Demetria Devonne "Demi" Lovato (born August 20, 1992) is an American singer, songwriter and actress.
After featuring in the main cast of Barney & Friends as a child, Lovato later gained prominence as a teen idol singer associated with Disney projects. She starred in the 2009 Disney Channel Original Movie Camp Rock (and its 2010 sequel) opposite the Jonas Brothers, as well as kidcom Sonny with a Chance in the title role.
During her time with the company, she released two studio albums: 2008's Don't Forget, and 2009's Here We Go Again. She also co-starred in the Disney Channel Original Movie Princess Protection Program opposite childhood friend Selena Gomez, whom she previously acted with on Barney & Friends.
Amid creative differences and personal issues, Lovato quit Sonny With a Chance and parted ways with Disney. Her third studio album, 2011's Unbroken, featured a new sound that diverged from her original pop rock leanings to more of an R&B-inspired profile.
In 2012, she joined the judging panel of the American X Factor for its second season, eventually being assigned mentorship of the Young Adults category. She returned to the show for its third (and final) season in 2013, this time mentoring the Girls category. While on the show, she helped form the group that would later become Fifth Harmony.
Following her stint on X Factor, she released her fourth album, 2013's self-titled Demi. During this time, she also recurred on the fifth season of Glee as a love interest for Santana, and recorded the pop version of "Let It Go" from Disney's Frozen. She has since released an additional two more albums: 2015's Confident and 2017's Tell Me You Love Me.
- Don't Forget (2008)
- Here We Go Again (2009)
- Unbroken (2011)
- Demi (2013)
- Confident (2015)
- Tell Me You Love Me (2017)
- Barney & Friends (2002 — 2004) as Angela
- Camp Rock (2008) as Mitchie Torres
- Camp Rock 2: The Final Jam (2009)
- Sonny with a Chance (2009 — 2011) as Allison "Sonny" Munroe
- Princess Protection Program (2009) as Princess Rosalinda Maria Montoya Fiore / Rosie Gonzalez
- The X Factor (2012 — 2013) as herself (judge for the second and third seasons of the American version)
- Glee (2013) as Dani
- Smurfs The Lost Village (2017) as Smurfette (voice)
Tropes that apply to Demi Lovato's work:
- Alcoholic Parent: Sings about growing up with an alcoholic father who abused her and her mother in "For The Love Of A Daughter".
- A Date with Rosie Palms: Sings about this in Clean Bandit's "Solo".
- Action Girl: In the "Confident" music video, along with Michelle Rodriguez.
- Album Title Drop: Demi, the only album without a Title Track, has Cher Lloyd doing a Singer Name Drop on "Really Don't Care".
- The "Unbroken" song.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: "Trainwreck".
- Anti-Love Song: "Heart Attack", "Without the Love".
- Award-Bait Song: "Two Pieces" and "Nightingale".
- "Gift Of A Friend" from the Tinker Bell And The Lost Treasure soundtrack.
- Bi the Way: Her single "Cool For The Summer" has been interpreted by some fans as being about a girl getting involved with either a guy or a girl or both.
- Break-Up Song: "Everytime You Lie", "Don't Forget", "Gonna Get Caught", "Everything You're Not", "Mistake", "In Real Life", "Really Don't Care".
- Brooding Boy, Gentle Girl: "Give Your Heart A Break" is about her wanting to heal a boy that's been hurt in the past.
- Celeb Crush: She's said hers is William Beckett from The Academy Is...
- Cool Big Sis: Dallas Lovato is this to Demi, Demi is this to half-sister Madison De La Garza.
- Cover Version: "Mercy On Me", "Daydream", "How To Love".
- The Angry Birds Movie soundtrack features her cover of the Gloria Gaynor disco classic, "I Will Survive".
- Disappeared Dad: The Tear Jerker subject of her songs "For The Love Of A Daughter", "Shouldn't Come Back" and "Father".
- Early Installment Weirdness: Similarly to her friend Selena Gomez, Demi's earlier work often had more of a rock/guitar-heavy sound, but her music became more pop/dance/EDM-oriented later in her career.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: The "put one finger in the air" line in "Really Don't Care".
- "Got a taste for the cherry, I just need to take a bite" in "Cool for the Summer". It's either about Demi taking another girl's virginity or about her tasting the other girl's genitals. Either one is...wow.
- Girl-on-Girl Is Hot: "Cool for the Summer" is a primo example.
- Likes to Invoke this on her Tell Me You Love Me Tour with her some of her female backup dancers.
- Her live performance of "Lonely" features her kissing, serenading and grinding on surprise guest artist Kehlani's lap.
- Hopeless Suitor: The subject of "Something That We're Not".
- Hotter and Sexier: Big time.
- Intercourse with You: "Cool for the Summer".
- Just Friends: "Give Your Heart a Break", her hit in 2012, is about a girl trying to convince a male friend that they should be more.
- Melismatic Vocals: Not to Christina Aguilera levels, but Demi still goes pretty hard on this.
- Mood Whiplash: Unbroken falls halfway between hip-hop party anthems and Creator Breakdown fueled ballads. Justified as her breakdown occurred in-between the recording the album.
- New Sound Album: Unbroken has a more electro and R&B/Hip-Hop sound to it compared to her two previous albums, which were more rock oriented.
- Precision F-Strike: There's a video of her rapping a song by Drake feat. Big Sean, and she shouts "HOE, SHUT THE FUCK UP!" along with the music. It didn't attract anywhere near as much controversy as expected.
- Demi actually curses a lot in real life, even if she normally doesn't in her music.
- Her first F-strike in a song comes from "Cool for the Summer": "Even if they judge/fuck it, I'll do the time"
- Promoted Fanboy: worked with John Mayer, William Beckett JR of The Acadamy Is and Jon McLaughlin for Here We Go Again. Working with Britney Spears for The X Factor.
- Power of Friendship: "Two Worlds Collide" about her relationship with Selena Gomez.
- Real Life Writes the Plot: Because of personal issues, she didn't return to Sonny with a Chance, causing the series to do a Retool into So Random!.
- Rock Star Song: "La La Land".
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Everytime You Lie", "Mistake", "Everything You're Not.
- Self-Backing Vocalist: Not always, but it does happen (e.g. 'Catch Me'). Otherwise, she's had people like the Jonas Brothers and Kara DioGuardi as her backing singers in the studio.
- Self Empowerment Anthem: "Skyscraper"
- You can take everything I have/You can break everything I amLike I'm made of glass/Like I'm made of paperGo on and try to tear me downI will be rising from the ground/Like a skyscraper/Like a skyscraper
- Self-Titled Album: Her FOURTH album.
- Silly Love Songs: "Catch Me", "Trainwreck", "Hold Up", "In Real Life", "Unbroken", "Lightweight", "Stop the World", "My Love Is Like A Star", "Made in the USA", "Neon Lights", "Two Pieces", "Nightingale", "Never Been Hurt".
- Stalker with a Crush / Obsession Song: Until You're Mine treads the fine line between both of these concepts.
- Slap-Slap-Kiss: "Get Back", "Here We Go Again".
- Surprisingly Gentle Song: "For The Love Of A Daughter" and "Skyscraper" provide calm thoughtful moments on the Unbroken album.
- Take That!: La La Land is aimed at Hollywood AND Disney for their need to artificially perfect their teen idols.
- For The Love of A Daughter to her father.
- Everytime You Lie to the guy who did those things to her.
- Really Don't Care appeared to be one to Joe Jonas (though they're since reconciled).
- Waitin' For You and Sorry (Not Sorry) to her detractors.
- Three Minutes of Writhing: "Cool for the Summer", again.
- Title Track: All her albums but the self-titled one.
- A Wild Rapper Appears!: Cher Lloyd in the bridge of "Really Don't Care" plays with this - she's not a rapper on her own, and the first half of said bridge has her singing and not rapping, but the second half has the latter.
- Not too surprising, considering Cher Lloyd got noticed on the UK X Factor for rapping along with singing, and Cher's first album features her rapping on most of the tracks.
- Iggy Azalea on Kingdom Come from her fifth album Confident. Not surprising as the two are close friends.
- Your Cheating Heart: "Gonna Get Caught", "Everytime You Lie", "Solo", "U Got Nothing On Me", "World Of Chances"
- I'll come rising from the ground, like a skyscraper'