Polly came across a locket that she keeps inside her pocket..."
Polly Pocket is a Canadian/American TV series based on the 2018 rebrand of the Polly Pocket toy franchise. The first two episodes premiered on Family Channel in Canada on July 1, 2018, and the rest of the first season continued on August 4.
Polly Pocket follows the adventures of Polly Pocket, a clever and curious inventor who inherits (and fixes) a magic locket from her Grandma that allows her to shrink 4 inches tall. She embraces her pocket-sized powers and finds the upside of shrinking can open up new adventures for her with her best friends Lila and Shani. Meanwhile, 60-year-old woman Griselle Grande, along with her dimwitted granddaughter and sidekick Gwen, attempt to steal the locket from Polly to conquer the town of Littleton by shrinking its citizens and trapping them in a model city called "Grandeville". It's about as weird as it sounds really.
The two-part series premiere, labeled as "Polly Pocket Movie: Tiny Power", premiered on Universal Kids in the US on December 9, 2018, however the rest of the series has yet to air on the channel. The whole series is available on Hulu as of 2019, and the official Polly Pocket YouTube channel has uploaded nearly all the episodes for free.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: Lila has red hair.
- Adapted Out: Apart from Polly, Lila, and Shani, none of the Loads and Loads of Characters from the previous toyline/series have made it in.
- Adorkable: All three of the main characters have their moments of cute and endearing awkwardness.
- Adults Are Useless: Polly's parents are incredibly lazy and negligent. They pay little to no attention to Polly's personal life at all - thus easily allowing Polly to go on tiny adventures without her parents ever knowing. At times they foist parenting duties for Pax upon Polly since they want to go out to eat by themselves.
- Animesque: The art style, due to their large eyes, small mouths, etc.
- All-Loving Hero: Polly herself, as she's always trying to fix other people's problems out of kindness. She doesn't even expect a thanks or earn credit for it, she's just doing it out of being nice.
- Alliterative Name:
- The titular character Polly Pocket, her younger brother Paxton Pocket, her older brother Pierce Pocket, her grandmother Penelope Pocket, her great grandmother tenth removed Prudence Pocket...
- There's also Griselle Grande and her grandaughter Gwen Grande.
- Big Bad: Griselle Grande, the series' main villain.
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: Polly is blonde, Shani is brunette, and Lila is the redhead.
- By the Power of Grayskull!: Whenever Polly needs to shrink, she shouts "Tiny power!", and "Go big" in order to go back to normal.
- Catchphrase: "Tiny power!"
- The Chosen One: Polly was chosen by her grandmother to be the one to possess shrinking powers. This is also passed down to the Pocket family (her dad didn't inherit it due to the locket being broken).
- Conspiracy Theorist: Nicholas, who believes in such things as aliens, ghosts, and mythical creatures.
- Cool Car: Polly's modified RC car.
- Cranky Neighbor: Mr. Q, who simply despises Polly for often times bringing her tiny adventures onto his house's porch. Though this doesn't discourage Polly from working to ensure he's not miserable or sad.
- Dance Battler: Though it's yet to be demonstrated in the show proper, Capoeira is apparently one of Polly's hobbies, if her mother's comments in episode 10 are to be believed.
- Diabolical Dog Catcher: The dog catcher in "Dog-Gone Disaster". He tries to round up and lock up every dog he sees, regardless if they have collars or not.
- The Ditz: Lila has her moments.
- Early Installment Weirdness: The catchphrase for Polly to shrink in episode 1 is "Pocket Time". In later episodes it is changed to "Tiny Power". Justified as In-Universe she asks her Grandma if she can change it to "Tiny power."
- Family Theme Naming: The names of Pollys relatives all start with P.
- Fiery Redhead: Downplayed with Lila, who tends to be the most confident of the main three.
- Hiccup Hijinks: Invoked by Shani in "Socially Awkward", where she pretends to have hiccups in order to hide a shrunken Polly and Nicolas from the principal.
- Incredible Shrinking Man: Polly has a magical locket that shrinks her and people who hold her hands.
- It's All About Me: Griselle is so obsessed with the locket that she actually calls it "[her] locket" several times, in spite of the fact it belongs to Polly's family.
- Kid Hero: Polly is a young girl, and is The Hero.
- Minion with an F in Evil: Gwen usually goes along with her grandmother's schemes without question, but her lack of intelligence means she's not much use to her.
- Nice Girl: Polly tries to get along with everybody. She doesn't even harbor any personal feelings against her arch-enemy Griselle, she just wants to get away from her and stop her plans of ruling the world using the locket.
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain!:
- Half the time, Griselle's efforts to capture Polly and her locket are ruined by Gwen.
- Although Polly deserves credit too, Griselle helped Ms. Mentz's back recuperate by knocking her onto the floor giving her the perfect landing needed to straighten back her spine.
- Pet the Dog: Griselle Grande to her granddaughter Gwen.
- In the Season 1 episode "Gwen the Great", when Gwen was in the same dance troupe as Polly, Lila and Shani, Gwen tried to steal the locket for herself, chasing the shrunken trio across the stage, ultimately ending with her getting praise from the audience and Griselle, who all thought she was doing an abstract dance. Considering how obsessed Griselle is with getting the locket and how annoyed she can be with Gwen, it nice to see her be proud of Gwen.
- In the Season 1 episode "Unlocketing the Past: Part 1" Griselle allowed Gwen to get a pet rat at the the Resuce Farm Adopt-A-Thon, despite just failing to steal the locket.
- Secret Identity: Polly has to keep her abilities secret to her family, especially her parents.
- Secret Keeper: The only ones who know about the power of Pollys locket are Lila, Shani, Paxton and her grandmother, and later Nicholas.
- Sixth Ranger: Nicholas finds out about the locket's power in "A Night to Remember", and, after being sworn to secrecy, joins Polly and her friends on their adventures.
- Squee!: The girls do this with joy after hearing Melody's new single in "Tiny Power".
- The Smart Guy: Shani is pretty intelligent, and is meant to balance Polly's personality.
- ¡Three Amigos!: Polly, Lila, and Shani.
- Through His Stomach: In "Dog-Gone Disaster", Polly finally gets Smidgen the dog to like her by feeding him some miniaturized steaks.
- Transformation Trinket: Polly's magical locket allows her to shrink or go big at any time, and can shrink anyone who holds onto her hands.
- Ultimate Authority Mayor: The "A Night to Remember" two-parter invokes this at first; Griselle runs for mayor under a false identity, intending to use that authority to sign a decree that would force Polly to give her the locket, and ban dogs from public places (apparently, there is no city council to run such decisions by first). In the end, this is subverted, as the people of Littleton rise up against her, having her removed from office and arrested for her actions.
- We Used to Be Friends: Griselle and Penelope were once best friends. Then Griselle saw Penelope using the locket, and became obsessed with it. After Penelope refused to sell Griselle the locket, Griselle tried to take it by force, resulting in both the locket and their friendship breaking.