Name unknown / Code name: Determinate
Your character who becomes caught up in a conflict with the Liberators and the Acolytes shortly after downloading a game app. Can be either male or female.
- Experience Booster: One of their Liberator skills is the passive ability to increase Experience gained after battle. This makes them the ideal character to run Leveling Quests.
- FaceHeel Turn: In the Alternate Chapter 7, which even requires you to replay part of Chapter 6 to choose the possibility of joining the Acolytes to save your own skin.
- Fond Memories That Could Have Been: The MC who went through the events of the Alternate Chapter 7 is shown what would have happened had they decided to stick with the Liberators, though to make it clear how different the timeline would have been, Jabo shows them a timeline where they're the opposite gender.
- Hello, [Insert Name Here]: They lack an official name.
- Heroic Mime: In true SMT tradition, their personality depends foremost on your actions and decisions.
- Jack-of-All-Trades: Their stat boosting skills don't focus on any specific stats, but rank up twice in every stat. Their other skills also don't favor any type of demons, but are the kinds that help anyone, like increasing MP regeneration or recovering HP.
- Jumped at the Call: They instantly join the Liberators.
- Last of His Kind: The Alternate Chapter 7 ends with you being the last human alive after a nuclear war. Guess shacking up with the Acolytes wasn't such a hot idea, was it?
- Nothing Exciting Ever Happens Here: Thinks about this shortly before getting dragged into a quite a bit of a mess.
- Pyrrhic Villainy: The Interlude shows a bit of the Alternate Chapter 7's Main Character, who has successfully worked out some of the significance behind Vanitas and Aion. A pity they're now alone in a broken timeline.
- Purely Aesthetic Gender: You can choose to play as a male or female. Aside from some slight dialogue changes, there is no difference playing as either. The Interlude shows that the MC that chose the Alternate events of Chapter 7 is the opposite gender of the player's.
- Suddenly Voiced:
- Late in the normal Chapter 7, s/he gets two lines independent of player control. The beginning of battle 15 has them say "Leave it to me!" when tasked with destroying Vanitas, and the end cutscene of battle 16 has them say "Devil Download!" right before killing it once and for all.
- At the end of the alternate Chapter 7, you mutter the word "Aion" after humanity is obliterated.
- During the Intermission, the protagonist you didn't pick is as chatty as any other NPC.
Rika Ryuzouji / Code name: Templar Dragon
A very hard to read ally for the protagonist with whom she works on a certain case.
- Beauty Mark: The mole under her left eye.
- Brutal Honesty: She basically eschews the idea of having any reservations while talking.
- Charged Attack: Her skills can increase the power of Charge and Concentrate skills, which greatly increase the damage of the next attack used (physical and magical, respectively).
- Damsel in Distress: Ends up as one alongside Ririn in Chapter 4, though this doesn't exactly last long; Gakuto's intervention entertains their would-be torturer so much that he puts off doing so.
- Disappeared Dad: Her father was also part of the Liberators, and lost his life while fighting the Acolytes.
- Dual Boss: Fights you alongside Jeng Yun in the alternate Chapter 7.
- Gun Nut: Shows unnerving levels of enthusiasm for firearms. When the Acolytes attack Akihabara in force, she defends the Church of False Gods, all the while pestering Vagit for guns he doesn't have.
- The Gunslinger: Natch. She IS a Gun Nut after all.
- Item Caddy: One of her skills allow her to use items for only half a turn.
- Lightning Bruiser: Her boost to charge skills and the ability to boost all her demon's stats if one of them misses an attack, along with skills that help out healer demons, it's no wonder most players choose her as their go to Dx2.
- Serious Business: Often takes almost anything way too seriously. In her interlude, she, the protagonist and Meat Balloon are lured into a Death Trap in the guise of an Airsoft tournament. She makes it a point to abide by the rules of the game as she takes down the attackers, to her companions' and even the Acolyte organizer's nonplussed stares.
- She's Got Legs: Goes without saying.
Taro Fuse / Code name: Megakin
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: The guy's an enthusiastic internet celebrity, yet he's effective as the leader of Liberators.
- Cool Shades: Wears enormous mechanical goggles.
- Funny Afro: Probably for the sake of increasing viewership, though his interlude reveals that once upon a time he was a potential hip-hop artist.
- An Ice Person: Owns a Level 15 Jack Frost.
- The Leader: For the Tokyo division of Liberators.
- Meta Power-Up: A majority of his Liberator skills don't help much in battle, but they do help in getting demons to join you.
- Uncle Pennybags: His interlude reveals he makes quite a pretty chunk of cash, and he certainly isn't shy about using it to hold a fairly expensive event for a large group of kids. He also financially supported Kazufumi for a while. That said, his resources have limits and he's shown to slightly blanch at the final tab, though he still pays in full.
Shiang Sun / Code name: Chalk Eater
A college student from Shanghai who is studying super computers. He joins your party in Chapter 2.
- Asian and Nerdy: He is a Chinese student specializing in super computers.
- Attack Its Weak Point: His specialty as a Liberator. His skills confer various boons when a demon hits the enemy's weakness, such as status buffs or giving an extra turn.
- Beware the Nice Ones: He's harboring a lot of repressed anger, particularly from parental neglect as a child. In his character story, he briefly becomes victim of demonic possession due to this.
- Nice Guy: Despite his er, grim interests, he's quite laid-back and approachable.
- Making a Splash: Likes surfing, also has Forneus as his primary demon.
- Megane: Wouldn't be the intellectual type without that detail.
- Nightmare Fetishist: While he likes surfing too, he is especially indulgent when it comes to horror movies.
- Playful Hacker: Hacking is one of his hobbies, and a small part of his studies too. When hacking, he occasionally mumbles to himself as if he's a horror movie monster chasing down a hiding victim...
Ririn Ueda / Code name: Eileen
An aspiring author working on a light novel who comes from a poor family. She enjoys cosplay, and works at a swimsuit themed café.
- Big Sister Instinct: Has a younger brother and sister whom she cares deeply for, and is determined to secure a good future for.
- Chivalrous Pervert: Her flirting can be a bit aggressive sometimes, but if you dare lay a finger on a pretty girl she likes you will regret it.
- Damsel in Distress: Ends up one alongside Rika in Chapter 4, though only temporarily. Gakuto's timely intervention entertains her would-be torturer so much that he just puts off doing so.
- Interspecies Romance: In her character story, she ultimately concludes on writing a Girls Love story between a human and a demon. Notably, she also seeks out Leanan Sidhe, as those who become her lovers are granted incredible creative inspiration in exchange for a shortened lifespan, not knowing the latter half of the deal at first. While Leanan Sidhe reciprocated her feelings, Eileen ultimately declined, as she still has much more life to live.
- Lipstick Lesbian: She makes her preference for girls very clear, and has many traditionally "girly" interests.
- Money Fetish: Quite fixated on earning cash, and several of her combat abilities are dedicated to increasing your macca and item gain.
- Money Multiplier: She has the ability to increase Macca gain after battle.
- Odango: She has an odango/pigtails combo going on that brings to mind a certain Pretty Guardian. Considering her interests, it would not be surprising if she took inspiration.
- Random Drop Booster: One of her skills can add one more item drop after battle. This makes her the ideal character for farming Aethers in Strange Signals.
- Randomized Damage Attack: The other half of her skillset specializes in boosting the effects of random target attacks. This includes giving buffs when using them or increasing the number of hits or random attacks.
Jeng Yun Tsai / Code name: Kangaroo Boxer
A member of Liberators who happens to be of Taiwanese descent. Aside from being a martial artist, he is also talented in drawing.
- Action Initiative: His Position Hack skill gives his party a chance to go first even if they're slower than the enemy.
- All Asians Know Martial Arts: To the point that he is actually even seen shadow boxing in the opening.
- Ambiguously Gay: In his character story, when Eileen asks if he's in a relationship with his long-time friend, Vagit, after a somewhat intimate sounding comment, he responds "Together? Hmm... I wouldn't say no if it was on the table!"
- Critical Hit Class: Specializes in going first and scoring critical hits. His skills include increasing critical rate when going first, or giving a speed buff when scoring a critical.
- Dark-Skinned Blond: Has bright blond hair and darker skin than most of the other characters.
- Dual Boss: Fights you alongside Rika in the alternate Chapter 7.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: Has a tattoo of a spider outline on his left arm.
- Foreign Fanservice: Well, nobody is complaining about having a tanned, buff martial artist in the cast...
- Heroic Build: Justified, as he is a martial artist.
- Hunk: Just look at him!
- Muscles Are Meaningful: A young martial artist having an above-average physique is... nothing to be surprised about. So meaningful, in fact that in his character story, he is capable of slaying a demon with his bare hands!
- Narcissist: He is very proud of his well-built physique...
- Never Smile at a Crocodile: Has a Level 10 Ammut when he joins your party.
- Real Men Wear Pink: Wears sandy pink cargo pants. Still easily one of the manlier guys in the game.
- Shameless Fanservice Guy: Taking his shirt off is one of the things listed as his likes. One of his talk animations is even him slowly unzipping his top and staring into the camera!
- Sleeves Are for Wimps: Even when he wears some clothing, he still leaves his muscular arms visible.
- When He Smiles: Downplayed. Even though he usually has a cocky grin, he can also make a surprisingly sweet smile like this◊.
Shiori Koden / Code name: Shionyan
An intellectually gifted high school student, Shionyan is an underground idol whose prickly personality is making it difficult to get her career off the ground.
- Alpha Bitch: Everyone is below her and she really makes a point of letting everyone else know it. All of her fellow Liberators except Gakuto tend to have to suppress the urge to sock her upside the head, whether figuratively or literally.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Her idol routine is cheerful and super sweet, but the second she drops the persona she starts doling out insults.
- Brutal Honesty: Except, unlike Templar Dragon, it's less that she doesn't realize that she's hurting people's feelings, it's more that she just doesn't care.
- Idol Singer: An underground idol, she just hasn't found her fanbase yet. Right...
- Improbably High I.Q.: Her IQ is above 180, and she's not shy to tell you!
- Insufferable Genius: There's no doubt she's very smart, but she thinks of everyone else as beneath her and makes no attempt to hide it.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Ultimately, she fights for the Liberators because it's the right thing to do, and that she does care in her own way, though you'd be hard pressed to get her to admit it.
- Standard Status Effects: Her skills improve their potency, such as increasing Poison damage or increasing the duration of Mute.
- Suicide Dare: Can tell the player to off themselves at the base as a random quip.
Gakuto Inoue / Code name: Meat Balloon
A retired SDF and PMC soldier, Gakuto's recent hobbies have caused him to fall out of shape, but don't let that fool you; he's still a soldier through and through. Also Shionyan's one and only dedicated fan.
- Ascended Fanboy: Imagine his surprise he'd get to work alongside his beloved Shionyan!
- Beware the Silly Ones: It's easy to forget this man has killed people before. When talking about his past, his face takes on a darker look and he speaks much more monotone. On the flipside, when talking about Shionyan, his face lights up, complete with big sparkly cartoon eyes.
- Big Fun: Round, friendly, and quick to help anyone in need.
- Big Damn Heroes: First shows up doing this in Chapter 4, ramming the underground fight club's entrance with a rigged car while the protagonist, Shiang, and Taro are being forced to fight demons by Hayate to entertain said fight club.
- The Big Guy: He's the largest member of the team, and gameplay-wise he's all about tanking the enemy's attacks.
- Critical Status Buff: Some of his skills are more likely to go off the more of his party members are downed.
- Private Military Contractors: He used to be one. Jolly as he may seem, he's one of the few Liberators who has actual military experience.
- Stone Wall: His skills specialize in increasing survivability, like granting defense buff or attack debuff. He also increase the potency of Counter Attacks.
A fung shui master who works with the Liberators and manages the Aura Gate, which is influenced by the Dragon Stream.
- Due to the Dead: After the disastrous Aura Gate expedition, she visits the families of the five members of the Exploration Team and gives them some small help to ease the grief of their family members' passing, while also dealing with an obsessed researcher who was passed over for the same expedition.
- Foreign Culture Fetish: She's Japanese by birth, but utterly captivated by Chinese culture.
- The Medic: Her skills revolve around healing, and she can revive a demon once with 10% HP.
- Optional Party Member: She joins you after you complete the Aura Gate dungeon, instead of progressing through the story.
- Playing with Fire: Her default demon is Feng Huang.
- Situational Sword: Her second set of skills provides bonuses when traversing the Aura Gate, such as revealing parts of the map or reducing MP consumption within.
- Sixth Ranger: Becomes playable after completing the Aura Gate dungeon.
Liberators: other members
An orphaned girl with dark interests and no filter in talking about them, Arisa manages the summoning portal for the Liberators.
- False Reassurance: During the Acolyte attack, she proposes entering the Summoning Portal to Kangaroo Boxer. Surprised, he says he didn't know it was safe. She replies that her parents entered it, screaming and saying how all was lost, and never came out again. Irritated, he discards the suggestion.
- Freudian Excuse: Her obsession with the Summoning Portals stems from having her parents disappear into them.
- Gothic Lolita: Definitely matches this aesthetic.
- Meido: She's wearing a maid outfit any time you see her.
- Parental Abandonment: Her parents disappeared into a Summoning Portal one day and haven't come out of it yet.
A priest from Russia who runs the Church of False Gods underneath the Liberators' hideout. In there you can conduct demon fusion.
- Bishōnen: He's quite a looker. Megakin even introduces him as the team pretty boy.
- Fusion Dance: Enabling you to do this is his primary role.
- Gratuitous Russian: Even after arriving to Japan, he still adds a few Russian words in sentences.
- Humanoid Abomination: He tells Jeng that thanks to the experiments done to him, he's become half demon.
- Recurring Element: Has obvious similarities to the Velvet Room Attendants: blond hair, carries a large book and assists in fusions.
- Sensual Slavs: Downplayed, but he is still easy on the eyes alright.
A history student working as a butler, Kazufumi runs the hideout's shop, where he sells rare and powerful occult items.
- Badass Bookworm: A history student and an overall competent Battle Butler.
- Battle Butler: While he does not battle directly as a Dx2, Kazufumi is quick with spell scrolls and demon traps for anyone foolish enough to attack his shop. Though he still expects someone to pay for them.
- Beauty Mark: The two moles under his right eye.
- Pretty Boy: Leaning somewhere between this and Bishounen.
- Sharp-Dressed Man: Appropriate for a Battle Butler.
A beautiful shrine maiden with surprisingly geeky interests, Himika presides over Pandemonium, an area dedicated to strengthening demons.
- Big Bad: He's the highest-ranking Acolyte shown in the game so far.
- Climax Boss: He's the final enemy of the normal Chapter 7.
- Eco-Terrorist: Natch. He uses violent methods to cause the destruction of humanity because he believes this will save the planet.
- Enemy Mine: In Chapter 7A-9, he teams up with the Liberators for one fight to drive off hostile demons in the Bad Future.
- Evil Is Not a Toy: While he intends to use Vanitas to reset humanity to the Stone Age, it's clear he's toying with forces he can't truly control. In the normal Chapter 7, he is absorbed by Vanitas, while the alternate Chapter 7 reveals Vanitas will completely annihilate humanity, which is going too far even for him.
- Heroic Sacrifice: For a very loose value of the word "heroic". At the end of the alternate Chapter 7, he sacrifices himself to give you the opening to defeat Einherjar.
- Humans Are Bastards: He firmly believes that humans will destroy the planet if given enough time, and wants to use Vanitas to bring humanity back to the Stone Age.
- Hunk: Buff and fairly attractive.
- Nature Lover: To abhorrent extremes.
- Take Up My Sword: At the end of the alternate Chapter 7, he leaves the task of saving the planet and the leadership of the Acolytes in your hands before perishing.
- Tattooed Crook: Has a red tattoo on his upper body.
- The Unfettered: Not exactly picky about his methods to save the planet...
- Walking Shirtless Scene: Zig-Zagged. His shirt is constantly open, showing his abdominal muscles and most of his chest.
- Workout Fanservice: In the opening he is fully shirtless while exercising.
- Big Good: Just about the closest thing the game has to one.
- Bonus Boss: He's the final boss of the Alternate Chapter 7. His main demons (Trumpeter in round 1 and Mastema in round 2) can heal his party each turn, and Mastema also grants a free Luster Candy every turn. He's so damn strong that simply spamming revives with gems is not going to allow you to brute-force your way past him.
- Classy Cane: Goes well with his High-Class Glass.
- Demon Lords and Archdevils: A throwaway line by Ame no Uzume implies he's the demon Mephistopheles; as additional proof, the Mastema he summons in the alternate Chapter 7 has the unique passive Mephisto's Blessing.
- Exact Words: He uses this to justify engaging the Protagonist in the Alternate Chapter 7. He entrusted the choice of the future "to the Liberators". But since the MC has joined the Acolytes, they no longer count, leaving him free to act.
- Greater-Scope Paragon: Has a semi-neutral involvement in the story and his background is a mystery.
- High-Class Glass: Wears a monocle.
- Hypocrite: He claims to give the choice of future to the Liberators... but there's evidence that he allows it at least in part because they are following his own preferred path.
- Nice Hat: Just to make him look even more like an elderly philanthropist straight from the 19th or 20th century.
- Demon Lords and Archdevils: He's actually the demon Astaroth.
- Not So Omniscient After All: The Liberators goad him into admitting that while his omniscience is almost perfect, he can't see the consequences of his own actions, giving them an opening to reject him.
- The Omniscient: Claims to be able to see the futures of everyone.
- We Can Rule Together: Appears to create the first divergence of the story. Agreeing to head over and talk to Joshua peacefully, betraying the Liberators, leads to an alternate version of Chapter 7.