The characters below only shows examples that are in the game. For more detailed examples, see the Touhou characters page.
Reimu HakureiThe main character of the game. She has average stats in everything, but she is played more as a spellcaster. She excels in light-elemental magic, and her skills also provide protection for the party against enemy attacks. Her weapon is a gohei, a blunt-type weapon that improves her light spells further.
- Attack Reflector: She can reflect breath attacks.
- Barrier Warrior: Her support specialty.
- Crippling Overspecialization: All of Reimu's spells are light element, so if something immune to light shows up she's useless offensively.
- Deflector Shield: Her support skills are mostly this, nullifying incoming damage or status effects.
- Flanderization: This game seems to jack up Reimu's Jerkass attitude by a lot.
- Jack-of-All-Stats: Has average stats in everything, but her magic shines more.
- Light 'em Up: Her spells are all light-elemental.
- The Red Mage: She can dish out damage, heal, and even protect teammates from harm.
Marisa KirisameShe joins as part of your initial party. The first dedicated offensive spellcaster. She excels at dealing Mystic-elemental damage with her lasers and Master Spark, while also having some elemental spells as well. Her weapon is a broom, a stab-type weapon that also gives magic bonuses and improves her spells.
- Black Mage: The first primarily offensive mage you'll get.
- Broomstick Quarterstaff: She wields it like a spear though.
- Fire, Ice, Lightning: Her stardust spells.
- Squishy Wizard: She can't take hits well
Sanae KochiyaShe joins as part of your initial party. The healer and group supporter. Her spells are all healing and buffs all party members. She can also revive teammates. Aside from that she has some offensive magic that is not quite useful. Her weapon is snakes, a slash-type weapon that also inflict status effects.
- Healer Signs On Early: She's the primary healer and she's in the initial party.
- Support Party Member: Her skills are mostly healing and buffing. She doesn't have good offensive spell to use.
- Status Buff: Her specialty besides healing. She gives buffs to the whole party.
- Whip It Good: Her weapons are snakes that are used this way
- White Mage: The primary healer and group supporter. She's also the only one who can revive outside of Mokou's commander skill.
Aya ShameimaruShe joins as part of your initial party. The fastest character in your party. She excels at manipulating turn order and improving the evasion and accuracy of allies. Her weapon is a fan, a blunt-type weapon.
- Action Initiative: Her specialty. She can make someone or the whole party move first. This also includes making a target move last.
- Attack Reflector: She can reflect breath attacks like Reimu, but it doesn't cost a bomb and can be used every turn, making it more effective.
- Combat Hand Fan: Her Weapon of Choice
- Enemy Scan: Her "Report" skill scans the enemy to add additional information in the bestiary. Only useful for 100% Completion.
- Razor Wind: Her attacking skills are this.
- Super Mode: When she uses her Last Word "Thunderclap Gale", she can attack twice and have increased stats.
Sakuya IzayoiShe joins after beating Stage 2. She is the first dedicated physical attacker in your party. Her skills are either multi-hitting or inflict instant death. She can also set the field to include various effect such as preventing all healing or giving lifesteal to all attacks done by allies. Her weapon is a double-handed sword, a very strong but inaccurate slash-type weapon.
- BFS: Her Weapon of Choice, very strong but inaccurate. Many of them also carry slayer effects.
- Flechette Storm: Most of her skills involve throwing many knives to the opponent, some of them are multi-hitting.
- Super Mode: Her Last Word, "Sakuya's World" gives her immense stat boost and 100 Exorcism.
- Time Stands Still: Her spell cards can set a field effect which works like Quick from Final Fantasy, or stop the enemies from moving.
Patchouli KnowledgeShe joins after beating Stage 2. The second offensive spellcaster. She can use all elements, but she specializes in fire, water, earth, and lightning elements. Surprisingly has high physical attack. Her weapon is a book, a blunt-type weapon that improves her spells.
- Black Mage: She's the second offensive spellcaster after Marisa, and she can use all elements, but mostly they're fire, water, earth, and lightning.
- Cast from Hit Points: One of her skills lets her regain MP at the cost of her lives.
- Colony Drop: The animation for "Hot Jupiter" involves a sphere like Jupiter crashing the field with electricity.
- Glass Cannon: Patchouli has very strong magic and can even deal decent physical damage with the right build, either way she can't take a hit.
- Squishy Wizard: Very strong magic attacker, very weak defense.
- Throw the Book at Them: Her Weapon of Choice.
Nitori KawashiroShe joins after beating Stage 2. She's the second physical attacker, while she can also provide some support to the party. She has elemental skills, and she has an unique skill in "Chasers", which when she uses it, she will attack enemies after an ally use an attack corresponding to the element used. Her weapon is a gun, a stab-type weapon that always carries slayer against Warriors and Magicians.
- BFG: Some of her weapons, with one of them looking like a mini-tank.
- Cool Guns: Her Weapon of Choice, which always carries slayer effect to Warriors and Magicians.
- Deflector Shield: Some of her spell cards is this by nullifying the next attack done at her or her party
- Fantastic Nuke: Her Last Word "Atomic Kappa" sends an atomic missile towards a single enemy target for very high damage.
- Fire, Ice, Lightning: Her elemental skills are in these elements.
Alice MargatroidShe joins after beating Stage 3. She is the party's only dedicated tank. She specializes in protecting her allies using her shield, and also can cover them so that she is the one who takes the incoming damage. Her weapon is greaves, a blunt-type weapon that inflicts daze and gives defensive bonuses.
- Cast from Hit Points: Her 2-bomb spell card "Straw Doll Kamikaze" uses half of her current HP to damage enemies. The less HP she has, the weaker it is. The HP loss can be reduced to a quarter by maxing one of her skill tree.
- Draw Aggro: She has a skill which makes enemies target her.
- Flunky Boss: Her boss battle involves deploying dolls to protect her.
- Nigh-Invulnerability: Her Last Word, "Alice Guard" makes her immune to all attacks thrown at her.
- Stone Wall: The primary tank of the party, with little offense except for one spell card.
- Taking the Bullet: She can cover one person or even an entire party from attacks.
Satori KomeijiShe joins after beating Stage 5. Initially she will only have status and debuffing spells with no damaging skills, but her main strength is that she can copy enemy skills by being hit by them although at a percentage chance. Her weapon is an eye, a slash-type weapon that carries elemental properties.
- A-Cup Angst: She doesn't like being called flat.
- Berserk Button: Do not call her flat-chested!
- Elite Tweak: With enough skill learning, she could easily become the most useful party member.
- Enemy Scan: She can scan enemies to show their HP and weakness. Useful for the first time, but becomes useless immediately because the bestiary records all stats including weaknesses.
- Luck-Based Mission: Learning the enemy skills. This can be improved by enhancing her skill tree.
- Magikarp Power: Starts out not impressive. However, she will be increasingly useful as you later obtain more enemy skills for her.
- Mind over Manners: Upon denying the request from the party to join them, decided to reveal Reimu's not-so-polite thoughts to back her up, then start on the other party members' thoughts as well - which are petty and totally unrelated things. She got so much into mind reading that she didn't realize that every single party member (including those who normally object to violent methods) is now surrounding her with a livid expression, hellbent on beating her up.
- Power Copying: She can obtain enemy skills by being hit like a Blue Mage. However, she's not guaranteed to learn them, and she can only learn one spell at a time. She will only get the last spell she learns.
- Squishy Wizard: She can't take hits, fortunately skills can be learned even if it's a fatal blow, but you still need to win the battle to keep the learned spells.
Youmu KonpakuShe joins after beating Stage 6. Using her is a bit different because she needs to use a stance before she can access her powerful moves while also give stat boosts. She excels in inflicting status effects and dealing massive damage in critical hits. Her weapon is a katana, a slash-type weapon that is strong and accurate and often gives bonus to critical hits.
- Blade Spam: Several of her skills have this animation.
- Counter Attack: She can buff herself with a status that allows her to counter any physical attacks.
- Critical Hit Class: She only has average physical attack for an attacker, but this is compensated by having a high critical rate. One of her skills also makes her next attack a guaranteed critical hit.
- Doppelgänger Attack: Her upgraded Infinity +1 Sword transforms her ghost-half into a clone of herself and attack the enemies.
- Lightning Bruiser: Has good attack, high defense, and is also rather fast to boot.
- Single-Stroke Battle: Her Last Word has her blitzing through the field and inflicts instant death to all enemies. It doesn't always work though.
- Stance System: Her playstyle. She has to enter one of three stances before she can use her more powerful skills. Aside from that the stances also give useful stat boosts.
Fujiwara no MokouShe can be recruited at the start of the game, but if you didn't, she automatically joins when entering Stage 9. Another strong physical attacker, but also fast and very durable. Her skills are mostly fire-elemental, and she has reraise spells that can save party members if hit by a fatal attack. Her skill tree can give her a small chance to revive herself after she's KO'ed. Her weapon is fist, a blunt-type weapon that has high accuracy and often inflicts various status.
- Good Old Fisticuffs: She fights using her fists, her Weapon of Choice being Power Fist.
- Konami Code: Her recruitment involves going through the Bamboo Forest maze according to the code's directions.
- Last Chance Hit Point: Some of her spell cards and commander skill gives this effect.
- Lightning Bruiser: She has very high strength, defense, and decent speed.
- Playing with Fire: Most of her skills are fire-elemental.
Byakuren HijiriShe can be recruited at the start of the game, but if you didn't, she automatically joins when entering Stage 11. Her skills all revolve around giving buffs and debuffs like Sanae, but her skills are single target. She also carries status effects, light and dark-elemental spells, as well as some healing. Her weapon is a scroll, a slash-type weapon that reduce incoming damage to her.
- The Red Mage: She's like Reimu but more support oriented and has dark-elemental spells. She can't protect teammates though.
- Spell Blade: She can imbue others' weapon with any element except Mystic.
- Support Party Member: She can buff your party like Sanae, but her spells are all single target. She can also debuff enemies.
- Waiting Puzzle: Her recruitment requires you to wait one hour in real time in the Myouren Temple.
- Yin-Yang Bomb: She can use both light and dark element.
GenjiAn old and wise turtle. He's that same Genji that Reimu used to ride in the PC-98 games. In this game he's now serving for the antagonists and fights you to protect them.
- Breath Weapon: He has powerful breath skills.
- FaceHeel Turn: He was Reimu's flying turtle in PC-98 era Touhou, but now he serves the antagonists.
- Recurring Boss: Fought twice, with the second paired up with Matsuba.
- Revenge: Seems to be his motive to oppose Reimu and friends.
- Schmuck Bait: Tries to pull this off to the main characters. It fails.
- Took a Level in Badass: In this game, he can put up a fight with the main characters despite being an old turtle. He's what Sage Ghido would be if he was a boss.
- The One Guy: The only male antagonist and plot-important character.
- Turtle Power
Matsuba KurenaiA crab youkai serving as the gatekeeper of the enemy stronghold. She has large scissors that are powerful enough to cut rocks.
- Absurdly Sharp Blade: Her scissors can cut through rocks.
- Animal Motifs: She's a crab youkai.
- Degraded Boss: She can be summoned by the Final Boss later on, having decreased stats.
- Expy: Of Hong Meiling. They're both gatekeepers that serve the instigators of a mist incident.
- Gate Guardian: She guards the entrance of Lakebed Temple.
- Mundane Utility: In the expansion prologue, Biotopos requests for snacks in the bar, and then telling the workers to not bother preparing them as Matsuba can cut them up right away. Matsuba isn't quite happy about it.
- Original Character
- Power Pincers: Her scissors, as part of her crab motif.
- Recurring Boss: Fought twice, with the second paired up with Genji.
Three MaidsA trio of maids serving the antagonists and will fight you for trespassing the enemy stronghold. They are youkais based on aquatic creatures.
- Animal Motifs: They're based on aquatic creatures.
- Degraded Boss: They can be summoned by the Final Boss later on, having decreased stats.
- Ninja Maid: All of them are maids serving the antagonists and they are very capable of wiping your party.
- Original Character
- Animal Motifs: She's a blowfish youkai.
- Fixed Damage Attack: Her skill 1000 needles.
- I Am Not Weasel: Mistaken for a sea urchin youkai. She tries to correct this, but the main characters have walked away before she corrects them.
- Poisonous Person: She excels in inflicting poison on your party.
- Everything's Squishier with Cephalopods: She's an octopus youkai.
- Little Bit Beastly: She has four extra tentacles to complete her octopus imagery.
Gorgon SistersThe instigators of the mist incident. They originally came from the Outside World, then migrated to Gensokyo because they have lost faith and want to regain it.
- Big Bad Duumvirate: They all work together in causing the incident.
- Defeat Means Friendship: As per usual in Touhou. They stay in Gensokyo and become popular with the residents too.
- Fusion Dance: Does this in their final battle to turn One-Winged Angel.
- Final Boss
- Gods Need Prayer Badly: One of the main reasons why the Gorgon Sisters carried out the incident. They wanted to reclaim the followers they had lost in the Outside World.
- Increasingly Lethal Enemy: If you let them live for 9 turns in the second phase of the final battle, they will become the True Final Boss.
- One-Winged Angel: The result of their Fusion Dance.
- Original Character
- Our Gods Are Different: They're based on Greek Mythology rather than Japanese ones.
- Sequential Boss: Their last battle has three phases. First is a tag team where they take turns attacking, second when they are weakened and trying to fuse together, and the last phase which they are combined into one and turn One-Winged Angel.
- Shown Their Work: Many of their traits are true in the mythology they're based on.
- Reptiles Are Abhorrent: They all have reptile motif and they're the instigator of the incident, although they're a lot nicer after the ending.
- Third Eye: All the sisters have a third eye of some sort. Only Litos' eye is real.
- True Final Boss: Letting them live for 9 turns in the second phase of the final battle will turn them to this. They have double HP, increased stats, and attack up to four turns. They also don't have a species to use slayer effects on.
Anastasis Stheno GorgonThe oldest of the three sisters. She's a crocodile goddess possessing superhuman strength and powerful regenerative abilities.
- Affectionate Nickname: Her sisters call her Sis.
- Bare Your Midriff: Her first battle sprite.
- Dynamic Entry: Before her boss fight, she ambushes the party members by punching through a wall.
- Giggling Villain: Frequently giggles, which makes her even creepier than her sisters.
- Hair Decorations: Has a hairband on her head.
- Healing Factor: Is stated to have regenerative powers, which is shown by having 999 HP regen in her boss fight.
- Little Bit Beastly: Has crocodile tail and hands.
- Never Smile at a Crocodile: She's a crocodile goddess that has Super Strength and can tear you up a new one.
- Rapid-Fire Fisticuffs: Her signature spell card, "Muscle Revolution".
- Rapunzel Hair: She has very long red hair.
- Statuesque Stunner: The tallest of the sisters.
- Super Strength: Very strong, enough to be able to match an oni.
Biotopos Euryale GorgonThe second of the three sisters. She's a turtle goddess that can control life force using her mist.
- Animal Motifs: Turtles.
- Cool Chair: Shaped like a turtle's shell.
- Field Power Effect: Her main gimmick in her boss fight.
- Hard-Drinking Party Girl: She really enjoys drinking.
- Good Smoking, Evil Smoking: She's regularly seen smoking with her pipe.
- Last Ditch Move: Uses "Aging Drizzle" after she hits 0 HP, which guarantees Total Party Kill if you don't know about it.
- Mysterious Mist: She's the one who spreads the mist to Gensokyo.
- Nice Hat: Along with a weathercock thing on top.
- Retractable Weapon: She can somehow change her pipe's length.
- Slouch of Villainy: Her default sprite is reclining on her shell.
- Suddenly Sober: When facing the perpetrator in the expansion.
- The Worf Effect: Although she puts up a good fight, she still lose to the expansion's villain, though being drunk might have something to do with it.
- Turtle Power: She's a turtle goddess.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: She has short blue hair.
Litos Medousa GorgonThe youngest of the three sisters. She's a snake goddess that can petrify people with her third eye.
- Animal Motifs: Snakes.
- All Your Powers Combined: Has her sisters' spell card in her playable self.
- Defeat Means Playable: She becomes playable after beating her and her sisters.
- Dishing Out Dirt: Stone Shower.
- Fixed Damage Attack: Her specialty.
- Nice Hat: Frilly hat with snakes on it.
- Number of the Beast: The "Minus/Maenads" spell deals 666 damage. The upgraded version "Ras Algol Maenads" deals 6666 damage.
- Pimped-Out Dress: Has a nice-looking black dress along with a snake coiling around her.
- Promoted to Playable: She becomes playable in the expansion, wanting to avenge her sister.
- Rapunzel Hair: Has long green hair.
- Royal Rapier: Her Weapon of Choice, which always carries 100 Exorcism and a status effect.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Litos or Lithos?
- Taken for Granite: Her other specialty.
- Tsundere: She acts like a typical tsundere. Yukari lampshades this when they meet.
- Winged Humanoid: Has golden wings.
- Wings Do Nothing: Her wings are there only as decorations.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: She has green hair.
- Youngest Child Wins: She's the youngest of the Gorgon Sisters, is the primary instigator, and she's playable in the expansion.
Litos Medousa GorgonShe joins at the start of the expansion. She's the previous Big Bad and joins forces with you to avenge Biotopos. She has some of her sister's spell cards, but her main strength is magic and Fixed Damage Attacks. Her weapon is a rapier, a stab-type weapon that always gives 100 exorcism and inflicts status effects.
See her entry in the Antagonists folder.
CirnoShe joins after the mission "Unblurred Ice Fairy". Her skills are all water-elemental, and her main specialty is inflicting freeze on her opponents, while also having instant death skills. Her weapon is an ice, a slash-type weapon that has added water-elemental damage.
- An Ice Person: Although it's water-elemental in the game.
- Counter Attack: She can set a buff to herself so that she can counter any attack with a water-elemental attack.
- Crippling Overspecialization: In a similar vein to Reimu, all of Cirno's attacks and skills are water elemental.
- Fragile Speedster: Very fast, but the rest of her stats leave something to be desired.
- Joke Character: After a fashion, she has a very strong skill set but lacks the stats to actually use it effectively. This can be mitigated somewhat using accessories though.
- Weaksauce Weakness: Weak to fire, obviously. One of the few in the entire game to have skull weakness (8x damage).
Reisen Udongein InabaShe joins after the mission "Teacher and Student's Mochi Pounding". Her skills are unique in that they have slayer effect against status effects. Her skill tree also has slayer effects against many enemy types, making her suitable for general adventuring. Her weapon is a suppository, a stab-type weapon that inflicts berserk to enemies.
- Mechanically Unusual Class: Other characters have a rather straightforward playstyle. Reisen however revolves around giving status effects to increase her damage output.
- Situational Damage Attack: Her skills have slayer against status effects, which stacks with the slayer effects on her weapon and her skill tree, multiplying the damage even further.
Remilia ScarletShe joins after the mission "Milady's Gone Mad!". As befitting of a vampire, she has incredible strength and speed, but unfortunately she can't take many hits. Her skills are mostly damage dealing with some having lifesteal. Her weapon is a javelin, a stab-type weapon that is very strong but very inaccurate.
- Baleful Polymorph: Her Last Word can turn enemies on the field into yukkuris.
- Glass Cannon: Very strong and very fast, but low hp and defense.
- Life Drain: Her specialty.
- Javelin Thrower: Her Weapon of Choice.
Yuugi HoshigumaShe joins after beating Stage 22. She's similar to Mokou, except that all of her skills are non-elemental. Her weapon is various throwing weapons, a blunt-type weapon that mostly carry slayer effects.
- Attack! Attack! Attack!: Her main strategy, she has no support skills except for two self-buffs and her Last Word.
- Battlecry: Her Last Word, which increases the damage dealt by all party members.
- Critical Hit Class: Similar to Youmu, having a skill tree that enhance the chance and damage, but she doesn't need it as much as Youmu.
- 11th-Hour Ranger: She never appeared in the game until the expansion, where she's a boss and then joins the party after being defeated.
- Fastball Special: One of her weapons is named Suika, which involves throwing Suika Ibuki holding a watermelon (suika).
- Fuuma Shuriken: Her Infinity -1 Sword.
- Mighty Glacier: Has very high STR, but one of the slowest character.
- Rapid-Fire Fisticuffs: One of her spell cards does this, complete with Shout-Out to Akuma.