Matthew Hyson (b. 1970) is a semi-retired American Professional Wrestler and trainer from Providence, RI best known for his work in ECW from 1996-2001 and in WWE from 2001-2005 as Spike Dudley. He debuted in 1994 after training at the APW Boot Camp in Hayward, California and spent the next three years on the California independent circuit. He debuted as Spike in 1996 as the "runt" of Dudley litter. Over his time, he would hold the ECW World Tag Team Titles twice with Balls Mahoney and feud with his "brothers," Buh Buh Ray, D-Von and Big Dick. He debuted in WWE in 2001 after ECW shut down and would alternate between teaming with and feuding with Bubba Ray and D-Von. Over his WWE run, he held the WWE European Heavyweight Title once, the WWE World Cruiserweight Title once, the WWE Hardcore Title 8 times and the WWE World Tag Team Titles once with Tazz. He later followed Ray and Devon to TNA as Brother Runt. He would go on to compete for a variety of independents before "retiring" in 2010.
As usual, you can find the basics at The Other Wiki.
"Pound for Pound, One Though Little Bastard's trope list."
- Almost Kiss: Repeatedly with Molly Holly in 2001.
- Bash Brothers: Besides the other Dudleys, Balls Mahoney, whom he won the ECW tag team championships with. In WWE, he won the tag team championships with Tazz.
- Beard of Evil: A horned beard while he was the cruiserweight champion on Smackdown and boss of the Dudley Boys.
- Boisterous Weakling: The heroic variety.
- David vs. Goliath: Inevitable when you're only 5'8" and 150 lbs. It started when he defeated Bam Bam Bigelow at ECW Born to Be Wired, earning him the Red Baron "The Giant Killer." He would go on to defeat many more giants. Even more impressive, many of these were Squash Matches.
- Distaff Counterpart: Trish Stratus briefly became his when he was drafted to Smackdown and became the heel cruiserweight champion while Trish became the heel women's champion on Raw, due to their similar statures and methods as well as the belts being rough equivalents for the two brands.
- Expy: While on Raw, Spanky was his expy on Smackdown, right down to the 'running the turnbuckle finisher', stoner personality and a joke about his package...okay, Spanky was an expy of ECW Spike Dudley in character but to WWE Spike in that he was not very successful as a singles wrestler.
- Finishing Move: Acid Drop/Dudley Dog (a springboard cutter which involves running up the top turnbuckle), also a top rope the double foot stomp, though that was not as guaranteed to work.
- Fun with Acronyms: Little Spike Dudley
- Genius Bruiser: He was a teacher before he became a wrestler.
- Giant Killing: Giant Killer was on of his red barons in ECW
- The Goggles Do Nothing: Like his "brothers," the glasses were only the frames.
- Groin Attack: It's often how he'd set up the Acid Drop.
- Leitmotif: AC/DC's "Highway to Hell." This was the Dudleys' theme in ECW. After Buh Buh Ray turned heel on Spike in February 1997, the Dudleys (now Buh Buh Ray, D-Von, Big Dick, Sign Guy and Joel Gertner) stopped using entrance music altogether. Spike kept "Highway to Hell" until ECW closed.
- Jobber: What he became in the WWE, after a rather promising Wrestlemania spot where he put Christian through a table too, though he had some brief moments of competence (as the picture of him with the European title shows). This would eventually be rectified somewhat when he was treated more seriously in Smackdown's cruiserweight division, allowed to win the title and become the most important Dudley but it still paled in comparison to his status in ECW.
- Muscles Are Meaningless: Not built, but it didn't get in his way.
- One-Hit Kill: When he hit the Acid Drop on someone, it was over.
- Starcrossed Lovers: Him and Molly Holly during the Dudley boy/Holly cousin feud. He eventually began feuding with the other Dudleys outright when they put Molly through a table.
- Take That!: At an UWF show he ripped up an offer WWE gave him to work at the second One Night Stand pay per view, stating he would remain loyal to TNA (even though this was a UWF show).
- Token Good Teammate
- Frequently to Bubba Ray and Devon, when he was not feuding with them outright.
- The Leader: But after insisting he did not need their help to beat Rey Mysterio on Smackdown, Bubba Ray and Devon's continued refusal to let him alone caused Spike to declare himself leader of the Dudleys and turn heel.
- Underdogs Never Lose: He didn't look like someone who'd manage to be as successful as he was.
- Unrelated Wrestling Family: With Buh Buh Ray, D-Von, etc.
- Unwanted Assistance: Got drunk during the 2007 Final Resolution and hit Homicide with a splash during the Team 3D tag team title match against LAX, getting his brothers disqualified and denying them the belts.