Les histoires du Pére Castor, known in the USA as Papa Beaver's Storytime, is a French-Canadian animated children's program produced from 1993 to 1994 by Cinar (now Cookie Jar Entertainment aka. DHX Media) based on a series of French children's books that features various retellings/stories as told by the eponymous character to his three grandkids. Many of the episodes involve one or more of said children being faced with a problem that Papa Beaver explains how to solve it through one of these stories.
In the USA, the show aired on Nick Jr. from 1994 to 1997, where it was originally scheduled to air alongside the Animated Adaptation of The Moomins before the later show was withheld at the last moment. Here, Papa Beaver was voiced by Walter Massey, who you may know as the original voice of Principal Haney on Arthur.
This show provides examples of the following:
- An Aesop: Most episodes have one, usually in the form of one of Papa Beaver's stories.
- Alternative Foreign Theme Song: The theme song of the English opening is very different from the original French song.
- Animated Adaptation: A number of the stories were animated versions of stories that had been published under the Pére Castor title over the years.
- Civilized Animal: The beavers themselves. Think something along the lines of The Wind In The Willows.
- Cool Old Guy: Papa Beaver himself.
- Pink Girl, Blue Boy: Papa Beaver's children. The girl wears pink clothes, the two boys wear blue clothes.
- The Storyteller: Once again, the eponymous character.