The New Mutants is a 2020 Spin-Off of the Fox X-Men film series. It is the thirteenth and final installment of the series, and the last spin-off. As the name suggests, it is an adaptation of the New Mutants comic book series. Josh Boone, of The Fault in Our Stars fame, is set to direct. It is set for release on April 3, 2020.
The film will be different in tone to the others in the series, being more in-line with a "teen horror movie". It revolves around five young mutants, just discovering their abilities while held in a secret facility against their will. When they learn of what secrets this certain facility has, they must fight to escape their past sins and save themselves.
Confirmed characters include:
- Illyana Nikolaevna Alexandria Rasputin / Magik (Anya Taylor-Joy)
- Rahne Sinclair / Wolfsbane (Maisie Williams)
- Danielle "Dani" Moonstar / Mirage (Blu Hunt)
- Samuel Zachary "Sam" Guthrie / Cannonball (Charlie Heaton)
- Roberto "Bobby" da Costa / Sunspot (Henry Zaga)
- Dr. Cecilia Reyes (Alice Braga)
The New Mutants holds the distinction of being the last movie in Fox's X-Men series to be released chronologically, as the long-running series was confirmed to be ending after Disney's acquisition of the company in favor of rebooting the series in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, though its predecessor Dark Phoenix is treated as the Grand Finale overall.
The New Mutants contains examples of:
- Adaptational Villainy: Dr. Reyes is a doctor who really wanted to help people in the comics, but at least the trailer, it seems she's more ambiguous at best or even a villain.
- Bears Are Bad News: The main antagonist of the film will be the Demon Bear.
- Bedlam House: The hospital by all accounts is an utter hellhole with all kinds of mundane and supernatural horror going on within.This isn't a hospital. It's a haunted house!
- Dark Reprise: The trailer is set on a very dark reprise of Pink Floyd's "Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2".
- Dark and Troubled Past: All of the Mutants have dark and troubled history. In the words of director Josh Boone They can't be with the other kids at the X-Mansion. They're too f***ed up. They've all killed people, whether intentionally or unintentionally."
- Genre Shift: The film has been reported to be more like a "teen horror movie", or a teen movie with a superhero bend.
- Malevolent Masked Man: A potential villain is a man with a white smiley face mask over their face.
- Mythology Gag: In one shot of the trailer a young Illyana can be seen clutching a stuffed purple dragon or dinosaur, referencing Lockheed.
- Not Wearing Tights: The film will contain no costumes and no supervillains.
- Out-of-Genre Experience: The core X-Men films are superhero movies. The New Mutants? A straight out horror movie crossing over a supernatural movie, a first (and, due to plans to reboot the series after the film, last) in the X-Men film canon since the supernatural hasn't been explored in it so far.
- Outside-Context Villain: The Demon Bear is set to be an antagonist and isn't a human or mutant but a bear-like demonic entity.
- Younger and Hipper: As one can imagine, the cast is focused on a younger set of characters than previous movies.