Created by Tom Andre, A Slap On Titan is one of the Attack on Titan Abridged series. This series exaggerates some of the character's traits, like Eren's grudge against Titans (and his anger in general), Mikasa's feelings for Eren (as well as being the only Asian), Jean becoming a literal French Jerk, and so on. Armin, however...
Eren is not happy when he finds out that his mother, Carla, was more promiscuous than he was led to believe as a child. After the Titans invade Shiganshina, he declares that his mother was "pure" until that day, when the Colossal Titan appeared and destroyed Wall Maria and that the Titans are to blame for his mother's promiscuity, despite the fact that it had occurred YEARS before. He also really hates the fact that Hannes could be his potential father and does not like gingers. After Armin's grandfather dies, and Armin, Mikasa, and Eren become orphans, Eren decides to join the military to avenge his mother (and Armin's abusive grandfather), Mikasa joins to look after Eren, and Armin joins because he wants to see death.
The series can be found here.
Season 2 premiered March 28th, 2015.
It's also notable that this series uses nearly entire episodes, rather than several at a time, or cutting one episode down to several minutes.
Tropes Featured In A Slap On Titan:
- Accidental Public Confession: Eren accidentally told his training unit that his mother was a whore.
- Action Girl: Mikasa, and to a lesser extent, Annie.
- The Alcoholic: Pixis, to the point where he vomits on the entire gathering midway through a Rousing Speech and is incapable of providing testimony for Eren's defence at the trial because he can't remember the Battle of Trost.
- Everyone in the Levi Squad drinks heavily as a coping mechanism.
- Alcoholic Parent: Armin's grandfather strikes again.Armin: I wanted the flask where he kept his angry juice.
- All Asians Know Martial Arts: Everyone thinks Mikasa knows karate, or Kung Fu, or whatever.
- All Men Are Perverts: The only way Mikasa could convince everyone to get to safety in Trost was to promise to have sex with the first one that made it to the castle.
- To be fair, it worked on all the women, too.
- All Women Are Lustful: It wasn't long after Eren was eaten that Mikasa moved on to what she called the "Casanova Titan." Season 2 reveals that Krista regularly hosts all-girl orgies that a large portion of the female cast partakes in, as well.
- Ambiguous Gender: Armin, to Reiner at least. Reiner even hits on him when they first meet.
- Bad Boss: Levi considers a great tea party with his squad to be no one talking back when he sits there and insults all of them. He's also abusive to Eren and treats Petra like crap.
- Berserk Button: Titans for Eren, as well as Hannes being his potential father (or Gingers, in general).
- Big Brother Attraction: Mikasa towards Eren.
- Big Eater: Sasha even more then the original series, to the point she questions if she can eat the Titan vomit.
- Broken Pedestal: Eren eventually gives Levi a massive "The Reason You Suck" Speech after all the crap Levi puts them through.
- By the Eyes of the Blind: Only Eren can hear titans talk.
- Butch Lesbian: Ymir constantly hits on Krista.
- Captain Oblivious: Sasha thinks that storks bring people their children. Interestingly she does apparently know how sex works - the same episode has her offer herself to Krista in exchange for food - just not that children result from it.
- Catchphrase: "POUNDTOWN", for Reiner. "Pixis Likes" and "Call me Pixis" for Dot Pixis.
- Characterization Marches On: After the Trost Arc, Jean has mostly moved away from being a smarmy douchebag with dreams of imperialism and become more of a beleaguered Only Sane Man. Though this could be chalked up to spending most of his time stuck with Reiner and Armin.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander:
- Sasha talks to trees, sniffs markers, wants to eat Titan puke, and thinks that babies come from the stork regardless of sexual intercourse.
- Krista is pretty out there as well.
- Ascot Man is a sadistic and violent one.
- Erwin is also a bizarre man. According to Petra, just about everyone associated with Levi's team is this.
- Crapsack World: Arguably even more so than the original.
- Companion Cube: Jean's suit vest, which "talks" to him in a high-pitched voice and gives him emotional support.
- Cute Bruiser: Annie is sexy, GOD DAMN IT!
- Cute Witch: Krista, though it remains to be seen if she has actual magic powers and isn't merely insane.
- Deus ex Machina: Same as in the original series, with respect to Eren's convenient superpower manifestation. Here, it was lampshaded in episode 10.
- Die or Fly: Mikasa. Ascot Man's death was only the beginning.
- Double Standard: Military authorities don't seem to have a high view of women.
- Mikasa is recognized by Shardis as a tactical genius, and could very well be the hero that saves humanity in its darkest hour, but he fails her anyway because she's a woman.
- Levi tells Petra to knit a sweater during the Trost campaign, and generally disrespects her for being female.
- Drill Sergeant Nasty: Shardis, even more than in the original.
- Emo: Mikasa always wears her scarf, because it warms the darkness of her soul.
- Emotionally Tongue-Tied: Mikasa froze up pretty bad when Zackley asked if she loved Eren.
- Evil vs. Evil: Armin and Kitz's showdown in episode 10, deciding once and for all, who is the most "fucked up" human being.
- Face of an Angel, Mind of a Demon: Armin. There are enough examples to merit their own page.
- Fiery Redhead: Potentially Eren; if Hannes is his father, he certainly fits the bill.
- French Jerk: Jean.Jean: "My name is Jean. It's French for "douchebag!"
- Foreshadowing: When Levi is listing off the various things he's run away from in his life, he mentions "some guy I know named Kenny."
- Gang Initiation Fight: Levi beats the crap out of Eren in lieu of a formal graduation into the Survey Corps.
- Historical In-Joke: Armin wants to be a globe-trotting explorer and cartographer, just like his hero, Adolf Hitler.
- Historical Hero Upgrade: As stated above, Eren and Armin become convinced Adolf Hitler was an admirable explorer after reading Mein Kampf.
- Insane Troll Logic: Carla was a prostitute and slept with Hannes. Somehow this is the Titans' fault.
- In the Blood: Eren's trial is first derailed by everyone's obsession with screwing his mom, and then by Mikasa's obsession with screwing him.
- Jerkass: Shardis, Ascot Man, Eren, Darius Zackley, Levi, Pastor Nick, the list goes on.
- Jive Turkey: Some of the Titans talk like this.
- Kissing In A Tree: Given a fun twist by Pastor Nick in Episode 14.Pastor Nick: EREN AND MIKASA,
SITTING IN A TREE,
- Limit Break: The climax of Armin's shouting match with Kitz.
- And again in Episode 17 when, after trying and failing multiple times to win the Female Titan's affections, Armin becomes the wrathful Crimson King.
- Living Emotional Crutch: Eren serves this function for both Mikasa and his father. (In episode six, Eren's father turns to him for emotional support when he discovers Mikasa's cabin, then again later when he says he's afraid of the dark.)
- The Loins Sleep Tonight: Reiner claims that he can't get an erection unless someone is watching.
- Look Behind You: Briefly, Petra tries to make Eren look at a squirrel when he starts catching on to her feelings for Levi.
- Love Martyr: Petra puts up with a lot of crap for Levi's affection, which he most assuredly does not give her. She eventually gives up on him.
- Luke, I Might Be Your Father: Hannes, to Eren. It's what kickstarts Eren's decision to get to the basement that also happens to hold the secret of defeating the Titans.
- Meaningful Name:
- Jean states that his name is French for "douchebag".
- In the credits, Kitz Weilman's surname is written as "Vermin", which matches his claim to be the most fucked up human being on the planet.
- Minor Injury Overreaction: Eren tends to go on rants whenever he gets hurt, usually claiming that he's leaking spinal fluid.
- Muscles Are Meaningful: Reiner has taken a ton of steroids in order to obtain his physique, but
- Muscles Are Meaningless: Mikasa doesn't need muscles to have man strength.
- My Sister Is Off-Limits!: Eren is protective of Mikasa whenever anyone (namely Jean) shows interest in her.
- Mythology Gag: During the battle of Trost, several of the trainees, plus Connie, start huffing their gas supply and then make horse-related jokes about Jean.
- Never My Fault: When things go south in the Trost campaign, Jean muses that it's time for him to evaluate all of his life choices that brought him to that point. He still blames Eren.
- Nightmare Fetishist: Armin is really, really fucked up.
- No Indoor Voice: Shardis shouts almost the entire time whenever he's shown onscreen.
- Not So Above It All: While Petra admits that the Survey Corps members working with Levi tend to be freaky weirdos, her brand of weirdness is a bit more subtle. Namely, she has a disturbingly detailed knowledge of Levi's odd cleaning habits (which she calls "choreplay"), and she's apparently a heinous bitch if she doesn't get her pumpkin spice latte.
- Only Sane Man: Eren realizes too late that joining Levi's team in the Survey Corps is basically getting surrounded by a huge gang of maniacs. He otherwise averts this, as he's a Jerkass with Insane Troll Logic most of the time, while Mikasa is usually the Only Sane Woman to him and Armin.
- Petra admits that everyone there is a complete weirdo, but she herself seems pretty normal by comparison. If nothing else, she's definitely this to Erwin when he's giving a speech.
- Oral Fixation: Eren claims to have one after sucking his thumb while asleep in the first episode. This reappears when Eren finds he has the ability to turn into a Titan.
- Parody Religion: Armin worships Muhatma Gandhi, the wrathful god of war.
- Polyamory: Sasha mentions that people in her village have multiple wives.
- Race Fetish: Everyone wants a piece of Mikasa's Asian ass.
- Race Name Basis: Connie is often called names like "Bean Burrito" or "Chihuahua".
- Raised by Wolves:
- Annie was apparently raised by woodland critters until she was six years old.
- Inverted by Sasha when Shardis states he had left her for dead several times in the forest, only for the wolves to bring her back because they didn't want her.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Eren gives a massive one to Levi after Levi insists on running away from the Female Titan like a coward and insults Petra while doing so, calling him out on all the shit he puts them all through.Levi: Was I Batman?
Eren': NO! You were never Batman! You're a miserable pathetic failure, wrapped in self-hatred and loathing dying a cold death alone IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT!
- The Red Baron: Armin dubs himself "The Crimson King" in Episode 17.
- Red-Headed Stepchild: EVERYONE hates gingers, and Eren's fear of his own lineage with respect to whether or not he's of ginger ancestry is a continuing punchline.
- Refuge in Audacity: Practically 90% of Armin and Shardis' dialogue can be described as this.
- Rousing Speech: Pixis delivers one to motivate the soldiers at Trost. Unfortunately it gets ruined when all that alcohol catches up with him and he rains vomit down on them.
- Armin gives one to Jean when Jean refuses to cooperate with him and Reiner to stop the Female Titan. He doesn't really mean what he's saying, he's just trying to manipulate Jean into being a pawn in his plan so he can flirt with her.
- Sanity Ball: Eren is normally an asshole with a bizarre thought process, but he's the Only Sane Man compared to the rest of Levi's team.
- Screw the War, We're Partying!: In episode 7 when all looks bleak, everyone but Jean decides to get high on gas.
- Sex for Solace: In Episode 18 when Petra says she will sleep with Eren after Levi states she cant do better than him, which finally pushes Petra over the edge after having put up with his shit for so long.
- Sex Goddess:
- Carla is one, according to everyone but Eren.
- Christa (by extension Ymir) is probably one too, as she constantly runs and attends orgy sex parties.
- She Is Not My Girlfriend: Petra and Levi deny having a romantic relationship when Eren inquires about it, though Levi doesn't really know what they were talking about.
Eren: I'm gonna be the best, like no one ever was!
- Shardis' nickname for Sasha is Private Pyle.
- Another example of this trope occurs in episode 11:
Mikasa: That's Pokémon.
Eren: IT'S APPLICABLE TO TITANS!
Aristocrat: Holy shit, Sirius Black's on the loose.
- During what Armin claims to be "acid flashbacks," he starts uttering a string of nonsense, including feeling little spiders crawling out from his belly button.
- There are a lot of references to Harry Potter.
- The former Survey Corps HQ is apparently Hogwarts Castle. They don't know much about it other than a lot of people died back in the day.
- Levi tells the team to call him, "Dumbledore" as they clean up the HQ.
- When Hanji is informed that Sawney and Bean are dead, the messenger screws up and initially says that, "somebody has stolen the Philosopher's Stone."
- Armin sees a black signal flare during Operation Space Rainbow and he thinks that it marks the return of Voldemort.
- Levi initially thinks so as well, before remembering the return of Voldemonrt is the purple flare.
- As the aristocrats behind Wall Sina discuss The Reveal that Eren can turn into a Titan, one of them reading the newspaper says this.
Female Titan: Hufflepuff represent!
- When a member of the Survey Corps gets punted by the Female Titan, someone announces "Ten points for Gryffindor!" The Female Titan is not pleased.
- Sibling Rivalry: Eren and Mikasa, much moreso than in canon (at least on Eren's part) - it doesn't help that Eren was apparently the black sheep of the Jaeger household. This escalates to the point where when Eren punches Mikasa in a rage while in Titan form, his motive is changed from "kill Mikasa because I had no clear objective" to "kill Mikasa for babying me."
- Stalking Is Funny If It Is Female After Male: Mikasa and Eren.
- Strangely Arousing: Armin seeing his comrades getting eaten by Titans while "Careless Whisper" plays in the background certainly signifies this. Annie is confused as to why she's aroused by Eren beating up Jean.
- The Stoner: Everyone, though Armin and Reiner are the biggest drug users in the group, though Reiner mostly does steroids. Bert is also an Erudite Stoner.
- Surprise Incest: If the Ackerman family tree is the same here as it is in Attack on Titan, then Levi showing an interest in Mikasa alludes to this trope.
- Teeny Weenie: Steroids have apparently taken their toll on Reiner.
- The Chessmaster: You just know this story will turn out to have been an account of Armin's ascent to supremacy.Armin: You can achieve this. Fly, my pretties; fly!
- They Call Me Mister Tibbs!: "PLEASE, call me Pixis."
- Token Minority: Mikasa is the only Asian, and Connie is the only Latino.
- Uncle Tomfoolery: Titans act in a manner consistent with this trope, despite their apparent lack of race. The only Titans who don't act like this instead act like rednecks.
- Unholy Matrimony: Armin wants to make the Female Titan his dark queen.
- Unlucky Childhood Friend: Mikasa always gets rejected whenever she shows any sort of romantic attraction towards Eren. Eren's most common response is to call Mikasa gay when she brings it up, such as when Mikasa asked him to kiss her for luck before going to battle.
- What the Hell, Hero?: "Hero" is a bit of a stretch, but Jean calls Armin out on risking his and Reiner's livesnote just for a chance to flirt with the Female Titan.
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: Hanna and Franz qualify, as they believe they can stop Titans with "free love".