While taking a walk through Central Park, Nico meets Sadie and Carter Kane while the latter two are on the run from a pair of House of Life magicians. The House of Life, thinking Nico is a normal human, tell him to leave.
"Sorry," said the son of Hades, "but if I surrendered to an organization called the House of Life, my dad would kill me."
Other stories in the Alliance AU include:
Nico's Quest - Takes place during Throne of Fire. While Sadie and Carter are off saving the world, Nico has to escape the Duat, help in the defense of Brooklyn House, and find Sadie a birthday present.
Breaking The Gods - Nico infiltrates a boarding school and uncovers a truly twisted plot.
Children of The Underworld - Direct sequel to 'Breaking The Gods'. With Nico's soul at stake, the time for secrets is over. Seemingly a dead fic, and with it stalling the series out.
[The Alliance AU] contains examples of
- And I Must Scream: When Nico's soul is stuck inside his stone scarab, he's forced to float inside an empty void while screaming for anyone to help him.
- Batman Gambit: As trying to find Hazel in the Fields of Asphodel seems impossible to do quickly, Leo is sent amongst the ghosts praying Hazel will be ntrigued by his resemblance to her boyfriend Sammy.
- Berserk Button: Don't mention Disney's Hercules around Nico. He's not fond of it's portrayal of his dad.
- Big Brother Instinct: Percy towards Nico. Their relationship may be slightly rocky, but if some god or monster or House of Life freak is threatening his cousin, Percy will pwn the shit out of it.
- Zia develops into a protective big sister figure after being possessed by Nephtys, as Nico is currently hosting Nephtys' son Anubis. He starts by being rather irritated about it, accusing Zia of trying to replace his mom.
- Jason is not happy to let a thirteen-years-old kid infiltrate some spooky boarding school and intends to bring him back to Camp Jupiter to keep him safe, uncaring the kid is Pluto's offspring.
- Bloody Murder: Nico's blood is insanely corrosive. As in Xenomorph corrosive. It eats through iron and glass with ease. And don't get any on you. The results are not pretty.
- Casting a Shadow: Nico can create blades of shadow while borrowing Anubis' power.
- Crash-Into Hello: Nico is introduced to Sadie and Carter when the former lands on him.
- Crazy Enough to Work: Nico's idea to prevent Hades to wipe the House of Life out? He pretends he was so into playing Mythomagic with Anubis he outright forgot his dad was trying to check on him. Mind you, Nico went missing for one week. Hades believes him.
- Creepy Blue Eyes: Some demigods appear with those, showing they are Brainwashed and Crazy.
- Did You Just Flip Off Cthulhu?: Nico is quite rude towards Anubis, calling his tenant an "intro pack reject" and accusing him of desecrating corpses. Being rather laid-back for a god, Anubis doesn't hold it against the demigod.
- Dynamic Entry: Percy and Blackjack's entrance into Brooklyn House.
- The End of the World as We Know It: A prophecy by The Mad Oracle makes a good case that Nico and Anubis will bring about "The End of Days". Percy, who is familiar with the word play and metaphors of prophecies, is taking this with a grain of salt.
- Family Eye Resemblance: A plot point in the third history. A demigod's eyes often indicates their godly parent (such as Percy sharing Poseidon's green eyes, Thalia and Jason Zeus's blue eyes, Nico Hades's "coffee" eyes, etc), so when they start to show Creepy Blue Eyes, something's truly fishy.
- Fantastic Racism: The House of Life hates demigods, calling them abominations, and the demigods happily repay the favor by considering the magicians as freaks.
- Foreshadowing: When the Kanes meet Nico, his powers let Sadie think he's hosting Anubis. She's not wrong, she was only a little bit too soon about it.
- For Science!: Thoth has shades of this. He openly gushes over Anubis possessing Nico - which should be impossible - and maintains all knowledge is good to learn. He also gives LSD to a twelve-years-old boy to see if it would help his inhabitant problem.
- Genki Tiger Fish: The tiger fish are very happy to make friends with Percy.
- Glass Cannon: Nico can dish out some major damage with his powers, but he's still physically twelve years old and has limited stamina. If he sticks to sword fighting, he's a Lightning Bruiser.
- Mooks: Shabti. They're pretty much useless if sent up against sword-wielding demigods.
- Mutually Exclusive Magic: Egyptian magic and Greek magic don't play together. At all. Thoth describes this as two radio frequences unable of synchronization, with literally explosive results if you try to mix both. The best result was Cassandra taking the Spirit of Delphi into herself then becoming host to a minor goddess and she went Mad Oracle for this.
- This is why Nico becoming the host to Anubis is such a big deal, as it shouldn't be possible at all. When Egyptian gods tried to take Greek demigods as hosts, they only managed to fry their brains.
- My Sister Is Off-Limits!: Nico has no blood relation to Zia and doesn't want to use her as a replacement to Bianca, yet when a Roman demigod tries to flirt with her he almost assaults the dude. Onlookers say afterwards to Zia how lucky she is to have such a nice and protective baby brother.
- Open Mouth, Insert Foot: When he learns Anubis managed to possess a demigod without frying his host's brain, Thoth shamelessly praises him and asks if Anubis would let him know the due process so to let Thoth fuse with a son of Athena. Needless to say, Percy is not impressed.
- Papa Wolf: Hades's reaction when confronted to the possibility of the House of Life kidnapping Nico is threatening war on the magicians if they refuse to give his son back in three days. He also recruited his two brothers to ensure the war would be a slaughter.
- Poseidon is quite happy to help Hades to destroy the House of Life, since Egyptians water deities killed many of his children by trying to make them hosts.
- Piranha Problem: Played with. Carter compares tiger fish to piranhas. Percy is pretty sure piranhas have nothing on tiger fish. The tiger fish agree with him. Not that they have any idea what piranhas are.
- PreAsskickingOneLiner/Pre-emptive Declaration: "What's that? I can't hear you over the sound of that whirlpool sucking you under!"
- Replacement Goldfish: The reason why Nico feels uneasy about befriending Zia is because he doesn't want for her to become his mom or another Bianca.
- Revive Kills Zombie: While not technically a zombie, Nico (and presumably all children of Hades) are vulnerable to Life magic. The effect is rather similar to Kryptonite's effect on Superman.
- Screw Destiny: What Nico and Percy are hoping to do in regards to the prophecy.
- The Stations of the Canon: The Kane Chronicles book plots go on even with Nico around, as he's never around for their events.
- Superman Stays Out of Gotham: The entire series subverts this trope.
- Sustained Misunderstanding: When they find themselves at Camp Half-Blood, Sadie and Carter let everyone think they are demigods from unknown parentage, as the Camp wouldn't take kindly to magicians.
- Nico also decides to pass as a magician when he's at the twenty-first Nome with Sadie and Carter's trainees.
- Too Dumb to Live: A magician summons up a massive wall of water during the siege of Brooklyn House. Unfortunately for him, Percy is assisting in the defense. He also makes the mistake of tossing out some curses mentioning Percy's mom and barnyard animals.