Joker's Wild is the first in a trilogy of Teen Titans fics by jarec. It can be found here, along with sequel Recovery (complete) and the final installment, Titanomachy (in-progress).
Joker's Wild and its sequels contain examples of:
- Bittersweet Ending: The titans managed to save Beast Boy from the clown's clutches, put a stop to Joker and Harley Quinn's plans to nuke Jump City and imprison them back to Arkham Asylum. But Beast Boy has suffered from a horrific torture with recovery from it seemingly impossible and many inhabitants of the Jump City ended up getting killed during Joker's brief reign in the city.
- Dark Fic: From the author's notes:
I wanted to address why I was doing this. The Titans typify a classic problem in TV. Good Heroes, Crappy Villains (Or GHCV disorder). I mean, lets look at the roster. An idiotic magician, a drooling fanboy, a harried father/mad scientist (who was the biggest loser in Gotham)... hardly the FBI's most wanted. The most villainous one there is Slade, and his big goal seems to be to make Robin his sidekick- which to me is more pathetic than threatening.
So I decided that the Titans needed a REAL villain to work with. Since I regard the Joker as one of the incarnations of Awesomeness (alongside such luminaries as Forever Knight, Mel Brooks, beef jerky and Moe Fine) I figured he was a good choice. Homicidal, with a darkly comedic tone.
- Disproportionate Retribution: The Joker shoots two chefs for thinking that a bagel is bread with a hole in it.
- His reason for kidnapping and torturing Beast Boy is because an action figure of him had 'I'm the king of jokers' as one of it's phrases.
- Dropped a Bridge on Him: The Hive Five get blown up by a grenade very early into the fic.
- Killed Off for Real: The Hive Five, Control Freak, Red X, and Killer Moth.