In fiction, this is commonly one of the worst nightmares for students: their bachelor/bachelorette parent dating one of their teachers. Even worse, their teacher becoming their step-parent. Even if the teacher is a Cool Teacher, it's usually awkward and embarrassing to be involved in their student's personal lives. Many students don't even think of them as actual individuals.
Teacher/Parent Romance occurs when a teacher courts, or at least falls for, the parent of one of their students. In some areas and time-periods, it's against the law, or at least is socially unacceptable to do so, leading to either a Secret Relationship or waiting until the child is no longer the teacher's student.
- In the second chapter of Sweet Guilty Love Bites, "Guilty Love", the single mom Nina starts going out with her daughter Ryuna's preschool teacher Mayu. Ryuna is quite happy with the arrangement, however.
- Inverted (that is, a teacher's parent marrying one of his students) in UQ Holder!, where it was revealed that Negi's father married Eva post-Mahou Sensei Negima!.
- This 1950's comic from Charlton romance comic Sweethearts #86, about a schoolteacher falling in love with the single father of one of her students.
- Les Choristes has prefect Clement Mathieu falling for Morhange's mother, Violette. Unfortunately...
- In Pay It Forward, the kid hero manages to pair his Single Mom Stripper with his Cool Teacher.
- Alles Is Liefde: Dennis cheats on his wife with the teacher of their son, Sarah; upon discovering this, his wife dumps him. During most of the movie he's still together with the teacher but at the end, he ends the relationship with her and goes back to his wife.
- Gifted has Cool Uncle Frank (played by Chris Evans) take custody of his niece Mary, a Child Prodigy. When Mary start school, she wows her teacher Bonnie who then gets to know Frank and one thing leads to another. The situation culminates when Mary sees her teacher coming out of Frank's bedroom after the two got drunk and had a one-night-stand.
- The Princess Diaries: Mia's mother starts dating her math teacher, much to Mia's disdain. She warms to them eventually, and they have a baby together by the sequel.
- In Animorphs, Marco's father marries his math teacher.
- In The Princess Diaries Mia's Mom marries her math teacher Mr. Gianini.
- Percy Jackson and the Olympians: Percy's mother Sally starts dating his English teacher Mr. Blofis, though in this case they started dating before he became Percy's teacher. They eventually get married and have a daughter together.
- On Full House, Danny starts dating DJ's Spanish teacher in one episode after DJ asks him to appeal to her about her failing grade and the two of them find that they have a mutual attraction. While it doesn't end up working out long-term, it does completely distress DJ for the duration of it.
- In The Andy Griffith Show, Andy starts dating Opie's teacher Helen Crump, who later became her mother and Andy's wife. Opie never really had a problem with Andy dating her but was actually happy.
- In the Shake It Up! episode "Sweat It Up", Georgea goes on a date with CeCe's gym teacher, Coach Lessor. CeCe is disgusted by this at first, but then sees it as a saving grace when Lessor considers letting CeCe off the hook for faking an injury earlier in the episode. It ends up backfiring, however, when the date goes very badly making Lessor even harsher on CeCe than before.
- Hannah Montana:
- The episode "When You Wish You Were The Star" has an Alternate Universe where Miley/Hannah's father Robbie Ray is in a relationship with her former homeschool teacher, who the audience can see turns out to be a Gold Digger and Evil Stepmother in the making for Hannah.
- An actual canon episode has Jackson set up his father Robby Ray with his grumpy teacher, Ms Kunkle, to get an A in school. Unfortunately for Jackson, the relationship ends very quickly when Ms Kunkle critices Robby Ray for not adding taragon to his chilli recipie.
- In the first season of Gilmore Girls, Lorelei starts dating Max Medina who is her daughter Rory's English teacher at preppy Chilton Academy. They try to keep it secret, but later date openly and even get engaged. Lorelei then breaks it off just a few days before the wedding, which is very awkward for Rory and Max.
- Subverted in Veronica Mars. Veronica's father Keith starts getting friendly with her guidance counselor, but he decides to break it off when it becomes clear that Veronica is not past her Missing Mom yet.
- Degrassi: The Next Generation: In the second season, Emma's mother Spike starts dating her teacher Mr. Simpson (who is also an old high school crush of Spike's). Emma is initially perturbed, but gets over it. Later, Snake and Spike wed, and Emma and Snake become a very devoted stepfather/stepdaughter combo.
- Played with on iCarly No mention is made of Carly's mom and her dad is overseas, her adult brother, Spencer, acts as her guardian. In "iHave a Lovesick Teacher", Carly's teacher, Ms. Ackerman becomes a Sadist Teacher when her boyfriend dumps her. During a conference, she and Spencer hit it off and start dating, which is okay with Carly since it makes Ms. Ackerman much more pleasant. However, she freaks out on Spencer when he doesn't answer his phone, causing Spencer to dump her for this and other reasons.
- The controversial Facebook-only Chilean webcomic Super MILF (not to be confused with the Spinnerette superheroine), a redhead beautiful woman in her 40s that's sexually free and also fights against injustice (mostly from "social warriors"), has one comic in which she hangs with his son's teacher, being sadly discovered by the kid after the school.
- Whateley Universe:
"During the tour you were so kind as to give me, I met a, um, large ... teacher ... in your engineering department. I think cars were his speciality ...? "..."Melvin Donner?" Mrs. Carson [...] "What about him?"Is he seeing anyone?""I don't believe Melvin is romantically involved, why?" Mrs. Carson asked with a gimlet eye."My second condition is I want his phone number."
- Mischief, who is a student at Whateley Academy, has her dad and her mentor and art teacher falling in love, and they knew each other before she became a teacher, as well.
- Tansy's mom, Marissa Walcutt nee Dawson and Hot Rod, a.k.a Melvin Donner, as seen in then end of The Banshee's Tale:
- Dream Daddy: One of the possible love interests, Hugo, is your daughter Amanda's English teacher. Amanda takes it in stride though, and is as supportive of your relationship with him as she would be with any of the other love interests.
- In the episode "Keen on Keane" of The Powerpuff Girls, Miss Keane and Professor Utonium begin dating. They're an annoyingly cutesy couple who ultimately end up breaking up because the Professor hates cats.
- Will's mother in W.I.T.C.H. ends up dating one of her teachers, much to her embarrassment. They end up getting married in the comics.
- Played with in My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic. Apple Bloom's parents are heavily implied to be deceased however her two adult siblings, Applejack and Big McIntosh, act as parent substitutes. For Hearts and Hooves Day, Apple Bloom and her friends try to hook up Big Mac with their teacher Cheerilee using a love potion. It works, but a little too well, so they end up splitting them apart.
- Strickler from Trollhunters is a changeling troll who works as a teacher. He ends up falling for Jim's mom, Barbara, who is unaware of his true form.
- In the Disney episodes of Doug, Patti's father began dating the school English teacher, Ms. Krystal. Patti was not initially thrilled, partly because it interfered with the bond she had with her dad, and because she still missed her mother. She eventually warmed up to the idea, and Patti's father and Ms. Krystal got married in the series finale.