The New Mutants is an upcoming teen superhero horror film in the Fox X-Men film series. It is the thirteenth and final installment of the series, and the last Spin-Off. As the name suggests, it is an adaptation of the New Mutants comic book series (and, specifically, the "Demon Bear Saga"). Josh Boone, of The Fault in Our Stars fame, directed.
The film will be different in tone to the others in the series, being more in-line with a "teen horror movie". It revolves around five young mutants, just discovering their abilities while held in a secret facility against their will. When they learn of what secrets this certain facility has, they must fight to escape their past sins and save themselves.
The movie stars Anya Taylor-Joy as Illyana Nikolaevna Alexandria Rasputin (Magik), Maisie Williams as Rahne Sinclair (Wolfsbane), Blu Hunt as Danielle "Dani" Moonstar (Mirage), Charlie Heaton as Samuel Zachary "Sam" Guthrie (Cannonball), Henry Zaga as Roberto "Bobby" da Costa (Sunspot), and Alice Braga as Dr. Cecilia Reyes.
The New Mutants holds the distinction of being the last movie in Fox's X-Men series to be released chronologically, as the long-running series was confirmed to be ending after Disney's acquisition of the company in favor of the Mutants in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The film itself was subject to multiple delays due to Fox considering extensive reshoots that never occurred (in part due to limited availability of the cast), and was further pushed back by Disney's acquisition of Fox, though the final film is in-line with what director Josh Boone sought to make.
In spite of being the last movie produced by the old guard, its predecessor Dark Phoenix was treated as the Grand Finale for Fox's X-Men films overall. Due to the delays, Dark Phoenix was the last movie released under the 20th Century Fox logo; thanks to the rebranding of the company as 20th Century Studios, The New Mutants will also be the sole production from the Marvel-Fox braintrust to release under the new label. Due to the concerns over the 2020 COVID-19 pandemic, the film has been postponed to August 28, 2020.
The New Mutants contains examples of:
- Animal Metaphor: Dr. Cecilia Reyes asks Dani if she knows that baby rattlesnakes are more dangerous than adult ones because they cannot yet control the amount of venom they secrete, as she's drawing blood from her. It's clearly a thinly-veiled metaphor regarding the young mutants' less-than-stellar control over their own powers.Dr. Reyes: All of you are dangerous. That is why you are here.
- Badass Boast:
- In the second trailer, Illyana is asked why she is in the institution in the first place. Her reply definitely qualifies.Dr. Reyes: Illyana?Illyana: I killed eighteen men. One ... by ... one.
- Illyana has another one when Rahne and Sam try to stop her from taking on the Demon Bear:Sam: That thing will kill you!Rahne: He's right; that thing's magic.Illyana: So am I. (cue her Glowing Eyes and a confident smirk)
- In the second trailer, Illyana is asked why she is in the institution in the first place. Her reply definitely qualifies.
- Big Bad: The Demon Bear is the primary supernatural force haunting the facility and threatening the Mutants.
- Bears Are Bad News: Throughout the second trailer, the Demon Bear terrorizes Rahne and Illyana. While Illyana is more or less prepared to fend it off with the Soul Sword, Rahne is reduced to screaming and covering her ears in fear as it corners her in a church confession booth.
- Glowing Eyes: Illyanna sports glowing white eyes as she faces off against the Demon Bear at the end of the second trailer.
- In Love with Your Carnage: Played for Laughs in one of the trailers when the boys (Sam and Roberto) witness Illyana kicking major butt, complete with the Soul Sword and her Glowing Eyes.Bobby: That was so hot.
- Moody Trailer Cover Song: Both trailers are set to a very dark reworking of Pink Floyd's "Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2".
- Mythology Gag: In one shot of the trailer, a young Illyana can be seen clutching a stuffed purple dragon or dinosaur, referencing Lockheed.
- Two Girls to a Team: Inverted. The New Mutants' team has three girls (Illyana, Rahne, and Dani) and two boys (Sam and Roberto).