Alice and Bob are in the same class in their prep school. Alice has recently moved chairs to be closer to Bob—and Carol has figured it out. While on break, Carol asks Alice, "You fancy Bob then?" Alice denies it.
"Yes you do!", Carol replies, then goes into the following popular ditty.
- Alice and Bob, sitting in a tree
First comes love
Second comes marriage
Then comes a baby in a baby carriage!
Rather common with the Toy Ship, but can occur elsewhere. Basically, it's Carol teasing Alice and Bob for their crush or relationship.
There are many variations of the song, with several extra verses. If it occurs with adults, the dialogue is usually more "explicit". Compare Mocking Sing-Song.
- Ranma ½: After Ranma makes a sarcastic remark about how Happosai should transfer into their school if he's so jealous of all the time Ryoga and Akane have been spending together to study, Happosai replies:
Happosai: Dont mind if I do, actually. Happy and Akane sittin' in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G!
Ranma: Why, you! Ain't cha never heard of shame?!
Genma: Apparently, not.
- In Digimon Adventure 02, Cody directs this at Yolei in reaction to her increasingly obvious crush on Ken.
- In the Harry Potter Fan Fic sporked here, an adult Sirius Black sings this verbatim about Lupin and his Relationship Sue.
- Nat and Slouchy do this to both Sassette and Snappy when they respectively catch the bouquet and garter at the wedding of Empath and Smurfette in the Empath: The Luckiest Smurf novel (and also in the alternate timeline wedding of Hefty and Smurfette in the story "Hefty, The Luckiest Smurf"), teasing them about how they're supposed to marry each other now that they both caught the bouquet and garter.
"Snappy and Sassette sitting in a tree, s-m-u-r-f-i-n-g. First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes a Smurfling in a baby carriage!"
- Of course, Hefty as a Smurfling does this to Grouchy and Empath in "The Grouchiest Friendship" to taunt Grouchy when he sees Grouchy and Empath constantly with each other, implying Ho Yay.
- In It's Kind of a Funny Story, Humble does this to the two leads, after they come into the Arts room together. Point of reference: He's a senior and they're fifteen.
- In Jack (1996), Phoebe and Jane direct this toward Jack when they see him talking to his teacher, Ms. Marquez, during recess. Marquez responds by taking them to discuss it with their own teacher.
- Ernest Goes To Jail: Chuck sings the tune (Ernest and Charlotte sitting in a tree) when claiming that Ernest (who is Nash wearing Ernest's clothes but not his hat) is in love.
- Greg and Rowley's classmates do this to him in The Film of the Book of Diary of a Wimpy Kid... even though they're both boys.
- In Stephen King's It, a two rich kids recite the rhyme when they see Beverly and Richie together. Beverly flips them off.
- The 1980 Arthur book Arthur's Valentine has this happen when several of the love notes Arthur gets end up spilling out of his jacket. Many of the other schoolkids tease him about this and start singing the rhyme as Arthur retreats.
- Lydia teases Karina about her attraction to Thorn this way in Brotherband, but very sensibly backs off when Karina jokingly threatens her with a carving knife.
- An article in Our Dumb Century reports on Kenneth Star taunting Bill Clinton with this song.
- House: House, Wilson and a clinic patient are watching a baseball game in an exam room when it comes up that our favourite diagnostician has a date with Cameron. Cut to House exiting the room while Wilson and the clinic patient sing: "HOUSE AND CAMERON, SITTIN' IN A TREE, K-I-S-S-I-N-G!"
House: Grow up. And learn to harmonize!
- On The Big Bang Theory, a drunk Bernadette sang it to Amy and Sheldon, but spelled kissing "k-i-s-s-s-s-i-n-g".
- JD and Danny in Scrubs attempt a literal version of this on their first date, but lose balance and fall out.
- In an episode of Married... with Children, Kelly tried to taunt Bud with this song, but she didn't know how to spell "Kissing".
- Jaye and Erik in Wonderfalls engage in some of this before Jaye breaks up with him because she thinks that if she doesn't she'll hurt him.
- Sex and the City Carrie sings this song about Miranda and Steve at one point, though stops to correct herself that first comes baby, then comes love and marriage.
- On Gimme a Break!, when youngest daughter Samantha has her first kiss with a boy, her two sisters sing this at them.
- In the episode "Damaged" of Criminal Minds, JJ begins to sing it about Garcia and Kevin. To Prentiss' shock, Reid is clueless to its meaning.
- Warehouse 13 has one example without the singing. Pete rattles off the first two lines when he finds out that Artie has a crush on a doctor affiliated with the Warehouse. Claudia mentions Pete saying 'something about Artie and a baby carriage' when she contacts him for information while on a mission.
- On a sketch from Horrible Histories that attempted to explain how WWI got started, a British Army captain tries to explain things to his men using an analogy of the countries being "best friends", culminating in two of the soldiers singing "Germany and Austria, sittin' in a tree!"
- The Everybody Loves Raymond episode "Someone's Cranky" features a variation as Robert bitterly calls Debra "perfect":
Robert: Perfect Debra, sitting in a tree, P-E-R-F-E-C-T.
Frank: Hey, that rhymes!
- A more bitter version appears in The New Normal, which is about two gay men trying for a surrogate baby.
Bryan: Bryan and David sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G. First comes love, then comes inability to marry, then comes a stranger with a invasive procedure, then comes the baby in the baby carriage.
- Modern Family, "Yard Sale":
Claire: I just saw Alex and Michael sitting in a tree. Don't make me spell it out for you.
- Boy Meets World: The Matthews family suspects that Topenga may have a crush on Cory to which the younger sister Morgan begins the chant but can't spell kissing instead just recites,
Morgan: Corey and Topenga sitting in a tree, A-B-C-D-E-F-G.
- In the Parks and Recreation episode "How a Bill Becomes a Law", Andy notes that Ron and Diane seem to have hit it off. However, being Andy, he gets a bit distracted:
Andy: Ron and Diane, sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-S-S-I-P-P-I!
- The song appears in the bridge following the second chorus of Extreme's "Play With Me", with a variation: the baby in the baby carriage gets a name, and it's Adam.
- The episode "Broken Window" of Adventures in Odyssey has a particularly humorous take on this, as two of the children tease Connie about her frustration over her boyfriend standing her up:
Alex & Liz: Connie and Mitch, sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S—
Connie: (annoyed) We were just going to talk!
Alex & Liz: Connie and Mitch, sitting in a tree, T-A-L-K-I-N—
Connie: (obviously exasperated) We're not in a tree.
Alex: Connie and Mitch, sitting in a booth—
Mr. Whittaker: And I think you'd better stop now.
Alex: We're just practicing our spelling. S-P-L-L... I mean, S-P-I-L...
- In In the Heights, in the song "Carnaval Del Barrio" in Act 2, Daniela asks Benny if he's "seen any horses, today", having heard that he and Nina "went for a roll in the hay". The whole cast then proceeds to sing said song. With harmonies. In a conga line.
- The Broadway version of Disney's The Little Mermaid has a Hold Your Hippogriffs version. Flounder sings "Ariel and someone swimming in the sea, K-I-S-S-I-N-G!"
- An easter egg in World of Warcraft does this to popular Shipping couple, Thrall and Jaina.
- Left 4 Dead Rochelle an' the biker dude, sittin' in a tree. kay- eye- ess- ess- eye -n g!
- BlazBlue pulls this trope out during the Military Academy flashbacks from time to time with Tsubaki as the Alice, Jin the Bob, and Makoto the Dana. Makoto explicitly says that she "can read [Tsubaki] like a book when it comes to that boy" and that Tsubaki should "drop that good little cadet schtick and just say it".
- In Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (Quest for Booty), Rusty Pete teases Ratchet and Talwyn using this, only...
Pete: Lombax and Markazian sitting in a tree, k-i-s-s-s-i-n- ...huh?
- Early in the last case of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations Maya teases Phoenix this way about Iris.
- In League of Legends, one of Lux's new voice lines gives us this gem:
Lux: Kat and Garen sitting in a tree... and you'd better just be holding hands or I'm telling!
- Yuna from Sandra and Woo sings a slightly adjusted version of the song to embarrass her older brother Cloud after his girlfriend Sandra went home. Cloud's mother Ye Thuza immediately joins in by quoting an embarrassing line from a Cloud x Tifa fanfic.
Cloud: These Cloud x Sandra shippers can get really annoying...
- Let's Destroy The Shagohod!: EVA responds with Naked Snake's closeness with this:
EVA: Snake and The Boss, sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N- [is bitchslapped by Snake]
- The webcomic Cyanide & Happiness did a hilarious parody of this.
- Applegeeks gave us this gem.
- Parodied in The Onion: Starr Taunts Clinton With Humiliating "Sittin' In A Tree" Song
- In A Slap On Titan, Pastor Nick mocks Eren and Mikasa by singing a variation:
Pastor Nick: EREN AND MIKASA,
SITTING IN A TREE,
- The Simpsons:
Samantha and Milhouse sitting in a tree, about to lose their privacy. He-he-he!
- Bart Simpson does a sinister version in the episode "Bart's Friend Falls In Love":
- Homer attempts it in another episode, but trails off after "then comes", muttering to himself "Dammit, I know this!"
- Parodied and combined with Tempting Fate: In The Simpsons' Treehouse of Horror XXVI segment "Wanted: Dead, Then Alive", when Sideshow Bob points a Harpoon Gun at Bart, the kid responds, "Yawn. You couldn't kill me with that thing if I drew an X on my forehead." He then writes an X on his forehead with blue chalk and taunts Bob with, "Bob and a spear gun, sitting in a tree, S-U-C-K-I-N-" Let's just say... it does not bode well for Bart.
- Tucker in Danny Phantom sings this when Danny and Valerie are paired up to take care of a baby flour sack. Valerie rudely interrupts him by shoving his own hat in his mouth. The two weren't on romantic terms then, but it's a nice foreshadowing.
- In an episode of Tiny Toon Adventures, Montana Max has to deal with people singing this when he somehow gets suckered in to going on a date with Elmyra. The mockers include both their classmates who see them at a fast food joint and later the characters in a movie they watch.
- The Replacements:
- The episode where Riley tries to find a girlfriend for Shelton starts with her receiving a fake love letter from Shelton, actually written by Sierra, who taunts her by singing this (with Abby even joining in). Later, when Riley decides "I know what I have to do," Todd actually imagines Riley and Shelton puckering up while sitting on a tree branch and fears she's going to do just that.
- The series finale contains this exchange upon revealing Jacobo and Tasumi's Last Minute Hook Up:
Riley: What are you guys doing here?!
Tasumi: We were up in your treehouse kissing and we heard a commotion—
Todd: Ooooooh! Jacobo and Tasumi sittin' in a tree, K-I-S-S-I—
Tasumi: Yeah, that's what I just said!
- In the Rocko's Modern Life episode "Wallaby on Wheels", Heffer sings this after figuring out Rocko's affection for Sheila, but doesn't bother to spell "kissing".
- The Codename: Kids Next Door episode introducing King Sandy has Numbuh 4 suffer this from Numbuhs 2 and 5 when he says he has to save Numbuh 3 (which he claims is because "she owes me a quarter"). Surrrreee...
- In the episode that introduces Elizabeth, Numbuhs 2 and 4 chant "Nigie and Lizzie sitting in a tree" in full, with Numbuh 1 trying to deny this, much to the anger of Elizabeth.
- In the Kim Possible episode "Partners", Shego sings it to taunt Drakken about his crush on DNAmy.
- Batman Beyond: The episode "Rats" has Terry's little brother saying this about Terry and Dana, but Terry interrupts it at the last minute, throwing one of his shoes at the door.
- An episode of Arthur has Binky taunt Arthur that he might have a crush on Francine, and starts singing the song only to screw up the spelling several times and then give up.
- An episode of SpongeBob SquarePants members of E.V.I.L. go up to Make Out Reef to taunt lovers in their boats.
- E.V.I.L.: John and Nancy sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G.
- X-Men: Evolution has Pietro taunting Lance about his crush on Kitty by saying this but Lance interrupts it at the last minute, as he tries to backhand him but Pietro speeds out of the way and Toad gets hit instead.
- Spider-Man: The Animated Series had a dark version where Harry Osbourne goes insane and sings, "Spider-Man and the Punisher, sitting in a tree! MJ, MJ, MJ and me!"
- Jimmy Neutron has Butch sing this song at Jimmy and Cindy...only to get punched in the stomach by Cindy.