Out of the Box is a Disney Channel television series that ran from October 1998 to June 2005. It was adapted from the works of Douglas Love.
The show takes place in a playhouse made entirely of cardboard boxes. Every day, a group of neighborhood children come and play in "The Box" with Tony and Vivian. The two hosts, Tony James and Vivian Bayubay McLaughlin, make crafts, sing songs, and act out plays with the children.
There are eighty-two Out of the Box episodes in total, with the series running for three seasons. For a long time after it was cancelled, the full series had never been fully released in either a digital or physical format. However, with the announcement of Disney+, it was eventually revealed that the full seriesnote will be available for streaming there.
Out of the Box provides examples of:
- Bigger on the Inside: The show takes place in a house built out of several large cardboard boxes piled together, but inside it's a large room that could never be made out of a few boxes.
- Birthday Episode: In "Happy Birthday To Us", the children pretend it's everyone's birthday.
- "Double, Double" Title: The episode "Mirror, Mirror".
- Edutainment Show: The series revolves around learning manners, facts, and how to craft.
- Expository Theme Tune: The intro shows Tony, Vivian, and the kids building The Box, then climbing inside, while singing a "Do It Yourself" Theme Tune about different activities they perform together.
- First-Name Basis: The kids refer to Tony and Viv by their first names instead of "Mr. James and Ms. Bayubay".
- "Gift of the Magi" Plot: Tony and the kids act out the story in the Christmas Episode.
- Halloween Episode: The Halloween episode revolves around learning how to trick-or-treat safely and how to make your own Jack o'Lantern.
- In-Series Nickname: "Viv" for Vivian.
- Mistakes Are Not the End of the World: The episode "Making Mistakes" was about this and featured the song "Turn a Mistake into Something Great."Turn a mistake into something great / Try and see it from a new point of view / If we make a mistake, we can try to create something different and totally new!
- Portal Picture: Tony, Vivian, and the kids would often jump into pictures displayed at The Box, and interact with the people or animals depicted.
- Sick Episode: Episode 32 has the kids feeling upset because Tony is out sick.
- Title Theme Tune: The theme song contains a lot of Title Drops.
- Wrap-Up Song: Each episode ends with "Until We Meet Again (The Goodbye Song)". Tony and Vivian sing to the audience about how it's "goodbye for now" but they'll meet again soon.
- So long, farewell, to you, my friends
Goodbye for now, until we meet again