The series revolves around Dolly Pond (hence the title Pond Life) and the trouble she has living in an unnamed cul-de-sac, in a flat below her ex-boyfriend Nobby, with a job at the local shop due to never having gone to college. The worst part? She's in her 30s!
Not to be confused with that "Pond Life".
Tropes seen in Pond Life:
- Accidental Misnaming: When Dolly's mother gets arrested during Birthday Suit, she gets identified as: "Fingers Pond."Shop assistant: I'm sorry, Mrs. Fingers, but you'll have to come with me to the office.Ivy Pond: She's delirious, my name's Ivy!
- A-Cup Angst: Dolly is often ridiculed for her small assets.
- Black Sheep: While Dolly's family have learned to accept her as the rebel, they find her rude behaviour intolerable.
- Blind Without 'Em: Dolly's father.
- Butt-Monkey: Dolly.
- Casanova Wannabe: Nobby can be this at times.
- Chubby Chaser: In the episode Fat, Dolly gains some weight, and starts dating one, not realising he only likes her for her body.
- Cool Old Lady: Mrs. A, the shopkeeper.
- Deadpan Snarker: Dolly.
- Dramatic Irony: In Fat, Dolly tries to lose weight in order to keep her new boyfriend while the audience knows he's into fat women.
- Everyone Looks Sexier if French: The episode Good-Looking Boyfriend, introduced two French characters, Didier and Michelle, whom every other character perceived, as being drop dead gorgeous.
- Eye Glasses: Dolly never takes her glasses off.
- The only episode where she does is Fit, although even then we never see her face.
- First-Name Ultimatum: Nobby gets this a lot.
- Foil: Belle is this to Dolly in demeanour, behaviour and appearance.
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: Alana is married with children and more sensible than Dolly.
- Groin Attack: Dolly's father gets this in Bitter and Twisted.
- Mistaken for Gay: In Bitter and Twisted, when Dolly's therapist stands outside her flat serenading her, one of the other characters enters, and mistakes Dolly and the Therapist, for being a lesbian couple.Gloria: Dolly! I never would've thought... A woman!
- Mistaken for Pregnant: A shop assistant does it to Dolly, in the episode Birthday Suit.
- Privileged Rival: Gloria Leaf's modelling career and steady boyfriend has given her a more affluent lifestyle than Dolly. She often brags about her success much to Dolly's annoyance.
- Smoky Voice: Mrs. A's masculine voice is a result of her smoking since the age of 8.
- Status Quo Is God: Dolly is constantly making resolutions to change her life. These changes never come to fruition due to her being a creature of habit.
- You're Just Jealous: In the episode Mr Wrong, Nobby says this to Dolly.