innards from falling out, the only thing keeping you from certain death will be a Fourth Division member and chances are, itll be someone you spat on in the past. And unless theyre a freaking saint, theyll remember every single time you made them feel like something less than human, and when you need them the most well Please, help me understand, because Im just not getting it. What could you possibly gain from disrespecting those charged with keeping you alive?
- When Iemura scolds her for it not long after, she proceeds to go off on him as well.Hisana: Avoided, Iemura-senpai? How? By bending your neck like always, letting them walk over you? How is that supposed to help? I know that the Fourth Division isnt a combat squad, but fuck if Im going to let people treat me like dirt because of that. And dont give me that crap about doing our duty or maintaining a respectful professionalism, because there is a difference between being doing your job and letting someone degrade you, and this entire squad does the latter, and its pathetic! I get that the world isnt fair, Im not stupid. Its impossible to get everyones respect and there are always going to be people who are bastards to you no matter what you do, but that doesnt mean that its not wrong, or that you should just accept it! But thats what youre doing, isnt it? Every time you bow your head, or go along with the flow because its the easy way out and let them get away with it, youre telling them that theyre right. That its okay for them to treat you this way. Maybe you have your own way of doing things, but me? I refuse to give anyone permission to disrespect me.
- Finding out the circumstances as to why Hisana was in need of rescue, Gin seems to take offense.Gin: Let me guess what happened. Seein as I found Hisana-chan several hundred meters away from everyone else fightin a group of hollows on her own, and I know she aint stupid enough to wander off by herself for no good reason, Im gonna say that Tsutsui-kun here decided tha this was the perfect opportunity to show off and maybe gain a bit of glory for himself. Only he found himself a bit in over his head and so Hisana-chan had ta bail him out. And in repayment for her savin his life, he decided to turn tail and run like the coward he is, leavin her behind to hold the hollows off. Is that right, Tsutsui-kun?
Tsutsui: That aint true! I didnt leave her behindnot on purpose, at least! I thought she was right behind me the whole time! And youre being unfair, I I didnt go after those hollows because I was stupid, they were gonna reach us any minute anyway and you guys were taking your sweet time coming here, so I thought Id head out and hold them off and yeah, HiI mean, Yukimura-san may have helped me out, and okay, she may have gotten hurt, but she seems to be fine now and besides, I didnt mean to! And who do you think you are, addressing her so familiarly anyway?!
Gin: Oh, this is precious. It all makes so much more sense now. Not that I blame youHisana-chan is quite a catch, after all. Kind, skilled, patient enough ta put up with ya imbecilic ramblin; ya must have been ecstatic ta come along on this mission. And what better way to impress the pretty healer than ta prove your worth by showin her yer strong enough ta protect her?
Tsutsui: Ithats not tr—
Gin: Funny how things turn out, huh? Not only did ya fail ta be the hero, but ya also almost got yer crush killed by attempting ta do so. Ill need ta tell Hirako-taicho ta do a better job screenin the new applicants, because the last time I checked, the Fifth wasnt a place for brainless, pathetic worms to cower in, hidin their weaknesses behind delusions of grandeur. Tell me, because Im dyin ta know how does it feel, as a warrior, ta need a healer ta rescue you? Not only a healer, but an Academy student?
Tsutsui: Whawhat are you talking about? Yukimuras not Yukimuras not an Academy student. Shes got a zanpakuto and everything, and shes part of the Fourth.
Gin: Ah yes, the Fourths newest intern. Unohana-taicho was very quick to snatch her upa masterful move, I must admit. Lookin at her now, youd hardly think she only had around three months of trainin under her, would ya? Which is why Id have been rather upset if ya got her killedstudents with potential are so hard ta come by these days.
Tsutsui: A first year?
Gin: Do be more careful next time, okay, Tsutsui-kun? Wouldnt want a repeat of this incidentflirtin with students, then almost gettin them killed in the field after dependin on them ta cover for you why, that kinda thing would leave a black mark on anyones record. Such a shame and Id heard such good things about your family too. What would they think?
- When Iemura scolds her for it not long after, she proceeds to go off on him as well.
- Really 700 Years Old: Everyone in the afterlife, more or less.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Gin is especially fond of these.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: To a large part, the Shinigami Captains.
- Recruited from the Gutter: How Tatsuya got Hisana and Rukia into his little gang.
- Reincarnation: How Christiana ended up as Hisana in the first place after dying of cancer.
- Rescue Romance: Downplayed, although it evolves into a romance later on, between Hisana and Byakuya.
- Rewarded as a Traitor Deserves: Aoki is killed for betraying Hisana by Akiyama, the one he is betraying her to.
- Right Behind Me: Rukia vents to Renji how she feels coddled by Hisana, only for Renji to urge Rukia to turn around because Hisana is right behind her.
- Sadistic Choice: Akiyama gives Hisana a choice of helping him with keeping his captive Shinigami alive willingly for him to torture further, or having him target her family to have her cooperate.
- Sadist Teacher: Matsushita has definitive shades of this.
- Secret Test of Character: Yoruichi and Kukaku sets one up for Hisana when she and Byakuya start courting.
- Selective Obliviousness: A downplayed version with Hisana, in regards of many sexually suggestive comments.
- Self-Insert Fic
- Shame If Something Happened: Akiyama uses this kind of threat towards Hisana's family combined with one of his men holding Miwa with a knife to her throat to get Hisana to cooperate.
- Shapeshifter: Khimaira, and now Hisana.
- She Cleans Up Nicely: While Hisana is by no means unattractive, when she is dressed up in formal wear by the end of chapter 25, Byakuya finds that there is something almost ethereally beautiful about her and doubts that even the most critical of his clan elders could find anything wrong with her appearance.
- Shock and Awe: Early on in the story, Hisana uses a medical Kido technique to electrocute a man to death.
- Shout-Out:Gin: Ive been lookin for you everywhere.
Hisana: What a coincidence, Ichimaru-san. I have been avoiding you everywhere.
- Side Bet: Happens a lot, nearly always with Yoruichi and/or Kaien being involved somehow.
- So Proud of You: Kaori is proud of Hisanas smiles for dealing with bothersome patients, Yoruichi is proud of Soi-Fon and Byakuya, and Hisana expresses how proud she is of Hanataro, Miwa, and Rukia. And Unohana, to Hisana...Unohana: Handle it? You already have, Hisana. Look around youever since you came, interest in the Fourth Division has skyrocketed, recruitment has increased and as for the healers already here, you've helped them find their pride. Just look at Ayame; she walks with her head held high again. You were able to reach them, connect with them in a way that I couldn't, and for that
Hisana: I just are you sure?
Unohana: They already follow you, haven't you noticed? I doubt our division would even accept anyone else, at this point. That badge was always going to be yours, Hisana. It was just a matter of when.
- Spared by the Adaptation: Kaien, Miyako.
- Stern Teacher: Grumpy-face, aka Niijima.
- Stockholm Syndrome: Akiyama intentionally works to invoke it with Hisana, and one of the Shinigami coming to the rescue of Eiji, Hiro, and Chiyo are worried they have developed this in regards of Hisana.
- Street Urchin: How Hisana and her family in Rukongai all started out.
- Strong Family Resemblance: Hisana and Rukia, as per canon. Also Ichigo and Kaien, which draws Soi-Fon's attention to Ichigo in the hunt for the Visored.
- Sufficiently Analyzed Magic: Hisana develops a love for understanding and experimenting with Kido and Hado.
- Supernatural Gold Eyes: Tenshi no Tsubasa, Hisana's zanpaktou spirit, and later Hisana as Khimaira.
- Supernatural Sensitivity: Each person has a unique reiatsu signature that allows those trained to sense reiatsu keep track of people without relying on seeing them.
- Unohana knows the signature of every member of the 4th Division, which is how she identified Hisana as Byakuya's friend in Rukongai and the one who healed Nakano Rin when she came with Eiji, Hiro, and Chiyo despite Byakuya never telling her Hisana's name.
- Shirai, being a sensor, is extremely sensitive to reiatsu.
- Sweet Tooth: Hisana.
- Sympathy for the Devil: Hisana empathizes with Akiyama and relates to his reasons for his actions, even when she could never agree with his methods.
- Take a Third Option: When Hisana is found out by Shinigami as capable of healing kido, the group of Shinigami was split between killing her and leaving her be, with Hisana instead volunteering to become a Shinigami.
- Team Chef: The role Hisana found for herself in Tatsuya's gang before she grew into the role of the medic.
- Team Mom: Kazuki takes this role after Tatsuya dies, and Hisana often plays this role to those around her. Shinji unwillingly becomes this to the Visored after their escape.
- Teen Genius: Gin. Hisana counts in the eyes of those around her, unaware that she was once Christina.
- Terms of Endangerment: Akiyama uses these towards Hisana as well as flirting with her the entire time they know each other.
- Terrible Artist: Rukia, as in canon.
- They Would Cut You Up: Not only Kurotsuchi, but also Akiyama if you have enough spiritual pressure for him to be interested in you for his experiments.
- Think Nothing of It: Hisana never asked for payment for her healing services in Inuzuri, which only made people more willing to give her things she needs instead of money as repayment.
- Too Dumb to Live: Tsutsui splits from the group, against orders, while fighting all to engage a second group and almost gets killed in the process but also leads to Hisana almost getting killed when she saves him and he runs away. All because he wanted to show off for his crush.
- Too Much Information: Kazuki gives a bit too much information about his and Kaoris sex life when he starts gushing about her in chapter 11.
- Training from Hell: Rukia and Renji's training under Byakuya, and Kaien gives Hisana one to get her ready for the Academy's entrance test. Hisana's training under Niijima. Rukia's training under Soi Fon.
- Tragic Keepsake: Hisana keeps Tatsuya's dagger on her for over fifty years after his death, only letting go of it, and him, in chapter 14 when she kills Akiyama with it.
- Tranquil Fury: If Hisana gets angry, she grows cold.
- Triple Shifter: Hisana, who ends up sleeping only four hours each night.
- Troll: Gin delights in messing with people, especially Hisana.
- True Companions: Hisana and Rukia's family in the Rukongai.
- Villain Takes an Interest: Gin and Aizen takes an interest in Hisana.
- Volleying Insults: A majority of what happens when Hisana and Gin talk to each other.
- Wake-Up Fighting: Chiyo, after her experiences under Akiyama's care.
- Wretched Hive: Inuzuri, which has no real law and only becomes safe for Hisana and her family when Hisana makes herself invaluable.
- Yakuza: Hisana dealt with plenty even before getting stolen away by Akiyama and his yakuza.