Share your diary with the world or have to eat it for your lunch?
Sing out of tune to your friends or trip and fall into your crush?
Shave your head, paint it red, or use your dog's toothbrush?
We need a little Q&A
Come on Wratherheads, play along!"
It is about a BrotherSister Team named Coop (Dakota Lotus) and Cami Wrather (Ruby Rose Turner) who make inane decisions by crowdsourcing opinions from their millions of followers (dubbed "Wratherheads") on their online web channel.
Other characters include their older sister Charlotte, who tries to stay away from their web show, Coop's quirky best friend Fred, their little brother Ollie, and their single mother Jenna.
The series was greenlit on May 4, 2018, and premiered on October 12, 2018. Season 2 premieres on October 5, 2019. Multiple shorts featuring the main cast, as well as cast members of other Disney Channel shows participating in "Would You Rather" type challenges have been released. Whether or not it will be integrated into the DCLAU remains to be seen.
Coop & Cami Ask the World contains examples of:
- Acme Products: Gary's has had many businesses and supplied various things to Coop and Cami.
- Alliterative Name/Alpha Bitch: Minty Matheson
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents: Mrs Wrather has this in spades.
- Ambiguous Disorder: It's never specified what's wrong with Ollie, but he shows a lot of behavior indicative of a mental illness such as comically poor judgement, exhilaration through breaking his mom's rules, and abnormal habits.
- Later episodes start implying he may be a low functioning sociopath with behaviors like flat out admitting he doesn't have a conscience and admitting to only liking a girl to get special favors from her parents.
- Apologetic Attacker: In "...Lose a Luau", after winning a major hockey game right after having his worst day, Coop decides to try and relive the day exactly as it happened before. Unfortunately, he accidentally spilled milk on Charlotte the first time, meaning the next time, he had to do it again, but apologizes to her before spilling it on her.
- Beleaguered Assistant: Pam, Cami's "intern." She eventually quits in "... Catch an Evil Bunny" and vows to get revenge on Cami.
- Blatant Lies: In "...Take a Worm Shower", after Coop catches Fred out with a friend when Fred said he was visiting with his grandfather, Fred just introduces his friend as his grandfather and treats him as such in front of Coop.
- BrotherSister Team: None other than Coop and Cami.
- Butt-Monkey: Name a time something hasn't gone wrong for Fred, or a time he's not being treated as the punching bag.
- Christmas Episode: First season had "... Get a Moose Angry?"
- Second season had "... Lose Your Presents?"
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Ollie
- Cami's friend Delaware
- Continuity Nod: Ten items in the Lost and Found box at the ice skating rink came from previous episodes.
- Cool Big Sibs: Coop and Cami are this to their little brother Ollie.
- Deadpan Snarker: Cami and Ollie are both this, usually towards Fred. To be fair, he does give them plenty of opportunities for snark.
- Disappeared Dad: Coop and Cami's father passed away long before the events of the series.
- "Do It Yourself" Theme Tune: The theme song is sung by Dakota Lotus and Ruby Rose Turner, who play Coop and Cami.
- Drop-In Character: Fred, apparently, according to his character bio.
- Dumb Jock: Dixon, Coop's hockey teammate in "...Live in an Igloo?" has shades of this as he needs Charlotte to tutor him in Chemistry to pass his test and be able to continue playing hockey. This was an issue as Charlotte thought of him as a "dopey meathead" before she got to know him and he found out.
- Dumpster Dive: In "...Lose a Luau", Cami and Delaware have to go into a school dumpster as they try to find the envelope of money Cami lost. Cami laments that it was sloppy joe day.
- Extracurricular Enthusiast: All the Wrather kids bar Ollie, and yet they all manage to have good grade
- Charlotte works as a waitress, is on the debate team, is a singer for an a capella group, is president of the environmental club, and is a student ambassador.
- Coop is a junior firefighter, runs a popular podcast, has a boating license, is in the same a capella group as Charlotte, and is a star on his hockey team.
- Cami is class president, runs the same podcast, is the captain of her dance team, and holds the school record in archery.
- FaceHeel Turn: In "...Catch an Evil Bunny?", the person who was stealing the Would You Wrather ideas was revealed to be Pam.
- Family Theme Naming: All of the Wrather children except Ollie have names that begin with C.
- Free-Range Children: In "Would You Wrather Catch A Fish" 13 year old Cooper was allowed to take a boat out with Fred and his younger brother Ollie. Even if he had a boating license, he should've been with an adult.
- Feud Episode: The subplot of "...Trash a Friend" has one occur between Cami and Ollie.
- Gender-Equal Ensemble: The Wrather children. There are two boys (Coop and Ollie) and two girls (Cami and Charlotte).
- Generation Xerox: Doubly subverted in the third episode. Coop thinks he has inherited his father's handyman skills by fixing things around the house. However, Cami is actually the one who is cleaning up after Coop's messy "fixes", not wanting to tell him he didn't get his father's talents. Ultimately, their mother admits that his father was actually bad at fixing things and she always had to call professionals to fix her husband's "fixes."
- Gone Horribly Right: In "...Get High Honors", Cami is trying to add more drama to her documentary on the Glamtronics in which both Charlotte and Coop belonged, but that drama caused to the break up of the group. Cami then had to work to get them back together at the risk of a bad grade.
- Hate Sink: Minty Matheson
- Idiosyncratic Episode Naming: All episodes follow the pattern "Would You Wrather [insert episode theme here]?".
- Jerkass/Unsympathetic Comedy Protagonist: All of the central characters have their moments (Special mention goes to Cami, Charlotte, Fred and Mrs. Wrather.)
- Jerkass Has a Point: In "...Move to Canada", while Cami went overboard with her retribution of her neighbor, he was absolutely in the wrong for using his leaf blower at 5 AM, waking up Cami in the process. In most localities, this is covered by noise ordinances.
- Charlotte's frustrations with Coop & Cami's livestreams are quite reasonable given how often they invade her privacy while doing them.
- Pam actually comes off as more sympathetic than Cami in their rivalry given how she was robbing Pam of her childhood by making her be her assistant and not paying her.
- Logo Joke: Used every episode with the Bugliari/McLaughlin Productions card. Originally had Ollie say "Wheeeeee!", this later changed to a random voice clip from the episode played.
- Meaningful Name: Their last name, Wrather, relates to how the two main characters run a "Would You Rather" web show.
- The Moving Experience: Coop thinks his friend Peyton is moving to Canada. Turns out her family sold their house and moved a few blocks away to Canada Street.
- Name and Name: Half of the title, anyway.
- Odd Name Out: Ollie's name doesn't begin with a C.
- Once per Episode: Coop and Cami film a livestream of their show every episode, with at least one "would you rather" post depending on the situation.
- Only Known by Their Nickname:
- Coop and Cami's real names are Cooper and Cameron respectively, but no one but their mom calls them that.
- Cami's friend Delaware's first name is actually Arizona. How she was so nicknamed is not stated.
- Parent with New Paramour: Jenna starts dating Coop and Cami's principal in the first episode. They have been together through the first season with problems occurring from keeping home and school life apart, particularly when people start to see Coop as the principal's best friend, to Cami becoming scared that he is replacing her deceased father when she finds him in her father's sweater.
- The Perfectionist: Charlotte, according to her character bio on Disney-ABC Press.
- Room Escape Game: The plot of "Would You Wrather Escape?" was to again try to break their record of escaping the escape room contest.
- Scout-Out: In "...Catch a Fish?", it is revealed that Charlotte used to be in the Clover Scouts. Cami wants to join only to to compete in a robotics competition and have a chance to win a trip to New York.
- Security Blanket: It is revealed in "Would You Wrather Have a Hippo?" that Cami still loves her stuffed hippo enough to humilate herself to get it back.
- Suddenly Always Knew That: The show has a really bad tendency to tack on new skills to the characters every few episodes when it's convenient for the plot. Such Peyton being a good dancer with no prior experience, Cami having excellent archery skills, Ollie knowing how to make cakes like the ones seen on CakeBoss, or Cooper training to be a Junior Firefighter.
- Tagalong Kid: Ollie.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Charlotte wasn't that bad in season 1, just flustered with her strange family and constantly being embarrassed by them. In Season 2, she would occasionally go out of her way to torment her siblings even when they didn't provoke her.
- In Season 2, Ollie went from weird, Innocently Insensitive, and occasionally snarky to malicious, self-centered, and his weirdness was genuinely destructive.
- Two-Timer Date: Coop inadvertently does this with his crush, Peyton, and his Mom, who he asked to the Fall Ball so that she wouldn't go on a date with his principal.
- Undying Loyalty: According to his bio, Fred is forever loyal to Coop and Cami.
- We Will Meet Again: Pam says this in "...Catch an Evil Bunny?" after the Wrathers discover her and vows revenge on Cami for using up all her free time to be her assistant.
- Wham Line:
Manny: We're not adding Charlotte. We just say we are so we can promote our concert on Would You Wrather.
- From "... Have Potato Pants", Coop and Cami overhear Manny talking to the Glamtronics after Charlotte's audition was rescheduled, and he happens to deliver this...
Fillmore Girls' Leader: (to Tara) We came to drop off your jacket. You left it at our auditions yesterday.
- From "...Be the Weakest Link":
- Worst. Whatever. Ever!: Ollie in "...Help a Wrather?" when the others clean him up as a human car wash.Ollie: Worst Would You Wrather ever!
- Writers Cannot Do Math: In "... Escape", it was revealed that the lighthouse project that Ollie turned for his second grade class was also used by his siblings three, four, and five years earlier. However, if the others turned in the project for the same grade/class, that would make Cami 10-11, Coop 11-12, and Charlotte 12-13. The project didn't look like it was made for a fourth or fifth grade class, which would work better for their ages.