- Sonic the Hedgehog fanfic A Rose And A Thorn is a Shadamy fic, but the theme throughout is Envy. Shadow and Amy pair up astonishingly easily and seem perfect together - but it becomes something far uglier than a petty Love Triangle as Sonic's powerful rivalry with Shadow drives him to become envious not merely of Amy's love for Shadow, but of Shadow's increasing happiness and popularity thanks to her, with the 'monster' even souring his new potential relationship with Rouge.Sonic: (to Amy) "What is it you see in him that's not in me?"
(Sonic kisses Amy)
- Also important, Rouge becomes jealous that Shadow wants another woman (she doesn't have any grudge against Amy). She manipulates Sonic to try to split them up so that Shadow will come back to her even as she realises she likes Sonic's charm and free nature. Word of God is that Sonic's envy blinds him to thinking rationally and he believes Rouge because he wants to, and not because she's some kind of Evil Genius.
- Referenced by name in Axis Powers Hetalia fanfic Gankona, Unnachgiebig, Unità. The green-eyed monsters within Germany and Japan grew to the point they began beating the crap out of each other. If Italy had not intervened in time, it would have gotten much worse.Logic died a horrible death in the face of those green-eyed monsters as they took over the two countries. It seemed as though the goodwill from earlier had outright vanished, inverted completely as it morphed into the ugliest of hatred. Yes, the ugliest of hatred was born...
- Advice and Trust: Asuka is very possessive of Shinji. She constantly states that he is hers and she is not sharing him or giving him up for nothing. Coincidentally all her female classmates have crushes on him and have simultaneously decided trying to seduce him, and their attempts to flirt with and hit on him drive her murderously mad.
- Cullen is a minor example in All This Sh*t is Twice as Weird, mostly because of a case of Mistaken for Romance mixed with Twice Shy. Both of the men he thinks are his rivals find it hilarious.
- Blood and Honor: Quinn reveals a jealous side to his nature while he and Sanguis are in the "off again" phase of their relationship. It's mild at first, confined to glaring at cantina dancers who show the Sith a little too much attention, but it comes to a head on Taris, where Lt. Pierce enters the picture and displays obvious interest in Sanguis. Quinn takes an immediate dislike to the lieutenant and underestimates the latter's abilities. To Quinn's credit, he eventually realizes that he's judged Pierce unfairly and is upset that he's let his personal feelings affect his judgement.
- The Child of Love:
- In chapter 1 Shinji explains the jealousy concept to Rei. She tells him that she thinks she is indeed jealous, but she is not angry with him.
- On the other hand Shinji gets angry, snappy and rude when other men talk to Asuka. And Asuka is also very possessive (not surprising since she is a very insecure person).
- Grimlock in the Transformers fanfic A Child Shall Lead Them. He is not happy when fellow Dinobot, Swoop, ends up getting the Matrix and becoming leader of the Autobots, the position he's always coveted. He gets better and ends up serving as a mentor figure to his teammate.
- Children of an Elder God:
- Asuka at the beginning got agitated, angry and jealous when she saw her crush Kaji flirting with Misato. Later she got jealous over Shinji.
- Rei was usually calm, but she could get very jealous where Shinji was concerned. When she saw Asuka clinging to Shinji's arm in chapter 5, she actually growled. While she glared silently at Asuka, her clenched fists shook, her eyes seemed to glow for a second and her friends got very, very scared."For such a dweeb, that Ikari's got chicks all around him, huh?" asked Touji.
Kensuke nodded, still videotaping.
Suddenly, his camera died.
They heard a growl.
It wasn't just your ordinary growl, from a dog or a wolf. This was a deep growl, the sort of growl that suggested monstrous origins, dark and shadowy nights, and the promise of endless hours of pain. It was accompanied by a blast of cold running down their spines. The two turned around, slowly.
Rei was staring at Asuka, intensely, her face twisted in anger. Her fists were clenched, shaking slightly. It was hard to tell in the sunlight, but they thought they saw her blood red eyes glow brightly for a moment.
"Ohshit," whispered Touji. "She's mad."
- A Crown of Stars:
- Rei was not happy when she learnt that Shinji and Asuka were together now. She was incredibly jealous of Asuka and refused to believe the German woman cared for Shinji.
- Jinnai was absolutely livid when he learnt that Asuka was enthusiastically having sex with Shinji in a daily basis after being a cold fish with him for two years. His jealousy was born from sheer wounded ego and possessiveness since Asuka was nothing but a not-quite-willing toy to him, and he never cared for her in the slightest.
- The titular Magma Grunt of Dating A Team Magma Grunt is not necessarily "possessive" of Brendan, but is awfully quick to get all suspicious when she sees the latter conversing with his friend May. This quickly gets cast aside however.
- Subverted with her meeting of Lilia who is already on friendly terms with Brendan. It looks this way at first until she shows she's just incredibly tense from working up the nerve to ask for Lilia's autograph.
- Duke in Decks Fall Everyone Dies, to the point where he wants to kill Tristan.
- In the My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic fanfic A Delicate Balance, Fluttershy isn't at all happy that Twilight's infatuation with Applejack means that they can't spend as much time together. Fluttershy being Fluttershy, she feels awful about the fact that she's putting her own feelings before Twilight's and tries to be supportive of Twilight's relationship anyway.
- The source of Daryan's abuse of Klavier in Dirty Sympathy: Daryan was originally their band's singer and frontman before their label made them switch. The switch became permanent when it was proved that Klavier had better stage presence and better vocal range.
- Doing It Right This Time: When Asuka suspects Rei can be in love with Shinji she starts to feel jealous
and then she stops herself, remembering her jealousy was used to turn her into a puppet and she is done with that.Asuka had only ever seen that smile once, directed at Shinji after Ritsuko -or Misato- finally got him back out of Unit-01. Now she wasn't continually seeing red and green both at once, she had to admit it was quite a nice smile. Rather cute, in fact.
Then Asuka had to fight down a sudden stab of fear, anger and jealousy. Was it possible that Rei's feelings for Shinji were...??
Arrrrgh. No, bad brain. No hedgehog impressions; that was where it all went wrong the first time round. Rei? Ayanami had deserved better than that, much less Rei Akagi.
- Hefty is this to Empath in Empath: The Luckiest Smurf, especially when it comes to Smurfette, who passed over Hefty when he originally proposed marriage to her along with his fellow Smurfs because she couldn't decide which Smurf she loved the most at the time.
- In Getting Back on Your Hooves, its revealed that this is part of Checker Monarch's motivation for ruining Trixie's life: Trixie's her little sister and Checker, being a self centered Sociopath, couldn't stand having the spotlight split between them. However, she's also driven by a compulsion to completely control someone's life to justify her A God Am I complex, and Trixie happened to fit the bill. The verse's version of Magic Duel also implies that Checker was jealous that Trixie got into Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns.
- Trixie herself has jealousy as one of her main character flaws in this verse. In the original fic, she shows jealousy over Twilight's close relationship with Shining Armor compared to her relationship with her elder sister and in Perfect Companions she becomes jealous of the rest of the mane six having pets when she doesn't. She also shows jealousy of Twilight getting to perform in front of Celestia and the Saddle Arabian delegates. However, she has a lot better control over it than she used to before her HeelFace Turn or her insane sister has and doesn't allow it to override her loyalty to her new friends.
- In Graduate Meeting Of Mutual Killing, Ginchiyo was jealous of her sister for receiving the credit and fame for their work. This led her to try to usurp the invitation to Hope's Peak, but when it's revealed it was meant for both of them, she goes back home to tell her sister. The consequences were much more drastic than what she expected.
- Arnold in Green Eyed, when Helga starts spending time with another guy who turns out to be her cousin.
- Homer in Green Eyed Homer, when Lisa starts spending all her time with Patty's new girlfriend.
- Mion in the fanfic Green-eyed Demon.
- Sakura in A Growing Affection is none too happy that Naruto moved on and started dating Hinata. She does admit to Lee, however, that it might be that Laser-Guided Karma finally caught up to her.(bitterly) "It's funny. He (Naruto) used to like me but I was so busy trying to get Sasuke and he made me miserable. Now I like him but Naruto is with Hinata and they're happy."
- HERZ: Asuka is very jealous. When Shinji is out of her sight she often gets tense and angry, thinking some woman will try to steal him or maybe he will fool around. Despite the protestations of Kensuke, she is hardly paranoid, since there is a woman is always trying to steal him.
- As seen in Miraculous Ladybug, Marinette's crush on Adrien can bring out the worst in her, and in the story Hop To It, she jumps to conclusions about her classmate Jack after Adrien gives her a tour of Paris and offers to tutor her in French. At first, she just treats her coldly without explanation, both as Marinette (after Jack approaches Marinette for help with an outfit on Adrien's recommendation) and as Ladybug (after Jack helps her save Adrien from an akuma), but it leads to a rift with Alya when she wants to interview Jack for the Ladyblog. After a few weeks of this, Marinette schemes to set her up with a replica of Chloé's favourite outfit. When Alya and Marinette find out that Jack has a boyfriend back in the US, they both scramble to prevent her "social suicide", and Marinette admits that what she did was wrong and would have been if she hadn't misread the situation with Adrien.
- In The Keys Stand Alone: The Soft World, Paul confesses to the others just how jealous he's been of them, because they aren't terrified of killing someone just by breathing on them. Recognizing that it wasn't their fault they had it (relatively) easier than him, he tried to pretend he was handling things well, but finally broke down and told them after going through a Heroic BSoD when he nearly killed someone after going to high strength.
- Kakashi calls Sasuke out on this in Legacy Of The Rasengan: Naruto. Despite knowing about Naruto's life Sasuke is jealous of Naruto's power. Kakashi points out that A) Sasuke is being very childish (because Naruto has something he doesn't), B) Sasuke knows for a fact Naruto only uses the Kyuubi's charka as a last resort and C) because of B, Naruto works and trains harder than anyone in his age group going so far as to be a Combat Pragmatist and Obfuscating Stupidity to get the drop on people.
- In Loved and Lost, Prince Jewelius is revealed to have hated his aunt Princess Celestia and cousin Princess Cadance for years because they're more well-known and popular than him, even though Cadance considers him her favorite cousin to the point of regarding him as her little brother. Because of that, he strikes a partnership with Queen Chrysalis to invade Canterlot on Cadance's wedding day before he betrays Chrysalis in favor of using Twilight Sparkle as his pawn. He then uses the events of the Changeling invasion to usurp the alicorns and tarnish their reputations, trying afterwards to have them killed so that their memories will be overshadowed by his reign.
- In Mega Man Reawakened, Wily was insanely jealous of Light, and this led to their falling out.
- In Mega Man: Defender of the Human Race, Wily's jealousy of Light led to their falling out, and it still motivates him at times.
- In one Naruto story, Sasuke became rather jealous of Naruto when the latter starts dating Ino. He doesn't like Ino at all, he just can't stand that the deadlast took away one of his fangirls.
- Neon Genesis Evangelion: Genocide:
- Asuka doesn't like when other girls get too close to Shinji. She resented Rei because she thought Shinji would rather being with her.
- The true Big Bad of the story, the mad A.I. known as the Emerald Tablet, develops feelings for Asuka (feelings which it cannot fully comprehend itself), and as a result it becomes murderously jealous of Asuka's relationship with Shinji. It cannot understand why she would she would choose to cling to a mortal life to be with a flawed human male, when it offers her to an immortal existence with a supreme being like itself. Also it dismisses Shinji's love for her as being tainted by an inevitable element of him biologically desiring her body, while it views it own desire for her as being more pure in nature, in that only desires her for her mind.
- In Once More with Feeling:
- When several girls were swooning at the thought of asking Shinji out, Rei of all people was feeling quite annoyed. Then she greeted him and he greeted back, beaming at her. Her classmates fumed but she felt very pleased with herself.
- Shinjis female classmates were not happy when Asuka came along and Shinji showed that he was interested in her. Asukas male classmates were not happy when Asuka showed that Shinji was the only boy she deemed to be deserving of her attention.
- During the school dance, a girl suggested that shed try anything with Shinji. Asuka warned her away rather pointedly.
- In the Ponies Of Olympus series, Ran Biao went from Rarity's friend to her rival due to being jealous of being Always Second Best.
- Robin becomes jealous of Sumia in Pretender for having Chrom's love and for being married to him. Although he feels very bad that he does and overcompensates by making sure Sumia is well protected in the battle field.
- Sumia is jealous of Robin for taking all of Chrom's attention despite them being recently married and Sumia about to give birth to their first child. She knows that Robin has feelings for Chrom and Chrom keeps trying to get Robin's attention.
- Chrom become jealous of Frederick for seemingly taking his place as Robin's closest friend when Robin starts to become distant when he moves out of Ylissean palace after Sumia and Chrom's marriage.
- Revenge Road: In this Kimagure Orange Road story Hikaru is jealous of Kyosuke and Madoka for the happiness they share, and kills both of them in revenge.
- Asuka in The Second Try is pretty jealous. She strongly disliked Kaworu, partially because he lusted after Shinji. She didn't like Rei either because Shinji had strong feelings towards her, but she stopped being jealous of Rei because she realized that the blue-haired girl wasnt a threat.
- In Six Paths of Rebellion, C.C. suggests during her "The Reason You Suck" Speech to Suzaku that the real reason he hates Zero so much is because unlike Suzaku, he gets results. Suzaku simply can't stand the idea that someone doing things in a way he disapproves of would do so much better at helping the Japanese. Given Suzaku's Big "SHUT UP!" afterwards, she hit the nail on the head.
- Alistair has a few moments of this throughout Shadow And Rose, during the period when he Cannot Spit It Out how he feels about the Warden. It mostly just makes him grumpy when Bann Teagan flirts with her, although when Zevran comes along and makes more direct offers, he's more than grumpy.
- Vanitas in the Kingdom Hearts fic The Shrouded Path had a bad case of this regarding Ven's entire life.
- In Thousand Shinji, both Asuka and Rei were very, very jealous. Asuka got mad when Rei flirted with Shinji, and Rei was furious with Asuka because she made Shinji happy and refused to share.
- In The Witch of the Everfree, from the moment that Sunset Shimmer met Cadance, she resented her for having been adopted by Celestia, which Sunset wanted to happen to her.
- Cadance, meanwhile, was jealous of Sunset for her closeness to Celestia; while Cadance was the one Celestia had officially adopted, Sunset was the one she spent all her time with.
- Invoked in The Year of the Unicorn and the Emerald Princess, when Rory tells Jim about Michel de Chevin dropping in on her art class and dancing with the teacher. Once Rory tells him that Cullen, who was also visiting the class, had a strange look on his face, Jim immediately asks, "Was it a green-eyed monster sort of look?"
- To Hell and Back (Arrowverse):
- Eddie Thawne towards Barry Allen, thanks to his extremely close bond with Iris West, Eddie's girlfriend and Barry's childhood best friend.
- Tommy Merlyn towards best friend Oliver Queen, not just because Laurel Lance seems to prefer Oliver over him, but also because Malcolm, Tommy's father, seems to also be fonder of Oliver than him.
- In Total Drama fanfic Three Tests Of Valor Duncan gets furious when he finds out about Harold and Lindsay's relationship, as he thinks that a nerdy guy like Harold shouldn't be dating her.
- In Danny Phantom fanfic ResurrectedMemories: There are three notable examples with two romantic examples and a platonic one.
- Paulina is a extremely possessive of Danny despite him wanting nothing to do with her and gets very jealous of any other girl Danny so much as looks at, which causes the bulk of the conflict in the story.
- Sam is a Downplayed example being somewhat jealous of Amberlines relationship with Danny but she doesnt let it get in the way of her friendship with the girl.
- Kitty with regards to Embers Amberline identity, being jealous that her best friend seemed to be picking the humans over her and scared that Ember would forget about her, though she eventually gets over this.
- The literal Green-Eyed Monster appears as an antagonist in the Return of the Guardians Trilogy's second arc. Named "Green Eyes" by the Guardians, it looks like a cloud of green smoke with big eyes, and its presence can tempt people to their worst instincts. Green Eyes is actually Almas the Wishing Star's sister, Yasheem's anger and resentment given sentience.
- Vlad King is furious when he learns that the two newest entries into the Hero Course, Izuku and Hitoshi, are both going to be in Aizawa's class instead of his. He's only mollified by the promise of additional interclass exercises.
- Downplayed in Mirio's case. Despite being one of U.A.'s "Big Three", he admits he's jealous of Izuku for winning the Sports Festival in his first year and making his weak Quirk strong, which Mirio needed three years and Sir Nighteye's tutelage to accomplish. Even still, he's fully supportive of Izuku and wants to see him succeed to the point of dropping formalities around him.
- Downplayed in Amazing Fantasy. For all his life, Izuku was ostracized and bullied for being Quirkless and he began to resent the people around him for it. He tends to bury his resentment underneath his admiration for Heroes, but it comes out in his bitter internal snark, which becomes much more prominent after he gains spider powers and his ex-tormentors start sucking up to him. He's disgusted with himself for feeling this way, even after Peter assures him that he went through the same thing as a teenager.
- Somos Familia: Other than Hector and Ernesto, all children at the orphanage envied Imelda for having known her parents and their love and shunned her for it.
- Inverted in The Unfantastic Adventures of Bizarro No. 1, set in a Bizarro Universe. Being a backwards creature, Bizarro is delighted with the thought that his wife might have other suitors.
- In Ward Peggy Sue fanfiction Warp, Victoria Dallon is certain that her adoptive sister Amy -who has a obsessive crush on her- let her boyfriend Dean die in the original timeline because Amy wanted her hated rival out of the way."I can't read minds," he said. "But... yeah. There's a lot going on there. I kind of talked to her about it on Thursday, but she pushed me away. I'm not her favorite person, but she needs help."
She let you die, I thought. There was time. She could have saved you.
"She hates you," I said bluntly.
"I can't read minds," he said again. "So I can't talk about what she's thinking, or how she's going to act. All I can see is what she's feeling, and we don't have a lot of control over that."
Every word he spoke really only confirmed the worst of my suspicions. It wasn't that Tattletale or the stress or the Nine that put things into her head; the desire and will to change, control, and take me had always been there, and everything else had merely exposed it.
"There's the ugly stuffthe jealousy, the hatred, the, the" He broke off, looking uncomfortable.
Green Eyed Monster / Fan Fiction