When you're with the
Casagrandes! (mucha vida!)
Casagrandes! (mucha risa!)
Casagrandes! (we're all famiilia!)
The Casagrandes is a Spin-Off of the hit Nickelodeon cartoon The Loud House. The last show of the Nicktoons brand to debut in the 2010s, the series was originally announced as being in development in March 2018, before being officially greenlit in July 2018. The series premiered on October 14, 2019 and is executive produced by Mike Rubiner, who served as story editor on The Loud House prior to becoming showrunner on both productions.
After moving from the suburban town of Royal Woods, Michigan to the larger metropolis that is Great Lakes City, Ronnie Anne Santiago and her family now find themselves adjusting to life in the big city alongside their extended family, the titular Casagrandes. In addition to getting used to her large new family, Ronnie Anne finds herself making new friends such as fellow apartment dweller Sid Chang, and getting into misadventures just as silly as those back in her old stomping grounds.
Before the show's premiere, several episodes of The Loud House had featured the show's cast. "The Loudest Mission: Relative Chaos" introduced the main family; "City Slickers" introduced Ronnie Anne's city friends Casey, Sameer and Nikki; "The Spies Who Loved Me" focused on them; and "The Loudest Thanksgiving" featured them and the Loud family having Thanksgiving dinner together. In addition to all this, the fourth season of The Loud House began with a dedicated five half-hour long miniseries, wherein each episode used a "...With The Casagrandes" naming convention.
Principal voice cast includes Izabella Alvarez (Westworld) as Ronnie Anne, Carlos PenaVega (Big Time Rush) as Bobby, Roxana Ortega (The League) as Frida, Carlos Alazraqui (The Fairly OddParents!) as Carlos, Alexa Vega (Spy Kids) as Carlota, Jared Kozak (Born This Way) as CJ, Alex Cazares (The Boss Baby: Back in Business) as Carl, Ruben Garfias (East Los High) as Hector, Sonia Manzano (Sesame Street) as Rosa, and Sumalee Montano (Nashville) as Maria. Additional cast members include Eugenio Derbez (Overboard) as Dr. Santiago, Ken Jeong (Dr. Ken) as Stanley Chang,Leah Mei Gold (Legion , Coop & Cami Ask the World) as Sid Chang, and Melissa Joan Hart (Clarissa Explains It All) as Becca Chang.
The Casagrandes contains examples of:
- Actor Allusion:
- Sonia Manzano, who did Maria on Sesame Street, once again voices a Latina character in a kids' show, Rosa.
- Carlos Alazraqui, who voiced Walden on Wow! Wow! Wubbzy!, voices another nerdy character with glasses on a Nickelodeon cartoon.
- Melissa Joan Hart voices another blonde character in a Nickelodeon show after Clarissa. Likewise, Carlos PenaVega also returns to Nickelodeon.
- Adaptational Nice Guy: Ronnie Anne is much less grumpy and more friendly in the spinoff, as well the miniseries in season 4 of the main show.
- Best Friend: Sid Chang, introduced in "Friended!", is Ronnie Anne's new friend in the city, and the two are pretty much inseparable following that episode.
- *Crack!* "Oh, My Back!": Mr. Nakamura suffers this in "Walk, Don't Run".
- Expository Theme Tune: The theme song explains the premise of the show.
- Gratuitous Spanish: Given that the family is Hispanic, Spanish words are sprinkled throughout the episodes, as well as in the theme song.
- Halloween Episode: "Halloween Haunts" focuses on Ronnie Anne and Sid trying to have a good time for their first Halloween in the city. It doesn't go that well.
- Hidden Depths: Carlos gets some in "Going Overboard", where he is revealed to have been a skateboarder in college, as skateboarding was the most efficient way to get around campus.
- Injured Limb Episode: In "Going Overboard", the series' first episode, Carlos injures his leg when he tries to teach Ronnie Anne some of his skateboard tricks.
- Quirky Household: The Casagrandes, much like the Louds, are shown to be a large, wacky family with a lot of heart throughout the miniseries and this show.
- Secret Keeper: Ronnie Anne and Carlos become this to each other in "Going Overboard". When Carlos finds Ronnie Anne skateboarding at night, he decides to skateboard with her, and so they decide not to tell each other's secrets because Maria doesn't want Carlos to skateboard anymore.
- Spin-Off: Of The Loud House.