Richard Darbois (born December 7, 1951 in Montreal, Quebec) is a Canadian-Frenchnote actor and voice actor.
He has one of the most extensive, recognizable and acclaimed repertoires in the history of French voice acting and dubbing, to the point he's one of the strongest living contenders for the title of French Man of a Thousand Voices. His Badass Baritone range got him to voice Action Heroes, intimidating villains, or otherwise imposing characters.
He was also pretty much the local equivalent of Don LaFontaine for movie trailers in The '90s. He is the announcer of the radio station NRJ since 1993, and his voice can still be heard in countless commercials on French television.
Notable live action film dubbings by him include:
- Most of Harrison Ford's roles starting with Blade Runner, the exceptions being the original Star Wars trilogy and the first two Indiana Jones films — he eventually voiced Han Solo in The Force Awakensnote and Indy in The Last Crusade and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.
- Many roles of Danny Glover, most notably Roger Murtaugh in the Lethal Weapon franchise.
- Many roles of Dan Aykroyd, such as Raymond Stanz in Ghostbusters and its sequel (as well as his cameo in Casper).
- Many roles of Richard Gere, Edward Lewis in Pretty Woman for instance.
- A lot of William Hurt's roles, such as Ned Racine in Body Heat.
- Arnold Schwarzenegger in Conan the Barbarian, Conan the Destroyer, Red Sonja, Commando, Predator and Dave.
- Some roles of Sylvester Stallone, including Ray Tango in Tango & Cash and John Spartan in Demolition Man.
- Some roles of Jeff Goldblum, such as Ian Malcolm in the Jurassic Park franchise.
- Patrick Swayze, most notably Johnny Castle in Dirty Dancing, Sam Wheat in Ghost and Bodhi Salver in Point Break.
- Kurt Russell: Dexter Reilly in Now You See Him, Now You Don't, Captain Ron in Captain Ron and Wyatt Earp in Tombstone.
- Michael Ironside: Richter in Total Recall, General Katana in Highlander II: The Quickening.
- Ed Harris in The Right Stuff and Enemy at the Gates.
- Auda ibu Tayi (Anthony Quinn) in Lawrence of Arabia.
- Biff, Griff and Bufford Tannen (Thomas F. Wilson) in Back to the Future.
- Buckaroo Banzai (Peter Weller) in The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension.
- "Sloth" Fratelli (John Matuszak) in The Goonies.
- Allan Quatermain (Richard Chamberlain).
- The Night Slasher (Brian Thompson) in Cobra.
- Kurgan (Clancy Brown) in Highlander.
- Madmartigan (Val Kilmer) in Willow.
- The Brain Gremlin (Tony Randall) in Gremlins 2: The New Batch.
- Jamie "Buffalo Bill" Gumb (Ted Levine) in Silence of the Lambs.
- Captain Hook (Dustin Hoffman) in Hook.
- Alex Murphy / Robocop (Robert John Burke) in RoboCop 3.
- Ryan Gaerity (Tommy Lee Jones) in Blown Away.
- The Djinn (Andrew Divoff) in Wishmaster and Wishmaster 2: Evil Never Dies.
- Captain Teague Sparrow (Keith Richards) in Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End.
Notable animation dubbings:
- Captain Harlock in Space Pirate Captain Harlock, Harlock Saga, and Space Pirate Captain Herlock: The Endless Odyssey.
- Charlie B. Barkin in All Dogs Go to Heaven and its first sequel.
- Darkseid in Superfriends
- Bruce Wayne / Batman in Batman: The Animated Series, Mask of the Phantasm, Batman & Mr. Freeze: Sub-Zero, and Superman: The Animated Series.
- The Genie in Aladdin, its sequels, and the animated series.
- Oogie Boogie in The Nightmare Before Christmas.
- Buzz Lightyear in the Toy Story franchise (including Buzz Lightyear of Star Command).
- Rasputin in Anastasia.
- Shan-Yu in Mulan.
- The King of Siam in The King and I.
- Kron in Dinosaur.
- Hernán Cortés in The Road to El Dorado.
- Henry J. Waternoose in Monsters, Inc..
- Baloo in The Jungle Book 2.
- Bruce in Finding Nemo.