New Tamaran is a fanfic by Saberlord Oboeshoes acting as a sixth season to Teen Titans. The story is mostly centered on Starfire, who is looking forward to a normal adulthood with her boyfriend/fiance Robin.
But that all changes when her home planet Tamaran is destroyed, and what's left of her people need a new home and a new leader. With the encouragement of her friends and fiance, Starfire helps her people turn Earth's moon into New Tamaran, and Robin/Nightwing hopes their marriage will form a peaceful alliance between them and humanity.
However, the evil that destroyed Tamaran has come to Earth, and it won't stop until it has destroyed everything Starfire loves.
This story is 45 chapters long and features a good amount of non-Titans DC characters - Supergirl, Wonder Girl, Oracle, Scarecrow, Lex Luthor, Steve Trevor (who is President of the United States), Dr. Michael Holt, and The Spectre.
The story can be read here.
There is also a sequel Justice Returns, which wraps up loose ends and sets the stage for a new generation of young heroes and villains.
The author has also written some side-stories as well:
- A Brief History of Superheroics by Lois Lane: the author's alternative take on the history of the DC Universe
- Unlikely Alike: Supergirl and Raven have a chat
New Tamaran, Justice Returns, and their side-stories contain examples of:
- Adaptational Badass:
- Scarecrow can normally be easily taken out by Batman, but here he goes toe-to-toe with an Amazon princess and an overpowered half-demon. Of course, he does fight both with magically enhanced fear toxin.
- Zig-zagged with Steve Trevor. While hes never been a weakling, he tends to be overshadowed by characters with god-like strength. Here, he leads an assault on an invading Tamaranean army, and even after he loses his plane, he still manages to take out several alien attackers before going face-to-face with Wildfire and punching him into the Washington Monument.
- Adaptational Sexuality: All female characters are bisexual, along with Aqualad and Speedy
- Amazons are also bisexual, and after WWII, they helped society quickly accept gay marriage.
- Tamaraneans and Atlanteans are also said to all be bisexual.
- Adaptational Villainy:
- Wildfire/Ryandr begins as a hero like the comics, but the death of Starfire sends him on a Roaring Rampage of Revenge that ends in an invasion of Earth.
- The Spectre is usually an anti-hero, but once finding a new host in Raven, he becomes mad with power
- Damian Wayne is pretty hot-headed, but here he unremorsefully kills his mother in a fit of rage. Then again, this Damian was never raised by Batman and does become one of Slades apprentices.
- Arch-Enemy: Cheshire sees herself as this to Wonder Girl, and Scarecrow wants to be this to Raven
- Ascend to a Higher Plane of Existence: Raven ultimately achieves Godhood, gaining full power over the universe and the ability to travel through the multiverse.
- Ascended Extra: Cheshire is given a speaking role in the main story, and her origin ends with her playing a big role in future villainy.
- Ascended Fangirl: Raven idolized Batman, and is now on a team led by his former sidekick
- Babies Ever After: Happens to all the heroes at the end of New Tamaran
- Back from the Dead: Raven had made her own version of the Purple Ray underneath Titans Tower, modified to resurrect her or her friends if they were ever killed.
- Badass Boast: Beast Boy and Raven each give one at the start of Justice Returns:Beast Boy: (to Kalibak) You see, Im a shapeshifter. I can transform into any animal, from both zoos and fairy tales, and from any planet. So, youre not just up against one enemy you're up against BILLIONS!!! And you have no idea which one is gonna come next!Raven: (to Darkseid) You call yourself a god? My father was a real god. Conquered his universe, then my mothers, and then tried this one. He could destroy an entire planet just by setting foot on it. But thanks to my friends, I got over my fear of him, and destroyed him. And that was BEFORE I became this! You want fear? You want power? Ill give you both.
- Big Bad Wannabe: Control Freak
- Character Rerailment: By the end of New Tamaran, all the main characters have become much closer to their original comic counterparts.
- Chekhov's Gun: The morning after Robin proposes, Starfire accidentally reveals she's been given a Violet Lantern ring, but hasn't put it on due to fears that being a Lantern will take her away from her friends. Guess what she uses to defeat her Red Lantern sister.
- Composite Character:
- The Scarecrow of this story is a successor to Dr. Crane, and his first name is Sebastian.
- Wonder Girl is a combination of the Wolfman/Perez-era Donna Troy and Fury from Earth Two.
- In chapter 45, Barbara Gordon has a new identity in Flamebird, while Mirage is an adult, reformed Ace from the Royal Flush Gang.
- Cut Lex Luthor a Check: Ironically, Scarecrow signs over his fear toxin to Lex Luthor who then uses it for benevolent purposes.
- Darker and Edgier: The author is well aware that the original show's child audience has grown up.
- Deity of Human Origin: Raven is a mortal who becomes God, although being the daughter of a demon-god definitely helped.
- Destructo-Nookie: Robin taking Starfires virginity ends with the top floor of Titans Tower reduced to rubble
- Averted with Beast Boy and Raven. Their first-time making love tears open space-time and creates the Green Martians across the multiverse. It Makes Sense in Context.
- Played straight with Supergirls first time.
- Double Standard: Rape, Female on Male: Strongly averted, as it's always done for drama or horror.
- After his failed escape attempt, Red X is put under mind control and brought to Red Lantern Blackfire. Her preparation to burn and screw him is frightening.
- Cheshire loses her virginity by raping a fellow student at HIVE Academy.
- After capturing Speedy for the Brotherhood of Evil, Cheshire drugs him and then seduces him while pretending to be Wonder Girl, resulting in the conception of their daughter Lian.
- Belle Reeve has been converted into a playpen for Killer Frost, who gleefully tortures and rapes the other prisoners, who are kept alive and healed for her amusement. Granted though, her victims include Vandal Savage and Lex Luthor, neither of whom are even slightly sympathetic.
- Earn Your Happy Ending: All the heroes definitely do
- Ethical Slut / Good Bad Girl: Supergirl is a peeping tom, thinks mostly dirty thoughts, has had sex every day since losing her virginity, uses her super-senses to make the act perfect every time, her list of partners includes every other sidekick and most Honorary Titans, and shes gladly unapologetic about all this. Yet shes still a sweet, kind-hearted, inspiring superheroine who wont hesitate to rush into danger or comfort the hurting.
- Wonder Girl as well (often accompanying Supergirl) until she and Speedy become a couple
- After coming back to Earth, Wonder Woman brags about banging the entire Justice League while off-planet. Steve Trevor is unfazed by this.
- Exotic Extended Marriage: All Tamaraneans (except royalty) have intermingling group marriages, uniting the whole species together in love
- Falsely Reformed Villain: Lex Luthor seems to have gone clean, but only because Oracle is blackmailing him. He also agrees to play a part in Blackfires plan.
- Foil: The origins of Wonder Girl and Cheshire are this
- For the Evulz: Blackfire was only sent to Earth to find the Anti-Life Equation; everything she does to her sister and her native people is all for fun.
- Friends with Benefits: The general sex life among all heroes who are age-appropriate and not in a serious relationship
- From Nobody to Nightmare:
- While Scarecrow is normally a C-list villain, here he manages to take over the mind of an overpowered half-demon whom he almost turns into a God of Evil.
- Blackfire has gone from a two-episode villain to well, everything about her.
- Cheshires story has her going from third world village girl to master assassin to leader of a terrorist organization to triggering a xenothium bomb in Dubai.
- HeelFace Turn: Red X once he learns the full scope of Blackfires plan. He later becomes a law-abiding citizen and marries Terra.
- Hero of Another Story: During the Teen Titans series, the Justice League was off-planet to aid in the war effort against Darkseid, while Supergirl and Wonder Girl had their own adventures as a Battle Couple, and Oracle kept tabs on Lex Corp. Also, Static and Shazam are both briefly mentioned as the defenders of Dakota City and Fawcett City respectively.
- Hotter and Sexier: The main story and the origin flashbacks arent shy about discussing the young heroes sex lives (to the point where it can be awfully disjointed from the rest of the story)
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Starfires ultimate desire, which is the reason she starts a modeling career. Robin shares her dream, which is why he decides to retire from hero work and proposes to her.
- Once Wonder Girl finds out shes pregnant, she asks Speedy to have a normal life with her. He agrees.
- Legacy Character: Scarecrow is one to Dr. Poison, and Cheshire sees herself as this to The Joker
- At the end of Justice Returns, the new female Titans are following their parents, and Donnas son Robert has the Blue Beetle mantle. On the villain side, Damian Wayne is the new Red X, while Ravager and Gemini are taking over the roles of their parents.
- Let's Play: Beast Boy has started doing these
- Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex: Robin's first attempt at making love was with Supergirl, who accidentally broke most of his bones (and his bed and bedroom) with a single hip thrust. Likewise, his deflowering of Starfire ended with him having to be restored by the Purple Ray.
Raven: Yes, and dont forget your habit of making love every new young hero that comes along.Supergirl: Hey, just to be clear, I instruct them in making love to me, otherwise theyd all snap like twigs!Raven: Yes, well, I could never indulge myself like that, unless I wanted to trade my virginity for blowing up the whole planet.
- Also discussed and averted in Unlikely Alike:
- Meta Origin: A Brief History of Superheroics begins by explaining how in this version of the DC Universe, all the Amazons left Themyscera to aid the Allies against Ares and the Axis. After the war, the surviving Amazons became the ancestors for all the magic-based heroes and villains, while super-science was derived from studying magical artifacts used during the war.
- Police Brutality: A big part of Bumblebees origin
- Polyamory: The norm in Tamaranean culture, to the point where all Tamaraneans (except royalty) have intermingling group marriages, uniting the whole species together in love. This is why Starfire is actually happy at the possibility of sharing Robin and ultimately does with Barbara and Raven.
- Amazons and Atlanteans are also like this. With their respective others away, Steve Trevor and Mera fall in love, and Wonder Woman accepts them both when she returns.
- When Raven achieves godhood, she sets up a physical presence on every world with civilization. On each of these worlds, she finds new friends and lovers (which includes Starfire, Nightwing, and Barbara on New Tamaran), even though Beast Boy will always be her truest true love.
- Reality Ensues:
- The people of Earth have been looking into deep space for decades, so they're well aware not just of extraterrestrial life but of interstellar conquerors. As a result, Earth's militaries are well-prepared for the event of an alien invasion.
- After his daughter was crippled, Commissioner Gordon has become much harsher on criminals, to the point of shooting to kill and personally performing executions.
- Wonder Girl, like her parents, is a soldier, and thus doesnt have a No Killing rule.
- After returning to Earth, the surviving Justice League members are so exhausted, physically and mentally, from intergalactic war that they retire from hero work.
- Likewise, many Titans have to retire or semi-retire to raise their children. Thankfully, new young heroes take their place.
- Related in the Adaptation:
- Wonder Girl (Donna Troy) is the daughter of Wonder Woman and Steve Trevor, making her a Composite Character with Fury of Earth 2
- In Aqualads origin, Tula is the daughter of Mera.
- Red X is revealed to the reader to be Jason Todd, but in Justice Returns he changes his surname to Sandsmark and marries Terra, implying theyll have a daughter named Cassie.
- While Argent is still half-alien, her human genes came from The Ray
- At the end of Justice Returns, the next group of young heroes is the Kingdom Come Titans, but only Nightstar and Red Hood have the exact same parentage. Kid Flashs mother is Jinx, Aquagirls mother is Bumblebee, and Donnas son Robert is the biological son of Shazam and stepson of Speedy.
- Royal Inbreeding: Starfire unashamedly admits to coming from eight generations of brother-sister marriage; one could imply that Blackfires defects are a result from this.
- Self-Insert Fic: In Chapter 33, Robin and Starfire read a letter from Saberlord Oboeshoes, in which he explains why he loves the Teen Titans, how much them mean to him, and reminding them of what makes them heroes
- Sex Is Good: The stories definitely have a sex-positive message. As Wonder Woman tells her daughter in Amazon Origin:First of all, it can involve a boy and a girl, two boys, two girls, or a combo of three or even four. Second, sex is all about the joining of the most sensitive parts of the body, soul, and mind all together at once. During the process, the physical, spiritual, and mental parts of everyone who does it join together into one, becoming an intense array of passion that makes you lose yourself as you fly through the air! As Amazons, before and after every battle, we offer to have sex with our fellow warriors, strengthening the bond of love between us all!
- Shout-Out: The future revealed at the end of New Tamaran has characters from Kingdom Come, the Batman Beyond episode The Call, and Earth 2.
- Spiritual Antithesis:
- In The Killing Joke movie, Barbara Gordon was infamously portrayed as acting out of pure selfishness, while also being reckless, impulsive, and hot-headed. By contrast, the Barbara in these stories still doesnt make the most ethical actions, yet she does them because she truly believes they are in the best interests of the people she cares about. She also takes time to plan out her actions, and ultimately does succumb to criticism.
- In her origin, Karen Beecher can be seen as this to Riri Williams. While theyre both super-intelligent black teen girls, Riri Williams has a victim complex, steals from a university, replicates the work of Tony Stark, is self-centered, and doesnt accept mistakes. This version of Karen Beecher has her be an actual victim of racism, gets her materials legally, vastly improves on her grandfathers work, puts others first, and learns from her mistakes.
- Take That!!:
Then it was just me and the shooter. I knew I should have just left him bound for the authorities. But this was hardly the first school shooter in my lifetime, and I recalled what had happened to the others. All given life in a luxurious prison cell, three square meals a day, letter correspondence with their admirers, and voting rights. I didnt want that scum to get off so easy.The nation couldnt stop talking about the shooting. Gun control advocates used it to push for stricter gun bans (even though the shooter was too young to legally purchase any firearm, and anyone who pointed that out was accused of hating children). On the flip side of the spectrum, alternative radio hosts accused the shooting as a government set up, and the grieving families were crisis actors who needed to get summer jobs.Thankfully, Aunt Iris finally shut the media off. She knew what we needed was time to grieve. To realize that we couldnt save everyone, and how rage can easily take us over.
- In chapter 37, Control Freak is a piss-take at Adam Conover.
- Wonder Woman and Wonder Girl both at one point say, Sometimes we need to destroy what we hate to protect what we love a blatant inversion of a line by Rose Tico.
- Chapter 8 of Justice Returns has jabs at Teen Titans Go! And Titans (2018).
- Abner Smith from Wonder Girls origin is a middle finger to Bradley/Chelsea Manning and Wikileaks
- Conversely, Cheshires origin begins as a condemnation of drone strikes and civilian casualties in the War on Terror
- In Bumblebees origin, her followers devolve into a parody of Black Lives Matter and Antifa
- Kid Flashs origin involves a school shooting, and contains some harsh commentary on how modern society responds to mass shooters:
This man whose sole job was to protect the students failed to do so acted like a coward and was showing no remorse for it. A second later, Uncle Barry was standing where that coward was - right leg sprawled out in front of his left, his right arm punching forward and the coward was replaced with a blood explosion.
- And this line directed towards the security guard at Parkland:
- The Mafia: Blackfire meets Lex Luthor while dressed up like a member.
- The Power of Love: How Starfire defeats Blackfire, and why Raven becomes a benevolent deity.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: President Steve Trevor delivers a two-parter (chapters 30 and 34) to Wildfire:Trevor: I'm calling to reason with you. Let me begin by asking a question: how is what happened at your sister's wedding any different than what you did in Metropolis?Wildfire: Oh, I see; you're the wise, old man giving bullshit wisdom to the stupid young kids, right?Trevor: Yes, I am a man. A man who has seen war for nearly a century. I've witnessed every atrocity that grown adults will do to each other, every act of sadism done against innocents, every type of cultural erosion done in the name of country, religion, power and greed. And now, you have just joined them in the ranks of evil. You treat war like it's a game, a game that you have initiated out of your own childish pettiness.Wildfire: That's not true at all. We still need a bunch of supplies to continue our colonization, and I've decided on a much better trade proposal. We're going to invade your planet, rule your people, and take everything we want in exchange for imposing on you the superior culture of a much more advanced species!Trevor: So, Congress was right to quickly reach a resolution then. You really are going to war over your neighbors. Well, as inferior as we are, we've known about the existence of intergalactic imperialists for quite some time. We wouldn't be so foolish as to not have some type of defense prepared.Wildfire: "Oh yeah? Well, bring it on, bitch!
Trevor: You are a king without an army, which doesn't make you a king at all. Tell me, how does it feel to lead your soldiers to defeat and ruin, all in vain? How does it feel to repay kindness with violence? How does it feel to go turn an oppressed people into a legion of brutes? How does it feel to murder an angel?Wildfire: Well, you're a warrior. You should knowTrevor: So, you and I are the same, is that it? Here's where you're wrong. Yes, my whole life I have devoted to killing, but I kill so that my children's children won't have to wake up one day under the rule of a tyrant, and I kill so that those children who do wake up under a tyrant will no longer have to. I don't kill because I hate my enemies, but because my enemies' hate drives them to kill me. And I kill because I love my wife, and she will not return to this planet turned into your playpen!Wildfire: Well, I kill because I love my sister! And I can't look at you or any of your kind without seeing the face of that demon who took her away from me!Trevor: Then youre not even a soldier. Youre just pathetic.
- (later, after defeating Wildfires army in Washington DC)
"Your sister that you love to torment so much IS MY FRIEND! NOBODY HURTS MY FRIENDS! And that's exactly what you are - a pathetic nobody! You will have no friends to mourn you, no family to carry fond memories of you, and no legacy but one of sadistic misery. Your removal from this universe will be the only good thing anyone will ever say about you ... and I am going to enjoy making it happen!
- Raven/Spectre gives one to Blackfire
- Tsundere: Wonder Girl briefly acts like a stereotypical version of one towards Speedy. Played for Laughs.
- Tuckerization: Jump City Police Commissioner Slack is named after Teen Titans writer/producer David Slack
- Villain Has a Point: Lois Lane finds herself agreeing with Lex Luthor in that letting Tamaraneans, a race of emotionally-prone living weapons, live amongst or near humans isnt a good idea.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Thunder, Lightning, Bushido, and Killowatt are all introduced on the long list of Supergirl's sex partners, and aren't mentioned again until they're unceremoniously killed by Blackfire.
- This applies to Herald as well, except that he also plays the important part of getting characters in and out of Raven's mind.
- Subverted with Jericho, as he's last seen aiding in the capture of Lex Luthor.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Lex Luthors hatred of space aliens (as well as Amazons and Atlanteans) is fueled by his desire to protect the human race from being conquered
- Barbara breaks off her friendship with Supergirl so that she won't ever be used to hurt her. She also turns herself into a Baby Trap to force Robin and Starfire to stay together because she believes it's the only to ensure Robin won't become a brooding loner like Batman.
- Wham Line:
- Chapter 23: "Crown Princess of Tamaran meet The Clown Prince of Crime!"
- Chapter 24: I wont forget this SISTER DEAR!!!
- Chapter 32: "See the baby I'm carrying? Not mine!"
- Chapter 45: Beneath his mask, Slade smiled for the first time in ages.