Anya-Josephine Marie Taylor-Joy (born April 16, 1996) is an American-Argentine-British actress.note
She was born in Miami, Florida when her parents were on holiday there. On her father's side, she has Scottish and Argentine heritage. From her mother, English and Spanish. She grew up living in Buenos Aires until age six when her family moved to London. Because of this, she speaks Spanish fluently along with English. According to her, it was difficult to fit in both places, and she was often bullied.
She is known for her frequent roles in horror films and thrillers; she starred as the protagonist in The VVitch, the title role in Morgan, and Casey Cooke in M. Night Shyamalan's Split and Glass, though her career has very much diversified since.
She garnered a great deal of critical acclaim in 2020 for her role as chess prodigy Beth Harmon in the Netflix miniseries The Queen's Gambit, winning a Golden Globe Award for it in 2021. She's also been cast as a younger Furiosa in a Mad Max: Fury Road prequel project.
- The VVitch (2015) as Thomasin
- Morgan (2016) as Morgan
- Barry (2016) as Charlotte Baughman
- Split (2017) as Casey Cooke
- Glass (2019)
- Marrowbone (2017) as Allie
- Thoroughbreds (2018) as Lily Reynolds
- Playmobil: The Movie (2019) as Marla Brenner
- Emma. (2020) as Emma Woodhouse
- Radioactive (2020) as Irene Curie
- The New Mutants (2020) as Illyana Rasputin / Magik
- Here Are the Young Men (2020) as Jen
- Last Night in Soho (2021) as Sandie
- The Northman (2022) as Olga
- Untitled Super Mario Bros. Film (2023) as Princess Peach (voice)
- Furiosa (2024) as young Furiosa
- Endeavour (2014) as Philippa Collins-Davidson
- Viking Quest (2014) as Mani
- Atlantis (2015) as Cassandra
- The Miniaturist (2017) as Petronella "Nella" Brandt
- Peaky Blinders (2019, 2022) as Gina Gray
- The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance (2019) as Brea (voice)
- The Queen's Gambit (2020) as Beth Harmon
- The Cast Showoff: She gets to show off her singing and dancing talents in Last Night in Soho.
- Contralto of Danger: Her sultry voice goes hand-in-hand with the deadlier, sneakier characters she's played.
- Dye Hard: She's a natural blonde, but had her hair dark earlier in her career and even went red-haired for her role as Beth Harmon.
- Statuesque Stunner: She's 5'8" and her unique beauty is often highlighted in her roles.
- What Beautiful Eyes!: Her eyes are just something else.