Bizaardvark is an American sitcom created by Kyle Stegina and Josh Lehrman that premiered on Disney Channel on June 24, 2016. The series follows Frankie (Madison Hu) and Paige (Olivia Rodrigo), two teenage best friends who post funny songs and comedic videos on the Internet. After hitting 10,000 subscribers on their Vuuugle channel Bizaardvark (a portmanteau of the words "bizarre" and "aardvark"), they are accepted into the Vuuugle studios, where they make their videos while also having to share them with other "Vuuuglers".
The third season premiered on July 24, 2018, with two new additions to the cast- Maxwell Simkins as Zane and Elie Samouhi as Rodney, as well as having a summer theme to the series, Paige and Frankie becoming mentors and big sisters to Zane and Rodney, as well as the move from the Vuuugle building to the Vuuugle House for the summer.
The series ended on April 13, 2019, after three seasons over three years.
Bizaardvark provides examples of:
- Almost Kiss: In the climax of A Killer Robot Christmas, Bernie and Amelia are about to kiss when Paige interrupts, delivering the news that the robot is destroyed.
- And Show It to You: In "Unboxing", Frankie practices doing this after joining Paige's mixed martial arts program. When Paige later considers telling Frankie that she doesn't want to practice with her, she has an Imagine Spot wherein Frankie screams hysterically before ripping out Paige's still-beating heart.
- Appointment Television: The B-plot for "Promposal Problems", where Dirk does not like it when Ameila and Viking Guy spoil the finale of Cali Beach High before he can even watch it with his brother that weekend. When he finally does watch it and was ready to dish, Amelia and Viking Guy end up spoiling the next show that replaced it- Zombie Beach High, making Dirk give up in frustration. The moment Dirk said to them that they can say any spoiler to him, it ends with this:Viking Guy: I'm going out with your mom next weekend!
* Amelia and Horse Face Guy gasp, and Dirk runs away screaming*
- Birthday Episode: "Paige's Birthday Is Gonna Be Great" for Paige.
- Bread, Eggs, Breaded Eggs: What started Bizaardvark. Frankie would later mention this as calling it a Portmanteau and a Wombo, both in Season 3.Frankie: Okay, we need a name for our channel.
Paige: Let's just go through the alphabet. "A", aardvark.
Frankie: "B", bizarre.
- Brutal Honesty: Near the end of "Softball: The Musical", Viking Guy and Paige did this to Dirk, the latter making Dirk cry. Frankie was this too when she told Dirk that his brownies were too chocolaty (Which in a flashback, did made Dirk cry). Frankie's response to Paige reminding her about what she did?Frankie: *chuckles* He cried.
- Catchphrase: Dirk has "Here we go!" and "Dareheads".
- Christmas Episode: "Agh, Humbug" and A Killer Robot Christmas.
- Cool Big Sis: In season 3, Amelia tries to be that for Willow while Paige and Frankie become this (in spirit) to Zane and Rodney.
- Creator Backlash: In-Universe - Moosetashio causes this for Paige and Frankie in "Moosetashio: A Cautionary Tale."
- Disproportionate Retribution: Victor's plan to break up Bizaardvark in both "The Collab" and "In Your Space!", for no reason other than to get the funniest channel on Vuugle, but at the same time, destroy Paige and Frankie's friendship. When they point out the ludicrous expenses in money for his second attempt, he responds that the cost was worth it.
- And they're not the only ones that he did this to, every comedy channel that joined Vuugle was destroyed shortly after their arrival.
- Distaff Counterpart: Dirk has one in Dare Me Girl (real first name: Pam) in "Control + Alt + Escape!".
- The Ditz: Nearly every character in the show is lacking in the brain department, but out of all of them, Amelia has more common sense.
- "Do It Yourself" Theme Tune: Both Madison Hu and Olivia Rodrigo sing the show's opening, appropriately titled, "Let's Go Make Some Videos".
- Ironic Echo Cut: All of these three ironically, in season three, all by Amelia.
Amelia: They love us! They love us!
- One happens in Friend Fight!:
(Cut to later)
Amelia: They hated us! They HATED us!
Willow: With you in charge, it's gonna be the best birthday ever!
- Another In House Band:
Amelia: You know it is, I know exactly what I'm gonna do and you're gonna love it!
(Later, to Frankie)
Amelia: I have no idea what I'm gonna do and she's gonna hate it!
Amelia: So, do you love it?
- A third in Paige's Way vs. Frankie's Way, when Amelia makes a burlap dress for Willow:
Willow: I love it so much.
(Later, wearing the dress for Frankie)
Willow: I hate it so much!
- It Makes Sense in Context / Makes Just as Much Sense in Context: What Paige and Frankie's funny videos are about.
- Just Friends: Amelia's thoughts about this in "In Your Space!" when Bernie tells her how he feels. Except Bernie thinks the wrong way after she said that's how she feels.
- Last Episode Theme Reprise: Happens at the end of the Grand Finale, combined with Waxing Lyrical by Paige and Frankie, followed by a soft instrumental version of the theme song as it ends.
- Lyrical Dissonance: The music video "Oops, Wrong Emoji". The melody is bouncy and upbeat, when the mood and message of the song itself is about resulting in various disasters.
- Meaningful Rename: When Amelia learns of her sister Willow's change of image and accepts it, she changes Perfect Perfection to Imperfect Imperfection to focus on the flaws that make one unique.
- My Beloved Smother: Paige's mother Gina in "Mom! Stop!", but she decided to loosen up a bit at the end.
- Nice Character, Mean Actor: Actor Amelia and Actor Bernie in the Grand Finale. They act as friends to Paige and Frankie on their show, but off-camera theyre dismissive and mean. Double points for Actor Bernie being a Mean Brit.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: Viking Guy always ruins Paige and Frankie's attempt to lie to Dirk about not him not being in the softball team in "Softball: The Musical."
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Amelia's little sister is named Sarah, but she changed her name to Willow to avoid being compared to her.
- Opening Credits Cast Party: Made to even look like it's a Youtube video, complete with a "Skip Ad" part parody. And to end the opening, Bernie... is late to it all!Bernie: And I- ah, I missed it! *leaves in annoyance while the laptop closes, ending the opening sequence*
- In season 3, it's shortened, but replacing Dirk with Zane and Rodney.
- Pilot Episode: "First!"
- Real After All: Becky, the friend Frankie and Paige assumed that Amelia made up in Best Friend Tag, turns out to actually exist near the end of the episode.
- Secret Test of Character: When Dirk and Bernie learn how wealthy Amelia is and it has a negative effect on their friendship, she gives each a 10,000 dollar check in order to negate the problem. Dirk decides their friendship is more important then money and destroys the check. Bernie on the other hand, fakes destroying his check and immediately goes to cash it at the nearest bank. the checks were only props. Amelia anticipated Bernie's greed and thought it would be highly entertaining to watch him try to use it. She and Dirk get to watch him taken to jail for bank fraud.
- Ship Tease: Bernie and Amelia. Dropped in the third season after it's later revealed in the penultimate episode that Bernie's grandma Roz and Amelia's father Red ends up getting married to each other.
- Shouldn't We Be in School Right Now?: One has to wonder how Paige and Frankie have time to be in Vuuugle, but sometimes they are seen in school (Albeit a prep one in season one and a regular high school in season two) and yet either faculty ever questions this. Inverted in season 3, in the apropriately named episode "Summer Schooled," where we learn that Frankie AND Paige both failed chemistry, because they had accidentally ripped up their final projects during a video.
- Shout-Out: Dirk does a Rider Break in "Control + Alt + Escape!", as part of a dare-off against Dare Me Girl to see who would rescue Paige, Frankie and Amelia first.
- Dirk and Viking Guy accidentally breaking the mic with their voices while one-upping each other bout how they love romantic comedies in a Vuuugle segment in the episode "Softball: The Musical" brings to mind the Memetic Mutation about Toshiyuki Morikawa's infamous "Breaking the mic while shouting VOLTEKKA" incident during the recording of Tekkaman Blade.
- Sixth Ranger: Zane and Rodney (and to extent, Amelia's little sister Willow) become this to the main cast in season 3.
- Special Guest: Most of them are internet celebs in some episodes. JoJo Siwa, Lilly Singh, and Thomas Sanders to name a few. The episode "Spring Break Digital Video Spectacular" has Four internet celebs (Annie Leblanc, Jordyn Jones and Johnny & Lauren Orlando) guesting on the same episode!
- Sure, Let's Go with That:Amelia: Frankie Wong and Paige (pauses) Wong.Paige Olvera: Sure, let's go with that.
- Surprise Party: Frankie goes to great lengths to give Paige one after the latter is falling to disappointment in, appropriately enough, "Paige's Birthday Is Gonna Be Great".
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Frankie is less willing to get dolled up than Paige (though she herself isn't at Amelia's level), and until the episode "Pretty-Con" is dead set against it.
- Trash the Set: Early on in Season 2, Dirk and crew destroy the hot chocolate bar and it is later converted into a new office for Liam.
- Troubled Fetal Position:
- When Frankie just can't get the dance step rights during their limited studio time, she ends up in this position at Paige's feet.
- Frankie walks in on Amelia in the middle of this after Frankie's puzzling request for a sideways cake for Paige's birthday.
- The Watson: Paige and Frankie both serve this role, essentially for any viewer who aspires to be a social media star. Typically as they're introduced to the world of internet fame, Amelia takes a mentoring role to explain common tactics and essential steps to gaining a following.
- Waxing Lyrical: Done by Paige and Frankie in the Grand Finale, followed by a Last Episode Theme Reprise as mentioned above:Paige: Let's go make some videos.
Frankie: (shaking a bale of hay) Hay! Hay!
- Wins by Doing Absolutely Nothing: Paige and Frankie only win against Vicki in "Bizaardvark vs. Vicki 'Hot Head' Fuego" this way other than trying to evade her attacks due to Bernie shooting the T-Shirts towards Vicki by error instead of to the viewers buying the shirts.
- Yank the Dog's Chain: In Yes and No, Amelia tries doing an outtake for her channel to attract viewers, which she finds increasingly difficult. Then she finally gets one by sitting down and farting which Bernie gets on camera, only to lose it when he accidentally tosses the camera into a deep-fryer.